It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to Cut Funding for NPR/PBS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
A subcommittee in the house of representatives has voted to cut funding to PBS and NPR by 25% by next year. In addition, this same committee has decided to completely cut federal funding to the CPB (Corporation for Public Broadcasting) within 2 years.

www.washingtonpost.com
A House subcommittee voted yesterday to sharply reduce the federal government's financial support for public broadcasting, including eliminating taxpayer funds that help underwrite such popular children's educational programs as "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow," "Arthur" and "Postcards From Buster."

In addition, the subcommittee acted to eliminate within two years all federal money for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting -- which passes federal funds to public broadcasters -- starting with a 25 percent reduction in CPB's budget for next year, from $400 million to $300 million.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Once again, our children suffer for the greed of those in power. Where is this money going to go? More money for war to kill the children whose education we are destroying? This is absolutely ridiculous. It looks to me almost like blackmail. Show what we want you to show or you lose our money. I guess the CPB can take the P out of its name now.

Related News Links:
civic.moveon.org
www.moveon.org

[edit on 12-6-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
If they showed more programs dedicated to Creationism and Belief and less shows on science, fact and education, I am sure that their budget would double.

Sorry its snarky but I couldn't help myself.

The United States is a capitalist culture, why would there be a public broadcast anyway that can justify its existence without making a profit.

Snarky again, Guess I better just shut up.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I couldn't help but get upset about it too (notice the less than objective last paragraph of the submission). I can't see what possible reason they would have to cut funding to the CPB. The reason they give is pathetic at best.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
That's a major loss for us. I had been telling people about it around here, I just can't believe that they are doing this. I grew up with Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street. Entertaining programs for kids that at the same time also taught us things. So sad. Then there's NPR, which is also a great source of information on the radio. When did Congress forget that they work for the people and not for themselves only? Ludicrous.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
as if the guys on NPR asking for donations wasn't bad already!!! I guess we can say goodbye to good old car talk (I love that lol). NPR was one of the only mainstream reliable sources I think. The stuff may not have been true, but at least it wasn't hate filled and bias, I guess thats a good reason to get rid of it. Letting people decide on their own...yea too good to be true.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Why is there any need for "public" broadcasting PBS garbage what so ever. Their funding should be private or corporate................PBS is nothing but left wing nut jobs anyway................kill it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,kill it NOW............Bravo............
(author leaps to his feet, cheering wildly)

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It really is a shame. I grew up watching Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers and 3-2-1 Contact, and my mum used to work for CTW, so you know their programming was one of the few salient features of my childhood.

People who watch PBS and listen to NPR are more likely to have correct information than those who watch the other channels - that's a fact.

This country is dumb enough as it is, don't ya' think? Do we really need more stupid people, more kids without basic values, less of a focus on reading and erudition? No, we don't.

NPR/PBS has never been more necessary and, apparently, never less appreciated.

I fear for the country that relies on the altruism of self-interested corporations to rescue it from ignorance, I truly do. :shk:

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis
Why is there any need for "public" broadcasting PBS garbage what so ever. Their funding should be private or corporate................PBS is nothing but left wing nut jobs anyway................kill it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,kill it NOW............Bravo............

Im guessing this is definate sarcasim. If not then just wow. I dont think I can even respond to a comment like this because it just says so much about the lack of understanding. I doubt anything I could say would change something as....ignorant, as that.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

This is going to be a short, one line post

I concur wholeheartedly, the sooner NPR is off the airwaves, the better

woooohoooooooooooo!

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This is just completely disturbing. people are happy that this source of media is gone. NPR is one of the better mainstream sources in the media. It isnt great, but at least its not fox or CNN. Its sick how people hate an unbias source so much as to wish it doesn't get heard. I guess its a matter of fear though. They are afriad that if unbias news gets out, people might start to think for themselves. They wouldn't have a prejudged opinion before they even think about the issue. Then, the whole deal would come crashing down on those who fear educated minds.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Check your montly Direct Tv, Dish Network or local cable statement, you are already paying for PBS.

If you have cable or satellite, you are paying for PBS twice, three times if you pledge.

Monthly sat or cable statement-1
Federal taxes-2
Plegde to PBS-3

I enjoy PBS and I pay for it !

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
THe last time they threatened to pull the funding from public broadcasting, npr mentions this fact...

did ya know there were people out there, mainly on the indian reservations, where well, npr is all they get!!! I would love to find the documentation for this, some proof, and well, send it to all the congressmen!!! If there are people out there that rely on public radio as their only source of news and weather, well, this goes beyond being wrong and cheap!! it borders on unconsiousable negligence!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well, they are still getting almost $1 million/day, so they are not bankrupt. And the proposed cuts could very well be restored in the future.

Their fundraising marathons are very successful, and now with these cuts, I believe that they will be able to make up the difference with more aggressive campaigns.

And just remember - there were decisions to make regarding funding. As the committee chairman stated, there were choices to make:

The subcommittee had to decide, he said, on cutting money for public broadcasting or cutting college grants, special education, worker retraining and health care programs. "No one's out to get" public broadcasting, Regula said. "It's not punitive in any way."

Which of those programs would you cut, if you were the decision maker?

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I really don't see the logic behind it. Could someone explain to me how NPR and PBS are such a drain on the governments budget that we must cut it.

I don't have cable, and the only thing I can watch on television without being bombarded with corperate advertisement is PBS. As for radio, NPR is my only refuge from the Clearchannel monster that is eating up good taste on the radio.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
NPR is one of the few non political, and non corporate owned media sources for our country...

in a sense, it is truly our "freedom speech radio"

With no agendas, and no bias, it is the only source for real news from the citizens perspective...

the Myth about it being "left leaning" is garbage, and just shows how far off kilter our so called "Mainstream" has gotten...

We are so far to the right, that the middle looks like left...

NPR serves a very important role, and if left wanting, there is nothing that will fill its place of truth...

I can only hope that funding is restored...
but hey, at worst, they might have to drop some programs, at least they can still report news...

Regarding the funding... isn't always so nice how they give us all the sacred cows to choose from (i.e. education, scholorships, ect)
now let us choose between these options:

Software programs bought for DHS, that are not used for anything, and no one knows how to operate them... $21 million
or fund NPR

Raises for congress
or fund NPR

A war we are not "winning"
or fund NPR

buy another 3rd world tyrant off
or fund NPR

The choices become so much easier when you see the options...

As to the many people that commented " couldn't happen fast enough"
When you go to sleep at night, be sure to praise your lilly white jesus, that you never need to be concered with "evil" things like NPR...
sorry, that was tacky, even for me...

[edit on 12-6-2006 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Regarding the funding... isn't always so nice how they give us all the sacred cows to choose from (i.e. education, scholorships, ect)
now let us choose between these options:

Software programs bought for DHS, that are not used for anything, and no one knows how to operate them... $21 million
or fund NPR

Raises for congress
or fund NPR

A war we are not "winning"
or fund NPR

buy another 3rd world tyrant off
or fund NPR

The choices become so much easier when you see the options...

Of course the choices are easier when you put those items on the table.
But there is so much more that needs funding before NPR.... homelessness, affordable health care, affordable housing, etc.

NPR is a luxury. If it is to exist without gov't funding, it will have to pass the test of surviving by practicing good business methods.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Lazarus, absolutely.

It's all in how they frame the question.

Nevermind all the money lost, wasted, and stolen by our public servants. We have to choose between necessities.

Edit: Thanks to MirthfulMe, for helping me get my facts straight.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
NPR could appeal to a wider audience if it were more balanced in it's reporting. An example follows:

BBC and NPR lead biased leftist media in anti-Israel reporting

An excerpt from the article follows:

A recent example of NPR's bias is its seven-part report on the history of the Arab-Israeli conflict "The Mideast: A Century of Conflict." This report pretends to represent a pluralistic viewpoint, a narrative woven around the views of experts. But these "experts" are anything but impartial. They were carefully selected and deployed to back up NPR's biased narrative. They include eight harsh critics of Israel – four Arab radicals, such as the late Edward Said and an unofficial spokesperson of the PLO (a fact NPR hides) Phillip Mattar, plus four extreme left-wing Israelis who want to see Israel denuded of its Jewish nature.

The full article is available for anyone to read.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

PBS is nothing but left wing nut jobs anyway................kill it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,kill it

You know that you are breaking the T&C by posting that right?? Isn't Michael Moore already in your avatar???

And if you want to kill the nutjobs btw... You could kill the whole mainstream news from the U.S. All are nutjobs...

PBS actually did a very interesting documentary on Nicola Tesla for one. For that reason alone it should stay.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

NPR is a luxury.

I disagree. Information is not a luxury, it's the philosopher's stone of survival. Without information an organism is helpless, destined to be prey for those 'in the know.'

We developed sensory organs to help us survive. Media is the societal sensory organ, it's designed to be our eyes and ears. Would you cut off your ears, or gouge out your eyes?

How can we make good decisions without good information?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join