It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to Cut Funding for NPR/PBS

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I ask you, where are the Muslim programs on PBS? The Jewish? The Hindu, Budhist?

Here's your Christian programming BTW
www.pbs.org...

May I remind you that not everyone is Chritian.

Now please compare that link to the 3500 hit for Muslim in thsi link

www.pbs.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I didn't do a search for this, I just checked stuff for Christmas. As searches go, Christian comes up 6100 times
www.pbs.org...

Next?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Oh no you don't Thermopolis, you're not going to turn this topic into a he said/she said thread.

Now are you going to answer Umbrax's questions?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

Originally posted by thermopolis
Well there intrepid, where is the bible study program, or following the ten commandments? Where is any christain related program?

Because Liberals are not christians and all conservatives are?

Accusing PBS of Liberal bias because it doesn’t have Christian programming seems a little silly doesn’t it?

Sorry I missed this..........YES........the lack of Christian programing does indicate a liberal bias on PBS................but not all conservatives are christian.........

PBS is funded by tax dollars and should provide programing based on what the people want and reflect such VALUES. It is not now nor has never been anything other than a liberal education system. The billions made from marketing of central characters such as the "muffets" etc should have gone back into the funding.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So, because there are more christians than anyone else, the programming that everyone watches must be Christian? Teaching a Budhist that Christ is his savior with federal money is about as absurd as this converation can get.

I should add that behind Christianity, the next highest population in the US is that of No Religion so, put that on your cross and pray to it.

[edit on 13-6-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   

PBS is funded by tax dollars and should provide programing based on what the people want and reflect such VALUES. It is not now nor has never been anything other than a liberal education system. The billions made from marketing of central characters such as the "muffets" etc should have gone back into the funding.

So the Muppets are a liberal education tool? OMG. This thread has gotten hilarious. Next thing you'll be saying is Fawlty Towers is anti-Bush propaganda. I love it! How whacky can you get? Raise the bar!

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Here ya go mate:

www.ctstv.com...

Nothing but christian programming. Now can we leave PBS alone?

BTW, what's wrong with PBS' values? Remember, wholesome programming. Education, arts, etc. Are you saying that people don't want that?

"Programming on what people want". What people?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
That % of non religious in the US has grown 105.7% since 1990 BTW.

I have also learned much of what I know of the history of Christianity from PBS. It was given as the facts state them, without forcing the ideologies on the viewer, which I find much more helpful than givong the information blindly, and expecting everyone to listen.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Therm is right...
get rid of all that educational crap...

gimme more american idol, and survivor...

Now those programs pay for themselves... and they dont need federal funding...
because commerical based television appeals to the lowest common denominator in society

Just what media should be about... promoting that LCD...
ought to make huge waves with the future educational system...
lots of luck with that...

I would attribute that quote to a specific person, but if you put it in a search engine, you get that same phrase being said, everytime TV and its commercial programing are critisized...

I think our kids deserve a little more...
Maybe we shoulkd require students to listen to an hour of NPR per day, and an hour of Sean Hannity per day...

lets see who wins that fight for the educated mind...

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I guess this must have escaped you too, Thermopolis.

www.pbs.org...

And what's this about the ten commandments?

www.npr.org...

www.npr.org...

So, what were you saying?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Just what media should be about... promoting that LCD...
ought to make huge waves with the future educational system...
lots of luck with that...

When my kids were in school, one of the first programs to be cut when budgets got tight were the TAG (Talented and Gifted) programs. My son, and all the other kids in those programs, never knew that money had been cut. Know why? Me, my wife, and all the other parents of affected kids picked right up where the school dropped off. And we were able to do a lot more with a lot less money. And the kids flourished.

So, if PBS is sooooo geared to the HCD, they will survive. Get out there and help them, don't keep crying for the gov't to pay the bill.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Everyone is getting upset with little reason. The government will make up for the dearth of public programming with some of their all-star highlights of fake news and even some culture pieces from Iraq about how glad they are to have us there. That should more than make up the loss of unbiased programming.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
So, if PBS is sooooo geared to the HCD, they will survive. Get out there and help them, don't keep crying for the gov't to pay the bill.

So, you are completely against School Vouchers then, huh? I'm very glad to hear that.

I'm sure PBS will flourish because the viewers of PBS tend to be the smartest people, and the smartest people tend to be the most successful. In the end this may be a good thing for America. The PBS channels nationwide typically enjoy great real estate on the Television Dial and with no Federal money they'll be able to actually do what the close minded anti-intellectual mush brains all think they're doing now. Maybe this is the first step toward a Liberal Nation! From here on out Big Bird can actually teach kids to be pacifists and Bert and Ernie can teach kids exactly what "alternative lifestyle" means. With no government interference PBS could really become a major network and make a difference!

[edit on 13-6-2006 by SKMDC1]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It's a good thing all families in the US can afford to do things the way jsobecky is suggesting. It's also a good thing that we can all have full knowledge of physics, world history, geology, mathematics and all other subjects so we can fil the space left by public television.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKMDC1
So, you are completely against School Vouchers then, huh? I'm very glad to hear that.

Nice try, putting words in my mouth. Is that all you got?

Maybe this is the first step toward a Liberal Nation! From here on out Big Bird can actually teach kids to be pacifists and Bert and Ernie can teach kids exactly what "alternative lifestyle" means.

So, you want TV to teach your kids about "alternative lifestyles"? You can't teach them yourself?

With no government interference PBS could really become a major network and make a difference!

Now is their chance. Let's see how they do.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

It's a good thing all families in the US can afford to do things the way jsobecky is suggesting. It's also a good thing that we can all have full knowledge of physics, world history, geology, mathematics and all other subjects so we can fil the space left by public television.

Your personal failings are not my problem. Neither is your child. You are ultimately responsible for them; if you can't do it, so sorry.

Btw, I never relied on TV to teach my kids about physics, world history, geology, mathematics and all other subjects. You'd be surprised what a little quality time spent with them will accomplish.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
did ya know there were people out there, mainly on the indian reservations, where well, npr is all they get!!! I would love to find the documentation for this, some proof, and well, send it to all the congressmen!!! If there are people out there that rely on public radio as their only source of news and weather, well, this goes beyond being wrong and cheap!!

I thought Dawnstar made a really good point here, but nobody has addressed it. Is it not important for aboriginal peoples to have radio?

What about the 15% of Americans that don't have cable? Poor people don't deserve access to television and news?

I will never understand this 'Me first, screw everyone else' mentality.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Your personal failings are not my problem. Neither is your child. You are ultimately responsible for them; if you can't do it, so sorry.

Btw, I never relied on TV to teach my kids about physics, world history, geology, mathematics and all other subjects. You'd be surprised what a little quality time spent with them will accomplish.

My personal failing don't enter into it. It is a fact that many people are forced into a life of poverty, with no way out, save for the lottery. My child is your problem when they rob you at gunpoint on the street. Why did they turn to violence? Improper education denied them the ability to land a job.

Of course you won't acknowledge the inequalities between the middle and upper classv. the lower class, so why bother saying anything about that. Just remember, the poor get poorer without proper education.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Turning it personal, big surprise. What's wrong with having it ALL? Spend the time with the kids, which is manditory these days, minimum 2 hours of homework AND have these educational programs. Some of them are better than school. Trig completely stumped me in high school but I was down with pnuemonia in my late 20's and watched a kids show on it and everything became clear, IN HALF AN HOUR.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Why are we complaining about funding NPR and PBS and the National Endowment of the arts?

We can give foreign aid to other countries, but can't aid the arts, big bird or Mr Rogers in the USA?

We can pay $941 million dollars for a bridge in Alaska almost as long as the Golden Gate Bridge and higher than the Brooklyn Bridge to a town in Alaska that has a population less than 50 people and serves no purpose.

But NPR is too much of a drain?

I think the funding is around 400 million a year for all these programs.

Why don't we cancel one of those $941 million dollar pork barrel bridges evey two years?

Some feel NPR has a liberal bias on everything.

Well.....www.npr.org...

Just don't give up on the arts and Big Bird.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join