It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to Cut Funding for NPR/PBS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by SKMDC1
So, you are completely against School Vouchers then, huh? I'm very glad to hear that.

Nice try, putting words in my mouth. Is that all you got?

What's the difference in saying that people who think NPR is important enough should be willing to foot the whole bill and people who think Private School is important enough should be willing to foot the whole bill. To support one and not the other is political hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Doesn't want the federal government in education, or broadcasting.

Let the states decide, and let the federal government do what it does best... Little.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKMDC1

Evidence? Links? Do you ever listen to NPR or watch Jim Lehrer? Why do you think Lehrer is the only commentator both sides can agree on for moderating a debate? Huh? Because he's too BORING to be biased. If you think PBS is leftist propaganda then you're completely ignorant of the US news landscape.

You obviously have listened to neither. Why don't you express your opinions on Atlantean basket weaving as you probably have as much experience of that as NPR and Air America based on that statement.

Again. That is completely and utterly wrong. At best it's an expression of your misguided opinion. Stating it as an assumed fact makes it borderline offensive.

And again the "Left" resorts to personal attacks to attempt to bolster a very very weak and unsupported position.

NPR, is Left Wing. Of course you may not think so, or admit it, but most Liberals run from the name Liberal anyway and spout the Moderate Jargon.

If the best that you can do is attack jsobecky and me personally, the the debate is finished with a clear and ever present winner.
Thank you all for your time.
Semper

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Okay Semper,
Enlighten us to the specific liberal bias that everyone is complaining about. As I've said before no one has shown me any evidence of liberal bas.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
You're joking right?

That's what I thought too.

Originally posted by thermopolis
No, just answer the question please....................where are the Christian programs on PBS

They're non-existant simply because it goes against the fundamental principles of America to use government funding to promote a religion.

It's the same reason why we don't have prayer in schools and our science classes don't teach us that the world was created in 6 days and the dinosaurs were destroyed in the flood, etc, etc...

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Okay Semper,
Enlighten us to the specific liberal bias that everyone is complaining about. As I've said before no one has shown me any evidence of liberal bas.

Do you even listen to it??

I try to, but every treehugging, bushbashing, welfare promoting cry baby gets on there and gets interviewed or has a special. During the special they are usually trying to get me to send a check to further support the government money that WAS being wasted there.

Good by NPR and GOOD Riddance

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
That Alternative Radio show was a thorn in the side for years. Whittling down the public broadcasters will substantially reduce the clear and present threat they pose to the American way of life.

I can also see this is a very emotionally charged discussion. I put in my opinion, and I will not be swayed in the presence of other arguments, although I will listen. Do not expect me to produce a reactionary response to bait or attack. Resistance is futile.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

I try to, but every treehugging, bushbashing, welfare promoting cry baby gets on there and gets interviewed or has a special. During the special they are usually trying to get me to send a check to further support the government money that WAS being wasted there.

Good work dodging the question. I asked for specific examples and so far no one has given any. Which makes me think that anyone using the 'liberal bias' arguement doesn't have a leg to stand on, and no use in this discussion.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well, what do you know. It appears that there are some people out there that feel NPR has a conservative bias.

Despite the commonness of such claims, little evidence has ever been presented for a left bias at NPR , and FAIR’s latest study gives it no support. Looking at partisan sources—including government officials, party officials, campaign workers and consultants—Republicans outnumbered Democrats by more than 3 to 2 (61 percent to 38 percent). A majority of Republican sources when the GOP controls the White House and Congress may not be surprising, but Republicans held a similar though slightly smaller edge (57 percent to 42 percent) in 1993, when Clinton was president and Democrats controlled both houses of Congress. And a lively race for the Democratic presidential nomination was beginning to heat up at the time of the 2003 study.

www.fair.org...

Both surveys confirm the same thing: The majority of the U.S. adult population does not believe that the news and information programming on public broadcasting is biased. The plurality of Americans indicate that there is no apparent bias one way or the other, while approximately one-in-five detect a liberal bias and approximately one-in-ten detect a conservative bias.

www.cpb.org...

This just reinforces my belief that people only notice things they don't agree with. When you do agree with something in the media, it's not bias, it's truth.

Now that we've got that out of the way, what about those poor people and aboriginals that only have access to these publicly funded stations?

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Good work dodging the question. I asked for specific examples and so far no one has given any. Which makes me think that anyone using the 'liberal bias' arguement doesn't have a leg to stand on, and no use in this discussion.

Ok, they said the word Liberal on March 3rd 2005 twice.
See how ridiculous that is. You want examples of a radio program?
I thought you were being funny, never thought you expected me to take you serious and give you examples of a radio program.
I could do like the last poster and give you the OPINIONS of other people. That would however be as silly as giving you examples of a radio program.

Sorry, just funny is all.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Or you could answer the last poster's twice posted question instead of just callling me silly and ignoring it.

Just a thought. Since you're so good at debating and all.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas, on June 13, 2006 at 15:36 GMT:

That Alternative Radio show was a thorn in the side for years. Whittling down the public broadcasters will substantially reduce the clear and present threat they pose to the American way of life.

Which Alterntaive Radio show are you referring to? "Alternative" to what? The FOX blather? Frankly, it's the those-in-government-can-do-no-wrong-unless-they're-democrats radio programming that threatens the American Way of life.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I try to, but every treehugging, bushbashing, welfare promoting cry baby gets on there and gets interviewed or has a special.

Really, as I was driving home today, I was listening to a special on a soldier that died in Iraq recently. A few days ago I was listening to goverment official explain the importance of tracking phone calls. Recently, I also heard an interview of a person that was talking about about how good of a job Rumsfeld was doing in an attempt to rebut calls for resignation.

Do YOU even listen to it?

The point is they try to give talking points for each side of a conflict.

[edit on 13-6-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I really see my proof is me personally using PBS to learn the basics (theory) of quantum physics, string theory and such. I also found something else interesting. Remember back right after 9/11 how osama was first accussed of being behind the attack? Then a report came out a week later with him denying it? well how did we end up going to war then? It was a confession on Osamas part.

Back in late 2001 a video came out of Osama bin laden admitting to being behind the terror attacks. the video looked pretty fake, and because I didn't start researching till like 2005, I was a bit disbelieving of it. Well, if it wasn't for NPR I wouldn't have had any reasonable source to prove that such a tape even was truely reported on.

www.npr.org...

This was the tape we based our invasion on. Not the 2004 tape. Without NPR I probably would have never found any real substance to prove it. To me they go about it pretty Unbias as well. I didnt see CNN using this. Mainly because this is actually pretty incriminating. Pentagon releases a tape, basing a war on it, when it may not even be a true tape?

Fix I mean Fox is "conservative" and CNN is "liberal" but they both stand for the same thing, "bulls***". In the end I would say its pretty obvious that its not a matter of bias between stations, but competition between owners. If PBS and NPR become private media like the rest, well then I can pretty much give up on them because they will turn into stations like Fox and CNN, pretending to speak the truth when they actually just speak personal agenda.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone
Which Alterntaive Radio show are you referring to?...(following bait ignored)...

There is only one. Frankly I don't understand why their office has not been torched yet. They sit at the end of an alley...

www.alternativeradio.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I've just enjoyed to death the Story Corp. series. You just don't get that kind of stuff on corporate talk radio.

NPR is one of the last news outlets you can turn on and get REAL NEWS. I don't have to hear 3 hours of left or right slanted political opionion like the current AM news/talk stations have.

I don't have to listen to how many peope were shot and how many houses burned down the previous day like I do with local news. Instead, I get REAL NEWS, and I fear sooner than later, that will be gone too.

If the government is going to subsidize ethanol plants, the air lines, they can come up with a few mill for NPR and the CPB.

Just seems wrong.

Don't get me started on the college grants cut backs.

-O

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The prejudice exhibited by programs like Dianne Rehms is indisputable. The guestlist, the perspective of the callers, and the attitude of the host is an undisguised hatred of all thing Republican.

Want examples? Check out her interview of Mary Cheney. Listen to callers describe Karl Rove as a traitor while Dianne lectures the audiance about "civility" while discussing Clinton.

Scott Simon, Danial Schoor, Terry Gross, the whole day is an idiological assault from the left. The fact that tin-foil absolutist hatemongers exist to call NPR "centerist" does not make it so, it just goes to illustrate that while elections for house, senate, and executive are close to 50/50 in this country, some cling to the delusion that they are in the mainstream while it is apparent that they are extreme.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Does anyone remember Waco?

It wasn't CNN/CBS/ABC questioning the FBI.

It was PBS.

I mean sure, it didn't help anything, it didn't really break the story in any real sense of the word, and it certainly didn't help all those dead folks.

But it's the principle of the thing.

[edit on 13-6-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaaaThe fact that tin-foil absolutist hatemongers exist to call NPR "centerist" does not make it so, it just goes to illustrate that while elections for house, senate, and executive are close to 50/50 in this country, some cling to the delusion that they are in the mainstream while it is apparent that they are extreme.

Versus your absolutist claim that anyone who thinks NPR represents all sides of the political spectrum are delusional and hateful?

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
And what of Weekly Standard’s David Brooks, and Heritage Foundation’s Joe Loconte. And they had Myron Ebell of the CEI has been on a multitude of times. I'm going to say that the percentage of people on NPR who maintain a conservative viewpoint represent the percentage of people who maintain that viewpoint in society.

It just so happens that not as many intelligent people maintain the hard right without a personal agenda that is vested in it. I bet NPR isn't the place to find people who are in it solely for themselves.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join