It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got pellet guns!!!!!!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
No, the speed is only one element in the equation. Mass is the other. Bullets are much heavier than pellets/bb's, and as a result they require chemical propellants. The trade-off is that they do a lot more damage to the target. While the pellet may be going faster, it loses inertia more rapidly and delivers a lot less energy to the target.

Pellet guns have their uses. I would much rather use them for varmint hunting than a real rifle, because there's more left to eat. While it may be hilarious to watch guys take their .50 cal ground-hogging, there's nothing sensible about it if you need to eat what you kill.

I like pellet guns, despite the fact that one almost got me killed by a cop. In all fairness to myself, I didn't know he was a cop until he drew his sidearm and ordered me to the ground. I was running through the woods, and when I heard him behind me, I turned, gun still in hand. He could have shot me and been perfectly justified in the eyes of the law. It was also dark, so he had no way of knowing that it wasn't real. That cop saved my life, by exhibiting (perhaps undue) restraint.

Just a tip, from me to you. Pretend it's a real gun, and act accordingly. Be safe, and be smart. Oh, and rock on.

Here's the pellet rifle I prefer. The FPS is low, but it does the job nicely, and it requires no CO2 cartridges to operate (making it superior from a cost standpoint). I believe OrangeTom mentioned this one earlier... It's only real drawback, IMO, is the weight.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Just remember, over kill is bad, but using airguns in hunting is allso a risky, because my point of view is that if you kill something do it with firts shot and this is not allways doable with airguns, not even with .22

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Well, you have a point.

But I'd like to counter by saying that if you find yourself in a survival situation, you'd have to be Annie 'F-in' Oakley to shoot enough game to keep your belly full, nevermind feeding the family - regardless of how big your gun happens to be. Traps and fishing are the only safe bets I go by when in the woods.

However, for shooing varmints off your property, pellet rifles are fine. Birds especially, because their bones are so brittle. I can't be held responsible if people decide to take on a feral badger or buck with a .22 pellet gun though.
You've been warned, the musculature is too dense to penetrate with something as piddly as an air rifle.

Given the choice between a .22 rifle and a pellet gun, I'll take the real gun every time, but sometimes it's just not an option.

I've never seen/owned a pellet gun that I would classify as a survival weapon. Most of them are simply too heavy and weak to be useful. But they do have advantages, most (if not all) of which have already been mentioned on this thread.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The pellet rifle I had did not recommend that you pump over 8 times. Thus indicating that it has a larger piston and stroke.

To my limited knowlege you tighten up on the velocity losses of these tools by keeping good tight seals in them. Seals wear out whether CO2 versions or pump. This would mean some mechanical dexterity and knowlege. It is good to keep several sets of replacement seals for them.

I just prefer the pumps because of the lack of dependency on the C02 bottles. For myself in this type of tool I would prefer the .22 caliber models but the .177s can be found almost anywhere.
In the .20 cablier I had years ago..I would stock up on pellets enough to last years because they could not at that time be found in just any store.

I also recall that some company made a pistol pellet/BB gun which was also a pump. I just dont remember the company. Perhapsed someone can bring me up to date on this.

I own slingshots , Blow guns and a crossbow. I am planning to add a pellet rifle down the road to my tool collection.

By the way...were they not making some of them years ago which would operate on a small bottle of Freon? I dont think this is practical today with the cost of feon but I seem to recall this being done. It never seemed to quite catch on or became popular.

Thanks to all for their posts.
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Pellet guns most definitly are dangerous, my Shadowmatic has excellent penetration and will penetrate almost anything that is not concrete or brick, it can kill clay planting pots, dent most steel (old zippo lighter I had) and even some coins are not safe from this gun.

I decent jugular shot on most creatures will probably take it out, maybe even some centre-mass shots might be fatal on some larger species like racoons but I can't vouch for that since I never shot one.

BB-guns are good training tools, esspecially airsoft guns since they so close simulate a real gun and it's operation, my daisy is just a fun plinker though.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Here are my two side-cocking spring-piston air rifles; an RWS/Dianawerk 52 in .22 cal with a Bushnell 4-12x40mm scope and an RWS/Dianawerk 48 in .177. These rifles are tack drivers; @ 30yds you can group in the same hole no prob; @ 50yds it'll do consistent sub 1" groups on a nice day. The 48 is completely box stock and I only use in my basement at 10yds or let people borrow it when i'm in the mood to go out and shoot some critters. The mod 52 is good for up to 23ft-lbs at the muzzle; the 48 good for up to 18ft-lbs or so.

[edit on 9-6-2006 by vinrock]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yup, the Benjamin is a heavy bugger to tote around, but it makes up for that in simplicity and ruggedness. I use it around my house to put squirrels and rabbit in the freezer. When using it on squirrels, the location of the squirrel is critical as the .177 pellet doesn't have the oomph to knock the critter out of a fork or off of a large limb. Gotta' tag 'em while they're on the side of the trunk.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Mr Penny,

Sage hunting strategy...well said.

Vinrock,
Very nice rifles in your picture. Nice checkering on the stock. Thanks for the pictures.

Orangetom

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelslayer
this is one of the bad boys i would love to put my hands on

www.tokyohobby.net...

but checl out that price
u can get a car for that much..

Holy Moley! $2350.00 for a pellet gun!!! You could buy a late-model Ninja 250 on eBay for that price!

I have had a pellet gun since I was a kid. They are excellent for target shooting, I never considered shooting something with it, I had no idea it packed enough punch to kill a bird. i also have a .38 and huge old double barrel shotgun. I fantisize about getting a Tarus 7 shot revolver!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Um, that's not a pellet gun. It appears to be a real one. Had me fooled, too

Thank you all for your posts, for showing me your weapons, and for telling me about the pellet/bullet difference. Makes me want to get a real firearm even more. I would LOVE an AK, but in the near future I'm more likely to get an HK USP .45 pistol first
. That's the reason I bought the PT-90 air pistol, cuz it is a replica of and the same size as the HK

Once again, thank you for your posts, and for the pics of your rifles, and for showing me why firearms are stronger then pellet guns

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Just remember, over kill is bad,

I couldn't agree more that is why if I was ever going to buy a bb or pellet gun I would only buy one of these, very subtle and very discreet.

I apologize for the music but it's not my site:

www.montysminiguns.com...

Happy plinking.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Nice choice with the Gamo I have the .177 Shadow 1000 Varmint Hunter, Scoped, laser, tac light, silencer its very effective at 150 feet. My pellet of choice is the Gamo Magnum.

One of many "items" in my collection. The great thing about HiPO Pellet rifles is caseless, smokeless ammunition. If something really tragic goes down in this world. Where you can no longer procure real steel ammunition for whatever reason, war natural disaster etc a pellet rifle will fire anything that you can fit in the chamber. You can melt your own pellets from lead fishing lures, etc while time consuming you can make ammo with little more then a fire and something more durable then lead to make a mold out of.

Every person who is a survivalist should own a high power pellet gun.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Heres My Baby...

The Webley Tempest

This is the Dogs Bollocks of Pellet Pistols, Its all Metal , Spring loaded and Will last you A Lifetime with only A lube now and then

It fits in the Palm absoloutly perfect and its well known it has the best grip handle of any pistol in the world(because of the shape of the handle it can only be used in the right hand, although i think you can buy lefthanded grips.

It comes in .177 + .22 models (I chose .22 Natually)
500fps in .177
and
380fps in .22

note A .22 at 380fps is a lot Harder Hitting that a .177 at 500fps

Iv'e used Co2 Pistols and I'm not impressed at all

this one will never let you down, never run out of air, Has Great Power for its Compact size and It lookes and feels exelent.

I would never swap her for anything.

[edit on 9-6-2006 by TrentReznor]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Well, i have .177 Gamo Hunter 440, it has muzzle velocity up to 1000 fps.

I have upgraded it with Tasco Pronghorn riflescope 4x40. It is quite accurate up to some 60-70 yards.

It's VERY devastating for a pellet gun!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznorI would never swap her for anything.

Judging by your love of Webleys, i'm sure one of these babies would make you a happy man.

Feinwerkbau 103 underlever target pistol:

Feinwerkbau P40 PCP target pistol

I'm picking up my first PCP air rifle soon and will probably try to get my hands on a P40 around the same time. I've got rimfire match pistols and want an air pistol with that same sort of precision.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duby78
Well, i have .177 Gamo Hunter 440, it has muzzle velocity up to 1000 fps.

I have upgraded it with Tasco Pronghorn riflescope 4x40. It is quite accurate up to some 60-70 yards.

It's VERY devastating for a pellet gun!
Your rifle is EXACTLY like mine except yours is a bit longer, and has a softer butt plate. Yours is also a bit heavier. But in power and everything else, yours is just like mine

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I got shot in my leg with one of these or similar i think it was a metal bb
and i got a scar for over 1 year now. be careful with those

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Even worse, they can even kill

But hey, if armed robbers enter my home maybe I can save myself? Whatever

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I own an Air Arms TX200 HC, fantastic rifle. Sadly the UK is having problems with thugs and rifles and i am willing to bet we will have to license them soon.

As for hunting, well i prefer air rifles for hunting rabbits, rats, magpies, crows and other pests. A shotgun is best for pigeons though as you can catch them on the wing. I don't have a shotgun license though so i have only used one at a range and once at a farm as we knew the guy. The licensing laws here in the UK are extremely restrictive. According to the government i don't have any real reason to own one and yet i have the right to hunt on land of someone i know who has a major pigeon problem. I have to stick with the air rifle which is slow going for pigeon hunting.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
why are airsoft guns so cheap??? but they look soooooo friggin cool

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join