It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got pellet guns!!!!!!!!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by StephenR

When buying a pellet rifel if you want the most power and stregnth possable get a multi pump you may need to pump it alot for lot power but its stronger then anything else.Break barrels are good to but multi pump more stronger anyday.

That pellet rifel i was talking about that shoots over 1000 fps its called a "talon" and it uses a big air tank
anyone want help or info on pellet gun or ammunition just ask me

sorry for bad spelling

Sorry but that's not the case - what you need is consistent power so you can hit the target - a rabbit's brain is very small - everytime with your first shot. With decent fieldcraft a sub 12 ft/lb airgun is perfectly capable of controlling rabbits (that's c. 790 fps with a 8.4 grain pellet in .177) providing the pellet strikes where you intend.

Pumps are inherently inconsistent and that's why you never see them used in serious competition.

All the power in the world is useless if you miss the target

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
I totally agree with you that they are bbs and myself get mad when people call them bbs. But on the box it said pellets, and I don't want to confuse the people here on ATS. Yes, it definetley is a bb, and I hate them. I only like sharp ammo
and bullets.

Correct term for a spherical projectile (or shot) is/are BB's, short for Ball Bearing. The correct term for a skirted 'pellet' is a Diabolo pellet. And the solid-base projectiles are what we refer to as 'bullets'.

Diabolo pellets in airguns not only have the advantage of flight stability over a spherical projectile (which is inherintly inaccurate), but that the skirt will expand from the pressure and 'seat' the pellet, similar to the brass expanding on a powder burner.

The exact outer diameter of pellets varies significantly as well. I'd suggest you try EVERY pellet type you can get your hands on to find the best for your application.

And remember; lightweight target pellets (i.e., 7.3gr Benjamin wadcutters) might give you that magic 1000+ FPS number, but when the projectile makes the transition from subsonic to supersonic flight it's directional stability will most likely be affected.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I totally agree with you that they are bbs and myself get mad when people call them bbs. But on the box it said pellets, and I don't want to confuse the people here on ATS. Yes, it definetley is a bb, and I hate them. I only like sharp ammo and bullets.

You may diss agree with me on thi (someone will i no it) but the fact is bb's shoot alot faster then pellets and theat do over all more damage.Most BB's are round copper balls some are even zink coted so there silver and im sure theay are made from other stuff to but most are copper.

The reasion theay ARE stronger is because theay are soild.I got thousands of bb's and all sorts of diffront pellets and have done many of my own "tests" lol to see the impack,ditruction,overall effect of each one.

With pellets you can use your fingers to squeeze bottom and it will bend because there small and made of led (most are led) there softer ammounition and because of the shape theay fly slower (even pointed ones) a bb is a sphere,the air will go around it easyer and smoother then a pellet and because of the weight and solidness of the bb it go's much faster and dose more damage.

if you buy any gun that shotts both bb's and pellets you will see the bb is faster and more effictive.mostley because it dont crush in when it hits the target it stays hard and dose more damage.

Flat head pellet are nice for makeing big marks if your gun is strong but a bb will allways go faster,deeper and probley be more relibul,re-useabul.

One more thing.There are pellet guns that singel pumps aswell.Lat time i menchond multi pumps as being most powerfull (theay are) but theay are slow for reload time and if your going for animals prolly not best gun (less animal is big)

Singel pump pellet guns are allso good.If you hava strong american one that shoots 750+ fps then ur dumb not to use it.1 pump gives you the power to shoot 750 fps this is like a break barrel but you dont need to break it and you DONT NEED TO RELOAD AFATER EVERY SHOT lol

good thing about this is most singel pumps shoot bb's and pellets.you can pick wut you like for ur target and wont have to reload the gun for some time (if u use pellets u reload more often) useing a singel pump rifel is MUCH FASTER AND EASYER then useing a stupied break barrel.

singel pumps are just as good can be modded with same things (scops lazers ect) and theay faster rate of fire because all you need to do afater you hoot i pump it once and pull the side cocking lever back to load in the ammounition then point and shoot.aside from a semi automatic gun singel pumps are the fasted reload guns and just as strong (sometimes stronger) then others.

sorry for all the bad spelling

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Some of that may be valid but BB's are inherently less stable than diablos so fail in the primary task of any gun - putting the projectile on the intended target. Diablos spin in one axis giving gyroscopic stability, BB's do not have this stability. The hardness of the compound in pellets depends on the lead / antimony mix, some are much squashier than others

I shoot airguns competively - if you're aware of a BB gun that can consistently hit a 15mm target at 35 yards / a 25 mm at 45 yards (with the first shot) then do let us know as such a gun doesn't exist.

BB guns are toys - nothing more.

Only someone with no respect for their quarry would contemplate hunting anything live with a BB gun

[edit on 16-6-2006 by Strangerous]

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
lol you may think of them as toys but i dont.the right ones can easyley be used to kill humans to (not that anyone wood do that and a normal gun is much better)like my american pumpmaster 360 pump it 20 times or so and even10 maybe 20 meters it kill person...if you get them in the head and theay dont move lol the "Talon" strongest pellet gun that i no of..shoots over 1000 fps that wood kill ya lol....bb guns are the perfect thing for hunting small animals.I dissagree with wut you said.

If your hunting gofers,ground hogs,birds,skunks,racoons,turkey at close range (30 meters or so) or if you just fed up with the squrrels around ur house or even your neighbors cat pellet guns are by far the ideal weapon of choice for thoose little critters.

why not use a normal gun you ask? well its much cheeper to use pellet gun and its just as good,pellet guns dont make 1-10th the noice real guns do so you can kill more them little rodents befor theay no wuts going on.allso pellet guns have little kicl back your chances of hitting that racoons off ur garbage can are little higher and the most commen reasion and best reasion pellet guns are good is because YOU DONT NEED A LICENCS!
a 10 year old can pick one up and shoot peskey little skunk befor it gets the chance to make ur property smell bad.its simple.

target shooting is fun yes i do it all the time to but pellet guns are good for takeing out some animals to lol just my view on this you guys might dissagree

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
lol you may think of them as toys but i dont.the right ones can easyley be used to kill humans to (not that anyone wood do that and a normal gun is much better)like my american pumpmaster 360 pump it 20 times or so and even10 maybe 20 meters it kill person...if you get them in the head and theay dont move lol the "Talon" strongest pellet gun that i no of..shoots over 1000 fps that wood kill ya lol....bb guns are the perfect thing for hunting small animals.I dissagree with wut you said.

If your hunting gofers,ground hogs,birds,skunks,racoons,turkey at close range (30 meters or so) or if you just fed up with the squrrels around ur house or even your neighbors cat pellet guns are by far the ideal weapon of choice for thoose little critters.

why not use a normal gun you ask? well its much cheeper to use pellet gun and its just as good,pellet guns dont make 1-10th the noice real guns do so you can kill more them little rodents befor theay no wuts going on.allso pellet guns have little kicl back your chances of hitting that racoons off ur garbage can are little higher and the most commen reasion and best reasion pellet guns are good is because YOU DONT NEED A LICENCS!
a 10 year old can pick one up and shoot peskey little skunk befor it gets the chance to make ur property smell bad.its simple.

target shooting is fun yes i do it all the time to but pellet guns are good for takeing out some animals to lol just my view on this you guys might dissagree

sorry for bad spelling

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
It's not clear whether you mean BB guns or pellet-firing guns.

Respect for your quarry and ensuring 1 shot, 1 kill are fundamental principles of hunting - aspects of your response concern me you haven't grapsed these fundamental points.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Today I took the screen out of my window and shot at squirrels with the pellet gun.

I almost hit 1 but he heard it hit close to him so he ran up a tree.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Could you expand that comment - it sound like you're taking pot-shots at living animals with no reasonable expectation of a clean kill. Missing the brain is one thing, missing the animal all together is very concerning.

Also why were you shooting at the squirrel in the first place>

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Shame on you for shooting at defenseless squirrels.

I shall send Super Squirrel to chew your ear off.

edit = resize image

[edit on 6/19/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I never told this to any of you guys, but Squirrels are my favorite animals! I would NEVER shoot a squirrel!

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Gray Squirrels are pests. (I understand the red squirrels are protected in the UK? They're disappearing here too.)

Unless it's within 5', it'd be rediculous to expect to consistently dispatch small game with a BB gun. You might be able to take out doves or small rabbits with no problem, but taking down one of the squirrels around here requires your shot to be in the kill zone.

Anyway... I heard squirrels are tasty. One of you ought to cook one up and give us the report.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you but would question shooting anything live with a BB gun - even rabbits deserve better

Yes they're a pest in the UK and should have been eradicated in the UK a long time ago (there used to be a 50p bounty per tail but the bunny-huggers kicked up a fuss).

They are still shot but by experienced hunters who use proper airguns. Taking pot-shots with inappropriate equipment is cruel and does nothing for our sport's reputation.

As for eating one I know some do but it's a lot of work for very little meat - actually just remembered a restaurant in London put them on the menu and the am lib guys protested so they stopped serving them. If they're shot for control reasons it seems immoral to waste the meat if someone will eat it.

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous
Could you expand that comment - it sound like you're taking pot-shots at living animals with no reasonable expectation of a clean kill. Missing the brain is one thing, missing the animal all together is very concerning.

Also why were you shooting at the squirrel in the first place>

We have 2 rabbits with a self feeder in a covered pen outside. We put food in the feeder for when we leave to go on vacation for the summer. The squirrels eat the food and the rabbits get hungry. So I shoot at them to prevent them from eating the rabbit food.

hopefully thats not too Horrible for you. Its more or less shooting one animal to save two. I just started doing it also and haven't gotten one yet. I could care less about killing the things I just want them away from the rabbits.

Oh and they are Grey Squirrels...very very common here. Almost overpopulated.

I have nothing against the squirrels....I am just against the fact that they are dirty freeloaders

[edit on 023030p://2323 by SurfOBBC]

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
That seems a reasonable reason to shoot squirrels but you do seem to have inadequate equipment / skill to be shooting at live animals - especially as you are, in effect, baiting them / can predict where they're going to be.

Shooting anything live with a BB gun is likely to just wound so it's cruelty - not effective pest control.

Again you should be capable of one shot one kill - or you should be practicising first!

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous
That seems a reasonable reason to shoot squirrels but you do seem to have inadequate equipment / skill to be shooting at live animals - especially as you are, in effect, baiting them / can predict where they're going to be.

Shooting anything live with a BB gun is likely to just wound so it's cruelty - not effective pest control.

Again you should be capable of one shot one kill - or you should be practicising first!

Oh believe me...I don't always use a pellet gun. And when I do I use one that would kill. Its got like 1600 fps on it or something like that. And no I don't need practice..you try to hit a squirrel in the head with a pellet gun from the distance I am shooting from.

What about snakes ? I shoot snakes all the time....is that considered cruel if they are poisonous ?.....I sure hope that isn't considered cruel.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I like snakes, too
but not as much as squirrels. I have 2 pet ball pythons.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yeah we have cottonmouth moccosins. We had one bite a dog in the neighborhood last year making him really sick.

I live right off of a lake so I tend to like to grab the AR-15 and give him a nice reminder as to why he shouldn't be in yards.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I don't like poisonous snakes though.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian soldier
I don't like poisonous snakes though.

Yeah I HATE them. I like the nonpoisonous ones such as green snakes though.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join