It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tony Snow's "Tar Baby" Comment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Okay, folks. When I heard Tony Snow say this, I was rather aghast. And now, I am still quite speechless (which for some of you might be a blessing
). So, I'm just going to post his comments and tell me what you think about this:

Tony Snow: Tar babies...
CBS REPORTER: Why not declassify [the NSA's call records database]? I mean, the President did talk about the surveillance program a day after the New York Times broke that story. This would seem to affect far more people and it did sound like the President was confirming that story today when he was answering questions.

SNOW: If you go back and look through what he said, there was a reference of foreign to domestic calls. I am not going to stand up here and presume to declassify any kind of program. That is a decision the President has to make. I can't confirm or deny it. The President was not confirming or denying. Again, I would take you back to the USA Today story to give you a little context. Look at the poll that appeared the following day [...] something like 65% of the public was not troubled by it. Having said that, I don't want to hug the tar baby of trying to comment on the program... the alleged program, the existence of which I can neither confirm or deny.

I mean is THAT the new Press Secretary?

[edit on 19-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Not at all- a euphmism to describe not wanting to become entangled in a mess - should not be taken so literally - I don't see an insensitve comment, just a descriptive statement.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What is it? A euphenism of the South?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Don't think so - ever heard of Br'er Rabbit?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You mean "Song of the South?" Is that where that phrase comes from?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
No - don't you remember the fairy tale, from when you were young? - It was a southern type fairy tale - Wikipedia has a good explanation - I'd paste the link but forgot to attach - Take a look -

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I will. Thanks for the info.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Tar Baby

Hope this helps explain things.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The phrase is actually from old African folk-lore. It goes back further than Song of the South and does not originate in the United States. You see old Uncle Remus (a fictional character) was just re-telling a story that he heard when he was a kid. There's nothing racist about the story unless you make it so. It's more of a tale of someone fighting the unfightable and getting stuck in the mess they thought they could defeat. By the way the tar baby is coincidently made out tar, gum, or any sticky substance. It doesn't represent a black person or black people unless you want it to, and using African folk-lore doesn't make you racist anymore than not using African folk-lore would.

Tony Snow is saying that he doesn't want to get involved with the issue because once you do it's a giant mess you can't get away from.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Tony Snow is saying that he doesn't want to get involved with the issue because once you do it's a giant mess you can't get away from.

I agree, I think that's what he meant. However, the phrase "tar baby" has been used as a derogatory statement often enough that his use of it is unfortunate. He should have chosen his words a bit better.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Agreed - I grew up in the deep South and you rarely heard this term after the late 60's - I would think a press secretary would be a little more careful but I don't believe it was anything intentional - Adios-

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It is derogatory. But of course, a lot of people wouldn't think of it that way. So, I'm learning that today that even though it does hurt a segment of people, it is better not to pay it any mind.

Yep. Today's been a rather interesting lesson about the sensitivities of people.

It's just like the entire debate of the Sambo books.

Tony Snow, unfortunately, was uncouth on his part. And he should know better.

But the way people think and treat this statement, he shall be forgiven. And the "tar baby" statement will probably be swept under the rug without any apology.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Bad day, huh? Well, if you expect to be disappointed by people , you'll most likely be successful. I don't think the comment descends into "hatespeech" but poorly conceived? ill-timed? Agreed -

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
We'll sweep it under the same rug that Mayor Nagin's "chocolate city" comment is under.
But then Nagin's comment was more in the fashion of Willy Wonka than that of a racist.

Of course the elephant in the room is that Tony Snow is white. Even his name screams white as in "snow white". Had a black man made the same comment no one would have noticed.

Can you spot the racist?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Good point - Selective application of standards is what creates these issues. I agree the good Mayor gave a bogus excuse when pressed on the issue - He could see what it was going to create. I think his first statement was more his true nature than the garbage he came up with by way of explanation -

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
No, it probably doesn't. But I am undergoing my education today about what "true" Americanism is. And I am very eager to strip my heritage, dignity and my humanity to learn to be like those neocons. After all, it seems that they have the most fun.

They don't have to care about society, politics or people. And heck. They don't give a fig about race.

I am ready for my reeducation.

Besides, I'm not disappointed in people. People generally don't understand or care about these things. Such a term means nothing to them.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
People took Nagin to task about his comments just as people are taking Snow to task. So I don't see how this is a double standard....both are getting called on their possibly racist comments regardless of their race. Because a black person says something racist doesn't mean white people can now get away with racism. We should jump on both of them.

That being said, I don't think Snow really meant anything racist by that comment. He just wasn't thinking when he said it, which probably isn't a good think for a White House Press Secretary. But whatever, since I consider him and the adminstration he works for my bitter political enemies, its fine if he keeps making stupid comments. You go Snowjob!

[edit on 5/19/2006 by Flinx]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Reeducation? That's a little extreme I think - I've followed the other thread as well. People most likely don't understand because they don't take the time investigate. I think the multi cultural mindset is fine but sometimes it , too, goes to extremes. There are those on both sides who appear to me to be intolerant of any opposing view. I have my views on subjects but I listen to those who I disagree with because it may be something I haven't considered. That's objectivity, not disappointment.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Hey, I'm a very objective person most of the time. I started a thread about racism. But it gets tiring trying to preach to people about kindness, sincerity, conscience and respect.

Some people don't have any. Tony Snow doesn't.

So, for today, I've decided to not be PC about anything. Since no one cares, why bother?

That's why I'm learning how to be an American from these people who don't see race. And I find it funny that now that I don't want to talk about race today and strive to be like them, they freak out.

Why is that?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Anyone remember the DJ in St Louis Mo. who accidently said the word coon instead of coup while talking about Condoleeza Rice? he lost his job the same day.

On his show, Lenihan said: "She's been chancellor of Stanford. She's got the patent resume of somebody that has serious skill. She loves football. She's African-American, which would kind of be a big coon. A big coon. Oh my God. I am totally, totally, totally, totally, totally sorry for that."

He said he had meant to say "coup" instead of the slur. KTRS president and general manager Tim Dorsey agreed that the remark was accidental but announced the same day that Lenihan had been fired.
www.themoderatevoice.com...

[edit on 19-5-2006 by ThePieMaN]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join