It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May 1 Protest -Will it hurt or help illegals?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I am not in agreement with Bush, the Republicans or the Democrat solutions for the immigration problem and curtailing it.

Having said that, IMHO, virtually all of Senate, the House, and the current administration should be voted out, one and all, and 'we' should elect in their place some people who have real and viable solutions, who are not into partisan or bi-partisan power plays, who are not afriad to make the hard decisions that place the interests of the American people at heart and the security of this nation first.

Between the gas and immigration issues, the politicians in Washington had better get their collective acts/arses together instead of continuing to play partisan politics, cause quite frankly, partisan politics only goes so far with the American populace before enough is enough. If the these politicians continue to play their games of partisan power plays on these two issues, I can see this seriously backfiring on them in a dramatic and 'welcome back to reality' sort of way.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Between the gas and immigration issues, the politicians in Washington had better get their collective acts/arses together instead of continuing to play partisan politics, cause quite frankly, partisan politics only goes so far with the American populace before enough is enough. If the these politicians continue to play their games of partisan power plays on these two issues, I can see this seriously backfiring on them in a dramatic and 'welcome back to reality' sort of way.

seekerof

I totally agree with you, every person in the government atm should be kicked out of their position and should be replaced by real people who are actually concerned about the safety of the United States and the people that live in the United States, and are not just worried about how they can get as much money as possible. If this were to ever happen, i think that the people of the United States would become much more educated about important issues and would be kept inside the loop. However, due to the way politics are currently set up, this sadly will probably never happen.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Having said that, IMHO, virtually all of Senate, the House, and the current administration should be voted out, one and all, and 'we' should elect in their place some people who have real and viable solutions, who are not into partisan or bi-partisan power plays, who are not afriad to make the hard decisions that place the interests of the American people at heart and the security of this nation first.

Seekerof, are you refering to a National Government? (like what the UK had during both World Wars). A cross party government that is non partisan? because that may work with America. A United Government based on supporting the American Union would be an excellent way of tackling a problem of National Security.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I can see this seriously backfiring on them in a dramatic and 'welcome back to reality' sort of way.

Does make me wonder if they are actually trying to provoke a popular revolt or a military backed coup. It's hard to imagine ignorance is that pervasive in DC and they don't have some cards up their sleeves.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
In my mind the real blame lays at the foot of those that started it and set the precedent for it.

The ‘Border States’ have been calling for federal assistance for decades. The border crimes in Texas alone have escalated exponentially over the past decade with no end in sight.

Originally posted by shots
The very same could be said for border controls. This has been going on or decades and neither Democrats or Republicans have done anything about it that really worked so again the blame should be spread all around.

If the laws which already exist on the books were enforced, this problem would not exist today, the US government has failed miserably, without excuse, as a whole on this issue.

Congresses approval ratings are lower than Bush’s (congressional approval ratings are nearly at a historical low) and congress is starved to find an approving public and is pandering to a specific community, swaying to racist pressure groups, attempting to draw parting lines inside a voting block to ensure congress’s future, while flagrantly ignoring the vast majority of citizen voters fully and expecting us to pay for the problem, once again….

With the elections looming in December, this is going to be a hot potato and given congresses record they will seek votes in the short term for reelection which will not bode well for illegal immigrants.

Some examples from Gallup: (polls will start becoming a big issue)

(source)

Americans believe the most effective way to reduce illegal immigration is to cut off the employment incentive for coming here by instituting tough penalties for businesses that hire illegal immigrants. More than half think this would be "very effective," and another 32% say it would be "somewhat effective."

The vast majority of Americans also see value in beefing up the number of border control officers: 37% call this very effective and 44% say it is somewhat effective.

Majorities also say that preventing illegal immigrants from using American schools and hospitals and working to raise the standard of living in illegal immigrants' home countries would also help to reduce the number of illegal immigrants coming here.

In a separate pair of questions, Gallup finds majority support for making illegal immigration a crime, and for making it a crime to knowingly assist an illegal immigrant

-[snip]-

To the extent Congress addresses this, Americans would set a fairly high bar for allowing illegal immigrants to remain here. As highlighted in Gallup Editor David W. Moore's April 12, 2006 article on immigration, a majority of Americans are willing to allow existing illegal immigrants to remain in the United States, rather than deport them. But they widely favor a number of prerequisites that represent impossible hurdles for many immigrants: paying all back taxes owed on past income, paying a fine for coming here illegally, and demonstrating U.S. residency for at least five years

mg

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

posted by 2stepsfromtop: “ . . quite a few businesses in my area told their employees that if they are not at work on Monday, they don't have to bother returning to work as they will not have a job. Its called 'job abandonment' and its a legal remedy. [Edited by Don W]

Jeez. Then what are we fighting for, 2Step? Autocracy? I was told it was for DEEmocracy. Hmm? Maybe the emphasis ought to be placed on the “ . moc . “ part of the word?

OTOH . . Business will just average out the weekly flow of money and compare it to any other week in the same period . . My bet is that the 'demonstrators' will shop a little more heavily on the weekend and in the following week, this is because they will consume more from spending more time at home . . Once it is averaged, and the amount of money saved by many businesses on one days payroll is brought into account, it will be a good week for everyone except those who lost a days wage.

Ahh, for the good old days of Jimmy Hoffa’s Teamsters who got a personal day off every 6 months. With pay, of course.

“ . . if you open the borders completely, you had better learn Chinese. They'll work cheaper and there are over ten times as many of them compared to Mexico.

I’m not sure that is the case, 2Step. High rise apartments in Shanghai are going for $7 mil. China is #5 in cars and rising fast! You can’t do that on coolie wages.

[edit on 4/30/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am curious to see what happens. I live in NC and the news is that all the latinos are protesting here too. I am guessing this will go on all around the country. I could care less right now about the illegals situation. Gas prices are on my mind.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Your concern about Gas prices is appreciated ...

Your blindness to the situation with illegals is not.

One day your neighborhood will have business signs ... in spanish.
Your fast food restaurant workers will speak to you first ... in spanish.
Your gardeners, house keepers and employees will speak ... in spanish.

And the english language that you speak now will be lost to history.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
This is going to get very interesting come tomorrow. CNN news just stated that many schools have advised parents that disciplinary action may be taken against students who do not attend school without a legitimate reason.

Good move on the part of education since it is not a legal holiday in the US and attending a demonstration is not a legitimate excuse.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
as far as the protest tomorrow goes i think its going to have consequences for all.
this is going to create bad blood and mistrust, those who think themselves radical might start fights bu i think the focus is not on the whole but primarily south of the border.
DOnt forget illegal imigrants get here by other means such as conainers from overseas and the canadian border.
you can never stop this it will happen one way or another its almost an industry onto itself.
things i dont agree with:
I don't agree in singing the national anthem in spanish, its a big lack of respect for this country and the meaning of the song is not the same in spanish or any other language.
Don't be greedy and selfish just because you are already here.
Don't cry faul about welfare when its mostly the citizens that are using it.
things i agree with:
illegal imigration is a crime that needs to be stopped
anyone comming here should learn english and americanize
you should be able to keep your ethnic identity while inegrating to the way of life here
this country should be protected from becoming a third wold nation

the only people that i think dont deserve to be here are criminals (people that hurt other people), and people that want to make something of themselves should be welcomed with open arms.

[edit on 30-4-2006 by razor1000]

TPL

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I think it depends on whether how peaceful the protests are. If peaceful and respectful they may gain some support although more likely is that the current situation will remain. If violence to a large degree occurs then i'd expect a backlash both from the local people and from the government that will do their cause no good at all.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop

Heaven forbid....

After all diversity is such a horrible thing.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2stepsfromtop

They already do in the southwest, even the road signs are in kilometers south of Tucson. Your 20 years late.

Best way to insure continued illegal immigration is to keep voting for the same bums from the same two party system, remain an unsconcious shopper, and increase personal debt. That covers about 97% of the population

[edit on 1-5-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I am sorry, but if they are here ILLEGALLY, they need to be sent home! I would say that for any illegal alien no matter what country they are from. They sneak in here across a terribly porous border illegally... now they want to get right in our faces and protest?

Lets see.. millions of illegals protesting and "shutting down" cities... sounds to me like the perfect time to round 'em up and send'em home.

Who's got a net?

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
OK I'm sorry if this seem a little ignorant, but why the hell are these illegal aliens protesting by waving the Mexican flag and singing the Mexican anthem? Shouldn't they be waving American Flags and Singing the USA national anthem if they wanted to stay in the United States? Also, why should we let the illegals become citizens if they are so hellbent on shutting down our economy?

IMO the illegals are just grasping at thin air and will soon be removed from the country once the Illegal Alien bill is passed by congress. Hopefully once the proposed wall is erected, illegal immigration will slow to a halt and public programs will be used solely by American citizens.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Big day for me! My wedding anniversary and the immigration protest!

I hope its not bad and those who do go out and protest, do so quietly, for everyone's sake.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
SWEET DELIVERANCE! There was absolutely no traffic this morning on the way to work proving my point that 90% of my town are illegals. Can we please get a national decade without an immigrant so i can drive to work in peace? When 90% of your town doesnt show up for work then id say that houston, we have a problem. I did see some spanish people this morning and God bless them for showing up to work. As far as im concerned they just earned their right to citizenship there, assuming they arent already LEGAL immigrants or citizens that is.

The DC area has got a serious problem with illegals and its high time that it was fixed. Send them all home and make them go through the legal process, just like my Irish ancestors did. If they had any stones at all they would go home and toss out their worthless government and fix their own backyard.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Unfortunatedly, i am too removed from where the action will be. Here, we have many Brazilians, but they do have the common sense to come legally.

My hats off to them.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Hot temps = hot heads is a recipe for riots? Looks like it might hit 100 degrees in Phoenix today and high temps have an effect on increasing road rage incidents.

Guess we'll find out if high temps have an effect on protestors tempers.
Good day to stay home though.

Some say no way Jose, el grande floppo:
Immigration Expert Predicts Today's Protest Will Flop,
Says National Legal and Policy Center

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Vamonos, a la protesta!

The heat wont stop them. Trust me, i remember walking 1 1/2 miles in 118 degrees in Phoenix- Life goes on as usual.

[edit on 1-5-2006 by dgtempe]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join