It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Canada a police state?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Yes it is an even trade off.

Think about it, the police are not testing every single driver they stop. They are testing those they suspect of being under the influence. If the officer does not have the right to ask the driver for a sample, how can we prove if he is under the weather? If he did not have the right and had to let him drive on, what if he killed a small child up the road? How would that officer feel? How would our society feel?

The right has to be granted in order to save lives. I have never seen, or ever heard of this power being abused.

I have heard of it saving lives on a regular basis however.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
As long as I've had a drivers licence (almost 20 years) there have been roadblocks for drunk drivers.

I have no problem at all with the program.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Around Christmas in our area they set up some roadblocks for Drunk drivers. It is a great idea and I believe they had close to 50 arrests due to it. How could somebody possibly argue this? I firmly believe atleast one life has been saved due to these road blocks.

The driver himself has to be thanking the police for the road block, a fine and no license is deffinately better than a long jail sentence and the guilt of taking an innocent life.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I live in Canada, and have for my entire life (24 years). I certainly do not feel like this is a police state, or anything close to it. And with the checkpoints for drivers, I think that it is fairly reasonable to randomly check people to make sure they are driving legally. Also, those checkpoints are fairly rare (I have never once been in a vehicle stopped at one) and I think they are more frequent around times when people are more likely to be drunk on the road, like New Year's or that kind of thing.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The consensus that I am beginning to see here is the only complaints on this subject are coming from citizens outside of the country. All Canadians that I have seen posted so far have no complaints and are applauding the system we have.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Here in Alberta, in my experience, Checkstops are only set up during night time on 3 day weekends and during the holiday season.
Does this infringe on peoples right to drive? No. No one has the right to drive, it is a privilege.
Is a Checkstop a sign of a police state? No way. That is like saying a metal detector at the airport is a sign of a police state.

Read all about check stops here.

www.saferoads.com

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
An outsider who has lived and worked in Canada would be more able to do comparison between systems. A Canadian who has lived in other countries (not traveled) would be able to see things from an outsider’s point of view as well.

Besides, the Checkpoint thing is mostly my idea, and I think it has been established that it being used everywhere. So that argument is out, at least especially for Canada. Some believe it is being done for good, others like me believe it is too much. That’s a matter of opinion, not fact. But I hope some can see how such a mechanism could easily be used to impede on personal freedom.

Cop wins RCMP settlement after highway search
CBC News

VANCOUVER– A Vancouver man has won an out-of-court settlement from the RCMP after an incident in which he says he was illegally searched.

David Laing says police overstepped the law when they stopped his car, decided he was driving under the influence of marijuana, and searched his vehicle and two-year-old son.

Source: www.cbc.ca...

The weirdest thing is, he was pulled over by an American cop in Canada! It’s worth the read.

Chomsky mentioned it too, when he was lecturing in Canada, he noticed that Canadians love to hear about the failures of the US system, but when he called Lester B. Pearson a war criminal no one was listening.

[edit on 28/4/06 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I mentioned that what made me think of this was a David Icke interview. Now the Interview itself is before 911, since he doesn’t mention it. So he was probably referring to the following incident:

In the last few days, I have been subjected to another onslaught, this time in Canada, with the newspapers of Conrad Black (Bilderberg Group Inner Elite) at the fore.

The ADL dubbed me "anti-Jewish" which anyone reading my books or hearing my talks will know to be the ultimate fantasy.

All my bags and cases were searched by a guy wearing rubber gloves (must have been my socks) I was kept there till 2am in the morning while he read through all the material in my bags and, being a researcher, that was a hell of a lot.

The immigration kept me there till four o'clock!!

That’s just at the airport, he was then harassed for supposedly working without a work permit, and his lectures were cancelled. You can read about it here:
www.rense.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Sounds like someone is a little ticked at there country and are looking to try to compare anything they can get a hold of to make them feel better. I'm really sorry about your "Patriot Act" . Unfortunatly I don't get to vote in the U.S. and apparently this is GWB's second term. You get what you vote for!
I have been all over the world and I can say with no hesitation that I love everything about Canada and could not be happier and safer to be here.
Not trying to start anything trust me and the rest of the world! we feel for ya!

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
If you do the crime in most cases you deserve the time.

Here in Canada the police aren't that bad well most of them. If you drive like an idiot drunk or not you do not deserve to drive at all. Next Canada doesn't have the resources to subdue it's people. We have police sure but not enough to really control the population. I have been to the US for business many time and i find that country to be getting worse and it's people stupider by the minute. No offense to my American counterparts but when you rank education, healthcare, wages, unemployment, prison population, drop out rates etc America is falling behind fast. I heard Tucker Carlson say that Canada was America's retarded cousin and that we are overstepping our boundries etc. When you look at who controls who look no further then Canada we are the largest supplier of American energy and second largest supplier in the world next to Saudi Arabia. We also have no national deficit to other countries either infact.

Canada is everything now America wanted to be and we did it with a population of about 32 million. Our government is also passing something called the federal accountability act which will prevent politicians from accepting huge gifts from corperate interests limiting corruption in Ottawa. America tried to do something similar but it failed because all the senators bought off out number the ones not by 2 to 1.

Come on America take back control of your government and media.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Despite what some are saying here the strong armed tactics of police in Canada has been growing fast in the past 20 years. Especially in the large cities. In Toronto, due to massive immigration the police have gotten quite a bit tougher than they used to be. Also, a lot of policing seems related to raising money for city coffers over needful law enforcement. For example on a recent holiday weekend cops were out in force to ticket people in residental areas not parked legally... knowing full well that many were from out of town and it was just for a brief visit. It is actions like this that make you think that the police are @-holes or they are starting to enforce the coming police state.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
i have lived 1/4 mile from canada my whole life i grew up in the same town i am raising my children as a teenager we used to go to canada all the time to party and only on 1 occasion did we ever get pulled over and the reason was because as we left the bar there was 6 of us in a pontiac grand prix and 5 of us rooted the driver on to doing a burn out he made it 50 feet down the road and got pulled over about as drunk as can be and the officer told him to get us all home and let him go.

If i were to move to any other country in the world it would be canada thier government IMO seems to be more compassionate to thier citizens also.

right here in the states we have what i like to call illegal road blocks to stop people to see if they are drunk or are wearing thier seatbelts some states even put up road blocks along interstate exits to stop vehicles to search them for illegal drugs and this has been going on for a long time US is way more of a police state then canada hands down.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Just so there is no confusion I should point out that I am Canadian. I’m sorry I offended some of you! but I love my country as much as any of you and I’m looking for signs of the NWO in Canada, hence my reason to posting this in this forum.

Here’s Chomsky on calling Pearson a war criminal.

it's the main national sort of interview program in Canada and every time I landed in Toronto they were delighted to have me come, and this one time I decided that I was sick and tired of it. The first question I was asked was "When did you come?" I said that I just landed at the war criminal airport, what you called Lester B. Pearson Airport. He said: "What do you mean, Lester Pearson was a war criminal?" Then I started running through Lester Pearson's record. He is there a big hero, Nobel Prize Winner. He has a horrendous record. The guy was getting red in the face and I sort of went from the air. He just broke it up and started screaming.

Source: www.zmag.org...

Isn’t that strange that something can’t be said in Canada?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Now I'm curious. What exactly had Pearson done to be labeled a war criminal?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
I moved from the USA to BC, and in comparison, there are hardly any police here. By far Ohio and Texas have the most police presence on their highways. When I was riding with my ex through Ohio there were police every 5 miles doing the famous loop on the freeway.

I feel ya' there man. I live in Texas; and I've been to other states, and a few other countries, and their police presence is no where near the ridiculous level that I'm used to Texas having. Though many times the police in Texas are too lazy to take action. And then the other half of the time they hide in the bushes and wait to jump out at you if you are .1 MPH over the speed limit. And then of course, there is always the famous "follow teenagers until they pull into a driveway" that I have been the victim of several times...

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

There's also the random road blocks, purpoted to be to stop "drunk drivers" but it seems to me it's a bit more than that, do they really need to see your insurance to determine if your drunk or not?

I come from the UK and now live in Vancouver BC and I noticed that if your caught DUI as they call it, you get your driving license taken from you for 24hrs if your not too drunk, you then pay a fine and go and collect your car the following day! In the UK, you would have to leave your car at the roadside where you were pulled over (if its safe) go to the cop shop, fill out the nessecary paperwork cos you have been ARRESTED, go to court, get banned for a year minimum, your insurance sky-rockets, your socially outcast, and your job prospects for the future look alot dimmer!

In the UK there are cameras checking your every move (on the road and off it). They now even have them in the 'cats-eyes' on the roads white lines! And you think we are living in a 'Police State?!'

If there is a disturbance outside my property in Canada, within 1-2 minutes MAX the police are outside my house to sort out the problem. Now I am not too sure if thats classed as a 'police state', but from what I remember from living in the UK, thats the kind of police service wanted by the voting public and promised by every political party at every general election (and never delivered).

Its only those who have something to hide from the police who need to worry if they get stopped in a roadblock or coming through customs or worry about the amount of cctv cameras in the city.

Peace
McP.

[edit on 28/4/06 by Mcphisto]

jra

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Canada a police state? hahaha hardly. Leave it to David Icke to come up with something so silly.

Roadchecks are no big deal at all. It's been so long since i've seen one. They usually set them on friday and saturday nights, but not always. And as some one already said, also on long weekends when lots of people like to party and get drunk. It's just for other peoples safety. I don't see how this is a bad thing. When I go through them, it takes all of about 5 seconds. No big deal at all. They rarely ask for my license or insurance papers. The only searching of my car they do is just looking through the windows, shinning a flashlight through it. Big deal.

As for tighter security post 9/11. Well I think that's kind of understandable and somewhat of a given. Wasn't Canada blamed for having let some of those 9/11 terrorists through in the first place? Sorry for trying to be thorough...

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If you don't like the rules don't live in it. Be statisfied with humongous drug prices in the US, high taxes from all the pork-wars, And whatever else you pride.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Canada Is not A Police State... The Country on your border though hmmmms is turning out to be one watch ur borders canada LOL.......... (i meant USA.).. Hhell no all you canadians are nutters is a good ways off course..!

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Iin reply to Mcphisto

If there is a disturbance outside my property in Canada, within 1-2 minutes
MAX the police are outside my house to sort out the problem. Now I am not too
sure if thats classed as a 'police state', but from what I remember from
living in the UK, thats the kind of police service wanted by the voting public
and promised by every political party at every general election
(and never delivered).

Couldnt agree with you more there... most of the time when the pigs (police) are called, they turn a blind eye to it... until something dtratic is done about the problem..Nno wonder the crime rates are in a rise here int he UK blah blah blah

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join