It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the body a temple for the soul, or prison for the spirit?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Our bodies are just meat and bone and gristle that reacts as an organism to various internal and external stimuli. There is no "soul" or "spirit" contained in it. We are like waterfalls. A form that exists differently from moment to moment. Do waterfalls have souls?

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl
Back to the topic, If the physical body is a prison what did your spirit do wrong to deserve such a punishment?

Think about it.

A physical body is not a prison. The prison is to be a slave to sin. The soul is tempted to sin and then proceeds to carry out the act of defiance through the body, because the spirit of a person is not tuned to God.

Remember the spirit of a person is the abiltiy/desire to know and communicate with God. The soul of a person is in a nutshell, who someone is.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
To view the body as a 'temple' is to glorify the material at the expense of the spiritual.
To value physical appearance over spiritual existence.
A books illustrated cover over the written material contained within.
Basically, style over substance.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by point
To view the body as a 'temple' is to glorify the material at the expense of the spiritual.

Except that the Bible tells us that a person who trusts Jesus Christ does become the temple of the Holy Spirit, God Himself. The should humble a person because that brings AWESOME responsibilities. And the God of the universe who can literally, create something out of nothing wants to live in you. He wants to have you be apart of what He has planned for all of eternity. To be an intricle part of history (we cannot even begin to imagine what this will involve). It's even hard for us, who are bound by time to imagine eternity, but eternity involves not being on a countdown to dying but every "minute" of eternity will be better than the previous one that has just passed, and as these minutes pass we haven't used any of them up because they are of an endless quantity.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Except that the Bible tells us that a person who trusts Jesus Christ does become the temple of the Holy Spirit, God Himself.

In my opinion, The Bible is not a reliable source when concerning what Jesus did or did not say.
Never the less, the 'person' is more than just the physical body.
One could become the 'temple' of the Holy Spirit without residing in a physical body.
Replace the word 'person' with 'one' in the above quote. That may make what I'm saying a bit clearer.

[edit on 5-5-2006 by point]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by point

In my opinion, The Bible is not a reliable source when concerning what Jesus did or did not say.

Replace the word 'person' with 'one' in the above quote. That may make what I'm saying a bit clearer.

[edit on 5-5-2006 by point]

Everyone has to make that choice about the Bible, believe it or don't.

And actually it doesn't get clearer.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
" Our bodies are just meat and bone and
gristle that reacts as an organism to various
internal and external stimuli. There is no
"soul" or "spirit" contained in it.
We are like waterfalls.... "

I couldn't disagree more

YOU perhaps may be an organic portal,
a body with no soul/spirit , I dunno for sure.
But I'm thinking, you are just a skeptic
and have a lesson to learn.

I have a soul, and I know it.

goodluck on your journey...

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by toasted
I couldn't disagree more

Ditto.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Volatile

Originally posted by toasted
I couldn't disagree more

Ditto.

Guys,

Everyone is open to have an opinion. Cant find a reason to be too hard. It has turned into a fantastic debate and it is great to see so many responses with people thoughts...

It is essential for those who critically dnt believe in a soul to ask themselves a question. Why do we die? Is it the mind or is there a life force which leaves the body which results in one's death? Who am I?

The minute the soul leaves the body, [let us exclude the enlightened souls] why do our body organs fail. Does the failure of the kidney lead to death? Severe damage to the brain lead to death? We may enter a coma because of a serious injury to the head, but it is not the sole factor which causes it. Obviously God the time set for everyone and it is He who can summon the soul. It is this departure which results in the death of our body.

Opinion for discussion....

Volatle, to the question on Karma,....well, it is a belief as yours and mine in the existence of soul, so is the belief in Karma. It is a possibility that such a thing does exist however with a deeper understanding we may be able to find out what it is or if it exists or not. Time can be the only solice for our queries......

Rgds

K23

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I believe it is a vehicle that you have manifested for yourself, to experience a physical life. if you intention was to create a prison for yourself, well I guess that is what it is. I chose to believe mine is a schoolhouse, and, well, I'll admit some lessons are a real pain to learn.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
@Knowledge - Many times I amplify the meaning that I am a 'buddhist', and I am sorry for that. I believe in Buddha, yes, I believe he was a man like Jesus who walked Earth. Buddha is not a God in my opinion, but a normal human being that escaped the boundaries of physical life... That is why I believe in him.

As for karma, I don't know... And really, we don't need to know in the end... As all preaches in all religions lead back to one sentence: "Love the world around you, and be good".

And yes, everyone is right to an opinion and I wasn't disqualifing his. The reason why I got so harsh was because of the way he told us of his belief. Sounded like more of that christian babble as I see alot of on these forums, and I am pretty much sick it by now :/

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
I believe it is a vehicle that you have manifested for yourself, to experience a physical life. if you intention was to create a prison for yourself, well I guess that is what it is. I chose to believe mine is a schoolhouse, and, well, I'll admit some lessons are a real pain to learn.

Why would anyone want to intentionally create a prison for themselves?
Does choosing to believe something make it so?
If I was locked in a prison cell and chose to believe it was a five star hotel, I suppose that is my prerogative, but it would take a fair bit of 'believing' to sustain that comparitively pleasant illusion. (especially when I find out someone called 'Killer Kawalski' is my new cell-mate.)

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Volatile,

Great to hear that you believe in Buddha. I may have missed reading it in the posts. Gautam Buddha achieved enlightenment. He managed to unlock the mysteries of the world and gained salvation/moksa. Gautam Buddha endured a lot of suffering, pain and anguish to attain the light of God. Would I be wrong by assuming that this could be due to his past karma? As, I have mentioned it is just my presumtion.

The path of God is not easy. Gautam Buddha attained it. I would term him as a very highly developed soul. He is our instrument to attain God. It is our belief in Him and His guidance that we manage to attain God. The same as what Jesus has said. If i recollect this correctly, he mentioned that it is through him that one can reach the father. Hence the path to salvation is through Jesus. This is obviously for those who believe in Christanity. Different cultures different belief's.

I agree it is only through love that one can reach God. I read in a book, about a very interesting note which i am happy to share. It is about a yogi student and his master. The master was giving a speech on a topic and there was a fly that kept on harrassing the student. The student initially tried to divert his attention, but the fly would not go. He did not raise his hand though. The master suddenly broke his trans during the teaching and told the student to kill the fly. The student was surprised and asked his master that it would be a sin to kill the fly. The master said, but you thought of killing the fly in your mind so you have already incurred a sin.

I am sure there would be alot many story like these, but the point which i am trying to make here is it is the control of the mind which is the challenge to the attainment of God. I hope we all can achieve that one day. Everyone is open to an opinion and I was not taking a hit at you. There will be critics and there will be others strongly propagating the religion that they believe. I strongly recommend to encourage it because if we love Him, any road one takes it stops at one stop.

I must confess in the matter of religion any critic is always a good critic. It gives people who believe to convince them of a higher power. If someone tries to promote their beliefs good for them, but what you and I believe in will not change. It is those experiences which we have gained through the years of our trust that gives us an assurance that the one we believe in will be there in our good and bad times. I however do questions matters outside the regimes of religion purely for information and to establish authenicity.

I hope the discussion laid a bit more clarity on my thoughts and please dnt take it as a negative aspect but my opinion on the discussion.

Rgds

K23

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I don't exactly know much about Buddha's early life, as it has never been told to me.

Care explain what pain he was in? I got the impression that you meant he was in pain and frustration under his meditation because he could never "get it right"... He also started looking away from his bodily needs and never fed himself twelve - six years before his awakening.

And yes, it is truly hard to stay clear-minded forever. I envy Buddha in a sort of way... His mind must have been immense. Imagine his focus and balance.

I practice yoga and meditation in hopes of following his footsteps in a sort of way. But I think I was discover a different path before the end.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The soul is an electromagnetic potential a "constant energy" that flows with the universe the body houses this consciousness.Nothing is out of a souls reach only a memory relapse.The soul is defined by bounderies, when in the end it is boundless.Each layer of the soul is an awareness and within that awareness is its bounderies.The soul is a electromagnetic particle sphere with layers of Dark Space each with there own feel and consciousness.Imagine you are a consciousness traveling through layers of space, as you travel from the darker areas you notice a heavier feeling and as you cross each layer a lighter floating euphoria.

(Added Note):You are "space"/consciousness traveling through time=Layers of light

[edit on 10-5-2006 by menguard]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard
Imagine you are a consciousness traveling through layers of space, as you travel from the darker areas you notice a heavier feeling and as you cross each layer a lighter floating euphoria.

(Added Note):You are "space"/consciousness traveling through time=Layers of light

[edit on 10-5-2006 by menguard]

Menuguard,

Can you please elaborate on the above mentioned quote?

Rgds

K23

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It means that we are part of "everything" nothing seperates itself from us.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Menuguard,

Thankyou for your prompt response.

Just trying to understand the contex of the post.

Good and Bad are a part of us. It is we who decide the difference between them, because if I comprehend your note, "we are part of everything nothing separates itself from us"

Is it the choice of the soul to take this initiative to distinguish between this?

As you have mentioned at the end it is boundless. Who defines the boundries or the limit of its present existence?

Are any influences of our present deed held within our subconcious? If so does it influence its rebirth?

Thankyou

Rgds

K23

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by knowledge23
Are any influences of our present deed held within our subconcious? If so does it influence its rebirth?

I'm sorry, but could you rephrase that? :/

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Volatile,

Good that you could join us :-)

More than happy to elaborate.

Each soul [subconscious] is bound within this material body in a definite time frame. During this time Good and Bad deeds are committed.

Is this somehow recorded or does it affect the subconcious?

Either way does the good and bad affect re birth?

Hope I have tried to make myself more clear. If not please let me know and more than happy to explain again.

Thankyou.

Rgds

K23

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join