It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the body a temple for the soul, or prison for the spirit?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I have heard the popular saying, "The body is the temple for the soul" many times.
Is it really?
To me, it appears to be more of a prison for the spirit.
For starters, it's bound by gravity to the earth. This can be compared to a bird being placed in a cage for its whole life.
The very fact that most people cannot conciously leave their body whenever they choose points to it's prison like qualities.

Even when astral travelling many report the exstence of the 'silver chord'
that connects the astral body to the physical body.
This could be seen as an elastic 'ball and chain' that can be yanked at the behest of the body.

When ones body is severely injured or stricken by disease and permanently disabled the prison-like qualities are further enhanced.

[edit on 22-4-2006 by point]

[edit on 22-4-2006 by point]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Cynism: I guess one of us lives a suck life?

So what you're saying, is you don't like the physical world... Like basicly...?

It can be a prison, but I refere to it as my temple, like the buddhists do. I enjoy my every moment in the physical world, as it could be my first and last time being in such a dimension.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I wouldn't call the body a prison... but we are trapped in this body. And yes, our bodies are the temple of our soul. How can we do good works and care for ourselves and others in a physical world without a physical body? (We can - but very few of us seem to hear, see or know the spiritual beings are around)

For starters, it's bound by gravity to the earth. This can be compared to a bird being placed in a cage for its whole life.

Well.... our time here on earth is like a quick flash - we are here so very briefly. Our 'whole life' is an eternity that is timeless. But it's not gravity that binds us here - it's the body itself.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Truly, the body is a "temple for the soul," the physical manifestation of Spirit/Soul in this plane. As a body, it is subject to afflictions by man or nature. Then, perhaps, we feel we are imprisoned. But Spirit/Soul is different and higher than physical, and it is This which is beyond this plane. What we do with Spirit is ultimately more important than the body, but we must respect our bodies, as they are important for our Spirit to Live here.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The body is a prison for the spirit without doubt. I guess it depends on how good it is for you in terms of your view of reality. Myself I don't think there is anything such as 100% determinism in this realm unfortunately. We have too much interfering with this reality for mankind to experience their full potential in this existance as they were designed to do.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
We have too much interfering with this reality for mankind to experience their full potential in this existance as they were designed to do.

Yeah, as a whole humans or life can suck sometimes, but sometimes that is exactly when mankind, or one person, can experience full potential. Do not mistake perfection for full potential. Not all the flowers in my garden reach the same height, yet they are all beautiful.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I think that you need to know the difference between the soul and the spirit to make a call on weather your body is a temple or a prison.
We do know the body is......
We do know the soul is....
We do know the spirit is...

IS to one another...
IS home for the....
IS the temple of...
IS the prison...

Im still looking and asking others for an idea on this. See other posts...other peoples "points" of view.
IMO we need more information to know the truth.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I get laughed at when i tell this to people, but at night, i place my hands about a foot out in front of me, elbows on the bed, palms facing about a foot apart ---- and wait - I go into a feeling like sat at the bottom of a well, looking UP at my body, then i float up to my body, the SIT out of myself. I then get to step out into the world and beyond.

I don't do it very much, as I have seen some real freaky things, and its only on a rare occasion I can get further than about 20 feet before I see this little creature, which makes me panic and I fly back into my body...

Freaky, but true.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
haha i laughed when i saw this topic, i like it : )
Well if you want to be neutral, you can call it a container.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Prison for the spirit, without a doubt. There just seems to be so many limitations to what I can do in may waking hours. If only there were a button to eject from this physical capsule from time to time.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
It's a prison, and what's worst, it's a prison without windows, not only are we prisoners, but we can't see what's outside, that's the illusion that makes some of you think it's not a prison, you don't see what you are missing.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It is ones perception. From the above post there is no right or wrong nor is there a definate pin point answer. I believe in karma and each and every soul has a definate purpose to serve. Complexity exists in understanding karma and not that many will be able to confirm conquering the concepts of the wheel of karma.

The soul for those who believe is trapped within the moral body. The body is the means to reach the higher power. Even God's Son Christ [Christianity] and Krishna [God Himself, Hindu Religion] took form in human form. The purpose of their presence we all know, though the comprehension may vary. Through penance and devotion, Gautam Buddha achieved the way to God. Ashoka, a great warrior king turned towards Buddism and changed his life. There is no obvious proof for their higher leviation in the karma cycle or their freedom from its chain, however everything needs to be achieved by us as mortals through the soul which is imbound within the mortal body.

It is true, we wont be here again and nor will this time come back. What we do will reflect on where we go....

Considering our souls to be slaves to the body, would be a true point, until we try to free ourselves from its shackles. I do believe that there is no bad time or is our past important as long as the next step is for advancement and enlightment.

Thoughts guys....open to you all...........

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
A body could be both.. a temple can be a prison for some, a prison a temple for others, depends where you're comming from

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it would really depend on your definition of the word 'soul.'

Going on my own definition, though, I'd say it's a little of both. Maybe it is a prison, but being imprisoned doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing-- people are imprisoned for protection as much as for acts of violence.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Look at my nick!

Yeah I think we are "trapped" inside this body, but i'm not complaining yet.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledge23
The soul for those who believe is trapped within the moral body. The body is the means to reach the higher power. Even God's Son Christ [Christianity] and Krishna [God Himself, Hindu Religion] took form in human form. The purpose of their presence we all know, though the comprehension may vary. Through penance and devotion, Gautam Buddha achieved the way to God. Ashoka, a great warrior king turned towards Buddism and changed his life. There is no obvious proof for their higher leviation in the karma cycle or their freedom from its chain, however everything needs to be achieved by us as mortals through the soul which is imbound within the mortal body.

Why is a mortal physical body needed to reach a higher power?
It could be looked apon as a hinderance, a barrier and distraction.
The karmic cycle of birth and rebirth seems to be quite a trap in itself.
Wasn't Buddha supposedly demonstrating a way (by his example) to rise above this seemingly endless merry go round, freeing oneself from the chains?

[edit on 28-4-2006 by point]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by point
1. Why is a mortal physical body needed to reach a higher power?
It could be looked apon as a hinderance, a barrier and distraction.

2. Wasn't Buddha supposedly demonstrating a way (by his example) to rise above this seemingly endless merry go round, freeing oneself from the chains?

[edit on 28-4-2006 by point]

1. The distrations are challenges that need to be defeated before you are ready for something higher, in the spiritual realm, you have no challenges (I believe).

2. Yes, he achieved 'Nirvana' which is a breach of rebirth. When you achieve Nirvana (translated: enlightenment) you are no longer reborn into the mortal realm, and free of suffering and pity.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Point,

Before I start, I do apologise for the spelling mistake. It was mortal body which I was trying to say not moral. Thankyou for overlooking the spell error and comprehending the correct word.

I must confess I am not a scholar on this debate and I usually reflect on some reading which I have done mingled with a bit of my thoughts. As I understand the soul has to go through a number of life cycles before it attains the human form, which is as we know the highest order or form of existence. During these life cycles the soul goes through the karmic cycle and the attraction of Maya [illusion]. To achieve the way to God one must free himself/herself from the clutches of Maya. Maya is a very broad definition which encompess everything around us, from materialism to attachment to our loved ones. It is total detachment with the thought of God only as a sole purpose of existence. During these birth cycles we accumlate as per our deeds and this influences our re birth. If we have done good deeds in a life, as a human form, then when we are re born again, we may not be born as the lowest life form. This all depends however on our deeds. The highest form known is human. It has the understanding to distinguish between Good and Evil. It is due to this complexity of the role, that God puts us in this position, to choose his path or not choose his path or partially choice his path. It is upto us. We have the option to make the decision to wipe out bad karma by good deeds and devote ourselves to achieve the path of God. The point is to understand the good karma and bad karma an individual may have. However, this is something which I guess is a huge secret and maybe only known to the highly enlightened souls.

What volatile has mentioned is correct. Nirvana or Moksha, is what he attained. As I recollect the story, Siddartha, was a king who was married and had a son. He enjoyed all the luxory of life as a king. There were three instances which changed his life. I cannot recollect all three but they were to do with the misery which he noticed around him. He wanted to know why people die and why there is poverty and suffering. He decided to leave everything he had and went into the forest to meditate and seek god. When he came back he had changed his name to Buddha and had attained answers to his questions. If a soul achieved Moksha or Nirvana, it is free from the cycle of birth and death.

Dnt take me as a scholar on this topic but as i have mentioned based on readings in Hindu scriptures and my comprehension of the reading. It is a debate which is open and i guess only those who have attained such levels can confirm our thoughts. I do understand if such individuals dnt due to critism which is mostly due to the current enviornment around us. I would myself be a skeptic if someone did claim. On a lighter note, this shows my karmic points which i guess are not that good :-). Going back to the topic, i think this is something which needs to be felt from inside and which doesnt have an explanation or logic attached. It is something which is tough to understand. I consider the Bhagvat Gita as a good source of information along with the bible as a good source to understand the hidden secrets. For the Bhagvat Gita I would recomment to read about Mahabharat so that it gives you an understanding of the texts. This will be a long read but a read which i would recommend. I would however like to warn you that to understand these texts you must detach yourself from your own feelings. Read it with an open mind and dnt try to reflect on your current situation with what is in the text. Read it with an open mind. Some good takes from the text is on doing our tasks on hand without focusing on the result. It is the attachment to the result which diverts and puts pressure on the task and when it is not achieved we are faced with anguish. We must understand that we can do as much. We can control the task that we are doing but do not have any control on the outcome.It is the attachment to the fruit of appreciation and not the task which creates the pain. This is a great intake in our present world. There is so much competition in todays world. We need to achieve to advance in life. But here we are told to concerntrate on our task rather than result. I personally reflect alot on it in everydays life. To summon the above, the focus should be on the task rather than the outcome....

In Google if you typed Mahabharat and Bhagvat Gita I am sure youll find alot of links. However if you cant just let me know, and ill ensure to attach links for your convienence.

I have tried to explain myself however if there is something which is not clear please feel free to ask and ill try my best to explain. It is an open debate.

Cheers

Knowledge23

[edit on 28-4-2006 by knowledge23]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The body is only a vehicle we utilise in this physical world to learn what we must learn before the next step on our journey.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well, I remember reading that human form isn't the highest form of existance (its the highest KNOWN), but a saint was, and that is what you become if you have a good karma.

Uhhh, I feel strange... Uh, anyway...

as knowledge states, Siddartha was the son of a king in India (or Nepal). Siddartha's mother died a few days after child birth and a seer came to the king and told him that his son would either be a great king or great holy man. So the king tried to stop Siddartha from seeing anything on the outside of the world (suffering, pity, ignorance and so on). One day, Siddartha got out of the castle and saw; an old crippled man, a sick man, a decaying corpse, and a wandering holy man. They made an impression on him and he began to question what the nature of life was.

After that, he became a Yogi and Meditator. He tried to meditate beyond the physical needs. So he meditated although he was about to starve to death. After six years, he nearly gave up, but at the moment he gave up, he remembered he had seen his father starting the season's plowing. He felt refreshed and great and time seemed to stop.

He one day accepted some buttermilk to strengthen his body, after he has stopped focusing on asceticism. He found a pipal tree and sat at it. He vowed he would never arise without finding the truth. And he did, he found enlightment (Nirvana).

That pretty much wraps it up?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join