It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Opinion on this photo

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
But with the exception of the what I considered the nosecone area which has a slight dip the top and bottom are at right angles and the object is completly different in color from the background. Its also detached from the rock behind and to the front of it.

I examined the area you mentioned and noticed that we both made a mistake in our interpretations of the contour. It is barely visible but there is a large rock formation that extends out from the "cone" area you mentioned. The rock has been outlined in my illustration below. I am certain I have the right side of the object outlined correctly because I had a frame of reference (the terrain on the right and the shadowy regions on it.) The left side, however, probably isn't accurate as I could barely see any lines and most of the lines appeared to be artifacts created by the JPG image format that were enlarged enough to give the appearance of being a part of the actual picture. I simply picked one of the darker lines and sloped a red line down it and thought "that's good enough." The left side of this rock is irrelevant so I see no harm in the inaccuracy there. Like I said though, the right side--the relevant side--does appear to be as accurate as one could expect from such a low quality image.

The right side of the large, barely visible, rock slopes down toward the terrain and the small black rock (the tip of the "cone".) There is a slight shadow around the small black rock closer to the camera and the terrain in the background combine to form a right-angle placebo. Slightly above this area I marked a neon-green line showing how the terrain, terrain shadows, and the small black rock come together to create a right-angle placebo effect.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
why is it when someone puts up a photo it is almost always fuzzy pictures and someone has to figure it out. find a clear shot. I know its a UFO on mars see the aliens inside too.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by a bird
why is it when someone puts up a photo it is almost always fuzzy pictures and someone has to figure it out. find a clear shot. I know its a UFO on mars see the aliens inside too.

Its a fuzzy shot because its been zoomed in. I left a link to the original picture there. Please feel free to edit it yourself. My editing skills are limited. I used Irfanview. I look forward to seeing the reults of your effort.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by a bird

I absolutely agree with that - there is absolutely no X-wing anywhere in that picture, just alot of rocks geology guys

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
ThePieMan:

It looks like a natural formation to me... you can see my take on it here:

www.torbtown.com...

No sharpening, smoothing, brightness or contrast fiddeling, just Emboss and Enlargements...

However, I did notice a 2 pixel by 4 pixel dot in the upper left hand corner of the original, which puts it in the sky... it's either a glitch, some little rover probe tip that got in the picture, an airborne particle, a speck on the camera lens, or a bug, bird, or aircraft *laughs*

2 pixels by 4 pixels is Not a lot to work with, but I find that dot to be more interesting than the X-Wing hill *shrugs*

rock on
twj

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well it does look weird...but what exactly is it a picture of? Maybe then i will see why it looks strange.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The robot tracks stirred the dirt on top, and seem to have revealed a very clear, and white substance...

Snow?
maybe dry ice?

seems to be very different just a few centimeters down from the top "crust"

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I think that its just the side of an hill that is slightly more perpendicular to the sunlight, so it appears whiter, but still darker than the sky.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Honestly, I think it looks like the back of a white limo with black tinted windows. Must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Honestly, my first thought, before knowing the origin, was a snapshot of one of the camo dudes' white SUVs, near Area 51, hehe.....

Thats exactly what I thought.

weird.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Looks like a couple of white cars (or somethign large like an SUV) parked in the middle of a desert. I don't think it's Mars simply because I've never seen an iamge from one fo the probes or rovers with such bad quality. Unless someone intentionally lowered the quality to spark discussion.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The first time I looked at it I saw what looked like a some sort of jet or space craft with two windows with a pillar between. One window at the front and another wrapping around the side. But I tried to enhance it on photo editor with different effects, but nothing magical is happening, so I'd guess it is probably just rocks and shadows.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This pictures makes the Canals on Mars a good concept again. With such a bad image, one can make out what they want to see.

That image is so compressed it makes the sky look like its filled with huge flying bacteria. Now knowing that the bad artifacts are distorting a basic linear gradient tone of the sky so harshly, imagine what details are being washed out in the way distant terrain. Defining shapes based on such a corrupted image is more wishful thinking than anything else.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
To me looks like a little dome. I mean a building sligjtly above the ground with the dome pointed out. That's my impression...

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
My first impression is that the "boulders" in the photo look like a gremlin smoking a pipe facing to the rightside of the photo. My second impression was that it had to be fake since the gremlin with the pipe is far clearer than the rest of the photo.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It looks like just a regular hill with some dark boulders on it. The farthest I dare to say is a crash landed UFO. If you can tell us the source of the pic it would really help.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Based on the changes to the sky, all I can say is that an awful lot of edge detection has been run on this image, to the point of verging on enhancing randomness. I wouldn't push that edge detection any further. The sky is full of squiggles, so it seems it is already too far.

That being said, I could see how you see a cockpit, once you described it, but I don't think that is what is in this image. I think its raised terrain further away. Thats my 2 cents.

[edit on 3-4-2006 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Was there only one person besides me who thought at first it looked like a giant spider?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I think that its just the side of an hill that is slightly more perpendicular to the sunlight, so it appears whiter, but still darker than the sky.

Agreed! If it was something other than landscape do you honestly think we'd (joe public) be seeing it?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by torbjon
ThePieMan:

It looks like a natural formation to me... you can see my take on it here:

www.torbtown.com...

No sharpening, smoothing, brightness or contrast fiddeling, just Emboss and Enlargements...

However, I did notice a 2 pixel by 4 pixel dot in the upper left hand corner of the original, which puts it in the sky... it's either a glitch, some little rover probe tip that got in the picture, an airborne particle, a speck on the camera lens, or a bug, bird, or aircraft *laughs*

2 pixels by 4 pixels is Not a lot to work with, but I find that dot to be more interesting than the X-Wing hill *shrugs*

rock on
twj

You see the 2 black things that I said looked like a canopy of a jet? Why are those 2 suspended above the other rocks in the embossed photo with a empty space where the white part of the "jet" is?

Also as for that Dot in the left hand corner. That dot is on almost all the Raw images from Spirit on that cam for some reason. There have been some pretty cool pics from the rovers even though they have only traveled a little over 4 miles all this time

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join