It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Century Series Jet Fighters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The Century Series Fighters are the ultimate Cold War/Vietnam Era aircraft and also served NATO against the threat of soviet invasion

www.gl.iit.edu...

webs.lanset.com...

www.geocities.com...

www.edwards.af.mil...

www.dougncart.com...
www.webmutants.com...

www.wpafb.af.mil...

www.globalsecurity.org...

www.f-106deltadart.com...

www.f-100.org...

www.geocities.com...

Doesnt Italy vow to keep the F-104 Starfighter flying for some years longer?

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Browno]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The best Vientnam plane in my opinion was the F-5... Sure it wasn't as maneuverable as the MiG-21 but a good basic plane...

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
But the F-5 was never used in Vietnam was it? I am sticking my neck out but I'm sure it was never a front line type with the USAF.

edit; Doh! But what about the Vietnamese themselves, did they fly it operationally?

[edit on 22-3-2006 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Well this is how it is... I read that from a book called The Story of air-fighting... Written by Air-Vice-marshal J.E Jhonson... in the back they talk about F-4... So my bad there... But the picturetext is obviosuly wrong because it is an F-5 on the pic... That much I know...

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My personal favourite of the century planes is F-105 "Thunderchief"
Its firepower and mean looks make a grunt like my self bow

[edit on 22-3-2006 by northwolf]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I can see what you mean Browno but century series planes as the 'ultimate cold war planes'?

I think not.

That would have to be applied to planes like the American F 14, 15, 16, 18's and on the WARPAC side the Russian Mig 23, 25, 27, 29 and Su 27 - 35 series and not forgetting Europe's Tornado and even (considering the initial design period) the F22 and Typhoon, surely?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Similar era, but surely the English Electric Lightning is worth a mention

Let's just not mention the Javelin !

Thunderchief - Great name and a mean looking plane imo.

CodexK

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I would have to go with NorthWolf's choice, The "THUD"! For the same reasons, too---the plane's appearance and lines had a certain "sexiness" to it. Then, the unique features such as the airbrakes around the jet nozzles and that curve at the tail's leading edge that screamed of similar styling as automobiles of the same era! Idunno.....I think "CENTURY" Fighter, I think THUNDERCHIEF!!

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
www.fas.org...

The USAF made a combat evaluation of the F-5A under the Skoshi Tiger (little tiger) program in 1965. 12 aircraft were delivered for trials to the 4503rd Tactical Fighter Wing (subsequently the 10th Fighter Commando Squadron), redesignated F-5C. They performed combat duty in Vietnam, flying more than 3,500 sorties from the 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing at Bien Hoa in South Vietnam. Two aircraft were lost in combat. The program was short-lived, more a political gesture than a serious consideration of the type for U.S. service. The 10th FCS's surviving aircraft were subsequently turned over to the air force of South Vietnam. Ironically, when Bien Hoa was later overrun by Communist forces, several of the aircraft were captured and used operationally by the NVAF, in particular against China.

en.wikipedia.org...

I dont think they were suitable for operations over vietnam.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
If we're talking about favourites from the Century Series, I'm calling the F-104! That has to be one of the sexiest fighters of all time, and the sound they made....

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Jezza, thanks for that background info on the F-5, good stuff

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
If you like the Thud, You will love this site!
www.burrusspta.org...

Although the BAC Lightning was an Interceptor, It slightly reminds me of the Thud

www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk...

top topics

join