It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First 2006 Debate Tournament

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Can i claim the avatar with the planets colliding?? nice work by the way, very hard to pick

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So far we have:

1. chissler
  2. Zeratul
  3. grimreaper797
  4. xraided
  5. apothecary85
  6. bigdanprice
  7. truttseeker
  8. still available
  9. still available
  10. still available
  11. still available
  12. still available
  13. still available
  14. still available
  15. still available
  16. still available

probables:

rdube02
loam

This looks great, we'll certainly have an excellent tourny for everyone to participate in! I'm glad to see some new people taking the plunge too!

"Who dares, wins" no?

If you guys are concerned about time, the big constraints are being able to post a response within 24 hours (or being able to let us know that you forfeit a response [but of course not the debate, just that turn at response]), and then the time for the whole tourny to play out.

Each round will wait for all debates of the previous round to finish, so its possible for two faster debators to have a few days inbetween rounds, if other people are taking a long time with each response, and then there is the time for the judges to determine who is the winner.

It shouldn't consume very much time at all each day, but if someone is planning on going on vacation in the next week or so, they might not want to participate.

As chissler noted, the positions and topics are assigned at random. The suggested subjects are great, but keep in mind that we need debatable positions, such as "Iraq is in an open civil war now", with one getting the 'pro' and another the 'con' position.

What is being displayed is your rhetorical skill at corraling your opponent, and your logical ability to dissect his or her arguments and 'logic'.

As far as dating this girl:

If I get a chance to meet her, the last thing I'll be thinking about is this tourny!

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Let me clarify some of suggested topics, As nygdan has already clarfied the idea of the iraq civil war.

genetic engineering can we fully predict and forsee the consequences both (+/-) of altering our own genetics also specifically GMO foods will they solve world hunger or release more health problems onto the world as some have claimed?

Alternative energies a solution to the growing problem of pollution?

Pharma corps, are they looking out for our health or are they looking to inncrease profits at the sake of peoples health. hopefully this clarfies the subjects a bit more for all.

Apoth

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The debates are a lot of fun, but they do take time. It's not as easy as some folks think to form a brief, cogent argument on a deadline. The end product is great though, just reading back through past debates you learn an awful lot in a brief read. It's a good excercise, with great results.

(Winner gets the debate flag to wear in their avatar. I mean, sure, it's like stealing bread out of the mouths of my imaginary children, but go ahead and take it.)

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Hi, I would like to join this debate forum. It will be interesting to see what the topic is, and I like to research.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Okay, you can count me in. Can we trash talk our opponents while we're waiting...?

Looking forward to the debate - may the best ATS'r win!

-Ry

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
chissler

Zeratul

grimreaper797

xraided

apothecary85

bigdanprice

truttseeker

rdube02

whitelightwolf

mrjenka

still available

still available

still available

still available

still available

still available

Few more spots to be filled.

[edit on 21-3-2006 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I have been wondering when this is going to happen, please, count me in.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Please count me in as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'm in if you'll take me. This brain needs a stretchin'

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Im in....though usually no one appricates my sad humor

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the judges are free to give points for humor, but the main focus of the debates is on clearly presented fact and convincing rhetoric.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I'd like to get in on the debates. What exactly will the topics be for sure?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Great looks like all the spots are almost filled

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
chissler

Zeratul

grimreaper797

xraided

apothecary85

bigdanprice

truttseeker

rdube02

whitelightwolf

mrjenka

lucasman

ihatescifi

ConfederacyOfUnit

zenlover28

still available

still available

2 more, I dont think I am missing anybody

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
when does the tourney begin? Will we be notified by u2u or otherwise?

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
In Nygdans first post I believe it said the 27th of March, whatever next Monday is.

You can find all of the rules their, or go to the homepage of ATS and click on the Debate forum.

Read through the older debates and understand the format. It runs a tight schedule.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Ok, thanks for your help.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I can't believe that I almost missed this...........allow me to squeeze into one of them last available slots.........por favor......

WyrdeOne isn't going to be defending his title!!! An outrage......I was looking forward to seeing you in the next (this) debate.........but I do like the idea of a mods vs. members classic........

At any rate.....the talent pool looks exciting!

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Never mind, I changed my mind, I can't do the debate forum, as I don't think I will be here.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join