It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First 2006 Debate Tournament

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The First Full Debate Tournament of 2006 will be starting shortly. Amorymeltzer and I will be moderating. We have a laissez-faire approach, we will be doing little more than opening and closing the threads and coordinating activities.

We need 16 debators, if you want to participate, please state so in this thread.

After we have received 16 offers in this thread, we will still be accepting one or two few people as backups.

This is very important:

In the past, we've had a lot of people drop out of the debates because they didn't realize how much time it would involve, or they have been booted from the debates for continued failure to respond in the 24 hour time period. In fact, a person can be booted for a single late response. If you do not feel that you can participate to that extent, then please, do not volunteer to participate, there will be other oppurtunities to have smaller debate matches throughout the year, you may prefer to participate in one of those.

Be prepared to be involved in the debates on a rough time scale of a little more than two weeks. This can be shorter or quicker, depending in large part on how quickly debators respond to one another and how much time judges require to determine the winner.

The Tournament - Please review before accepting

The tournament will consist of 16 members in three elimination rounds. Each debate will consist of an introduction by both members, three longer cross-examinations, and a closing statement from each. There will be a 24 hour time limit between each post. You do not get to edit your posts after making them. Further specific rules will appy, this will be worked out in the lead up to the tourny.

If we get 16 entrants soon enough, then we will start the debates on Monday, March 27th 2006. There are no breaks expected in the tournament. So be prepared to be involved in the debates on a rough time scale of a little more than two weeks.

Please review the Debate Forum to see example of how debates operate.

Call for Topics

We are also accepting submissions for topics in this thread. If you have a topic that you feel is debate worthy, and hasn't been covered before, please post it here.

Call for Judges

We have a number of slots open for secret tournament Judges. The winner of each debate is decided by these judges. If you want to be a judge, please u2u me and we will consider it. Judges have to be able to make a decision as to who has won the debate within a reasonable amount of time after the closing argument has been made. We have a lot of room for judges, so if you are interested, drop me that u2u.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I have been waiting for awhile for this.

Count me in!

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I don't know if I'm allowed to debate anymore, but I will, if I am.

I love a good debate.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Oh snap wyrde! You're now a mod, thats right! The debates are for members only.

However, there's been a lot of planning for a mod debate, we'll take about that in a different thread!

So:

There are 15 slots remaining

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
How about the Members and Moderators duke it out in the Members vs. Moderators classic?

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
We are not seeing much of a turnout so far. I thought this would catch quickly and have members chomping at the bit.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
oh I am chomping at the bit, count me in plz

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
i been waiting for awhile, i definately wanna do this

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I count 3 for sure.. and possibly a fourth if Jamuhn is in.

chissler, grimreaper797, Zeratul & possibly Jamuhn.

Keep them coming

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'd been waiting awhile for this, so sign the rookie up! I myself like a good debate.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Great news

Keep them coming.

Im excited to become involved in this debate

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Sign me up, This is actually my first post. looks like lots of people have some interesting dialogue to bring to the table, but consider counting me in

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Great!
I have been itching to prove my fighter status once again!

YAY!

Sign me up!

Dan

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
count me in , sounds like it could be fun.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Currently enrolled are:

chissler, grimreaper797, xraided, apothecary85, bigdanprice, truttseeker

10 Spots still available.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm considering taking part in the debates this year... however do we get a choice of topics or do we need to debate whatever topic is handed to us as well as whichever side of the debate is handed to us?

Also, does the winner get a date with the girl who is Nygdan's avatar?

-Ry

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rdube02

I'm considering taking part in the debates this year... however do we get a choice of topics or do we need to debate whatever topic is handed to us as well as whichever side of the debate is handed to us?

Also, does the winner get a date with the girl who is Nygdan's avatar?

-Ry

Topics are dished out randomly to the competitors. One member is selected to argue for, and the other against. Points are being awarded to the winners, and hopefully if she agrees we can take her out for dinner.

We'll await Nygdans response.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm interested....if time permits.

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'll just throw out some subjects to get some ideas out their for topics to pick for this discussion: artificial intelligence, Ecologial Sustainable living is it possible at this point? The "civil war" in iraq, Intelligent design vs evolution(although i think this has been widley covered if im not mistaken), Alternative energy, genetic engineering, and my personal favorite pharmacorps
. Also can anyone tell me how to aquire an avatar. thnx

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Great ideas.

Click my signature and have a look through some of my personal own.

Post a message and I would be happy to help

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join