It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First 2006 Debate Tournament

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
We've allways tried specifically to include other regions and culture-domains. Any suggestions, we're definitly open to topics.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I don't remember any debates on Katrina, was there any?
Sorry if I'm bringing up old topics:

How about a debate topic along the lines of:

(in short word)
1) The feds are to blame
2) They had no right taking their guns.
3) The NRA was right to sue N.O's. mayor
4) Sufficient warning was given
5) Should N.O. be rebuilt?

What about the Dog food thing in Kenya?

Just throwin out some ideas.

Later
Sporty

[edit on 23/3/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Nygdan,
If possible, I would love to toss my hat back into the ring.
I love these debates!

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Zeratul requested that they be taken off the list because of time complications.

Kenshiro, looks like you get the spot!

We can still use other backups, as everyone can see, other matters complicate things here and sometimes people have to withdraw, so we'll keep accepting backups for a while now.

Here is the current list of people that will start the debates Monday the 27th:

1. chissler
  2. kenshiro2012
  3. grimreaper797
  4. xraided
  5. apothecary85
  6. bigdanprice
  7. truttseeker
  8. rdube02
  9. mrjenka
  10. zenlover28
  11. ihatescifi
  12. ConfederacyOfUnity
  13. MemoryShock
  14. Frosty
  15. lucasman
  16. The Vagabond

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
As a contestant I don't feel it's too fair for me to suggest specific topics because on the outside chance that the judges were to assign that topic to me and an opponent it might not look too good, however I would like to make a few very generalized suggestions.

Philosophical topics:
I LOVED the topic "The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword" (Phoenix v Blackjackal, 2nd Tournament Championship of 2004).

I'd love to see more philosophical propositions which have no emperical answer and therefore little authoritative documentation: it forces the debators to be more creative with their approach and their sources, puts almost everything on skill.

Non Pro/Con debates: Sometimes the pro/con format makes it hard to put conspiracy topics into the debates. If the proposition were, for example, "The Annunaki seeded human life on Earth" in a pro-con format, the con has a nice solid advantage. On the other hand, if the topic were
"Did the Annunaki seed life on Earth, or did the Annunaki evolve on Earth and then move to Nibiru before their human cousins were fully evolved" with one debator taking the first proposition and the other taking the second, they're both locked into the conspiracy subject and share an equal burden.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I would have to second Vagabond's suggestions!
I would love to see this type of debate, it makes the participants work that much harder and not rely on second hand information.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Im looking to go 6 rounds of bare knuckle boxing with the first one who steps up!

CMON!!

Hurry up Monday.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Six rounds with me amigo? Hope the 3 Knockdown rule isn't in effect

(just playing. can't wait to see what everyone can do)

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Six rounds with me amigo? Hope the 3 Knockdown rule isn't in effect

(just playing. can't wait to see what everyone can do)

Yeah it should be fun. I have read your previous work, I'm crossing my fingers not to hook you in the first round.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Don't sweat it. I've been knocked out in the first round before.

Actually I'm sweating a real-time debate pretty bad right now. I've gotta go toe to toe with the second-best speaker in my public speaking class for the final- win, automatic A. Lose, can't get better than a B. My 4.0 hangs in the ballance.

It was made to be though. We're the two oldest in the class, both been in the military (He was Navy, I was USMC), both large bald and "George Bush Serious" in our style- but I'm funnier because I'm the one who coined the phrase "George Bush Serious" (which is when you make funny faces and use odd phrasings to liven up a serious speech).

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

George Bush Serious" (which is when you make funny faces and use odd phrasings to liven up a serious speech).

Seven years from now you'll hear that phrase from some guy you don't know......

Yeah, inter-service debates and arguements are always fun and very competitive

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The Annunaki seeded human life on Earth" in a pro-con format, the con has a nice solid advantage

Kano, the original debate moderator and a powerful driving force behind it, has been encouraging Amorymeltzer and I from when we started as debate mods to do some just what you suggest, we are definitly aware of what you are talking about and try to implement it as much as we can. Good point.

Lets keep this thread as the Running Debate Commentary Thread too, BTW.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
lol im going to spread that, george bush serious. "in that heated debate he broke the tension by doing some george bush serious style, so that people could get a laugh." lol man bush must be disgraced.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I'd love to see more philosophical propositions which have no emperical answer and therefore little authoritative documentation: it forces the debators to be more creative with their approach and their sources, puts almost everything on skill.

As would I. With one's like these, it helps to remove the views of the Judge's. Question's on Katrina, Iraq, Terrorism, etc, can run the risk of bias no matter what is said. Also, so many forums, so many questions. I'd love to see more about history, maybe one about the Bible and if it stands up to historical scrutinty? That sort of thing, and really test people who might not know about the subject.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well, time for me to go carbo-load for the big fight tomorrow. Keep your powder dry gents. May the cleverest, nastiest, meanest son of... um I mean may the best fighter win.

Remember: no meat. Lots of pasta and poweraide, then get a good nights sleep.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Well, time for me to go carbo-load for the big fight tomorrow. Keep your powder dry gents. May the cleverest, nastiest, meanest son of... um I mean may the best fighter win.

Remember: no meat. Lots of pasta and poweraide, then get a good nights sleep.

Lots of pasta equals a lot of starch....hhhmmm........I'll take that advice with a grain of salt, Vagabond...

I suggest plenty of tap water.....the fluoride will help your teeth to look extra special.......

I've got my Monster energy drinks and mostly vegatarien diet on reserve now....and I imagine sleep dep at some point will contribute to a lucid arguement.......

Good Luck to all the fighters.........I can't wait to see what you're all capable of........

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Nerves are really getting the best of me. Ive stock piled up on some movies for the night to keep the mind occupied.

Any clue what time everything will be posted tomorrow?

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Nerves are really getting the best of me. Ive stock piled up on some movies for the night to keep the mind occupied.

Any clue what time everything will be posted tomorrow?

Spell Correction Tool Test.... Check
Play chess all day Saturday to exercise brain muscles..... Check
Make sure not to wake up Monday with a hangover..... Oops...

Good luck everyone. And may god have mercy on my opponent. Cuz I won't.

-Ry

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 08:59 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Good luck everyone!

My opening is finished, but I am at work without spell check and everything so when I get home I'll fine tune it and have it posted.

Some great topics, Good job people!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join