It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S wins the battle for control of the internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

A U.N. technology summit opened Wednesday after an 11th-hour agreement that leaves the United States with ultimate oversight of the main computers that direct the Internet's flow of information, commerce and dissent.

A lingering and vocal struggle over the Internet's plumbing and its addressing system has overshadowed the summit's original intent: to address ways to expand communications technologies to poorer parts of the world.

Negotiators from more than 100 countries agreed late Tuesday to leave the United States in charge, through a quasi-independent body called the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN.

That averted a U.S.-EU showdown that threatened to derail the so-called World Summit on the Information Society.

Link

I knew it, like the U.S is ever going to give up it's creation. Maybe if Howard Dean was President...

apc

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Of course! She's OUR baby. Everyone else just draws a lease on the creation of our military might. Besides, as has been repeatedly stated and proven, The Internet, by design, simply will not work if the root nameservers are decentralized. A bunch of whining Euros will never change that.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
I knew it, like the U.S is ever going to give up it's creation. Maybe if Howard Dean was President...

Damn right we aren't going to just give up OUR creation.
Even if this summit said we had to, we wouldn't, nor should we.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
aha i guess america really does want to control everything even a virtual world wide net... well i'm sure some nations will put there lost dream to rest sooner or later

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
The internet was created at CERN on the Franco-Swiss border, an inter-governmental Organization, funded by 20 European Member States.

The www. was invented in 1989 by a British scientist named Tim Berners Lee, "to allow scientists from universities and laboratories in different countries to share the results of their work on a daily basis", and further refined there between 90 and 94.

The U.S. did not invent it.

Get your history right before bolding "our" all over the place.

It's not "our" invention.

public.web.cern.ch...

Just because Al Gore said "I took the initiative in creating the Internet." does not mean it was his invention, or make it his/our creation.

[edit on 11/19/05 by redmage]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
BS.

The internet is the result of DARPA and ARPANET, and research started in the 60's by a MIT researcher by the name of Licklider.

Anyways if it's not "ours" how come everyone else is trying to take it away?

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
the internet is a free flow of data through the whole world it is the worlds not americas,europes or any other country just because the u.s has control of the main flow server does not mean... they can control a wbepage made in europe,india,china where ever

so who cares the u.s.a get a 8 letter word above them so they can say they own it when really they don't no one does it's virtual...

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
So say the U.S went to war with a country could they disable that countrys internet? Is that why other nations want the U.N to have control over it?

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by drex4ever
So say the U.S went to war with a country could they disable that countrys internet?

They could shut it off from the rest of the world.

[edit on 19-11-2005 by Simon666]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Who cares no matter who cnntrols the Root/DNS server's it isnt the internet.

The worst thing that the USA could do to a country internet wise is deny them hostnames and theres plenty of ways round that.

I couldn't care less were the Root servers are and i really don't know who would be better to have them but i'm against the Internet being regulated.

Same old same old is good enough in my eyes for now.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lepracornman
aha i guess america really does want to control everything even a virtual world wide net... well i'm sure some nations will put there lost dream to rest sooner or later

What is it that is NZ that you would like to give to us? I don't care if it is a NZ creation; that is beside the point.

Can I have Zena?

Just for a few weeks, or until she notifies me that I am chauvinistic, hard-headed, narrow-minded and don't think her opinion means anything. Then you can have her back.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
BS.

The internet is the result of DARPA and ARPANET, and research started in the 60's by a MIT researcher by the name of Licklider.

Anyways if it's not "ours" how come everyone else is trying to take it away?

No, He's right it was created at CERN by Tim Berners-Lee. The US just likes to take control of everything! Sir Timothy John "Tim" Berners-Lee

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

BS.

BS to your BS, get your history straight.

While Licklider may have envisioned his "galactic network" in 62, he did not invent it, he just convinced his successors at DARPA, Ivan Sutherland, Bob Taylor, and MIT researcher Lawrence G. Roberts, of the importance of the concept.

Leonard Kleinrock published the first paper on packet switching theory in 61, a major step along the path towards networking, the first theoreticaly feasibile way of computers to communicate rather than using circuits directly.

In 66, Roberts went to DARPA to develop his plan for the "ARPANET" not Licklider

Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf tried to address problems with these foundations with development of tcp/ip protocals to replace ncp.

Which led to BITNET and USENET and with the exception of these, early networks (including ARPANET) were purpose-built; so they were intended for, and largely restricted to, closed communities of scholars and there was little pressure for the individual networks to be compatible and for all practical purposes, they were not.

Then came NSFNET which drove ARPANET to retirement.

Afterwards came RFCs to create a positive feedback loop

With ever increasing commercial applications further standardization was required which led to the www. as many of the people working on the www. did not think of themselves as network researchers or developers.

A coordination organization was formed, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). Initially led from MIT's Laboratory for Computer Science, and CERN, by Tim Berners-Lee (the inventor of the WWW) and Al Vezza.

W3C has taken on the responsibility for evolving the various protocols and standards associated with the Web.

So in conclusion, my fact that Tim Berners-Lee invented the www. holds true.

He took hypertext, to facilitate sharing documents and interactive applications, and connected it to the TCP and DNS ideas which created, and invented, the World Wide Web, you know, the http (HyperText Transfer Protocol) you see before every address in your browser.

Licklider did not create or invent the www. he just had a grand idea based on others theories about early networking.

Personally, I would have given you a C+ if you had at least given credit to Kleinrock, he at least had the idea to make it somewhat feasible or Roberts (one of Licklider's successors) who actually took the plan for ARPANET to DARPA.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The truth is is that it really doesnt matter who invented it-because the usa just kind of won the internet again(or just reaffirmed it).

[edit on 19-11-2005 by Wisdumb]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Personally, I would have given you a C+ if you had at least given credit to Kleinrock, he at least had the idea to make it somewhat feasible or Roberts (one of Licklider's successors) who actually took the plan for ARPANET to DARPA.

Personally, I would have given you a F for plagerism. Next time when you are going to regurgitate some one elses work, provide your sources.

Second of all, when did I ever say Licklider invented the internet? I said:

Clearly the internet was the vision of Licklider, which is all I said. Clearly, it was (D)ARPA and MIT that were the major reasons why we have the internet.

Again, if it isn't "ours", then how come people are trying to take it away from "us"?

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
All your Internet are Belong to US

Ah the good old ARPANET some of our best spent DOD dollars

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

provide your sources.

My mistake, I was up all night and quite tired, but that was not the only source, classroom lectures and memory served as well.

Thanks for providing a link though.

Hopefully you learned something about the history of the web along the search.

Second of all, when did I ever say Licklider invented the internet?

What you said was "BS" to the fact that Tim Berners-Lee invented the www.(which we use, and are technically discussing, today), which was dead wrong.

By your logic, the Wright brothers deserve all credit for the jet engine.

While they may have laid the groundwork in aviation with planes, they did not create or invent the jets we use today.

I admitted my mistake, are you big enough to admit yours?

If it isn't "ours", then how come people are trying to take it away from "us"?

As I find fault in your ideology I can't really answer your question, I don't see the web as "ours" so how can they "take away" something we don't "own" in the first place?

We may be the "stewards" at the moment but that is subject to change.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
LOL, control freaks
Doesnt make a tit of a difference, but i spose thats not the point..

"ITS OURS DAMMIT"

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The internet was not created by any one person or group.

www.boutell.com...

2005-07-27: No one person invented the Internet as we know it today. However, certain major figures contributed major breakthroughs:
Leonard Kleinrock was the first to publish a paper about the idea of packet switching, which is essential to the Internet. He did so in 1961.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
errr yeah... the UN wanted to what with it again? Tax it? do we really want a global tax precedent set? do we really want a decentrallized system primed to be "deregulated" and given over to corporate caretakers (code to you and me as yer about to take it hard where da sun don't shine)... oh and what would be 5 years ten at most from then? loosening of protocol standards thereby creating several hundred national internets all of which due to "deregulation" (remember stinging prostate pain?) will charge a marginal monthly out of area subscription fee for the privilege of access plus UN Ops fund tax at a marginal 1 or two percent.....

Ya following me so far?

Nationalistic bigotry over self preservation.... not just for americans anymore.... Thanks mirth had to steal your ending tagline format jus wouldn't be right without it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join