It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S wins the battle for control of the internet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
The internet was not created by any one person or group.

True, sort of, there are many pioneers but....., Tim Berners-Lee is credited as the inventor of the World Wide Web, www., the "internet" we know and use today.

People don't seem to acknowledge that there have many "internets".

Henry Ford is not credited for the Porche, or more correctly, like I said earlier "the Wright brothers did not invent the jet".

[edit on 11/20/05 by redmage]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Right lets take a truly geopolitical issue and argue about the origins of said technology. I am not in the rabid american nationalist camp by any means however the pot calling the kettle black would be a grievous insult to color tint conscious cookwear everywhere.
For once we have an issue that on the surface looks like america being a big meanie and trying to "prevent" globalism and deny some fictional third world nations internet access by housing DNS servers in their current location rather than allowing them to branch out.... anyone seeing any flaws yet?

K now lets go back to my first comment... the one time someone in the bureaucracy decides not to let us all take it in the back side to their commerce pirate buddies there is international outcry? the outcry is over someone in the rat maze that is the US bureaucracy to to prevent a decentrallization that WILL cost you a noticeable amount of money within ten years of the decision....

But please feel free to mobillize the geeks around the world to protest this travesty... really think before ya buy a straw man issue and get tricked into demanding your own hamstringing.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Sugarlump,

Very valid points.

Agreed, this has gotten way off track and I'm not saying that our (the U.S.) being the stewards is nescessarily the worst thing (the world's net will now be at the whim of the patriot act though
as if it wasn't already) and could have a few benefits.

Just trying to deny a little ignorance when it came to the, as you put it "rabid american nationalist camp" jumping around screaming "MINE! MINE!" like spoiled children.

When "BS" was called on the facts, I felt obligated to uphold the truth.

The www. of today is no more the U.S.'s invention than the modern jet is to the Wright brothers.

Aaaaaanyways, out of my system, game on.

[edit on 11/20/05 by redmage]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join