It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leviathan....He's definetly for real

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheyWatchYouToo
I think Leviathan is just another name for a sea serpent.

a common theory in dragon "belivers" is that they live in the sea... just a thaught.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
if you had never seen a tank before and you lived in the 1st century A.D how would you describe it, bible is refering to large armored vehicle or hovertank pherhaps.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Well, I think...

That Space, as in outer space, was sometimes referred to as the Great Sea, or just the Sea.

Secondly, I don't think the account is a description of a creature, as much as it is strongly visual and symbolic language, that may have further meanings than we can speculate at this time (considering we don't know how words SHOULD be translated).

I mean, how do you reverse translate a word like space rocket into an ancient language? And a further thought, how could we know if they had words for 'space rocket' if we didn't have space rockets ourselves?

So really, translation of high science and astronomy into times of no science and astronomy would give us passages such as these from the Bible, where the author has seemingly just tried to be as descriptive as possible of some elements (like the skin, scales, etc.) and other times, it seems that language was NOT used purely for imaginative description

(breathing fire...)

So what do you breathe? Air?
Ok, so if something breathed fire...
This might not mean exhaling fire like in the movies, it might have to do with, umm, you know, our essence is 'air', so something with an entirely different 'essence' would be 'fire-breathing'.

So maybe its a star, comet, etc?

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Ok everyones sayin biological. What if this was a submarine or spaceship?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
Did anyone else read this and say dinosaur? Because that is what was meant by this, according to several scholars.

misunderstood fossils could explain a lot of dragon mythology

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tassadar
There is a dragon in the Bible, but, supposedl, God killed him (that sucks)...
Here it is...

Job 41
1 "Can you pull in the leviathan [1] with a fishhook
or tie down his tongue with a rope?
2 Can you put a cord through his nose
or pierce his jaw with a hook?
3 Will he keep begging you for mercy?
Will he speak to you with gentle words?
4 Will he make an agreement with you
for you to take him as your slave for life?
5 Can you make a pet of him like a bird
or put him on a leash for your girls?
6 Will traders barter for him?
Will they divide him up among the merchants?
7 Can you fill his hide with harpoons
or his head with fishing spears?
8 If you lay a hand on him,
you will remember the struggle and never do it again!
9 Any hope of subduing him is false;
the mere sight of him is overpowering.
10 No one is fierce enough to rouse him.
Who then is able to stand against me?
11 Who has a claim against me that I must pay?
Everything under heaven belongs to me.

12 "I will not fail to speak of his limbs,
his strength and his graceful form.
13 Who can strip off his outer coat?
Who would approach him with a bridle?
14 Who dares open the doors of his mouth,
ringed about with his fearsome teeth?
15 His back has [2] rows of shields
tightly sealed together;
16 each is so close to the next
that no air can pass between.
17 They are joined fast to one another;
they cling together and cannot be parted.
18 His snorting throws out flashes of light;
his eyes are like the rays of dawn.
19 Firebrands stream from his mouth;
sparks of fire shoot out.
20 Smoke pours from his nostrils
as from a boiling pot over a fire of reeds.
21 His breath sets coals ablaze,
and flames dart from his mouth.
22 Strength resides in his neck;
dismay goes before him.
23 The folds of his flesh are tightly joined;
they are firm and immovable.
24 His chest is hard as rock,
hard as a lower millstone.
25 When he rises up, the mighty are terrified;
they retreat before his thrashing.
26 The sword that reaches him has no effect,
nor does the spear or the dart or the javelin.
27 Iron he treats like straw
and bronze like rotten wood.
28 Arrows do not make him flee;
slingstones are like chaff to him.
29 A club seems to him but a piece of straw;
he laughs at the rattling of the lance.
30 His undersides are jagged potsherds,
leaving a trail in the mud like a threshing sledge.
31 He makes the depths churn like a boiling caldron
and stirs up the sea like a pot of ointment.
32 Behind him he leaves a glistening wake;
one would think the deep had white hair.
33 Nothing on earth is his equal-
a creature without fear.
34 He looks down on all that are haughty;
he is king over all that are proud."

Straight out of the word of the Lord himself..
- Tassadar
I am Leviathan.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Voidmaster
I'm up for this guy being what the Bible says he is. I've read this part of the Bible countless times and pondered what it could be. I had to come to the conclusion that this thing is an unknown species and not just a type of dinosaur. I could be wrong tho' because I was only 7 at the time and didn't have access to any large dino databases. Also the Bible's discription seems to suggest a long neck.

Job 41:22
Strength resides in his neck.

Also it seems to have some sharp ridges on its belly.

Job 41:30
His undersides are jagged potshards leaving a trail in the mud like a threshing sledge.
Anyone know of a sea-faring dino with both those qualities?
I don't think that Leviathan is still around. I wish he was, that way I could go look for the guy. Somehow I think we'd have alot more trading ships going missing.
I'm here.I've got ships.

posted on Jan, 31 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMANNAMEDQUEST

As you I was amazed more do not explore the fact these descriptions really sound like the USO descriptions? Everyone discusses UFOs but there are many USO stories that correlate with many mythologies. Even here in the great lakes by Michigan there are many sightings and native American mythologies that speak of fire breathing beasts that could fly and spears were useless.

I cannot fathom any actual living beast being able to breathe fire. The whole description given sounds like a child trying to describe what he has seen based on his limited vocabulary.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seeking Nirvana

Noone has disprove him yet

Using a source other than the Bible, I would love for you to prove that he exists.
i have an unknown source with unparalleled access to all knowledge.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Voidmaster

So its just the Bible, eh? I've seen threads where people say they believe in Vampires and Werewolves but the same people are refusing to believe in something less mythical then those two just because its in the Bible. *shakes head* Oh well, I guess thats just the way it is.
vampires and werewolves are real and fear me. Leviathan, king terror, is only feared by friends of fear. Children and angels laugh at me.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

originally posted by: AMANNAMEDQUEST

As you I was amazed more do not explore the fact these descriptions really sound like the USO descriptions? Everyone discusses UFOs but there are many USO stories that correlate with many mythologies. Even here in the great lakes by Michigan there are many sightings and native American mythologies that speak of fire breathing beasts that could fly and spears were useless.

I cannot fathom any actual living beast being able to breathe fire. The whole description given sounds like a child trying to describe what he has seen based on his limited vocabulary.
take that as a lesson on interdemensional communication.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yeah thats a dinosaur. Also, the leviathan was slain and its skin was used to make Adams clothing. Probably an armour type garment.

If you had scales from a reptile that were nearly indestructable you would use them as armour.

The times this thing lived in were far removed from Genesis. The retold story makes no distinction for thw modern reader between creation before and after the flood.

The texts mentioning the leviathan were compiled from older sources IMO. What we get is a character or subject whose back story and supporting information did not make it into the new copies.

Leviathan was the last of surviving dinosaurs not captured for temple / cult worship. It was probably wild roaming and someone pretending to be God killed it off to impress early humans.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Klepto

I would say a bigger cousin of a mosasaurus..en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-2-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
Yeah thats a dinosaur. Also, the leviathan was slain and its skin was used to make Adams clothing. Probably an armour type garment.

If you had scales from a reptile that were nearly indestructable you would use them as armour.

The times this thing lived in were far removed from Genesis. The retold story makes no distinction for thw modern reader between creation before and after the flood.

The texts mentioning the leviathan were compiled from older sources IMO. What we get is a character or subject whose back story and supporting information did not make it into the new copies.

Leviathan was the last of surviving dinosaurs not captured for temple / cult worship. It was probably wild roaming and someone pretending to be God killed it off to impress early humans.

[/quote its a little more complicated than that.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Godthief
I am Leviathan.

Get in line.

a reply to: Tassadar

OP, what makes you think what's in the Bible is necessarily real? I mean, Celtic myth books talk about a witch, Badb, who can transform into a crow - that doesn't make it all real.

edit on 4-2-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Tassadar

Zhapan most a familiar wid said Leviatin.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Behemoth means whale in Hebrew, and it was an rock based Pokémon.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Some believe that this vision of Job was a spiritual vision and not a physical journey to see Behemoth and Leviathan. That God was showing Job the wonders of the previous age. The past. God was showing off two of his favorite creations of whom he was very very proud. They were a Brachiosaur/Bronto and a sea creature or semiaquatic creature like a mausosaur or plesiosaur. He spends several paragraphs of the bible enthusiastically describing them. and no the behemoth wasn't a water buffalo, bison, ox or hippo. Tail like a lebanon cedar. Not a little piggy tail like a hippo or bovid.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
Behemoth means whale in Hebrew, and it was an rock based Pokémon.
whales do not go up to mountains. nor graze from treetops.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.

16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.

19 He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.

20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.

21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.

22 The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.

23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.

24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join