It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA orders no picture taking of the dead in New Orleans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
guess they are scared of the impact....

saying 10,000 dead is not the same as seeing 10,000 dead

[edit on 7-9-2005 by RickinVa]

www.mediainfo.com...

[edit on 7-9-2005 by RickinVa]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Do you have a link you can add to your post?

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
But the media has every right to watch and report on how FEMA is handling this. This is not war, this is natural disaster. There are no confidentiality rights being abused. I worry whenever something like this is kept secret.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
FEMA can order the sun to rise in the West for all I care. Anybody listening to those assholes after the # they pulled oughta have their head examined.

FEMA has proven themselves to be inept, wasteful, uncaring, and deceitful. In exchange for this giant BOIL on our collective rump, the taxpayers shell out half a billion bucks a day. Get rid of FEMA, give half that money in cash to the refugees, and spend the other half on infrastructure replacement using local and regional contractors.

Their orders should be tied to bricks and returned to them via 'air' mail. Bastards.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I don't think that fema can hide the fact about the death even if they do not allowed pictures.

I also has lost my respect for FEMA but we have to understand that FEMA now goes under the "Fancy good for nothing" Home Land Security.

I feel so safe in my own country after their show of incompetency, We are protected alright.they are a joke.

Every American is left to its own.

They are pathetic.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Limiting casualties to mere numbers and trying to make sure the casualties have no face for the public is like a crazy old tactic to numb people's response to these numbers.
I'm pritty sure that if Hitler hadn't done the same thing and hadn't made sure his citizens didn't see the thousands and thousands of corpses of Jewish and other people, he might have had a bit more of a hard time to control the public.

The US is using the same tactic on both Iraq and this event. Making sure people only see numbers and no actual faces tied to them.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Everyone knows there are a lot of dead there, plastering a few horrific pictures isn't going to change anything. Plus I'm sure several family members of these dead don't even know they're dead yet and it wouldn't be a good thing for them to find out by seeing their loved one's rotting corpse on national tv.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
There's some truth to what djohnsto77 said. I'd agree with that.

But I also think that with refugees being sequestered (quarantined) in Oklahoma, and now this, that maybe people are trying to hide something? Maybe they're afraid that some sort of disease has been washed up out of the swamp???

I don't know, I'm just wondering why there's all this secrecy, and all the strange moves by FEMA lately

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have the feeling that the government officials are afraid of the major outbreak of diseases I think that is why they are keeping the people together.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Perhaps they are trying to retain some control over showing of dead bodies in photos where a family member who hasn't been contacted yet might see it. Generally it's just sensitivity. Maybe they don't want someone's body to become a political statement to the world either...which is actually just protecting the family's interests.

It's too bad sensitivity and protection came much too late.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There's a time for sensitivity, and there's a time for results.

Concern for sensitivity obviously outweighs concern for human life when firefighters have to attend conferences on sexual harrassment for hours when they could be digging corpses out of the rubble and pulling survivors out of roofs.

I understand the point you guys are making, I will say that. However, FEMA is a disgrace, and their demands hold no water as far as I'm concerned.

There's no mandate that says media outlets have to print every photo sent to them. Photographers should be allowed to do their thing, even if the photos can't be published right away. It's important for the historical record to have visual images.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
With pictures, people could count the dead.

Re: disease. The CDC released a report saying that disease is NOT a danger with hurricanes/floods in civilized nations like the USA. IMO - this claim is scaremongering to rationalize and justify refugee detainment and interment.

"Many officials have warned of infectious diseases from the toxic flood waters in New Orleans in coming weeks, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it did not expect serious outbreaks. ...Decaying bodies create very little risk for major disease outbreaks, and the CDC noted that outbreaks of infectious diseases following hurricanes are rare in developed countries such as the United States. It said foodborne illness such as salmonella poisoning was more likely."

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
The CDC released a report saying that disease is NOT a danger with hurricanes/floods in civilized nations like the USA. IMO - this claim is scaremongering to rationalize and justify refugee detainment and interment.

I suppose I should mention the 1400 doctors Castro offered are very well trained and 60% of them are experts in disease situations. With time spent in Africa and lots of time in South America...their help could be valuable.

Of course FEMA would have to accept the help. They are supposed to note their assets and manage their coodinated efforts. Instead they would rather turn away assets and confuse various efforts.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
WyrdeOne,
I can agree with you to an extent on your sentimates.I do have to note that the media has proven itself to be highly unreliable in it's ability to "hold" photos or news articles when requested / demanded by the goverment, police etc. If they are allowed to take the pictures now, even with their promises of holding them from release until a better time comes around, do you really think the media would hold to their promise? It is much more likely that the photos will be "leaked by accident". Or even more likely, they will print the photos so they can claim exclusive rights as well as the ones who break the news.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Sad that they apply damage control when their image is concerned. I don't think they can be trusted to take pictures of the victims themselves for the sake of identification by family/next of kin/friends. Which will force those who lost or have missing relatives to submit their DNA.

[edit on 7-9-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Sorry,Double Post

[edit on 7-9-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Its too late for that, there are already some pictures on the web.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The importance of this event transcends any concerns about troubling relatives of the dead. In 100 years time, the historians will need proof of the enormity of what happened here.

When the allies liberated the Nazi death camps, were they told they couldn't take pictures because it might upset relatives? We have no right to hide the aftermath of Hurrican Katrina from future generations. Without a complete visual record, we are lying to the future.

-koji K.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think it is absolutely disgraceful to take pictures of the dead or post them anywhere. The meida should be ashamed.
It is total disrespect for the remains of a human being.

Who is to blame for what and when and why and where is going to keep going for a long time. There is NO NEED to use the dead as pawns in this tragedy.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cruella
Its too late for that, there are already some pictures on the web.

Proves my point!
Thank you cruella!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join