It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpyPhones - Is This Legal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
One of the "Ads by Google" showed a link to this site: www.spyphones.biz...

Are these things legal or what? Surely they are an invasion of privacy?

[edit on 3-9-2005 by phixion]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
When you combine the insatiable appetite we have for the latest mobiles here in the UK, with the draconian 'anti-terror' legislation that's about to be passed before parliament...including the use of covert phone-tap recordings as admissable legal evidence, this is something REALLY scary!

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Celldar

A wee bit off-topic, but I thought this relevant to the thread...

observer.guardian.co.uk...
www.newscientist.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I don't understand what's so scary or illegal about this product. Basically, it's a phone that you give to a loved one or a cheating spouse. They assume that it's a normal cell phone. It functions completely like a normal cell phone, sending and receiving calls, and all those other normal features. However, if you want to spy on the person in posession of the phone.. say, listen to where they are and what they're doing, you simply dial a special number and the phone automatically answers without the user ever being able to detect it. That way, you can listen to whatever conversation they're having and if your wife is in the throws of passion with your Pool Boy.

I figure if you're willing to accept a cell phone from the kind of person that would spend a thousand dollars to spy on you, then you deserve what you're getting. I've seen far more scarier spy products out there than this phone. The bottom line is that this phone won't effect you or me unless we're stupid enough to accept it as a gift or associate inappropriately with someone else who would. That's just my thoughts on the subject...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Rasputin,

The thought i had in mind was that there is now the technology in place for cell-phones to be manufactured with this in-built functionality that allows the state to use this as a covert means of monitoring 'suspects', regardless of whether you are considered to be in the act, or making preparations, to commit a crime or not..

The current security and anti-terrorism bill being proposed in UK parliament makes even stating that you are sympathetic to a particular 'radical' or 'outlawed' ideology a potential crime in itself..

When you go to buy a new mobile phone here in the uk, whether pre-pay or contract, the company supplying you with the phone and SIM network access has a legal obligation to provide your personal details along with the encryption key (in this case, the unique phone number that allows covert surveillance) to state agencies..much like the current legislation that demands that if an individual or organisation refuses to provide a copy of the (encryption) key, when asked for by an authorized body, in relation to data-storage or computer-file transmittion, you can be imprisoned and/or fined.

It's not so much a case of giving one of these phones as a gift as part of a personal ulterior motive...it's the case that the new generation of phones on-sale here in the UK will have this in-built 'personal surveillance' facility that can, and more than likely will be misused (under the guise of 'defence of personal and societal safety' of course..)

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but unless you're a terrorist, I see nothing to be afraid of. If the government believes I'm sympathetic to bin Laden and al Qaida, then they can listen to all the conversations of mine that they want. It's not as though they're going to listen in for imformation about an upcoming attack, only to arrest me because they heard my friends and I smoking marijuana from a bong. That's just not the way it works.

As far as I'm concerned, I want my government to investigate those people (including many of the morons on here) who are sympathetic to terrorists and their causes. I want to know whether or not they are just running their mouths or if they're the new white version of Mohammed Atta. To me, the kind of complaint you are making falls right in line with those who complain about being searched too much at the airport. You may feel its an invasion of privacy, but I find comfort in the fact that they're trying to make sure the guy sitting in my aisle doesn't have plastic explosives in his Nike's.

The fact remains that as long as you're not a terrorist, a murderer, or someone who commits other major crimes, then you should have nothing to worry about. And you shouldn't be worrying about the rights of the above-mentioned people, either. Speaking as someone who will never strap an explosive belt on or fly a plane into a building- the government can investigate me all they want. Of course I will be slightly disappointed; only because they will have wasted their time investigating a patriotic American such as myself. But again, I will find comfort in the fact that they are leaving no stone unturned in their search for terrorists and terrorist-sympathisers.

So unless you have 50-gallon drums of jet fuel and tons of fertilizer stacked in your garage, then I wouldn't worry too much about the government's ability to listen in to your phone conversations. I'm sure that after a week of listening to you talk about football scores, UFO's, or whatever your interests may be- they'll move on to another target, and you'll never know the difference.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
It does not matter about spy phones if the goverment or any other organsation wants to find you they can i know a company called azure sells a product wich tracked down and found the location its contacts everything about the people guilty for the barly bombing sorry if it was spelt wrong but think about it they dont need spy phones they already know us and the thing about it answers with out ringing or any other sighn nearly every phone has that its under automatic answer have a look you will be suprised

[edit on 26-10-2005 by ngage]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Yeah I would be more scared with people running around with oki 900s years back as you could pick up an cellular call in the area...

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I just find it strange that we must automatically debunk something new and innovative. Miniature cameras, hearing devices, and the like have been around forever. There are binoculars with a camera feature (for your neighbor, I suppose, while s/he is undressing
). So let's suppress the spying cell phone, because, as we all know, it can be used in the wrong way.
I say, if someone is willing for fork over more than $1,000 to make sure their husband/wife/kid/dog is doing what they say they are doing, let them. And if someone is doing wrong and is subsequentially caught, it was meant to be.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I don't understand what's so scary or illegal about this product. Basically, it's a phone that you give to a loved one or a cheating spouse.

I figure if you're willing to accept a cell phone from the kind of person that would spend a thousand dollars to spy on you, then you deserve what you're getting. I've seen far more scarier spy products out there than this phone. The bottom line is that this phone won't effect you or me unless we're stupid enough to accept it as a gift or associate inappropriately with someone else who would. That's just my thoughts on the subject...

So say your employer decides to swap out your cell phone, you know because your a nice guy and all and this new phone can do so much more. Your immediate and somewhat apathetic opinion neglected to look at things outside of a cheating relationship. Not everything is so black and white.

That said I have no doubt that the technology used here would be old news to those who would really want or need to watch someone. You may sleep well in knowing that the government is taking good care of you but to give up your privacy so easily is appalling, but still your choice.

brill

[edit on 26-10-2005 by brill]

new topics

top topics

join