It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second American cival war looming?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
With the nation's economy having begun to dwindle even before Katrina, people were concerned about economic outlook. Now things are 10x as bad as before. Thousands dead and many being relocated to wherever they can go. Many americans were upset by our government's either incompetence or inability to provide the necessary relief to the victims.

America is addicted to a drug called oil, and with shortages and prices hitting record highs something is bound to break. The cost of purducing oil hasnt changed, only the greed of the oil industry has changed. All this to say nothing of the pointless war in iraq. We didnt have the national guard here when we needed them because they are currently on a wild goose chase in iraq.

I dont know about anybody else but im concerned we are heading down a destructive path possibly leading to a civil war. What do you all think?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I was thinking the same thing tonight. Though I doubt it will happen

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I dunno, its times like this big changes happen, if the problem gets worse there may be an uprising to deal with, plus national guard forces would have to be practically non existant since they are dealing with the aftermath of katrina and iraq. Im concerned that this situation will only grow worse.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
definately could happen, depends on the path we take from here

if it got real bad i would concider joining because sumthing needs to change and this isnt right. things are goin wrong now

katrina was bad, but the shortage on gas and the price is outragous and is potentially causing tension to be high....maybe even turning to violence. this could end in tragedy much worse then katrina if its not dealt with.

p.s. "America is addicted to a drug called oil"-rikimaru lol ima use that

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Someone pointed out in another thread that it's like a cycle. For the last few years there has been handwringing over a "looming civil war". It'll go away, and then something will happen and it pops up again. It's going to take something a lot worse than just a couple of states hit by a hurricane to start something. The economy has gone through a lot worse than it was at before the hurricane without a civil war starting. As far as oil, we went through the gas shortage in the 70s without a civil war starting. The oil pipelines that were shutdown from Katrina are already up and running again, although at limited capacity for now, but at least the oil is flowing again, which will help.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
p.s. "America is addicted to a drug called oil"-rikimaru lol ima use that

Hey thanks,

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
the overall price of gas for alot of people i know is enough for them to want to start fighting. hearing the price range it will never go under again is aggervating and many people will not stand for it should it go on this path. the 70s were a different time. people are more rebellious especially in a society that glorifies it and violence. for america tempers are shorter then back then. times are different, the question is will the people nowendays stand for sumthing that people back then did?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I agree that every few years there is talk about another civil war, but never do i remember so many americans discontent with the way the government is operating.

What really makes you wonder is when they started playing boston teaparty with oil in the missisipi river today, are they trying to cause a shortage? are they(oil companies) wanting to see how far they can push the envelope? really makes you wonder.

Im hoping when sheehan and her group march on sept. 24 they really consider impeaching bush.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
these oil companies are at the heart of the problem, katrina just helped us realize how much they are willing to and have capitalized on the helpless common man in a crisis. sum gas pumps went up almost as soon as the storm hit. that was before they even bought new gas, they were just tryin to make more money off the gas they have before prices actually did go up. face it the government will make no changes....they willl tell u they will do this and that but its all just talk, when have they come through and truely told the oil companies enough is enough? action can only be made through the people as a whole.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I think it will come down to a strugle to survive. Unfortunately you need gas to work and survive. Oil just affects so many things, from the cost of food, whether or not kids go to school, to whether you go to work that day. I think people might not have enough money to buy gas to get to work soon, then if they can't get to work they wont have enough money to buy food (don't forget the price of food might be inflated on top of this issue). When it comes to this point, you will see more problems of gas stealing, food stealing, looting across the states. Then the local police will be forced to stop looters and this will only make people more mad because their police are getting gas still and these people are struggling to survive, it will become an anger issue at this point. Then boom.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
^worst case scenario right there.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   

The oil pipelines that were shutdown from Katrina are already up and running again, although at limited capacity for now, but at least the oil is flowing again, which will help

Its all very well saying the pipelines are open again, but isn't there the slight niggling factor of not having any oil to pump through them?

Those pipelines all come from Gulf rigs, which are missing or have been badly damaged.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Actually there was quite a bit of oil in the refineries already waiting to be pumped. That is the oil that is going through the pipelines now.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I was also thinking along the same lines, and started thinking about titor.

*slaps self on wrist* (Sorry I shouldn't have even brought him up)

I think the chances of a civil war within America right now is very low, something else needs to be triggered before the people get that pee'ed off.

[edit on 3-9-2005 by phixion]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Hey guys...
If you're into blue skying about worst case scenarios, here's a doosy for ya:

Think about it for a moment. The US is in an oil crisis now for sure. They are sustaining non-viable wars in distant places that are putting MAJOR demands on the supply. They can't NOT fight, however. Pulling out at this point would forfeit their claim on the oil supply they were attempting to obtain... and can't continue to function without.

SO! There's a dilemma here. Can't stop fighting, can't keep fighting at such a distance... what to do?

If things keep going they way they are, it makes economic sense for the US to annex Canada.

We have largely undeveloped resources including oil and hydro-electricity. Hell, very large percentage of US homes are light by Canada's power production.

We couldn't hope to put up a serious defense. Yes, I can admit it. The US could probably take Canada over in about 3 days. That's about as long as it takes to DRIVE to most of our populated cities.

That brings up the best point! You don't have to expend all that oil just moving your forces around the world!

Yeah... you see what I mean?

Here's the problem tho. Us 'Nucks are a funny bunch. We're all relaxed and calm and put up with #. Until we're sick of it. Then we have a tenancy to get really mean. We also have a lot of survival and natural recreation enthusiasts. This means that, sooner or later, there would be a lot of blood spilled in icky ways.

Worse, we're well respected globally. A war here would outrage most of the world. Involvement could become a factor. That could lead to escalation. Unchecked, you've got yourself WW3.

Lovely thought, hu?

The interesting thing is that I wrote a story based on that rough outline about 3 years ago. My kick off to cause all this was... a hurricane destroying US offshore oil production.

CRAP, that was long winded.
Sorry. :p

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Heres a thought, lets have another duplicate thread about the same subject despite the fact that there are, count them, 4 threads that bring up the question of a Civil War.

But only in this thread we'll mispell 'Civil'

Jesus...

[edit on 9/3/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
yeah, thanks for pointing out gramatical errors
but please contribute to the conversation.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
In reality a civil war would not be too hard to start at this stage. With all the looding, murders, theft.. etc in New Orleans... tensions will become more high as our Military tries to take control of a disturbing situation. Soon people will pull race into the situation, by saying if this were all white people, help would of arrived sooner (lets not forget this happened in the south) then they will pull in the fact that our government is using force to control a United States city which will bring hatred towards our government by certain groups feeling there heritage, or constitutional rights are being abandoned, rather than focusing on why the military is using force.

just my thoughts.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Race is all but being played as we speak by the black caucus but will wait for the correct time. I knew some crock like this was gonna happen. Ccouldn't be that 80% of the human people there happen to be black in color could it?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Civil war would not be the correct term. It would be a revolution. I do not see the crashing of society as a war against controlling govermental parties. Instead it would be a revolution to overthrow the government and replace it with a different group of representatives. It is a very real possibilty when it is speculated by the news channels talking heads of a potential $10.00 per gallon in the short term for gasoline in certain areas.

When the average American cannot pay their mortgage or rent, cannot pay for food and necessary supplies to live, and cannot afford fuel to get to work, there will be a revolt of survival. It will begin slowly and chaotic. It will build into an organized force bound by survival.

This is a real possibility, in the next few months all will depend on how our American government handles this catastrophie in the Gulf Coast. If the exodus of people that are displaced is not managed effectively, and the dieseses that will be forthcoming controlled, then the kindleing for a great uprising will be in place.

This situation will affect every person in the United States, either in a monitary form or in a real physical form or both. If the diseses start to develop and leech out into the communities that are giving aid, a reaction such a demand for the removal of the people will arise. Compound this with inflated prices and civil unrest and the possibility is extremely high for the population of America to revolt.

Perhaps all this speculation is just a waste of time, and the reality will be everything will be just fine.

We can only hope and pray this is true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join