It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its starting, and the media is still quiet.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
really im only 16 but i researched the 70s crisis....its bull#, the only real shortage is in ur mind, they created it and can cure it whenever they want...they will push u till u hit the breaking point, then once u do it will go down. in 25 year they will do it again to a new generations making tons of money off of it, that is of course if we let history repeat itself once again. that would be disappointing

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quest
I live near Baltimore and work downtown. A rumor was going around this afternoon that there were lines at the pumps, but I figured people were just all getting gas now instead of spread out over a few days and that it was no big deal. I left for home around 5:00pm (eastern US time) and as I headed home past gas station after gas station that was closed.

Out of gas.

The media gave a very good explantation of the situation today it was simply a glitch in the system nothing to worry about. Pipelines simply are not yet running at full capacity.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
One thing is certain, reports commin in from California, New England and Chicago, this "No Shortage" is nation wide. Even if the there is simply a hitch in the get along here, how hard is that going to hitch right on in to that grocery bill and everything else that depends on regular distribution of Petroleum? That includes a looming winter.
Lots of snippets in the news toady about shortages, looks like some accusations of price gouging in the nothern refineries as well.
Air fares to rise after Katrina creates a jet-fuel shortage

Hurricane Katrina ruins 58 oilrigs in Gulf of Mexico

New Orleans a 'ghost town' for 9 months

Analyst: New Jersey could see severe gas shortage

Decatur endures gasoline shortage

State gets squeezed by Gulf gas shortage

Residents seek other ways to get around

Rumors of gas shortage spur rush on stations

Refineries are gouging consumers

Oil prices hover near $70

Hurricane Katrina slashed U.S. oil production by 1.4 million barrels a day

'Out of gas' new sign of the times as shortages hit

Houston-based Marathon said it requested 1.5 million barrels of oil from the nation's 700 million-barrel Strategic Petroleum Reserve to supply its Midwest refineries.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Gas prices seem to be steady around here near Pittsburgh at $3.19 with no runs on gas stations nor are there any closings.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'm noticing that there are still several gas stations with gas, despite the few that were out from the other night.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I have family living in georgia and cali, and I heard gases there is already like 5-6 dollars and probably plus

I live in maryland too, and i believe the gas price went up at least 25cent since like friday, its insane...and yea some of the gas station are out of gas. My sister is a jerk and driving the car like its no tomarrow...i need that gas too....meh...some people just don't learn...

[edit on 4-9-2005 by skyblueff0]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
Gas prices seem to be steady around here near Pittsburgh at $3.19 with no runs on gas stations nor are there any closings.

Gas prices are steady at that price in Saint Louis as well. The population doesn't seem worried about an increase of prices at this time, so maybe our lack of panic has something to do with it, or maybe it's that we have a refinery near us.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I live in the uk and gas prices are at about 8 dollar a gallon for unleaded, quit complaining LOL

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
i live in eastern TX (many NO refugees here) and gas prices are about $2.89 - $2.99 - $3.09, or something close to that. guess TX still has a lot of self produced oil, refineries, etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by magnito_student
Ya never know...this may be the so called catalyst they will use for a martial law type situation. Maybe they figured that another false flag terror attack like 911 would be too obvious.(nuke) I wouldn't dismiss it just yet. If you can get enough people angry enough and uproared over this they will have justification for negating Posse Commitatus and imposing martial law.

Funny you should mention that.
Martial Law

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by l_iam
I live in the uk and gas prices are at about 8 dollar a gallon for unleaded, quit complaining LOL

What is the minimum wage in UK? If you don't have a minimum wage, then the nearest fast food restraunt worker wage?

TPL

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
£4.85 (US$8.53) per hour for 22-year-olds and above (except those within the first six months of their job and receiving accredited training) (£5.05 from October 2005; £5.35 from October 2006)

£4.10 (US$7.21) per hour for 18-to-21-year-olds and those within the first six months of their job and receiving accredited training (£4.25 from October 2005; £4.45 from October 2006)

£3.00 (US$5.27) per hour for under-18s who have finished compulsory education
None for those who have not yet finished complusory education (the age when a person finishes compulsory education is either 15 or 16, depending on where their birthday falls in the school year)

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Im in NW Missouri and paid $2.86 a gal. (it is 2.89 a gal but if you buy gas via walmart gift card then you get .03 per gal off) Went driving around today and there were a ton of trucks filling up the gas stations. So i dont think there is going to be a problem.......yet.

Did they ever figure out how many oil rigs in the gulf were hurt by the storm?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Did they ever figure out how many oil rigs in the gulf were hurt by the storm?

Yeah I forget what the actual number was but it wasn't nearly as bad as was originally feared. I've hear that about 1/3rd has of that has been restored, but CNBC is reporting red tape delays with FEMA not returning calls to authorize the unloading of a tanker full of i think it was Kerosene or Propane or something like that. Lots of it to, it's ironic to cuz the place that needs it is literally a few hundred meters away.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Whooah guys!
Here in the UK, the price was about 9 $ per gallon BEFORE the huuricane!
So keep calm and the price, just like the water will recede.

I think you'll find that the media aren't helping to keep things calm.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Another item that Katrina has effected is the Powdered sugar industry.
Most of the powdered sugar manufacturing plants are / were located in Louisiana. Many of the large food chains and doughnut chains such as Dunkin Doughnuts and Krispy Kreme, brought most of the powdered sugar that was still in stock, leaving the small buisness shops to flounder on their own.
Locally in Tx., You can no longer find powdered sugar in most of the Sam's Clubs and other outlets. This is putting a real hurting on buisnesses such as doughnut shops that need powdered surgar. Many in the DFW area are actually considering having to close their doors by the end of this week.
This also has not been reported whatsoever in the news.

Powdered Sugar Manufacturing Plants

The goverment is also now telling people to expect up to a 71% increase in the natural gas costs this winter. This increase is also (directly) linked to Katrina.
Natural Gas Prices may surge 71%

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
There's some logistics that are worth thinking about here.

The US is the largest oil consumer in the world.
They are also engaged in very oil-costly millitary movements.
The US national oil production doesn't meet their demand.
The trade conditions with the middle east are far from optimal... and the Saudis hold all the cards.
Katrina hit one of the largest US national production centers causing unreported damages (reports of huge loses came in early, but have since vanished).

In short, yes, there could be something to worry about here.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Ours here in Warrensburg, MO (in the northwest) it's about $2.99/gal for unleaded. At least it was about an hour ago.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
2.85 in the St. Louis area and continuing to drop. no wait at stations.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mj13
Ours here in Warrensburg, MO (in the northwest) it's about $2.99/gal for unleaded. At least it was about an hour ago.

Ahh Warrensburg, party central! I am 45 min away from you and they just dropped down to 2.85/gal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join