It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its starting, and the media is still quiet.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Darkelf, what is your gas price? Be interesting to compare to a refining town.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Are you refering to the roman emperor nero who set fire to rome and blamed it on the christians?
I like roman history, I find more akin to caligula wtching torment for his pleasure.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by swintersVT
Darkelf, what is your gas price? Be interesting to compare to a refining town.

Right now, $2.99, $3.09, and $3.19. It's a $0.50 jump from a few days ago.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Rikimaru...waaaay off topic man.
as is this.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Lead/Flouride, Nero/9-11, Republic/Republic, Julius/Kennedy, I suppose one could make alot of comparisons really. People never really change, sadly.
Nothing New under the Sun.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Well, I have yet to see a closed gas station in North Carolina. Doesn't mean there aren't any, but I have been topping off my tank everyday since Tuesday (70 mile round trip to work). I haven't even seen any lines yet.

Folks, panic can screw us up bad if we let it. However, I bet there will still be hoards of NASCAR teams and fans heading toward the races this weekend, burning butloads of gas getting there.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Well, I have yet to see a closed gas station in North Carolina. Doesn't mean there aren't any, but I have been topping off my tank everyday since Tuesday (70 mile round trip to work). I haven't even seen any lines yet.

Folks, panic can screw us up bad if we let it. However, I bet there will still be hoards of NASCAR teams and fans heading toward the races this weekend, burning butloads of gas getting there.

I'm in Asheville and they are drying up left and right out here. The store are open but there are bags over the handles at the pumps. Those that still have gas have lines and prices that would make a Saudi Blush.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Starting to sound like an I-95 corridor issue.....

I saw this on WTOP

It's Only a Rumor: Gas Stations Not Set to Close
Updated: Friday, Sep. 2, 2005 - 5:34 PM

WASHINGTON - WTOP Radio was flooded Friday with phone calls from anxious listeners who had heard rumors that gas stations would be closing on Friday.
"This rumor is completely false," said Katie Le-Han, with the Maryland Governor's office of Homeland Security.

"We have a very strong gas supply in the state. We want everyone to have a great weekend, to be responsible of course, but to enjoy this last weekend of the summer," said Le-Han.

Virginia Governor Mark Warner's office also said there is no truth to the rumors of mass station closings.

Gas stations, on an individual basis, may have to close if they run out of gas, but there is no official plan to have all gas stations in any jurisdiction close at any given time.

Well of course they would close if they run out of gas, and yes I believe you there is no "official plan" (

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
For those in MD. The gas station in the state are not empty....yet. Baltimore city and county are empty. Howard is down to a few station here and there still selling certain grades of gas.

As for this being a scam...i don't care the reason, I can NOT get gas. Be it oil companies or panic, I'm watching people shut down thier stations left and right. If the situation does not change or gets worse, I'll go out tomorrow and GET MORE PICTURES of the closed stations.

My home town in western MD has 3 stations, and my friend is saying 2 of them just closed up with empty tanks.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
So what exactly is causing this? Is it the panic to rush and buy gas or is it the now increasing shortage of flow coming out of the southern ports?

Here in Northern Ohio there hasnt been a mad dash to buy gas. I can see the gas station from my house and there hasnt been anymore flow of cars then normal.. yet they ran out of gas..

This is spooky.. gonna make a trip to my parents house and pick up my old mountain bike.. have a feeling I'll need it. :x

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Here in central Florida, all the newspapers and radio were filled with dire predictions of "no gas for months." People waited in lines for an hour or more and all the stations ran out. But....

Soon enough , the tankers rolled in. Now, plenty of gas (admittedly at $3.34 per gallon) and no lines.

Human nature and the media strike again

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I haven't seen any rush either. In fact, I didn't even know this was a potential problem until I saw this thread. Like I said, I was very skeptical, so I tested it.

My bet is this is literally just happening now in some markets.....tomorrow, this will be all over the media.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
both QS. not only are people panicking and rushing to fill up their shiny new Hummers before its too late, oil production in the south has been shut down, thus making the situation EVEN worse.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Exactly eaglewingz, the whole reason any stations in MD are out of gas is because every one believes rumours and think they should stockpile gas. Watch everythimg will return to normal once all the hype about no gas dies down.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Well, there's no rumor conspiracy to it, people are running out of gas, and the people behind the counter who atcually converse with the distributors are being told week-ish waits for more shipments in my area. If you have gas in Central Florida, consider yourself very fortunate because you are apparently an exception to a growing rule.
The media isn't going to come right out and say Gas Crisis, but when I saw a $7.00 a gallon sign flash by on the news earlier right after my wife came home saying more stations were out than yesterday, the word certainly came to my mind.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
My coworker's husband owns a few stations in essex, MD. She told part of our office (including me) to get a full tank now because BP told her husband (via a letter) that gas deliveries were temporarily suspended. (two missed already)

That being said, it could actually be a BP conspiracy to jack prices... nonetheless. The stations around here are out of fuel... conspiracy or natural supply issues... i don't care, this is bad.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Twitchy would you mind providing a local TV station. I checked out WRAL and their biggest story was a horse that had its tail caught on fire

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Gas shortages are being reported all over actually.. Google is starting to slowly fill up with them:

Gas Shortages

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
"Please keep hands inside the car until the ride stops".
We are on until God knows where this thing is going. People are going to get rich off of us and we just take it. Some of use voted for this but we all must pay. Starting in 2006 lets see to it that we start moving intelligent folks into those cushy seats in that marble lined palace we call US Government. I say this without party bias because for too long we have had fat cats kissing lobbiest butts up there. Let's shift the pardigm.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Between the strategic reserve, emergency reserves from other countries, and resumption of Gulf production, any shortage will be temporary.

from article
Oil prices fell close to $2 a barrel on Friday as Europe and Canada prepared to tap emergency stockpiles to relieve an energy crisis threatening the United States.

As the crisis deepened on Friday, the West's energy watchdog the International Energy Agency announced it members would release two million barrels per day (bpd) of oil over a 30-day period to help ease an oil supply crunch.

Non-U.S. refiners, mainly in Europe, will provide about half the volume, with the remainder coming from oil in U.S.

Some regional pipelines also started pumping supplies around the country and power was restored to a number of plants.

Edit : Can't spel wurth a likk

[edit on 9/2/2005 by eaglewingz]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join