It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its starting, and the media is still quiet.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
Twitchy would you mind providing a local TV station. I checked out WRAL and their biggest story was a horse that had its tail caught on fire

www.wlos.com... is our local abc affiliate.
Today it's all 'Refugees' and 'Remembering', but this was the news Yesterday...

Originally posted by twitchy
I live in Asheville and it's pretty wild here, they are rationing it out now and local officials are publicly asking people to take time off from work or not drive at all. It's pretty wild. Here's some snippets from our local ABC affiliate...

www.wlos.com...
City & County Leaders Address Gas Concerns
Local leaders in Asheville and Buncombe County are asking people to conserve fuel as the area deals with a temporary shortage of gas.
The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina continues to delay the delivery of gas to pumps in Western North Carolina. Leaders are urging people not drive unless they have to until the supply gets back up and running. The city and county is also asking non-essential employees to take sick or comp time over the next few days to cut down on demand. Asheville City and Buncombe County School officials say buses and schools will run as scheduled.

Price At The Pumps
The disaster on the Gulf Coast leads to an uncertain situation at gas pumps here in the mountains.
As we reported, the hurricane affected two major suppliers of fuel in the Southeast and it is having a ripple effect.
Some stations in the mountains ran out of gas last night but many of those got new shipments this morning.
Along with some concerns about supply there are some price increases.
At some stations the cost of a gallon of regular went up 20 cents overnight.
Some stations have regular gasoline priced at or even over $3 a gallon.
Some stations are putting up signs restricting how much gas you can buy.

Mountain Fuel Shortage
Hurricane Katrina has knocked out power to many areas in the Gulf States and that's affecting the two major suppliers of fuel in the Southeast.
That means delays in fuel deliveries to stations here in Western North Carolina. Wednesday morning we found that some gas stations only had premium. And at least one station, is selling gas for more than $3 dollars a gallon. People are urged to cut back on unnecessary trips and to conserve gasoline as much as possible. If the gas problem continues for several days, cities, towns and counties may ask police and firefighters to stay overnight to be sure they can get to work.

It's like nobody official is really talking about it. They make a brief don't panic statement, tell us to conserve, then go back into where ever it is that they go. The eerie sounds of a public official telling you not to panic, as the phone keeps ringing as peope chatter about this station has some, this one ran out. People are calling the stores around here asking if they are going to be able to get groceries out of the warehouses, there are 30 and forty minute lines here at the stations that do have gas.

The local media pretty much stopped mentioning it as of today. I think it is damage control and trying to quell a slowly growing panic, the rush on the pumps here had to have been tremendous as there were people filling up small containers as well. A friend of ours called to say she filled her tank for over 60 bucks, and waited almost an hour.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I live South of Pittsburgh in Pa. My husband is a local truck driver. He has not said anything to me about anyone running out of gas here. He just comments what the gas prices are currently. We will be on a grocery run tomorrow, and I'll comment if notice anything unusual or any closings at the gas stations we pass.

We topped our tank right before Kritina hit, and that usually lasts us about a week. By then either there will be a major gas crisis, or things will start to settle back down. I'm hoping it will settle back down. If the politicians are saying not to panic....hmmm, it just might be the time to start panicing.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
unfortunately here in jersey i think gas stations are startin to go, my dad was gettin gas on the way over here. 3.19 for regular. he says fill it with 25, he gets to about 12 dollars and they told him they just ran dry on regular. he had to go to anothr station to get the rest.

idk i knew the gas was gettin bad but if it doesnt go down soon people might start acting on this, even violently. this is no good

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Was out earlier. Gas prices in Corpus Christie have dropped. The new prices tonight were $2.79/$2.89; $2.89/$2.99 and $2.99/3.09. This is a $0.30/0.20 drop from Wednessday.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Maybe with all of this Titor was right about the Civil war after all....

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I'm honnestly kinda amazed and at the same time disgusted by how the US public is so oil delirious.

There is more public outcry about high oilprices and dry stations then there is about the crap thats going on in the area's hit by the huricane.

Up to now, the reasons for invasions and sanctions have always been covert, with a good pointer at the need for controll over the worlds oil.

People have let themselves become so addicted to oil that they are only a few steps away from supporting open political and military actions against oil producing nations just to still their hunger for oil.

Its like those armed crack addicts roaming around in New Orleans looting and causing mayhem just to get their next fix.

I hope there is still time to keep us from going that far.

[edit on 3/9/05 by thematrix]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
I'm honnestly kinda amazed and at the same time disgusted by how the US public is so oil delirious.

I don't know where or how you live but in my little corner of the world, gas is not a "luxury". The gas stations in my area will be opening in about 5 minutes and if I can't get gas this morning I won't be able to drive to work. If I can't drive to work I won't be getting paid and if I don't get paid I won't be able to feed my family or pay my power bill. When I have no food or electric supply (=water in my case), I will be in the same position as the victims of horrorcane Katrina - without the destruction of course. I've lived through several major horrorcanes and I feel for all the gulf coast residents affected, but it looks like I'm about to become one of them, three states away.

Excuse me, I have to go find out if I can get oil delerious this week.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
We have several stations here that have run out and they don't know when they will be getting more. Those that still have gas did lower their prices some yesterday from what it was on Thursday, but it is definitely getting harder to come by.

Where my mom is, they is none to be had at anyprice and she has no way to get to work until there is more.

Where I work, they have given us the option to put in longer hours to get in our 40 hours so we only have to come in 3 or 4 days to help save on gas. I am just worried about what happens when we are completely dry
I would bike to work, but it is very hard to commute 54 miles each way on bike. I guess it's time to do some cardio work and plan on leaving 9 hours early if I want to make it to work on time
In all seriousness, I really don't know how I will be able to get to work but at least my boss will be in the same boat and can't yell at me
This is assuming we still have a job to go back to when things get better...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
``

1st the whispers
then the rumors grow, what i see is the preparation for setting up
the gasoline rationing system again....
and people will be willing & happy to accept the program.

(or else; maybe the Govt, HomelandSecurity, is deliberately keeping a majority of the gasoline & fuel tankers out of service
-> remember gas tankers were the focus of a far reaching, terrorist attack, in a simeotaneous/multi city campaign

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Maybe with all of this Titor was right about the Civil war after all....

That's what I've been thinking..

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I think i'll convert my dune-buggy into a MAD MAX MOBILE.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
I don't know where or how you live but in my little corner of the world, gas is not a "luxury". The gas stations in my area will be opening in about 5 minutes and if I can't get gas this morning I won't be able to drive to work. If I can't drive to work I won't be getting paid and if I don't get paid I won't be able to feed my family or pay my power bill. When I have no food or electric supply (=water in my case), I will be in the same position as the victims of horrorcane Katrina - without the destruction of course. I've lived through several major horrorcanes and I feel for all the gulf coast residents affected, but it looks like I'm about to become one of them, three states away.

Excuse me, I have to go find out if I can get oil delerious this week.

I have to drive about 100 miles to get from and to work every day too. With a car that I can get down to 6 to 7 liters/100km. I still found it to be way to much and not worth it, your all bitching about 4$ per galon under this rather extreme situation, try paying 1.3€ per liter or about 5.5€ per galon even without oil shortage, thats nearly 7$ per galon.

In Europe they try to make cars safe first, fuel efficient second, and thats what maters. In the US, it seems people are actualy proud their cars only do 25-40 miles per galon while giving crappy HP/l. My Golf VR6 puts out 110HP/l when set to performance and then I can still drive it to do only 10l/100km of fuel consumption.

Now whenever I can, I take the train and my feet to get to work. it only costs me 1.5€ per day with a yearly subscription and I never have to worry about traffic jams when getting to work either.

At work itself I have to drive alot more, but thats all payed by the goverment themselves, as long as they can pay it, I don't mind, but for myself I try to limit using my car, eventhough I love driving it.

That car you drive to work isn't the only way to get there and its by far the least economical way to get to work too.

You don't HAVE to drive an american gas guzler to work.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I don't have a gas guzzler, but unfortunately we do not have trains here to get anyplace, and in order to use public transport I would have to drive 40 miles to get to the nearest place to use it.

Not all of us are whining about the prices, but many of us are wondering how we are going to get around if there is no more fuel. I am glad that the UK has a system in place that you all can use, but we don't have anything even close to that here unless you live in the DC area, which I do not.

That is all.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
thematrix... Belgium is a very different place to the US. I wouldn't drive 100 miles to work in Europe either - I've lived there and there are ALWAYS better options available than driving because the public transport system is so good. I also remember paying around 1.5 euro a liter (actually 1.5 DM about 15 years ago, so it doesn't seem like prices have changed much in Europe.)

Here I live in a small town like many Americans and there is no form of transport unless you provide it yourself. It might seem like we're bitching and moaning about paying prices for gas that's still 30% cheaper than what you pay every day, but do you know what the average wage in the US is? The minimum wage in most states is $5.15 per hour - about the price of a gallon of gas now.

Think about that.. If you have to drive 10 hours a week (+/- 20 galls) just to get to work and back, would you be paying 50% of your income to do it? I doubt it very much.

PS> I got gas after passing 3 closed stations, they were out of the premium blends but still had some regular left. I woiuld pay 50% of my income to buy gas because without it my income is zero. I'm not complaining about the prices, I'm trying to survive.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

I have to drive about 100 miles to get from and to work every day too. With a car that I can get down to 6 to 7 liters/100km. I still found it to be way to much and not worth it, your all bitching about 4$ per galon under this rather extreme situation, try paying 1.3€ per liter or about 5.5€ per galon even without oil shortage, thats nearly 7$ per galon.

In Europe they try to make cars safe first, fuel efficient second, and thats what maters. In the US, it seems people are actualy proud their cars only do 25-40 miles per galon while giving crappy HP/l. My Golf VR6 puts out 110HP/l when set to performance and then I can still drive it to do only 10l/100km of fuel consumption.

Now whenever I can, I take the train and my feet to get to work. it only costs me 1.5€ per day with a yearly subscription and I never have to worry about traffic jams when getting to work either.

At work itself I have to drive alot more, but thats all payed by the goverment themselves, as long as they can pay it, I don't mind, but for myself I try to limit using my car, eventhough I love driving it.

That car you drive to work isn't the only way to get there and its by far the least economical way to get to work too.

You don't HAVE to drive an american gas guzler to work.

I take public transportation, live 10 miles from work, and am looking to buy a 60mpg or better vehicle. I completely agree with you in terms of american being wasteful in general. That being said, THERE IS NO GAS.

You are completely missing the point. If things don't change in the next 5-7 days, food stops moving. This isn't about conservation, its about the functioning of a society. My city is rather european in style with most mass transit, and a large harbor so that effecient boats/ship can be used to move things. But now mass shipping is slowing down even.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
From what I've seen, the official word is that there is no gasoline shortage, just slow movement of fuel for the moment. You have to look at it this way... people, upon hearing that major oil refineries and pipelines in the Gulf have been shutdown, are panicking and starting to top off their tanks to keep their levels high before the prices really start going up. The media has everything to do with this mess because one of the first things they focused on when the hurricane hit was how badly the oil assets down there were or were going to be affected. Then they went on about how much you can expect the gas prices to soar, days before they ever really did. So with so many people buying little amounts of gas in certain areas it adds up, and it takes its toll before the gasoline producers and transport services can shift their assets around to fix the problem.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
september 7, 2005 [911 + 911 days] will dawn at the worst of this "temporary" gasoline shortage. so how would an automotivelly crippled population handle a suitcase nuke going off in a major city, or three such nukes in three cities?

if things heat up in the persian gulf gasoline will be dispensed with an eyedropper at champagne prices.

are you SURE al gore would have been such a bad choice??

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ya never know...this may be the so called catalyst they will use for a martial law type situation. Maybe they figured that another false flag terror attack like 911 would be too obvious.(nuke) I wouldn't dismiss it just yet. If you can get enough people angry enough and uproared over this they will have justification for negating Posse Commitatus and imposing martial law.

Plus, this situation is drawing many out of the woodwork with hateful expressions towards this administration. I cannot tell you how many flipid threat posts I saw on Yahoo this morning.

Hell, Jeb Bush imposed martial law a few days before 9-11-01 and nothing had happened.

This may be the so called Nazi Germany "It will never happen here in America" scenario coming to light

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'm amazed. I'm amazed that so many people on ATS are shocked and amazed at the gas situation. Is everyone on this board too young to rmember the 70's oil crisis? Gas lines, rationing, skyrocketing prices... the same deal. The thing is, the government had 25yrs to do something about it so it wouldn't happen again and didn't.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by victor was right
september 7, 2005 [911 + 911 days] will dawn at the worst of this "temporary" gasoline shortage. so how would an automotivelly crippled population handle a suitcase nuke going off in a major city, or three such nukes in three cities?

It isn't the first time that I see this on ATS. However, 9/11/01 + 911 days is of course 3/11/04, the Madrid train bombings. There are 1457 days between 9/11/01 and 9/7/05, 545 days between Madrid and 9/7/05, and 62 days between London and 9/7/05. None of those numbers are remarkeable, and none fit the 3-11 system.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join