It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

USA owes Canada 5+ Billion Dollars.

page: 1
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Have you been following the on going softwood lumber issue between USA and Canada?

Perhaps you havent heard much about in the states because they dont talk about it? I havnt found many american sources talking about it. Not nearly as much as in Canada.




The United States has responded to Canada's mighty roars in the softwood lumber dispute with a deafening yawn. But as Ottawa makes rumblings about trade retaliation and the prime minister prepares to weigh in, the Americans are holding out the hope of a negotiated settlement.

International Trade Minister Jim Peterson immediately called on Washington to concede defeat and return about $5 billion in countervail and anti-dumping duties collected from Canadian companies.

The U.S. refused, saying the ruling is not the end of the matter because it does not deal with a 2004 decision from the U.S.-based International Trade Commission. That decision supported the American case, although it's believed it and other earlier decisions have all been trumped by the NAFTA conclusion.


Source

Related Articles: (Surprising all Canadian..........)

ottsun.canoe.ca...
www.halifaxlive.com...
www.timminstimes.com...
www.newswire.ca...
ottsun.canoe.ca...
National Post


Oh wait I found one from USA !

USA Source


Perhaps someone needs to step into the states and teach them a lesson in economics? You can debate this all you want.

Admit it, the United States does not play by the rules with these trade issues.

5 billion is no small chunk of change.

Oh and if you want to see the massive list of Canadian Sources on the story, search softwood lumber in google news (url doesnt post right here)

No Canada is not happy. Time to grow some spines and slap the states around a bit.




Sources of anger !

www.theglobeandmail.com...
www.ctv.ca...
www.ctv.ca...
www.theglobeandmail.com...
www.edmontonsun.com...




[edit on 13-8-2005 by Dulcimer]




posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Us Americans are the largest debtor nation on earth and we know it; we just don't care haha.



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

as posted by Dulcimer
No Canada is not happy. Time to grow some spines and slap the states around a bit.


Please do at your convenience.
It might give the Western half of Canada further reason to seek becoming states of the US or to become separate from Eastern Canada.

Btw, did you wish to discuss the issue or simply turn it into a US versus Canada slugfest?






seekerof



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I have been watching it. Canada I believe has yet to lose a decission on a NAFTA trade dispute with the USA. So this really is not different. Except the the loss over time for Canada's lumber industry should not be negotiated but paid with interest, uless that's included too.

Congress say's it's not right without checking out the facts-again, and Canada must go to the tribunal and wait 6 months or more to win.

NAFTA was not Canada's idea.. nothing "went south" until that stupid agreement was signed betweem past PM Mulroney and the late President Reagon.

Persoanlly I believe NAFTA would be better off for Canadians if it were undone.

Dallas



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Amazing we haven't been demonized for complaining about the softwood scandal yet. So far, we've just been ignored.

King Ralph and the other preems of the west are just as keen on getting that 5 billion back as the rest of the country, Seekerof, since a lot of that wood comes from western provinces.

Dallas, I agree that we would be better off without NAFTA.

Baphomet79...thanks for letting us know where your credit rating should stand


Dulcimer...I posted a similar thread on this very subject in 'Other Current Events' and Amuk instantly relegated it to 'Politics'.
Don't be surprised if your post winds up there quickly too.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

postscript: if it doesn't, I'll be sending Amuk a u2u


[edit on 13-8-2005 by masqua]



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Just 5 billion, take it easy...
USA owes China and Japan hundreds of billion us dollars

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Have you been following the on going softwood lumber issue between USA and Canada?

Perhaps you havent heard much about in the states because they dont talk about it? I havnt found many american sources talking about it. Not nearly as much as in Canada.




The United States has responded to Canada's mighty roars in the softwood lumber dispute with a deafening yawn. But as Ottawa makes rumblings about trade retaliation and the prime minister prepares to weigh in, the Americans are holding out the hope of a negotiated settlement.

International Trade Minister Jim Peterson immediately called on Washington to concede defeat and return about $5 billion in countervail and anti-dumping duties collected from Canadian companies.

The U.S. refused, saying the ruling is not the end of the matter because it does not deal with a 2004 decision from the U.S.-based International Trade Commission. That decision supported the American case, although it's believed it and other earlier decisions have all been trumped by the NAFTA conclusion.


Source

Related Articles: (Surprising all Canadian..........)

ottsun.canoe.ca...
www.halifaxlive.com...
www.timminstimes.com...
www.newswire.ca...
ottsun.canoe.ca...
National Post


Oh wait I found one from USA !

USA Source


Perhaps someone needs to step into the states and teach them a lesson in economics? You can debate this all you want.

Admit it, the United States does not play by the rules with these trade issues.

5 billion is no small chunk of change.

Oh and if you want to see the massive list of Canadian Sources on the story, search softwood lumber in google news (url doesnt post right here)

No Canada is not happy. Time to grow some spines and slap the states around a bit.




Sources of anger !

www.theglobeandmail.com...
www.ctv.ca...
www.ctv.ca...
www.theglobeandmail.com...
www.edmontonsun.com...




[edit on 13-8-2005 by Dulcimer]



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well, I suggest the United States either pays or releases themselves from the North Amercian Free Trade Agreement.
Canada can then resume MFN Status to the USA and I will find myself with a much bigger Customs and Excise Analysis Salary.

Else, perhap's Canada should release itself from the agreement.

Dallas



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by google_abcd
Just 5 billion, take it easy...
USA owes China and Japan hundreds of billion us dollars
........................................................................................

#1. Canada is the America's major trading partner
#2. Softwood is only one part of NAFTA (oil and water, for instance?)

This particular fight is going to become the catalyst for upsetting the apple cart. NAFTA needs to be either rethought or done away with entirely.
I'm hoping for the latter.

China and Japan are not part of NAFTA

[edit on 13-8-2005 by masqua]



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   


Else, perhap's Canada should release itself from the agreement.


That's what I'm hoping will happen. I could care less about the money, I just hope this situation leads to the demise of NAFTA as that will penalize the US more then 5 Billion dollars.


[edit on 13-8-2005 by sardion2000]



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Admit it, the United States does not play by the rules with these trade issues.


Or any issues, really. Have you noticed that lately?

This is the first I've heard of the softwood lumber issue. Thanks for bringing it out.

Speak for yourself, Baphomet79. Some of us care a whole lot.



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I was making a joke, obviously it is incorrect to deprive a nation of the fruits of their labor. Despite the fact that average man still receives his pay, someone along the line is short-changed.



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It's about time we dropped out of NAFTA.



It might give the Western half of Canada further reason to seek becoming states of the US or to become separate from Eastern Canada.


Seekerof where do you draw this from? What is this original reason we Western Canadians want to A) Join the US B) Seperate from the rest of Canada? You're sorely mistaken.



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The US trade officials are suggesting that Canada return to the bargaining table. Yup, sure. The US is already abrogating one agreement (NAFTA), so let's just negotiate another one.

C'mon, guys. You lost , plain and simple. Time to stop dragging your heels, be a man, and pay up.



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

as posted by Dulcimer
No Canada is not happy. Time to grow some spines and slap the states around a bit.


Please do at your convenience.
It might give the Western half of Canada further reason to seek becoming states of the US or to become separate from Eastern Canada.

Btw, did you wish to discuss the issue or simply turn it into a US versus Canada slugfest?


seekerof


I live in western Canada. And yes we do get treated like crap from the east.

But do I think we should join the united states? No.

There are plenty of ways we can get this money back. They dont have to agree with us.




Meanwhile, former Liberal cabinet minister Herb Dhaliwal called on Ottawa yesterday to slap a surtax on natural gas exports to the United States, saying it is the only way to force the Americans to refund the $5-billion.


www.theglobeandmail.com...

Lets not forget Canada is your largest provider of oil.

Its time to do something.



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Dulcimer, I lived in the West(BC), albeit before NAFTA, it's not the "East", it's Ontario and Quebec. If you knew what the Maritimes gave up for that treaty, you wouldn't be saying "East". The Maritimes became a "welfare" area because of that bastard treaty.

For the record, I'm a Bluenoser. Trash NAFTA? In a second. We don't need it, never did. Let's keep our resourses, oil, water, fish, timber, ore, grain, PEOPLE, that move south because they can earn more. Let's get our house in order and thrive, we don't need anyone else.

*Predicts an American will either pipe into this thread that they would take us over if we did that or that we need them for defence*




posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
"I live in western Canada. And yes we do get treated like crap from the east."

I'm trying to understand what it is you mean re above? Perhap's I missed a few things through time but Canada's West seeming indication the east treats (B.C.?) like crap??..can you explain..

Dallas



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Fascinating, Canada should be able to spend that 5 billion pretty well, maybe school teachers can earn their proper pay now.



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
*Predicts an American will either pipe into this thread that they would take us over if we did that or that we need them for defense*


We would take you over if we did that and you need us for defense


Just kidding Bro


[edit on 13-8-2005 by Amuk]



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Maybe even look after the hungry and homless in a much more thorough way.

Dallas



posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Maybe even look after the hungry and homless in a much more thorough way.

Dallas


Or maybe bolstering our underfunded troops?


Amuk, that was classic.


[edit on 13-8-2005 by intrepid]



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join