It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When do we get our Liberties back?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GREGNOW
GOTTR, my point is that there is no war against our civil rights anf there are no freedoms being taken away from Americans that are affecting their way of life in a way that matters. You are to amped up like we are at war in our own country or something which will do nothing but get you in jail.

Need I say anything about this comment? Last time I checked we still had freedom of speech? Unless you are implying, Greg, that our freedom of speech is now null and void? Would that not be a HUGE liberty lost if you are correct?

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   

The Gov't. is not going to start making massive attacks or searches in americans homes just because they feel like.

But they can start to search random bags?...then it WILL be houses then it will be big brother. When does it end? Don't tell me it can't happen.....next time you talk to your Muslim friend on the phone...make sure you add in that you're not talking about any terrorist activity because if not....you just might find out and be living in Guantanimo.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

The war on terror started after WE were attacked on 911 and then we went to Afganistan and took out who we need to. [edit on 30-7-2005 by GREGNOW]

Did we? Last I heard Bin Laden was still alive and well? Did I miss a major news report or something? Please enlighten me as to who we "took out" and when and where. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Exactly what liberties are you missing? Those who have been around at least as long as I have, can remember when Americans really did have liberties. Then something happened and suddenly streets that were once safe to walk turned into the valleys of the shadow of death. Homes and automobiles that once were never locked because neighborhoods were safe, were being burglarized or stolen. Schools where the most serious crimes were chewing gum in class and an occasional fist-fight became battlefields and drug bazaars.

On a trip to see my parents recently, we were talking about the rampant crime in our old neighborhood where my grandparents, my parents and I grew up. We're not talking trees rolled in toilet paper or graffiti; we're talking about rolling gun battles up and down the streets.

I said to my father, "You know I used to walk and ride my bike on these street at all hours of the day and night and no one ever thought anything about it, least of all me.

My dad replied, with no small amount of bitterness, "Yeah! It was called freedom!"

Those are the freedoms that I miss. Which freedoms are you talking about?

[edit on 2005/7/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Exactly what liberties are you missing? Those who have been around at least as long as I have, can remember when Americans really did have liberties. Then something happened and suddenly streets that were once safe to walk turned into the valleys of the shadow of death. Homes and automobiles that once were never locked because neighborhoods were safe, were being burglarized or stolen. Schools where the most serious crimes were chewing gum in class and an occasional fist-fight became battlefields and drug bazaars.

On a trip to see my parents recently, we were talking about the rampant crime in our old neighborhood where my grandparents, my parents and I grew up. We're not talking trees rolled in toilet paper or graffiti; we're talking about rolling gun battles up and down the streets.

I said to my father, "You know I used to walk and ride my bike on these street at all hours of the day and night and no one ever thought anything about it, least of all me.

My dad replied, with no small amount of bitterness, "Yeah! It was called freedom!"

Those are the freedoms that I miss. Which freedoms are you talking about?

I want to keep this whole quote mods...if you want to take points...then take them. Grady, you have a great point. I remember days when I didn't need to lock the door to my parent's house either. I remembered a dream I ad recently after reading your post of just having the chilling feeling that my parents door (in rural USA) had been left open and I litterally jumped out of my bed and called them to make sure they were ok. Yes, talk about freedoms lost......sad.

edit: p.s. I haven't been on in a while, but I miss your spong Bob Square Pants boxer pic Grady.

[edit on 31-7-2005 by MacMerdin]

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It's still freedom Grady. The minorities are moving into your neighborhood and their pissed off is all. You can't keep the minorities down just like you can't keep the white population from growing. There is a lesson in your statement. Don't fear what you do not understand.

Beautiful picture MacMerdin. Nothing like being on open water.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by vincere7
Beautiful picture MacMerdin. Nothing like being on open water.

Thanks...it is actually a picture of huricane Elizabeth hours before she hit at Virginia Beach.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   

The minorities are moving into your neighborhood and their pissed off is all. You can't keep the minorities down just like you can't keep the white population from growing. There is a lesson in your statement. Don't fear what you do not understand.

Funny, we noticed that, too, but what's your point? It's okay? My dad can relax and take heart now that his third lawn mower has been stolen? It's just those pesky minorities working off a little steam?

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
You on the boat? Worst storm I have ever been in was Georgian Bay. The Gulf, Atlantic didn't compare. Thought I was a goner. Watched a sailboat capsize hundered yards off the bow.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Nice to commune with some late nighters Grady. Third lawn mower tells you it's time to relocate, if you can't kick some arse,

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
No, wasn't on the boat. My friend's friend was on that liner that took the picture.

To the thread, Grady, I agree. In the last 4 four years I have lived in my neighborhood (supposidly one of the safest) in DC, I have seen (not personally) a guy shot for no money, a woman stabbed umpteenth times (thank God she didn't die) because the guy was so cracked out he didn't know what he was doing, my and a number of cars around my block broken into, and countless more crime. When are we going to take back our streets? Let alone a whole country?

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
People need to remember that Fascist Empires aren't built in a day and a puzzle doesn't reveal it's full picture until all the pieces are in place.

If you poke a bee's hive to get it's honey, expect to get a stung and don't be surprised if they try to defend their nest with their own lives.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Nice to commune with some late nighters Grady. Third lawn mower tells you it's time to relocate, if you can't kick some arse,

That's the plan. We hate to see the property go. My family owned at least a half a dozen properties in that and nearby neighborhoods and they've been slowly sold off because of the advancing horde. Of course, lawnmowers are replaceable, but it's just the lack of security and the lack of proactive policing, that leaves elderly folks at the mercy of drug-crazed savages.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I want to comment on this thread because I believe it cuts right to the heart of what is happening to America. This has nothing to do with partisan politics so let's please ignore that for a moment. I am going to tell you how life has changed for me atleast where I live (Coney Island, Brooklyn NY) after 911.

I was a freshmen in college when 911 happened and it didn't hit me until 3 1/2 yrs later when I returned home with my BA in Political Science. I live right on the beach and my neighborhood is primarily white, jewish with the surrounding areas dominated by minorities. Regardless the feeling these days is mutual across all socio-economic barriers that I have come across. The feeling in the air is different. The world did change on 911. I will now tell you how.

In my 'hood I have begun to notice something that is becoming an increasing worrisome thing for me. The police presence has exploded to about 500% increase in police on the streets. Its not that I have anything against the police and I live roughly 15 seconds away from a police precient so I am used to seeing cops alot. But I have witnessed and photographed with my cell phone a FUJI blimp with the letters NYPD under it. The blimp came first.

Now every evening one of the main activities for me and some of my friends is to relax on the balcony or do stuff outside. But suddenly we hear incredible noises and we look up and there are about half a dozen helicopters patrolling the surrounding areas. They fly incredibly close to the ground and it looks like a scene from a movie where the city is locked down. That's where we are today. Virtual lock down. This does not make me feel safe. It makes me feel like a prisoner and the enemy. Everywhere you look, police are scouting the perimeter for something. I doubt they are looking for terrorists unless you are of the mind that we have become the terrorists which is the sinking feeling I am getting these days.

I see "identity checks" in places that I did not think it was needed. Everyone I know is beginning to have the same doubts. I want to ask you guys if you have noticed increase police blimps, helicopters, anything that has worn out its welcome as "reassuring" and has become "worrisome" because it is beginning to conflict with daily life in our free nation.

You say God bless America, I say God help America

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
That's the plan. We hate to see the property go. My family owned at least a half a dozen properties in that and nearby neighborhoods and they've been slowly sold off because of the advancing horde. Of course, lawnmowers are replaceable, but it's just the lack of security and the lack of proactive policing, that leaves elderly folks at the mercy of drug-crazed savages.

Unfortunately that's the way it is. Footprints on the top of the car every night leads to bullet holes in the window. What a sad eulogy. The wisdom of recognition scarcely removes anguish of what we wish to grasp onto, especially with decades of memories that will not flee from our thoughts.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Hello all..

This thread should be in US Politics @ PTS.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
REBELSAINT, how many times before 911 did everyone complain about police not doing enough in NYC and not having enough presense in NYC? All the time. Just like GRADYPHILLOPS post on here where he says there is a LACK of police presnse and then REBELSAINT says there is to much.
People like you complain that there is to much presense. Again it seems they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
How do you feel "unsafe" because of more police presense, that does not even make sense, unless you have something to hide and are doing something illegal, so what is your point?
The cops are not busting down YOUR door or harrassing YOU or any of the other majority of average citizens in NYC.
What is your point other then you are complaining about nothing?
how is it you feel "unsafe" because there is morte police presense? That does not even make sense.
MACMERIDAN, you clearly did miss what happened in Afganistan then, We took out a load of Taliban there who were under the command of Bin Ladin. Just because we did not take out bin Laden does not mean we did not take out key figures in Afganistan. No other countries were against us retailating for 911 in afganistan. however then we went to Iraq which was wrong and now has us in the bigger mess we are in now.
So i guess you did miss the news on what happened in Afganistan.

A lot of you people on here make no sense. You are complaining that they are searching bags more and it is against your freedom. First off the increased bag searches are only in certain areas ;like NYC subways which clearly makes sense in the times we live in. Instead a bunch of you have the brilliant solution that NOTHING should be done to try and prevent future attacks. You are all crying like you have lost some kind of major freedoms becuase now they search more bags in places like NYC on the subway.
Get real, how many of you have even had your bags searched at all (other then in an airport). Probably none of you.

Stop whining over nothing. If they make new laws that actually do affect your freedom in unjust ways then that is the time to complain. Right now sinple laws like searching more bags in KEY HOTSPOTS were somthing can actually happen is hardly somthing to cry about. They are simply trying to make things more safe for YOU. Actually proabably not for any of you since none of you probably even live anywahere where they are searching your bags anyway.
I can walk around PHILA., go about my business ANYWHERE i want with a backpack and guess what? NOONE is asking to search my bag.
Get real.

So again, what is the solution? to have NO stepped up securty, even in places like NYC's subway, especially after what just happened in London's tube. Have no stepped up security because some of you don't want your bags searched which will probably not even happen to any of you anyway. Yea, that's brilliant.

This whole thread can best be summed up with MAGNITO first post on this thread. He wrote it plain and simple and it's the truth. The rest of you are just crying over nothing and things that are not even affecting you AT ALL in the first place.

[edit on 31-7-2005 by GREGNOW]

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   

but get you in jail.

Over my dead body!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Funny, we noticed that, too, but what's your point? It's okay? My dad can relax and take heart now that his third lawn mower has been stolen? It's just those pesky minorities working off a little steam?

You know it is just a blatent disregard by the government to focus money and effort on the real problems. Maybe if we didnt spend trillions of dollars on useless wars, we could use the money to help the US citizens. The rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer. Our government has driven us to fear everything and everyone, when we should be embracing our fellow man. Trying to help one another out. Will this fix stuff getting stolen, murder, or other serious crimes, maybe. But in turn will increased police stop a man from taking your lawnmower if he really wants it, maybe. No society is perfect and since the beginning of time you have had your bad apples, you always will, all I am saying is that maybe if we would have focused more attention on our own country throughout history then maybe it wouldnt be so bad in your neighborhood.

Love your fellow people.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
heres a liberty i lost because of hillary clinton

i dont have the liberty to go buy GTA san andres anymore
and im 24yr old!

its BS!
hillary is a nazi!!!

she took my game away!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>