It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who else gets sleep paralysis?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I've been getting bouts of sleep para since I was a kid. Is it aliens visiting me? Doesnt matter how often it's happened, it always feels like there is an evil presence in the room. I've read research that suggests it is to do with the hormone that's released when we sleep that stops the muscles acting out our dreams - kind of like the opposite of sleep walking. Problem with that theory is that although I'm not fully awake, I'm definately not asleep! Anyone got anyhting to add?

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I have had short bouts of it but never with any feeling of a presence in the room. It is somewhat scary though and it would not surprise me to hear that someone externalized that fear as you describe.

It seems to me to be a period of transition, you are awake but your body does not quite realize it yet.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
true, but the only way I can move is to completely relax, start moving my toes then slowly take it from there. And there is a ringing in my ears. The whole experience can be short and light, or longer - maybe a few minutes - and really strong. I can feel my girlfriend beside me in the bed, but I can't talk. Weird. Even though it's scary, it fascinates me. And it appears to happen completely randomly

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
i have never expieranced that before *sleep para*

nor have i ever slept-walk

ive never had dreams about aliens either...

perhaps i will soon and i just jinx'd myself?
lol

oh but i do talk in my sleep sometimes...
my wife says i talk about Hamburgers actually

she said im always ordering a hamburger w/no onions

its only happened a few times tho

but it was a Good Burger i want another one
***i am actually serious***

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong Muzzle, I love a good burger myself!

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
It has happened to me a couple of times. Last time I was out in the desert prospecting for gold. I was extremely tired and went to bed about 7pm. I had a dream that somebody was pulling me by my feet and tried to wake up. I could not move or cry out. When I did wake up, I was surrounded by range cattle and was lucky they did not step on me, or deposit a cow pie in my face.

Another time I thought I was awake and I was looking at the ceiling. I heard voices talking, but knew that I was alone in the house. I could not move or talk for several minutes, then woke up and every thing was normal.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
groin u caused me to remember something funny

one time i fell asleep on the couch during the day
its right in front of the front door; glass door

i guess i was sleeping with my eyes Open
because
i dreamt of my glass door...
and all these ghost thingys were swirling around it

when i awoke i realized i was dreaming with my eyes open looking at the door

it kinda applies to the subject here....sorta i guess???
i dunno i posted it because i thought it might be relevant ? somehow?
lol

btw off topic some ::: burgers are only good w/ketchup
no mayo goes on cold-cuts
and mustard goes on hotdogs
im sorry america and rest of earth; ur all wrong

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
DarcyD28,

How about the other end, anything odd about the way you go to sleep?

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I've had sleep paralyisis but only once...

And I felt like someone was trying to kill me.. very disturbing, I also felt as thought someones hands were inside my head and squeezing my ear drums. It was a very painful experience. I was stuck like that for 10minutes. Before I could force myself to relax. Nasty.

I always eat something a few hours before bed, and I drink caffein constantly but never gave me any weird effects.

Vorta

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Vorta]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 03:47 AM
link   
why is all sleep paralysis have descriptions of "terror" and "being touched" or "hearing stuff"

whats that all about?anyone have a respectable link that scientifically studies this issue? its really weird stuff

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
As mentioned in this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

my daughter who is 18 and I have had this happen. It first happened to me when I was a tad older than her and I hadn't said anything to her until she mentioned her experiences. She hasn't heard voices like I have, two distant voice talking...there was no one home at the time.... I get it and feel like I am in a vaccuum or vortex and getting sucked out. The first time it happened i was floating and fought to get back to the bed. It scared the panty poos off me.

Its happened at various times over the years, never when i expect it and i am usually alert but unable to move. I sit up afterwards and my skin is ice cold.

Once when it happened my boyfriend who was sleeping next to me tightened his arms around me and said no, stopping me from getting pulled away. I was being pulled towards the loungeroom and i was unable to move a muscle.

He was not awake but yet I heard him say no and he tightened his arms around me at that instant......it was so weird.

The first time it happened was a week before my sister died in a car accident.

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   
that is really weird mayet

if what u say is true; there is alot of implications there

alot of 'meta-science' type stuff

like 'how could ur boyfriend know you were expierancing that even tho he was asleep'
'how could he have known when it was your mind'

this points to some sort of odd psychic occurance
i have NO clue what it means ...
good post mayet
sorry i have no clue for an explanation
i cant even think up a wild crazy explanation either
thats just WEIRD stuff!

maybe it was all a dream? but maybe it was real?
bizzare indeed

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
No not a dream, sometimes I've wished it was. No, I have sat up afterwards when i can move finally, many a time and been so scared. I feel my skin and even on the hottest days or nights, I am ice cold, the skin is almost blue.

I fight it when i can feel it start to happen, I have had friends tell me to relax and go with it to see what happens but something inside, loss of control and fear of the unknown makes me fight it everytime.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarcyD28
I've been getting bouts of sleep para since I was a kid. Is it aliens visiting me? Doesnt matter how often it's happened, it always feels like there is an evil presence in the room. I've read research that suggests it is to do with the hormone that's released when we sleep that stops the muscles acting out our dreams - kind of like the opposite of sleep walking. Problem with that theory is that although I'm not fully awake, I'm definately not asleep! Anyone got anyhting to add?

I have episodes of SP quite regularly and have been doing for the last 4 years - it still freaks me out just as much today as it did the first time.

When I have a really bad one, I feel like some weird shadow being is picking me up and throwing me round the room, but other times I just can't move or speak, and feel like I can't breathe.

Research says you are more prone to suffering SP if you sleep on your back.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
DarcyD28,

How about the other end, anything odd about the way you go to sleep?
A.T
(-)

Hey AT
There is nothing odd about how I go to sleep. It happens when I'm alone or with someone. When I'm really tired or not. Stoned, drunk or dead cold sober. Sometimes it can happen every night for a week then not happen for a few months. Most of the time it will happen only once during the night, but occassionaly more - most is 3 times. I've been tryint to figure out if its got to do with the mood I'm in, stresses in my life at the time, certain foods or whatever, but there seems to be no link to anything.

Edigo, I know what you mean about it still freaking you out as much as first time, I'm exactly the same. Some times the ringing still stays in my ears for a while afterwards, and after a strong one I can be too freaked to go back to sleep straight away! And I consider myself a bit of a tough guy! lol!

I think though that fear is a natural response to not being able to move

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I had it once recently that was the first and so far the last. It was very wierd. I was laying in my bed drifting into sleep when I felt someone was in the room. When I tried to turn and see if someone was there I was paralyzed.
I tried to open my mouth and say something but I could not. The ringing in my head and ears was also weird.. The best way to explain it would be a scene from the matrix. When Neo is about to awaken he touches the mirror and the liquid crawls up his arm, once it reaches his mouth you hear the wierd electronic sound. This is the exact sound I heard, it was pretty amazing. The whole thing only lasted probably 15-20 seconds it was very interesting.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Note: Excuse the spelling..

Yeah.. It happens a common happening, but is not a dream nor hazardous to your health..

THE CAUSE
Excess melatonin in the blood stream. For those who do not know, it is a substance released by the body during sleep which keeps the muscles from moving.. The reason why people sleep walk is due to lack of it in their blood stream.. So once the melatonin levels are low you are able to move.. But when the levels are high you feel like your in a semi-awake state-- frozen.. Well in fact.. You are.. But it is a natural occurence.. Just happens to some more then others..

-Jago

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ive had it occur with me. I would imagine that everyohne has it occur at some point, and it is just a matter of identifying that it happened. If you dont know what a flipperdiggle is and you see it, would you know to call it a flipperdiggle?

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ive had it once and i felt a presence lying next to me but i couldnt turn my head to see..it wasnt threatening though at all. It kept whispering the same thing over and over in my ear but after i snapped out of it i had no idea what lol. This was accompanied by a loud roaring/vibrating sound that ive head is a symptom of being close to astral projection..who knows. I wouldnt worry about it too much unless this presence physically harms you its probably just what the scientists say it is..if it gets to be a problem try seeing a psych doctor or sleep clinic or somthing maybe.

Ive also sleepwalked a few times but mostly when i was little the last time was when i was about 15 though (im 17 now). My step dad was sleeping in the spare room next door to me...my mother in her room and he said he heard me talking to someone in my sleep then i screamed and ran out into the hallway screaming for my mum lol (i was 15 so obviously having some pretty nasty dream) and then i all of a sudden stopped shouting walked back into my room he heard me switch the light off and he came in to see (my mum had not heard me) and he said i look asleep...no idea what i dreamed about though i thought he was kidding the next day.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Funny you mention this Darcy, i've had 1 episode recently, I was indeed laying on my back and I was kinda awakend by a disturbing Alien Abduction dream
I mentioned it on the forum quite recently, I can send a link to anyone interested.

I very occasionally have it, but usually not, it didn't really scare me and I didn't feel a pressence, but it was definitly interesting.

Oh it only took roughly 15 seconds for me to snap out of it

[edit on 27/7/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join