It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Myths About Islam

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I was surfing around on a About.com and found this article: 10 Myths About Islam, so I thought I would post what they said in light of all the Anti-Muslim sentiments going around in the western countries. Well here they are:

1) Muslims worship a moon-god

Some non-Muslims mistakenly believe that Allah is an "Arab god," a "moon god," or some sort of idol. Allah is the proper name of the One True God, in the Arabic language. The most fundamental belief that a Muslim has is that "There is only One God," the Creator, the Sustainer -- known in the Arabic language and by Muslims as Allah. Arabic-speaking Christians use the same word for the Almighty.

2) Muslims don't believe in Jesus

In the Qur'an, stories about the life and teachings of Jesus Christ (called 'Isa in Arabic) are abundant. The Qur'an recalls his miraculous birth, his teachings, and the miracles he performed by God's permission. There is even a chapter of the Qur'an named after his mother, Mary (Miriam in Arabic). However, Muslims believe that Jesus was a fully human prophet and not in any way divine himself.

3) Most Muslims are Arabs

While Islam is often associated with Arabs, they make up only 15% of the world's Muslim population. The country with the largest population of Muslims is Indonesia. Muslims make up 1/5 of the world's population, with large numbers found in Asia (69%), Africa (27%), Europe (3%) and other parts of the world.

4) Islam oppresses women

Most of the ill-treatment that women receive in the Muslim world is based on local culture and traditions, without any basis in the faith of Islam. In fact, practices such as forced marriage, spousal abuse, and restricted movement directly contradict Islamic law governing family behavior and personal freedom.

5) Muslims are violent, terrorist extremists

Terrorism cannot be justified under any valid interpretation of the Islamic faith. The entire Qur'an, taken as a complete text, gives a message of hope, faith, and peace to a faith community of one billion people. The overwhelming message is that peace is to be found through faith in God, and justice among fellow human beings. Muslim leaders and scholars do speak out against terrorism in all its forms, and offer explanations of misinterpreted or twisted teachings.

6) Islam is intolerant of other faiths

Throughout the Qur'an, Muslims are reminded that they are not the only ones who worship God. Jews and Christians are called "People of the Book," meaning people who have received previous revelations from the One Almighty God that we all worship. The Qur'an also commands Muslims to protect from harm not only mosques, but also monasteries, synagogues, and churches -- because "God is worshipped therein."

7) Islam promotes "jihad" to spread Islam by the sword and kill all unbelievers

The word Jihad stems from an Arabic word which means "to strive." Other related words include "effort," "labor," and "fatigue." Essentially Jihad is an effort to practice religion in the face of oppression and persecution. The effort may come in fighting the evil in your own heart, or in standing up to a dictator. Military effort is included as an option, but as a last resort and not "to spread Islam by the sword."

8) The Quran was written by Muhammad and copied from Christian and Jewish sources

The Qur'an was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad over a period of two decades, calling people to worship One Almighty God and to live their lives according to this faith. The Qur'an contains stories of Biblical prophets, because these prophets also preached the message of God. Stories are not merely copied, but the oral traditions are referred to in a way that focuses on the examples and teachings that we can learn from them.

9) Islamic prayer is just a ritualized performance with no heartfelt meaning

Prayer is a time to stand before God and express faith, give thanks for blessings, and seek guidance and forgiveness. During Islamic prayer, one is modest, submissive and respectful to God. By bowing and prostrating ourselves to the ground, we express our utmost humility before the Almighty.

10) The crescent moon is a universal symbol of Islam

The early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad, Islamic caravans and armies flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. The crescent moon and star symbol actually pre-dates Islam by several thousand years, and wasn't affiliated with Islam at all until the Ottoman Empire placed it on their flag.

(taken from here)

Are ya'll in agreement with me when I say that most of these are breed from the propaganda of the west? Comments much appreciated!

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm not a muslim myself, but I've read up on it a little bit, including portions of the Qu'ran, and I have several Muslim friends who I have had interesting discussions with. From what I have learned, I fully agree with the first nine statements. As for the tenth statement, I don't know enough to say whether it is true or false.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
People hate and fear what they don't understand.
Thanks, hatchedcross, for denying hate. I just hope the trolls don't ruin this thread.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
1. Still question to debate. I believe the Moon-god basis in Islam is true and is deeper than Pagan traditions in Christianity.

2. Complete BS or just a misinterpretation. Muslims may believe in Jesus, but not Jesus Christ. That's for damn sure.

3. Never heard of that one.

4. Sure it does. Based on "Local cultures and tradtion"? Based on Islam of course. What a way to cover the truth with the truth. Go ahead and forget that Muhammed thought it apropriate to rape women, beat them with green sticks, and was a known rapist and paedophile himself. Go on, continue...

5. No, the Quran is not violent. Of course not. Which is why Muslim men are blowing themselves up in the name of jihad. Mohamed never said to 'kill the apostates and kafirs' in the Quran. Ever heard of a fatwa? Doesn't exist.

6. Once again, Mohamed said to kill the apostates and kafirs (non-muslims).

7. Jihad is holy war. The fictional terrorist group Crimson Jihad in True Lies was not meant to be called Bloody Fatigue. WTF? It meant Bloody Holy War.

8. Uncertain about this, but their religion did stem from local...Moon-god faiths! As discussed in #1. Plaigarism from the Greeks is evident in the Quran. Syriac Christians passed Greek science to the Arabs, so why limit it to just this?

9. Prayer heartfelt? Well, I do consider obeah heartfelt, so why not give them this one.

10. Look at my sig...

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
are u a muslim ? no of course not . did you read the quran ? no ... back your moon god belief if you could .. u can't ? stop being an anti islamic parrot , how dare you say things about the prophet that are niether mentioned in the quran nor history nor sunnah ... or of course , the zionists love that sort of propaganda , how come i don't see the six pointed star in your signature ? again you never read the quran , and if you did , you're too thick to understand a word . insolence won't be tolerated , so keep the debate logical and with PROOF .

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
You seem to be full of hate Frosty, the same hate that most Americans have. As for my earlier points I suggest you read some more articles on that site.

1) ...Some non-Muslims mistakenly believe that Allah is an "Arab god," a "moon god," or some sort of idol. Allah is the proper name of the One True God, in the Arabic language used by Muslims all over the world. Allah is a name that is neither feminine nor masculine, and it cannot be made plural (unlike god, gods, goddess, etc). Muslims believe that there is nothing in the heavens nor on earth that deserves worship except Allah, the One True Creator....
From here
Other articles on it here

2) ...However, the Qur'an repeatedly reminds us that Adam, the first human being, was born with neither a human mother nor a human father. Therefore, Jesus' miraculous birth affords him no higher standing or presumed partnership with God. When God ordains a matter, He merely says, "Be" and it is so. "The similitude of Jesus before God is as that of Adam. He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be!" And he was" (3:59). In Islam, Jesus is regarded as a human prophet and messenger of God, not part of God Himself.
Article found here
Others found here

4) I suggest you obtain a copy of the Quran and look up and read the versus given here on how Muslim women are supposed to be treated. It is indeed just local cultures that you hear about oppressing them. And here are some more articles/ websites you might look at.

5) I suggest you read this article.

From the Quran: "Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loves not transgressors. And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith. But if they cease, God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevails justice and faith in God; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression" (2:190-193).

Really sounds like they just want to kill everyone doesn't it?

More on it here

6) See above, please.

7) Three articles about it here

...Muslims are commanded in the Qur'an to "enjoin good and forbid evil" (9:112). The word Jihad stems from the Arabic root word J-H-D, which means "strive." Other words derived from this root include "effort," "labor," and "fatigue." Essentially Jihad is an effort to practice religion in the face of oppression and persecution. The effort may come in fighting the evil in your own heart, or in standing up to a dictator. Military effort is included as an option, but as a last resort and not "to spread Islam by the sword" as the stereotype would have you believe...

That was from the first article here

8) Of course the local religions are going to influence it in some ways! Look at all the pagan influence in Christianity! Most of their holidays come from it, but it doesn't mean that it evolved from the pagan religions!

10) As for the crescent moon symbol, a brief history and explination can be found here

So try to deny hate and sterotypes and propaganda people, please.

Just to clarify, I'm not a Musilm, I don't have friends that are, I've never even known one, but I'm sick of all the sterotypes, which I have used before seeing stuff on T.V. or hearing about them.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Thanks, hatchedcross, for denying hate. I just hope the trolls don't ruin this thread.

Naw, people hate that which blows up their wives, husbands, sons and daughters. People hate that which hijacks and kills husbands, wives, sons and daughters.

For decades, they have cried "Allah!" and killed innocent people. Their is no myth to that.
They need to deny their own hate, and stop killing innocent people.

I would also like to assure you that the list is propaganda, and to accept that list is to accept ignorance.
When one considers how many Christians are being exterminated to day in Muslim countries because they refuse to convert, it is clear that they aren't very tolerant of other religions.
When one considers that fact that it is taught that the Jews must be removed from the earth, that they are pigs and subhuman, one doesn't have to think too awefully hard to realize that the list is propaganda for those who do not read words and then compare it to reality.

The "myths" list say the Muslims believe in Jesus. Then it says they believe He was merely human and only a prophet. Do you see how that contradicts itself? In that case, they do not believe in Christ, and they follow the words of a self-acclaimed prophet whose teachings are not in accordance with Christ's. They do not believe in Christ the Savior, therefore, they do not believe in Christ.

I could go on, but what is the point. Propaganda that doesn't seem to fit nicely with reality.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Originally posted by Umbrax

Naw, people hate that which blows up their wives, husbands, sons and daughters. People hate that which hijacks and kills husbands, wives, sons and daughters.

For decades, they have cried "Allah!" and killed innocent people. Their is no myth to that.
They need to deny their own hate, and stop killing innocent people.

When you say "they," I'm assuming you mean Muslims.. but it's *not* Muslims, it's people acting in their name. These people are disavowed by the Muslim community. That's why they're called extremists- because they represent a fringe group at the extreme end of a religion.

Consider it this way- some self-proclaimed Christians kill doctors providing abortions with bombs. Do I, as a Christian, think of these terrorist extremists as fellow Christians? Of course not... and I'm not vocal about it because it goes without saying that these people are not true Christians. I shouldn't have to denounce their acts because the fact speaks for itself.

BTW- I believe in free speech and all, but Frosty, you win the prize for most ignorant, hateful, unproductive logo I've seen on ATS! Good job! You must be very proud.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Crowne, I'm going to have to agree with koji.

These terrorists that claim to Muslims are either extremeists that twist the Quaran around to their cause as much as the terroists that claim to be Christians twist the Bible around.

Or either they aren't a believer but they know they can get some to follow by pretending to be Muslims.

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
When one considers that fact that it is taught that the Jews must be removed from the earth, that they are pigs and subhuman,

Where did you get this tidbit of info? I've never heard of the Muslim population attacking or trying to eradicate Jews. I've only heard of Palestenian terrorists trying to kill them.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
koji, this Christian nation also tracks down and imprisons the extremely few like Rudloph which is a very important point to look at when the two are compared.
The "extremists" are killing alot more than a few in an baby butcher shop. Not only are the numbers great, their methods range from the method called out in their book to somewhat complicated means of multiple detonations.

The point of the matter is, you can talk about thos ehwo hate us and want my family dead being only a small portion of the Islamic world, but when they seem to be the really noisy bunch. And busy. If you are Islamic, you might want to speak up against those guys. You might also want to stop tithing to the religious leaders that are preaching hate and murder. And you might want to erase that little part about it being ok to lie to an Infidel, because it makes it pretty hard for us Infidels to believe it when we're told the Muslims really don't like it when the extremists blow us up. Especially when it isn't the unified voices of the rest of them that tells us that.

The whole dancing in the street thing after 9/11 really made us feel it was a personal thing, too, you have to understand.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sorry for the off topic here, but frosty I find your signature offensive. Binning the symbol of islam , a religion ? Is that allowed here on ATS i mean the other two symbol reprsent forms of government communisim and facisim , which I can live with. Im sure I wouldnt be allowed have a sig binning jesus on the cross, sorry i used this thread to bring this up but it seems relevent.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
So the whole of a people should be judged by the few?

Should Christians be judged by the KKK, by the witch burnings or even burning Jews? Should Christians should be judged by the Barbarity of a few of it's members?
No. That would be bigotry and casting stereotype.

The spread of hate I'm seeing makes me sick.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by hatchedcross
You seem to be full of hate Frosty, the same hate that most Americans have.

What do you mean most Americans. Here you tell us that the terrorist are a minority and not to lump all Muslims together that in fact most Muslims denounce the atrocities that are being committed. Then a response later you lump "most Americans" together as being full of hate just because frosty post a hatful responce.

First of I am an American and have many Muslim friends and do not disrespect the innocence peace loving Muslims.

To me you are just being a hypocrite.

My ancestors came to America from Germany in 1932 because they did not agree with Hitlers views and the way he was treating the Jews.

So 73 years later me being of German decent I guess that makes me a Nazi is that your easement?

You preach tolerance though Hate, way to go.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Where are the cries of outrage from the muslim community when a suicide bomber blows up a bunch of kids who are getting candy from american soldiers? apathy is just as bad as extremeisum.

Where is the outrage of the muslim community during the 9/11 attacks? Where was the outrage of the muslim community when london and madrid mass transit were bombed? The people causing those acts call themselves muslim, yet I never see a muslim cleric publically saying '"Those are not muslims because of these reasons..."

Just like Catholics you have a traditional law in the Muslim religion to follow that is difficult for outsiders to understand and at times overrules the scriptures in which the religion is based. Then when people get upset at the horrid why they act, they pull out thier holy book and say nothing in thier supports the horrid actions

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Where are the cries of outrage from the muslim community when a suicide bomber blows up a bunch of kids who are getting candy from american soldiers? apathy is just as bad as extremeisum.

Where is the outrage of the muslim community during the 9/11 attacks? Where was the outrage of the muslim community when london and madrid mass transit were bombed? The people causing those acts call themselves muslim, yet I never see a muslim cleric publically saying '"Those are not muslims because of these reasons..."

Many Muslims DO profess outrage, you need to look harder if you haven't noticed before:

Leaders Consider Terrorist Fatwa (The Guardian)

Muslim Scholars Slam London Attacks (CNN)

British Muslim Leaders Refuse Martyr Label for Bombers (AFP)

Also, TC, in regards to your statement about things seeming personal:

I am from New York City, I was here during the attacks, I have family who were stuck in the mess and friends who died. I'm not saying this to play some kind of one-upping game (nor could I, as I do not know how you and your loved ones were affected), I am just mentioning that I understand how things seem personal...

But I can understand how, even if it seems repulsive, some people in the Muslim world were dancing. It's because they are uneducated, and/or the "fight" with America was made to seem personal to THEM a long, long time before 9/11... say, when their own families were killed by Israeli, Saudi, or Egyptian operated, American missiles and helicopters. I'm not saying it makes it right, I am not one of these people who feels that "America deserved what it got." This is pure folly. I just think that we have to rise above the circle of violence and understand what causes their hate for us, or joy at seeing us attacked. It's the only way we stand a chance of defeating terror.

This isn't to say terror is somehow caused by America, either. It's a complex situation where every action has its effects, oftentimes impossible to predict and difficult to connect. I agree with you that many Muslims need to stop tithing to the preachers of hate, but these Muslims are a vocal minority. Also, much of their funding comes from wealthy Saudis, a nation of extremist Wahhabis who do not represent mainstream Islam but sadly make up the bulk of Islam's collective wealth.

-koji K.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hatchedcross
You seem to be full of hate Frosty, the same hate that most Americans have. As for my earlier points I suggest you read some more articles on that site.

No, I am full of truth and will now elaborate.

1) ...Some non-Muslims mistakenly believe that Allah is an "Arab god," a "moon god," or some sort of idol. Allah is the proper name of the One True God, in the Arabic language used by Muslims all over the world. Allah is a name that is neither feminine nor masculine, and it cannot be made plural (unlike god, gods, goddess, etc). Muslims believe that there is nothing in the heavens nor on earth that deserves worship except Allah, the One True Creator....
From here
Other articles on it here

I have read the articles, but because Muslims say they do not worship a moon god does not make it true. Religous scholars and archaeologist have found dozens of moon god temples through out the Islamic Holy Land. Hard to believe that the Muslims completly dropped their original faith then joined Mohemad. As said, still open to debate.

2) ...However, the Qur'an repeatedly reminds us that Adam, the first human being, was born with neither a human mother nor a human father. Therefore, Jesus' miraculous birth affords him no higher standing or presumed partnership with God. When God ordains a matter, He merely says, "Be" and it is so. "The similitude of Jesus before God is as that of Adam. He created him from dust, then said to him: "Be!" And he was" (3:59). In Islam, Jesus is regarded as a human prophet and messenger of God, not part of God Himself.
Article found here
Others found here

Yes, that is what I said. They believe in Jesus, but not Jesus Christ.

4) I suggest you obtain a copy of the Quran and look up and read the versus given here on how Muslim women are supposed to be treated. It is indeed just local cultures that you hear about oppressing them. And here are some more articles/ websites you might look at.

I suggest you red this www.apostatesofislam.com...

5) I suggest you read this article.

www.apostatesofislam.com...

6) See above, please.

7) Three articles about it here

...Muslims are commanded in the Qur'an to "enjoin good and forbid evil" (9:112). The word Jihad stems from the Arabic root word J-H-D, which means "strive." Other words derived from this root include "effort," "labor," and "fatigue." Essentially Jihad is an effort to practice religion in the face of oppression and persecution. The effort may come in fighting the evil in your own heart, or in standing up to a dictator. Military effort is included as an option, but as a last resort and not "to spread Islam by the sword" as the stereotype would have you believe...

That was from the first article here

8) Of course the local religions are going to influence it in some ways! Look at all the pagan influence in Christianity! Most of their holidays come from it, but it doesn't mean that it evolved from the pagan religions!

Yarrr matey! So we ye be denying the Moon-god affiliation with Islam?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Frosty, hatchedcross has given you links to specific articles on about.com. Where 20 million people a month visit for information.
You are countering with unspecific links to a anti-Islam forum?

because Muslims say they do not worship a moon god does not make it true.

But everything that Ex-Muslims say on Apostates of Islam is true?

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
You get your information from a site called Apostatesofislam? Isn't that a little biased?
Archaelogists have found dozens of pagan temples in Rome, and in the Europe. Thus, obviously, since majority of people there are Christian, Christianity is based off the Tree-God. Or Zeus. Hard to believe that Christians completely dropped their original religion and joined Christianity. Still open to debate.
That is how ridiculuous your arguement is.

If you are a Christian, why don't you condemn the Christian attacks in Bosnia? Of Paedophile priests? Of the KKK? Why aren't you condemning them 24hrs a day, in every post that you post? Why do you insist that muslims must do that then? Of course the terrorist attacks are evil. Of course muslims condemn them. Why are peaceful (the majority of) muslims solely responsible for the terrorist acts of a few?

Muslims DO believe in Jesus CHRIST, the saviour, etc, etc. They believe he is the Messiah prophecied. They believe he was even divinely blessed by God, able to perform miracles that even Muhammad could not. They do not, however, believe he was the exclusive Son of God.

I am surprised that the list is not common knowledge.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
1. Still question to debate. I believe the Moon-god basis in Islam is true and is deeper than Pagan traditions in Christianity.

Sorry, but original poster is correct. There are only a handfull of sources that say Allah was a moon god, and all of them are Christian. Even this scholarly Christian site ("answering islam"; THE prime site for missionaries to the Muslims) dmits this and cites references:
answering-islam.org.uk...

2. Complete BS or just a misinterpretation. Muslims may believe in Jesus, but not Jesus Christ. That's for damn sure.

Again, no. They believe in him as a great prophet, the equivalent of Moses.

Now... they do NOT believe that Jesus is YHVH.

3. Never heard of that one.

True. Most aren't Arabs.

4. Sure it does. Based on "Local cultures and tradtion"? Based on Islam of course. What a way to cover the truth with the truth.

You need to read up on the roles of women in Islamic countries. Turkey, for example... or the United States. The Philippines... etc... etc... etc.

Go ahead and forget that Muhammed thought it apropriate to rape women, beat them with green sticks, and was a known rapist and paedophile himself. Go on, continue...

Let me point out to you that during the time he lived, Christian men were ALSO marrying girls as young as 9 and taking them to wife. It was the custom of the time. According to Jewish law, in fact, men could marry a girl as young as 3 years and 1 day (yes, I looked this one up.)

You're also apparently not familiar with the Old Testament and the sanctioned incest and treatment of the women of Jabesh-gilead in Judges 21. the YHVH sanctioned sacrifice of Jephthah's daughter in Judges and the sacrifice of human priests on YHVH's altars in Kings...

Now, if you start arguing that sites such as www.evilbible.com... or www.skepticsannotatedbible.com... completely misinterpret the Bible... then you're going to have to admit that the same misinterpretation is going on with Islam and the Koran.

5. No, the Quran is not violent. Of course not. Which is why Muslim men are blowing themselves up in the name of jihad. Mohamed never said to 'kill the apostates and kafirs' in the Quran. Ever heard of a fatwa? Doesn't exist.

And of course Crusades don't exist. Nor forced conversion of non-Christians....

6. Once again, Mohamed said to kill the apostates and kafirs (non-muslims).

I'll leave you to look up the following verses, wherein Israelites and Christians are commanded to kill apostates and nonbelievers. Unless you're using a heavily expunged Bible, these verses will be in there:

Deuteronomy 17:12
Exodus 22:19
2 Chronicles 15:12-13
Deuteronomy 13:13-19
Deuteronomy 13:7-12
Deuteronomy 17:2-5
Leviticus 24:10-16
Romans 1:24-32
Isaiah 14:21
Ezekiel 9:5-7

(etc, etc, etc.) So how do you explain these verses?

7. Jihad is holy war.

Nope. It means "struggle.'

8. Uncertain about this, but their religion did stem from local...Moon-god faiths!

Again, many Christian sites that are devoted to answering Islam agree that this is false.

It's easy to dismiss other religions if you don't examine your own.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
My oh my. Congrats to the author of this thread for trying to dispell some of the myths about Islam at a "right" leaning site. Some points were of course wrong, but I think overall, a good effort none the less.

As a person who has many Muslim family members, and as someone who rejected the faith quite early(before all this terror nonsense) I must say it is refreshing to see someone without the hypocritical, outlook that you find amongst most americans now-a-days.

The only two points I disagree with are the lunar religion issue, and the woman issue. Whilst the koran does not specifically call for the mistreatment of women , it does outline archaic rules of behaviour in regards to women. Do some of these rules curtail problems before they arise? IMHO, yes. Are all of them justified? No. However for the most part, the countries that do have misogynistic laws in the name of islam, HAVE historically always been misogynistic

As for the Lunar religion......Islam is just as much a lunar religion, as Christianity is a solar religion. Of course followers from both sides would never admit it, despite the evidence that points to the contrary, but such behaviour is expected from the faithful, no?

All in all, a good effort to dispell some misconceptions. As stated many peoples understanding of Islam, is biased. I love how the west wants to hold Islam by the standards of centuries old writings, yet when ANYONE attmepts to do this with the west, or Christianity and it's history, it is always dismissed. The standards we are currently holding Islam to, would be the equivalent of holding christianity accountable for all of it's early texts, and the actions of a small minority and their narrow interpretations. Imagine if the whole of Christianity were judged by the nights of the Ku Klux Klan? Would'nt be so good then would it? Well that is what we are getting now when we judge Islam by the actions of a SMALL minority....Hey the west has never stood by it's own standards before , so why should it now?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join