It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Police Evacuate Birmingham Bars, Theaters.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Just in -- Police are evacuating the central area of Birmingham this saturday due to a high threat level. The city centre is now off limits to road traffic and pedestrians are being asked to go home. This is in response to intelligence recieved by West Midlands police.

SkyNews
West Midlands Police have warned the public of intelligence suggesting a possible threat to Birmingham city centre.

No vehicles are being allowed past the inner ring road as a result of the threat.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 9-7-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 10-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 11-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
well, the intelligence is coming from a trusted source...

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Traffic is being turned away from the streets, three streets have been closed off.

ill post more when i have it

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Ambulances are lining up in predetermined positions

Police Helicopters in the air.

Evacuation ongoing

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Abu hafs (second group to claim thursday attack said)

"Blessed is this conquest. The coming days will show a greater expression of jihad (holy war) against those who declared war against Islam and Muslims,"

i think its them showing us, they done it

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Problem is, we're on a "High Alert" all over the Nation. All it'll take is some idiot to phone in and give a "warning" and they would do this with or with-out a real threat.

Really, it's about time large City centres are off limits to anything but work vans and all clubs, pubs have body scanners and trash-cans, etc, are lined so any explosives in them would do sweet F-A when they explode.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
eff that. EFF THAT DUDE.

Seriously, what is going on that people need violence to convey their positions. What happened to civilized filing of grievances. Do something nice like nail a list of protests to the door of the parliament, anything, something, but why kill innocent people. Seriously makes me sick that people are willing to treat lives so light-heartedly.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
MSNBC is running the story as breaking news. It says the entertainment district is being evacuated:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"Police initially restricted road traffic into the city center, but then ordered an evacuation after receiving further intelligence, a police spokeswoman said on condition of anonymity.
She estimated there were nearly 200 bars and clubs in the Broad Street entertainment district."

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
well, the threat is being taken serious because "intelligence" has stated it and i dont think someone has phoned up and hoaxed them.

this might be an attack by the far right too, birmingham is large muslim area

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The attackers are keeping people on their toes, yet i still doubt more attacks will be taking place in the U.K. anytime soon. I hope not too.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is for real, the police wouldn't do this on a whim. I only hope it passes without lose of life.

Why do these people do this, they are not muslim that's for sure. Birmingham has a large Muslim community. So why try to kill people they claim to fighting for

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It could be misinformation leaked by the terror groups...in the days after an attack you can get almost the same effect as a real terror attack by doing nothing, just scaring people with false info.

But of course every threat has to be taken seriously.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
FOX News just said police in Birmingham just conducted controlled explosions....

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
FOX News just said police in Birmingham just conducted controlled explosions....

Yep, its been confirmed....

news conference soon

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
not related to London attacks

thats what is believed. controlled explosions have taken place and people on China street are being moved.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
BBC is saying that Birmingham city center has been evacuated, 20,000 evacuated.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Im hearing 30.000 evacuated,

there still is no confimation yet if any of the controlled explosions are thought to have been bombs,

SKYNEWS LINK

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
not related to London attacks

thats what is believed. controlled explosions have taken place and people on China street are being moved.

I'm not familiar with this terminolgy. Are you indicating that the police found bombs that had been planted and exploded them?

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Benevolent Heretic

My father served with the British Army in Northern Ireland and has dealt with this sort of things. "Controlled explosion" means they have blown something suspicious up, doesn't meant its a bomb

[edit on 9-7-2005 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think they found some suspicious packages and exploded them, but there's no word on whether they actually contained any bombs; they could have been misplaced bags left by a drunk person at a bar or something.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join