It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Police Evacuate Birmingham Bars, Theaters.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
Several of my friends were evacuation from Broad Street last night, they said it was a very well controlled evacuation and the whole of the city centre was blocked off practically straight away.

Any news on what the packages were? Hoax?

none was a threat.

About the intelligence stated times and locations for the attacks. Expect Manchest to get something like this in the next couple of weeks

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
If the bomb was a hoax but they had intelligence that pointed to the place and timing of finding the hoax, this points to a legitimate terrorist attack. The inclusion of death and destruction is not the sole definition of "terrorism", the mere fact that our citizens of Birmingham were scared and evacuated was the act of terrorism. That it wasnt a bomb doesnt change squat.

If we react like this to any suspected bomb, the terrorists will have a field day at our expense. We will be running from our shadows in the near future and all terrorists will have to do is get the super glue out and a wire or two and make something looking like a bomb to get the same effect.

Also its safer for the terrorists. To my knowledge, its not an offence to carry an item that "looks like a bomb". So even if they are caught with an object that only looks like a bomb I dont think they can be charged with a terrorist crime...YET!

[edit on 10/7/05 by subz]

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
nerdling and I have discussed for quite some time the impact that "Israel-type" shotgun, random attacks on the daily places of our mundane lives could cause.

When you look at a localized major attack - such as 9/11 let's say - it can be very much disconnected from your life. It causes an immediate shock, but not a long-term "terror" in continuing on with your life. If you start facing possible maiming and death because you choose to ride the train to work, or go to your local pub or restaurant on Saturday night, or go shopping at the local mall - then you're living in terror.

I'm afraid this might be the beginning of that type of terrorism....all that has to be done is cause the repetitive fear of danger in our daily little lives - they don't actually have to blow something up all that often....just often enough to make a box with a wire sticking out of it make us run like hell and wet ourselves.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify something. The comments above about 9/11 are not directed at anyone that was in the general area or involved in the attack. I meant that from a overall society standpoint. For instance, me sitting 1000 miles away from NYC and Washington D.C., and half the world away from London, I am more terrified of the thought of what happened in London happening over and over, than I am of the though of the possibility of another 9/11 attack. Hope that makes sense.

[edit on 7-10-2005 by Valhall]

[edit on 7-10-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
nerdling and I have discussed for quite some time the impact that "Israel-type" shotgun, random attacks on the daily places of our mundane lives could cause.

Me and the young Nerdling were also talking about the Israel style attack. Especially reports last night tha pubs and clubs were meant to be targets of suicide bombers, which reminded me of Israel.

I have an idea who is behind this, but i shall not post on a public forum, im going to wait to see if i am anywhere near this.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

I have an idea who is behind this, but i shall not post on a public forum, im going to wait to see if i am anywhere near this.

Who do you think is behind this then, apart from the obvious I assume. I would be interested in your thoughts, U2U me if you want.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
You have U2U

I think this will become a regular event now in the UK, on a friday or saturday night, threats will probably be issued to scare citizens into terror.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
One has to only look at who benefits from these types of attacks to see who is most likely to have commited them. And to be quite honest, these attacks DO NOT benefit Islamic terrorists in the slightest.

As an addition to how widespread the fear being generated from the London attacks is, Sellafield nuclear power plant has been on Amber Alert since early Friday morning. This is unreported and I only know as I have relatives who work there. Amber alert means that all non-essential staff are prohibited from entering the plant and are required to stay home.

The Amber alert also extends to BNFL ships in and around my home town. We heard the loud speaker announcements and sirens calling all BNFL staff into meetings and that they were sent home.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

One has to only look at who benefits from these types of attacks to see who is most likely to have commited them. And to be quite honest, these attacks DO NOT benefit Islamic terrorists in the slightest.

Yes there is, there are islamic extremists group is this country(UK) that benifit from these attack. Everyone is in fear of them and thats what they want.

So America has raised its alert? its got nothing to do with us we dont decide or control your governments paranoia level.

How can the UK government benfit from this? not alot reall. We are not introducing authotarain laws, ID cards would not of helped and we have plans to take troops out of Iraq.

Pretty safe to say conspiracies are offically been debunked

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
We don't know what laws they'll bring in yet. Remember it happened on Friday, while the G-8 was happening. Give it a few weeks and we will find out what new laws they'll use to protect us from the terrorists.

If they don't, it was terrorists, if they do - while then we need to begin to question it and their involvement even more.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
We don't know what laws they'll bring in yet. Remember it happened on Friday, while the G-8 was happening. Give it a few weeks and we will find out what new laws they'll use to protect us from the terrorists.

If they don't, it was terrorists, if they do - while then we need to begin to question it and their involvement even more.

Tony Blair has said there is no need to bring in new laws.
We never brought in extreme laws to deal with the IRA and the government has stated this is no different.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Tony Blair has said there is no need to bring in new laws.

Fair enough, must have missed that on the news and on the site.

I am still a bit apprehensive about this, but I'll wait and see if more attacks happen around Europe and if the European Parliament jumps into action on it.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Yes there is, there are islamic extremists group is this country(UK) that benifit from these attack. Everyone is in fear of them and thats what they want.

So America has raised its alert? its got nothing to do with us we dont decide or control your governments paranoia level.

How can the UK government benfit from this? not alot reall. We are not introducing authotarain laws, ID cards would not of helped and we have plans to take troops out of Iraq.

Pretty safe to say conspiracies are offically been debunked

Infinite, im actually British. Sellafield is a British Nuclear power plant. BNFL is "British Nuclear Fuels" and their ships are for transporting radioactive waste from the Sellafield, and other, plants.

The Amber alert has nothing to do with America, you've jumped the gun here im afraid.

Also the fear that Islamic terrorists want is the "means", not the "aim", of their terrorism. Their aim is for the removal of American forces from the Middle East and the removal of support for Israel. Destruction of the West is not a major component of Islamic terrorism, contrary to what we are told by our politicians and reporters.

Any Islamic terrorist attacks on London effectively shoot themselves in the foot as support for Blairs inclusion of British forces in the Iraq war is EXTREMELY unpopular here. These attacks do nothing but strengthen Blair and his involvement in the wider War on Terror. This does not benefit Islamic terrorists causes one single bit. It would generate the same terror that a terrorist wants, but whats the point of that if its contrary, neigh highly counter-productive, to your cause?

[edit on 10/7/05 by subz]

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Tony Blair could have introduced powers under The Civil Contingencies Act, we could of had our rights stripped, but we didnt because Blair said there is no need.

At the end of the day, this is a domestic attack by British Citizens, we fought the IRA and coped, we can beat these guys

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Destruction of the West is not a major component of Islamic terrorism, contrary to what we are told by our politicians and reporters.

Well, the group who i believe is behind the attack wants an Islamic state in the UK. I dont believe it was Al Qaeda who attacked us, there are more signs its UK terrorist not international

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Tony Blair could have introduced powers under The Civil Contingencies Act, we could of had our rights stripped, but we didnt because Blair said there is no need

Like he's some benevolent monarch? I think you view his powers a little more highly than they actually are. See, he has to get any of his ideas through our parliament and then through the House of Lords. He couldnt strip us of our rights even if he demanded it through blue faced hissy fits.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Like he's some benevolent monarch? I think you view his powers a little more highly than they actually are. See, he has to get any of his ideas through our parliament and then through the House of Lords. He couldnt strip us of our rights even if he demanded it through blue faced hissy fits.

According to the Act, it doesnt go through the house of Lords at all. Only vote that takes place is in parilament, once its voted on. Blair can introduce anything he likes without voting on it.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
And the Queen could have as well, through delegated legislation Friday and over the weekend if another attack happened without Parliament (Commons or Lord) getting a say in it.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
That still means he would have to get laws which would remove our civil liberties through parliament. That is our peoples representative and now that he has a severely reduced majority in that chamber, he has even less chance of removing our civil liberties "if he wanted to".

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

That still means he would have to get laws which would remove our civil liberties through parliament. That is our peoples representative and now that he has a severely reduced majority in that chamber, he has even less chance of removing our civil liberties "if he wanted to".

Subz, there is such a thing as an "Order in Council" which can be made while Parliament isn't sitting - such as on a weekend. This would have allowed the Queen and/or Privy Council to pass these laws, without Parliament getting a say so. Tony Blair is a member of the Privy Council.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Oh, I stand corrected.

And there is no recourse parliament can activate to repeal these laws?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join