It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's military closing the gap with U.S. of A.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hold up, hold up, hold up, I know someone didn’t make this mistake!
Our defense budget is 466Billon thank you very much not 400Billion like someone said

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer

Yes, but they have only caught up to stuff that we've, once again, put out long ago. America's FCS program will be kicking in this decade, and by 2020, should be fully implemented. The technology involved here is far ahead of anything I've seen from China.

Not to mention China still needs to make huge improvements to the training and organization of their ground forces.

China has a short time span right now where they look far closer to us then we are, and that's because America is in the middle of making the switch to the next generation, while China is reaching where we were before.

If China were to wage a war within the next five years, I believe they'd have a far better chance of victory against America then they would in 10 or 15 years.

china also has a similar FCS program. it involes better guns and armour. indurance pills.

I think Russian aid has reached its limits. China should be approaching a level where they on par with Russia within the next ten years. China, if it hopes to catch up with America, is going to have to do the rest on their own.

with increased economic development it increases that likeyhood of new military development.

Even with a stronger economy, it does not guarentee military supremacy. America could adapt in its current state. America's debt and such are not caused by military spending, but our massive social programs. Most of this could easily be cut if needed. We could be spending the same amount, or more then China.

If America's threatened, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see us form a super economic block with the rest of North America, which is really only going to evolve and turn it into one single nation.

haven't you been reading the news? how much south-east countries do buiness with china? china does 60% of its buiness with asia not to mention all the free trade pacts china has with many countries of the world.

china with its increased economic power should also focus on a economic block with asia

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Our defense budget is 466Billon thank you very much not 400Billion like someone said

Why does america spend so much on its military? are they planing world conquest?

how much of the worls poor can you feed with 1% of that

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

china also has a similar FCS program. it involes better guns and armour. indurance pills.

Care to provide a link?

with increased economic development it increases that likeyhood of new military development.

And Russia's economy could not possibly keep up with China's.

china with its increased economic power should also focus on a economic block with asia

What does China stand to gain? The rich nations around it are American allies, and dont' like China. Those that aren't are just dirt poor, and many of them still hate China.

China's large enough, and an EU style economic block is highly unlikely to form.

Why does america spend so much on its military? are they planing world conquest?

That's the thing; America's military budget is a smaller part of its GDP then what most nations spend. That includes China, and much of Europe.

This also shows just how much room for growth America's military budget truly has. We stay decades ahead of the rest of the world without trying still. We could easily be spending twice what we currently spend, and it stll wouldn't do us any harm.

[edit on 18-6-2005 by Disturbed Deliverer]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Care to provide a link?

i mean probaly. ill try find some pictures of the chinese gun with a similar concept to the american gun.

And Russia's economy could not possibly keep up with China's.

russia defense spending somewhere around 50billion. russias economy was shiet in the 90s but has jumped back with some inpressive growth under putain

What does China stand to gain? The rich nations around it are American allies, and dont' like China. Those that aren't are just dirt poor, and many of them still hate China.

China's large enough, and an EU style economic block is highly unlikely to form.

yeah there is japan that doesn't like china? any other.. hate china for what

That's the thing; America's military budget is a smaller part of its GDP then what most nations spend. That includes China, and much of Europe.

This also shows just how much room for growth America's military budget truly has. We stay decades ahead of the rest of the world without trying still. We could easily be spending twice what we currently spend, and it stll wouldn't do us any harm.

[edit on 18-6-2005 by Disturbed Deliverer]

offically china spends 2% of its GDP on its military. but acording to cia china spend 67billion. this 67billion includes dual-use technology. that means anything high-tech eg.sonars satillie commnication is inclued...

america needs that money to manitain her forces and keep her forces supplied. how much of that goes towards R&D?

china most probally will skip 4th generation fighters for the majority of her airforce and move straight on to 5th gen.. china just needs enough 4th gen to keep taiwan at bay..

[edit on 19-6-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

I know it was a lot more than 400 billion, so I wrote 400++ billion dollars. Spending that much on a military is just overkill.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   

russia defense spending somewhere around 50billion. russias economy was shiet in the 90s but has jumped back with some inpressive growth under putain

It's only half the size of America. They will never be what they were before.

yeah there is japan that doesn't like china? any other.. hate china for what

How about Vietnam, and Mongolia? OH, India, too.

america needs that money to manitain her forces and keep her forces supplied. how much of that goes towards R&D?

The money just for development is still probably more then the entire Chinese defense budget.

china most probally will skip 4th generation fighters for the majority of her airforce and move straight on to 5th gen.. china just needs enough 4th gen to keep taiwan at bay..

They won't field a reliable fifth generation plane for at least another ten years. That's too much time to not have something that can compete with your rivals. China has mage huge investments in their J-10, and they planned on making some 700 last I heard.

I know it was a lot more than 400 billion, so I wrote 400++ billion dollars. Spending that much on a military is just overkill

If America has the money, why shouldn't it spend it? We already give more aid then the rest of the world, and spend more per person on most social programs.

America's military budget only looks like overkill because no one else can compare to us economically.

[edit on 19-6-2005 by Disturbed Deliverer]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   

It's only half the size of America. They will never be what they were before.

what do you mean they will never be what they were? economic or military

How about Vietnam, and Mongolia? OH, India, too.

vietnam.. hahaha vietnam
64.233.179.104...:YJQcF2IhOtIJ:www.asianscholarship.org/publications/papers/Gu%2520Xiaosong-SinoVietnamese%2520Relations.doc+chines e+vietnamese+relations&hl=en&client=firefox-a

mogolia
: jamestown did a whole article thing on it
www.jamestown.org...

india
:read some papers indian chinese relations haven't been better since 1961

The money just for development is still probably more then the entire Chinese defense budget.

chinas military budget doesn't cover the R&D side. R&D on a domestic airplane can also be used on a chiense fighter program. whatever is researched on the military normaly finds its way into the cillivan market

They won't field a reliable fifth generation plane for at least another ten years. That's too much time to not have something that can compete with your rivals. China has mage huge investments in their J-10, and they planned on making some 700 last I heard.

our only rival is taiwan. and i dont see taiwan in 10 years getting a 5th generation aircraft. 10 years is plenty of time to get a 5th gen aircraft.

china isn't going to build heaps of 4th fighters while other countries are building 5th gen ones. we just need a deterent before a 5th gen comes in service.

the number of j-10s are gogint to be 300

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
english.pravda.ru...

Top Ten Chinese Military Modernization Developments
www.strategycenter.net...

www.strategycenter.net...

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
DOes anybody think that CHina will pass Amrca in technology...?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
DOes anybody think that CHina will pass Amrca in technology...?

Not really, because even if our defense budget does start to get a little smaller. The stuff were investing in is going to reduce the money we have to spend on maintenance, salaries, and fuel. Therefore I think will still have the money to spend on plenty of advanced defense programs. Also If our defense budget stays as big as is right know for the next 20 years, those technologies will be there by then. And will be able to stay way ahead of the chinese in defense tech, also there catching up to us pretty much depends on if Greedy Corporate CEOs keep sending jobs overseas.

[edit on 19-6-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

what do you mean they will never be what they were? economic or military

Both. Without their satellites, they can no longer pose a true threat to anyone. They can not keep up with world powers.

vietnam.. hahaha vietnam
64.233.179.104...:YJQcF2IhOtIJ:www.asianscholarship.org/publications/papers/Gu%2520Xiaosong-SinoVietnamese%2520Relations.doc+chines e+vietnamese+relations&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Yea, and you know the people of Vietnam just forget about being invaded, and having people killed by the Chinese throughout the 80's because a few Chinese politicians came to talk to their politicians...

mogolia
: jamestown did a whole article thing on it
www.jamestown.org...

America and Russia "cooperate" like that.

india
:read some papers indian chinese relations haven't been better since 1961

You seem to confuse the normal talks governments have as some great signs of friendship. Neither can ignore each other, that doesn't mean either likes each other.

chinas military budget doesn't cover the R&D side. R&D on a domestic airplane can also be used on a chiense fighter program. whatever is researched on the military normaly finds its way into the cillivan market

It works that way in every nation...

our only rival is taiwan. and i dont see taiwan in 10 years getting a 5th generation aircraft. 10 years is plenty of time to get a 5th gen aircraft.

No, but America will have fifth generation fighters within 10 years, and any conflict with Taiwan involves America.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
No way that the chinese will reach our capability any time soon. Just look at the surging prices of oil. With the acceleration of the chinese economy, there will also be an acceleration of oil prices. Oil will put the world economies at a halt if resources cannot be secured. Like someone else said before, who ever can secure the last of the worlds oil supplies, will be the clear winner.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So, where might you stand on China and their business relationship with Canada and USA ?

Everything Iv'e seen sells for about half price of our goods, after freight and almost non-existant Customs Tariff charges..

Dallas

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

We already are a giving people, the US gives out more billions in aid to the world each year than the rest of the world combined. IF we added that money to our defense budget we would go over 500Billion.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
all this talk reminds me of the arms race pre-ww1 excitement and growth

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
i personnaly am not scared of china, I hope there is never a war between the Two, But to be honest i dont think China has the military might that the USSR had, and probably never will, USSR had the ability with there navy to strike anywhere they wanted to, at the time of the Cold war USSR had a Bigger Navy then the US did,

I think navy is a very important role in projection of power, Right now i dont think Chinas Navy matches that of US

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The USSR never had the ability to strike where they wanted to. Their navy was not capable of delivering large numbers of troops around the world, nor would their economy be able to support such a thing. Russia never had a navy that could match America's.

Russia was nothing more than an excuse for the military. Russia never could have launched a successful offensive war against a major Western power. Any war of attrition would have been impossible for Russia to win. America probably could have even invaded Russia successfully.

China is far worse then Russia because they have the ability to surpass America economically, which also gives them the ability to pass us militarily.

China is the only the true threat to American power left in this world.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join