It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two facts of Atlantis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cleasterwood
Harte,
INCORRECT! Plato did in fact mention Atlantis in other writings, but it was Laws, not Republic. Structured as a conversation between an Athenian, a Cretan, and Clinias (Spartan)
ATHENIAN: Then what view do you both take on the ancient legends? Is there any truth to them?
CLINIAS: What legends are you talking about?
ATHENIAN: Those which recount recurring destructions of humanity by floods, epidemics, or from a variety of causes, when only a few survivors are left behind.
CLINIAS: Oh, those stories are entirely credible to anyone.
ATHENIAN: Well, then let us discuss one of those mass exterminations, the one that was brought about by the Great Deluge.
HERE PLATO REITERATES HIS INSISTNECE THAT THE ACCOUNT IS TRUE AND MAKES CLEAR REFERENCE TO SOLON.
ATHENIAN: Poets, you singing as they do under divine guidance, are among the inspired to do so, with help of their Graces and Muses, often hit upon true historical fact.
MOTIVATION MENTIONED FIRST IN TIMAEUS AND LATER IN LAWS:
The story continues in a similar vein and discusses the 'dark age' when civilization slipped back into ignorance and chaos following the destruction. Plato also hints that the society was advanced when he wrote of the scientific discoveries lost during destruction. Along with technology, Plato says important minerals were also lost.

Cleasterwood,
Sorry, I've read through you post and can't find it. Can you tell me where in here Atlantis is mentioned?

The Egyptian name for Atlantis was Netero or "Sacred Island".

Where did you get this? It's not turning up in any of my searches. Again, links please

Originally posted by cleasterwood Sea Peoples related to the Victory Temple of West Thebes built by Ramses III mentions that one captive told Ramses that the reason they invaded was because their homeland sank beneath the waves. The inscription reads: "The head of their cities has gone under the waves. The great heat of Sekhmet mingled with their heat, so that their bones burned in the midst of their bodies. The shooting-star was terrible in its pursuit of them... a mighty torch hurling flame from the heavens to search out their sould, to devastate their root. The Kel and the Meshwesh of the sea, they were made as those that exist not. The land of Meshwesh was destroyed all at once."

Cleasterwood means Ramses III's mortuary temple at Medinet Habu.
If anyone is frustrated by the lack of references in Cleasterwood's posts, I'll offer this one for what he's saying here:

The Medinet Habu Tablets clarify some of the events. Some of the Sea Peoples, as prisoners, declare: "Our islands are uprooted and carried away. The might of Nun [ocean] broke forth and fell in great wave on our towns and villages. The head of their cities has gone under the sea; their land is no more" (inscriptions 37, 46, 80, 102 & 109). This is very much like the geologist's descriptions examined earlier for northern Europe. Ramses III declared on the walls of Medinet Habu that "the whole delta of the Nile is flooded by the sea." Later he states, as does the archeological evidence, that there were vast fires in the Near East: "Libya became a desert; a terrible torch hurled flame from heaven to destroy their souls and lay waste their land [as] their bones burn and roast within their limbs [and] the Nile was dried up and the land fell victim to drought" (Tablet 105). Again, like Homer, the fires are said to be the result of a source from outside of the Earth.

Though I don't see what this has to do with Atlantis.

The right answers are in front of us but the 9,000 BCE date is incorrect. IF you use solar years (365 days) you get a figure of 9,000 BCE But in lunar years, which is what the priests of Ancient Egypt used in recording history, you get a much more believable date nearer to the 900 BCE mark for the date of the last cataclysm. Also, important to mention, is that if you substitute aruoras or 'side' for stadia, the dimensions of Atlantis as described by Plato, you get a much more accurate and believable picture of what Atlantis really looked like.

The Egyptian "lunar calendar again Cleasterwood? I already pointed out to you in another thread that the Egyptians never numbered their existence in months. In fact, they rarely used years to determine a particular amount of time passed. Usually they referred to certain years within a particular king or Pharoah's reign. But they never, ever used months in the way you imply here. Here are three sites regarding the Egyptian lunar calendar. one, two, three I've provided these to you before, you continue to choose to ignore the facts in order to facilitate your continued belief in this silly theory.

Lastly, I am very tired of people taking what they want from Plato and ignoring the rest of what he has to say. Regardless of Cleasterwood's above claim, there is absolutely no reference to Atlantis in any ancient texts except for those in two of Plato's dialogues Timaeus and Critias. There is no Egyptian name for Atlantis, and no excuse for cherry-picking the convenient parts of Plato's story and ignoring the inconvenient ones.

Harte

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Gypsywoman, greetings! I would like to comment on your post, if i may.

Now..if you look at the old way the earth was before the plates moved it has what is now the bremuda triangle connecting Florida and the place that would be the Pyrinees mountains.

Actually, if you look at the tectonic plate animation, what is now the Pyrenees never really got close to where the Bermuda Triangle is; the closest the two areas were was about three thousand miles, and that was in the Mesozoic era, about a hundred million years ago.

Atlantis is somewhere in the triangle near Bimini.

What is the evidence for that? Most of the assertions I see about "Atlantis in the Caribbean" discuss large regular stone columns or roads found underwater.

But those are natural formations; they're simply basalt which has cooled and gone through a hexagonal crystalline formation, which is what basalt often does. You can see the same thing at the Devils' Causeway in County Antrim, Ireland, or the Devil's Postpile, in California.

The Basque people if you trace their language connects to no other language on Earth.

True. Lot of paleo-linguists believe that Euskara is what's called a language isolate, one of the few which wasn't overcome by the Indo-european "invasion" around seven thousand years ago.

But it's not the only language isolate by any means. Two extremely common languages are also isolates: Japanese and Korean.

But the Basques just happened to be in a place where trade, migration, and conquest (those things which change language) happened to pass by. Remember, Basque country is blocked by the Pyrenees on one side and the Meditrerranean on the other; the only person I am aware of in historical times who actually went there -- besides Francisco Franco, of course -- was Hannibal, in his invasion of Rome, who fought his way over the Pyrenees.

But he didn't stay to conquer; he just wanted to get through.

[edit on 26-7-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
plato must have been able to see alot, man... hahah

thers like literally 50 atlantis threaeds. and all hovering around the same stuff, being debunked over nad over

please read the stuff and understand its not real.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
First of all, don't start a topic on the 'facts of atlantis' and then go on to state in your first sentence that they are not facts. This though, is a great example of the brain power posessed by those who believe in a make believe kingdom, continent, country, etc.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Paul Richard says:

The following will help to further the hypothesis that Atlantis was destroyed through a nuclear holocaust:...

I suggest you glance through the debate forum, in particular: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
It is to my knowing, that Atlantis is off the coast of Florida.This is where I was told it is located.

[edit on 2-8-2005 by menguard]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Harte,

Just because Atlantis isn't mentioned by the name 'Atlantis', doesn't necessarily mean crap! References are littered throughout the world, although it's called something different.
As far as ancient Eygptian references there are plenty.
THE ATLANTIS ENCYCLOPEDIA by Frank Joseph (Incidentally, this book has a foreword by Brad Steiger, Creator of Atlantis Rising Magazine, who meticulously cross-referenced and verified Joseph's work). Also approved by Martin Gray, founder of sacredsites.com and National Geographic's Principle photographer for The Geography of Religion and Rober R. Hieronimus, PHD, Author and Radio Host, 21st Century Radio.com, America's Secret Destiny):
"Aalu-- Ancient Egyptian for "The Isle of Flame," descriptive of a large, volcanic island in the Distant West. It PHYSICALLY MATCHES PLATO'S ATLANTIS VIRTUALLY DETAIL FOR DETAIL: mountainous, with canals, luxuriant crops, a palatial city surrounded by great walls decorated with precious metals, etc. Aalu's earliest known reference appears in 'The Destruction of Mankind," a New Kingdom history (1299 BC) (here ya go, predates Plato!) discovered in the tomb of Seti-I, at Abydos. His city was the site of the Osireion, a subterranean monument to the Great Flood that destroyed a former age of greatness.
On the other side of the world, the Apache Indians of the American SW claim their ancestors arrived after a Great Flood destroyed their homeland, still remembered as "the Isle of Flames," in the Atlantic."
2.ATAKA- Described in the Harris Papyrus circa 1180 BC summarizing in detail Ramses III's accomplishments. After the "Sea People" were defeated he declares, "I sent out an exepidtion to the land of Ataka for the great foundries of copper which are in that place. Our transport ships were loaded. Having located the foundries loaded wiht metal, loaded as myriads upon our ships, they sailed back to Egypt, arriving safely."
Ataka appears to be an Egyptian linguistic inflection of the Atlantean holding, original name (not the At prefix that keeps popping up) for Michigan's Upper Peninsula, in North America, where they engaged in extensive copper mining. Plato describes the Atlanteans as preeminent miners of the world's highest grade copper. ... The great quantities of copper his expedition took from Ataka required transport ships sailing a great, hazardous distance (the returned 'safely'), while their 'color of gold" suggests Plato's gold-like orichalcum and Michigan's high grade copper. ONLY from the Upper Peninsula could Ramses have obtained such large amounts of exceptional copper.

Now from AN EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPHIC DICTIONARY by E.A. Wallis Budge, a list of Egyptian words that could be related to the "Isle of Flames" and the world-wide flood.
Per-neser-- "House of Flame"; meh uiu- The flood that destroyed mankind; meh - submerged land"; mehit - mass of water; and an Egyptian reference, which is interesting, to bull sacrifice: Metun- place where the sacrificial bulls were hunted.

From almost every culture on earth, Adena Indians of the American Midwest to the Zuni Indians of the Pueblos, there are references to a 'sunken homeland'. I'm not one to dismiss so many 'myths' as being simply that, because they are not. Every myth has some truth to it. I could name every culture if you really need me to Harte as well as a short description of their "homeland." But I don't have the time to dilly dally with the skeptics. All I can suggest is go out and get THE ATLANTIS ENCYCLOPEDIA and see for yourself just how many cultures make reference to a "sunken homeland" in the Atlantic Ocean.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Funny how ATLANTIS and ATLANTIC are so close in spelling, ATLANTIS OCEAN...ATLANTIC OCEAN. Funny how one letter can throw a wrench into the clockwork.Question what language makes a "S" sound spelled with a letter "C".The Atlanteans were familiar with the (Law Of One) then the closest known sounding language to"The Ancients" is spanish, so maybe the Atlantic ocean is the "Atlantis ocean."

[edit on 3-8-2005 by menguard]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard
Funny how ATLANTIS and ATLANTIC are so close in spelling, ATLANTIS OCEAN...ATLANTIC OCEAN.

How is it funny? The ocean was called the atlantic and plato named the 'nation' that lived there 'atlantis', not much of a stretch really.

The Atlanteans were familiar with the (Law Of One) then the closest known sounding language to"The Ancients" is spanish

That doesn't make any sense. Spanish is just a vulgarization of the latin language, and latin didn't spread until the times of the Roman Empire. Spanish is not a ancient language or the original language, far from it, its a very modern invention.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by menguard]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Nygaden,

No," The Ancients" I am referring to are a "interdimensional race" that had history with the Atlanteans.They told me the closest known sounding language is spanish that is closest to theirs.And if they are familiar with the (law of one) this is" The ancients" bread and butter.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by menguard
No," The Ancients" I am referring to are a "interdimensional race" that had history with the Atlanteans.They told me the closest known sounding language is spanish that is closest to theirs.

This demonstrates rather conclusively for me that you are completely delusional and have imagined the entire situation. If there really are ancients telling you that spanish is the closest known language to the orignal langugae or whatever, then they are either stupid aliens or they are mean aliens who are playing an interdimensional prank on you.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Nygaden,

You can check out my thread on alien and ufo's and "judge" for yourself.

"Logic dictates what is known, what will the unknown dictate to you"

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Harte,

Just because Atlantis isn't mentioned by the name 'Atlantis', doesn't necessarily mean crap! References are littered throughout the world, although it's called something different.

I have already stipulated that the history of Earth is filled with flood stories and that the geology of Earth is littered with the remains of extraterrestrial impacts.

Originally posted by cleasterwoodAs far as ancient Eygptian references there are plenty.
THE ATLANTIS ENCYCLOPEDIA by Frank Joseph... Also approved by Martin Gray, founder of sacredsites.com and National Geographic's Principle photographer for The Geography of Religion and Rober R. Hieronimus, PHD, Author and Radio Host, 21st Century Radio.com, America's Secret Destiny):
"Aalu-- Ancient Egyptian for "The Isle of Flame," descriptive of a large, volcanic island in the Distant West. It PHYSICALLY MATCHES PLATO'S ATLANTIS VIRTUALLY DETAIL FOR DETAIL: mountainous, with canals, luxuriant crops, a palatial city surrounded by great walls decorated with precious metals, etc. Aalu's earliest known reference appears in 'The Destruction of Mankind," a New Kingdom history (1299 BC) ] (here ya go, predates Plato!) discovered in the tomb of Seti-I, at Abydos.

Odd, that. There is no such description of Aalu in the “Destruction of Mankind.” The Egyptians themselves believed they predated Aalu, as can plainly be seen from this quote from www.earth-history.com... concerning the creation of Aalu:

Men issued forth from their hiding places in great fear, and when they beheld Ra departing from them they sorrowed because of the rebellious words which had been spoken against his majesty. Indeed they cried unto Ra, beseeching him to slay those of his enemies who remained. But Ra was borne through the darkness, and men followed him until he appeared again and shed light upon the earth. Then did his faithful subjects arm themselves with weapons, and they sallied forth against the enemies of the sun god and slaughtered them in battle.
Ra beheld that which his followers among men had done, and he was well pleased. He spake unto them saying: "Now is your sin forgiven. Slaughter atones for slaughter. Such is sacrifice and the purport thereof." When Ra had thus accepted in atonement for the sin of men the sacrifice of his enemies who desired to slay him, he spake unto the heavenly goddess Nut, saying:
"Henceforth my dwelling place must be in the heavens. No longer will I reign upon the earth."
So it happened, according to his divine will. The great god went oil his way through the realms which are above, and these he divided and set in order. He spake creating words, and called into existence the field of Aalu, and there he caused to assemble a multitude of beings which are beheld in heaven, even the stars, and these were born of Nut.

This above quote is part of the translation of “the Destruction of Mankind,” mentioned in cleasterwood’s post.
Far from being some distant land of origin, Aalu is the Egyptian name for the place you go to dwell after death if your spirit weighs less than the “feather of truth,” in other words, it is a section of the Egyptian underworld where Osiris ruled and souls were rewarded forever.

Actually, this story (“the Destruction of Mankind”) comes down to us from inscriptions found in five different tombs of the New Kingdom, the earliest being that of everyone’s favorite, Tutankhamun, circa the mid 1300’s BC.

Originally posted by cleasterwoodHis city was the site of the Osireion, a subterranean monument to the Great Flood that destroyed a former age of greatness.

In fact, the Osireion was supposed to be the “Tomb of Osiris,” much discussed in other threads here, not some monument to a mythical flood.

Originally posted by cleasterwoodOn the other side of the world, the Apache Indians of the American SW claim their ancestors arrived after a Great Flood destroyed their homeland, still remembered as "the Isle of Flames," in the Atlantic."

I’m not finding anything about this in any Apache-related web page. I wonder if you could provide a link? Or is there a particular Apache story you could point me to (it’s not part of the Apache Creation Story, for example.)

Originally posted by cleasterwood2.ATAKA- Described in the Harris Papyrus circa 1180 BC summarizing in detail Ramses III's accomplishments. After the "Sea People" were defeated he declares, "I sent out an exepidtion to the land of Ataka for the great foundries of copper which are in that place. Our transport ships were loaded. Having located the foundries loaded wiht metal, loaded as myriads upon our ships, they sailed back to Egypt, arriving safely."

Ataka appears to be an Egyptian linguistic inflection of the Atlantean holding, original name (not the At prefix that keeps popping up) for Michigan's Upper Peninsula, in North America, where they engaged in extensive copper mining. Plato describes the Atlanteans as preeminent miners of the world's highest grade copper. ... The great quantities of copper his expedition took from Ataka required transport ships sailing a great, hazardous distance (the returned 'safely'), while their 'color of gold" suggests Plato's gold-like orichalcum and Michigan's high grade copper. ONLY from the Upper Peninsula could Ramses have obtained such large amounts of exceptional copper.

Please leave Plato out of it, you are clearly dismissing all but the most convenient parts of his story in this post.

It’s possible that Ataka was some far off place we know nothing of. It is also possible that Ramses III was talking about his own copper mines in the Egyptian Sinai, and in particular his personal copper mines in the Egyptian territory of Ataka, which was to the east of the Sinai, as noted in the quote below from: www.gutenberg.org...

The Sinaitic peninsula, the province of Mafkat or "Malachite," as it was called, had been in the possession of the Egyptians since the time of Zosir of the third dynasty, and it continued to be regarded as part of the Egyptian kingdom up to the age of the Ptolemies. The earliest of Egyptian rock-sculptures is engraved in the peninsula, and represents Snefru, the founder of the fourth dynasty, slaughtering the Beduin who inhabited it. Its possession was valued on account of its mines of copper and malachite. These were worked by the Egyptian kings with the help of convict labour. Garrisons were established to protect them and the roads which led to them, colonies of officials grew up at their side, and temples were built dedicated to the deities of Egypt. Even as late as the reign of Ramses III. the amount of minerals produced by the mines was enormous. They existed for the most part on the western side of the peninsula, opposite the Egyptian coast; but Ramses III. also opened copper mines in the land of 'Ataka further east, and the name of the goddess Hathor in hieroglyphics has been found by Dr. Friedmann on the shores of Midian.
(My emphasis.)

Also, if you read what actual archaeologists actually working in actual Michigan are saying about the local copper mines, you can see that, not only is there a complete lack of evidence that anyone but the natives were mining, but also that the published estimates of “missing” copper (copper mined prior to European arrival) are based on outright sensationalism and have no real basis in reality.
The following quote is from www.ramtops.co.uk... and is excerpted from an article by archaeologist Susan R. Martin originally published in “The Michigan Archaeologist.”
There is much info there on this subject if you just click on the link.

Henriette Mertz tells it more plainly and lays culpability at the toes of the archaeological profession: "This incredible amount of copper has not been accounted for by American archaeologists ..... the sum total according to archaeological findings here in the States amounts to a mere handful of copper beads and trinkets.....float copper. Five hundred thousand tons of pure copper does not disintegrate into thin air. It cannot be sneezed away......it must be somewhere, and to date, it has not been located in the United States," and "99.9% is still to be accounted for" (Mertz 1976:18). Mertz concludes, of course, that the copper was disappeared by Old World Bronze Age metal mongers.
FACT: The figures are made up out of thin air and can be sneezed away. That's because no one has a means to measure any of these variables accurately or with any precision. All of these figures are built on ill-constructed estimates. Let's examine the variable "percentage of copper in the trap rock" as an example. Clearly, the actual percentage of copper in rock varies from none (plain old rock) to one hundred percent (Ontonagon Boulder). Additionally, while the course of copper in trap rock is somewhat predictable, the amount of copper isn't necessarily constant or even regular. Many failed mining concerns of the nineteenth century found out this fact of geology the hard way! The counts of copper pits, the sizes of pits, and the weight of removed trap are 1) either arbitrarily-chosen numbers, or 2) variable in reality; despite this they are used as constants in the algorithm. Drier and Du Temple used a constant for copper percentage (error) and then multiply it by an estimated number of pits (error inherent) of a constant size (error), counting some and extrapolating to unknown areas (another error). Because we know that pits are not randomly but systematically located, excavated and followed, it makes no sense to extend their probable locations to unknown areas unless one is willing to accomodate enormous errors. In these algorithms, error compounds error compounds error. The resultant sums are a statement of faith, not fact; the numerologists may as well be counting angels dancing on heads of pins.

Originally posted by cleasterwoodNow from AN EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPHIC DICTIONARY by E.A. Wallis Budge, a list of Egyptian words that could be related to the "Isle of Flames" and the world-wide flood.
Per-neser-- "House of Flame"; meh uiu- The flood that destroyed mankind; meh - submerged land"; mehit - mass of water; and an Egyptian reference, which is interesting, to bull sacrifice: Metun- place where the sacrificial bulls were hunted.

This to me appears completely unrelated to the subject at hand. Unless you take the fact that the Egyptians had a flood myth as evidence of the existence of Atlantis.

Originally posted by cleasterwoodFrom almost every culture on earth, Adena Indians of the American Midwest to the Zuni Indians of the Pueblos, there are references to a 'sunken homeland'. I'm not one to dismiss so many 'myths' as being simply that, because they are not. Every myth has some truth to it. I could name every culture if you really need me to Harte as well as a short description of their "homeland." But I don't have the time to dilly dally with the skeptics. All I can suggest is go out and get THE ATLANTIS ENCYCLOPEDIA and see for yourself just how many cultures make reference to a "sunken homeland" in the Atlantic Ocean.

I’m sure you don’t have time to dilly dally with me. You must have very little time indeed if you accept the flood myths of various cultures as prima facie evidence for Atlantis. Why not just accept them as evidence supporting the Biblical flood myth as well?

The reason that most cultures have flood myths is that most cultures experience floods. Every couple hundred years, a culture will experience a very large flood. Once every five or six hundred years a culture will experience a megaflood.

I would venture a guess to say that there are actually very few cultures that reference a sunken homeland in the Atlantic. There are many that make reference to one in the Pacific, where we know of islands that have sunk into the ocean within the last few hundred years.
In central South America, lost homelands have in some cases been sucked into the earth, their floods not having ocurred at some mythical island homeland.

Harte

[edit on 8/5/2005 by Harte]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Just did a search here on ATS Atlantis threads. Yikes! I saw a special once that mentioned South America as Atlantis. That seems to make sense, but Thera was always a good fit too. I guess we'll never really know though, as it was supposedly 9000 years before Plato's time.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Something has occured to me that hasn't before....

Atlantis, an Island or Islands are claimed to have existed with an advanced civilization.... lets just go with that notion.

An Advanced civilization.... I repeat... An Advanced civilization.... now, can anyone find a reason as to why an Advanced civilization decided to esstentially "stay on their own Island" and not want to expand and explore the "new frontiers"? Is not human nature to look up at the stars, to look across the seas? To want to explore the horizons?

If they were truely advanced, then there is no doubt in my mind that they would expand their reaches...

Now with that said, lets assume they DID expand... where is the evidence of this advanced civilization in other places? MOre Importantly- where are the other legends and stories that can confirm what Plato had said?

Maybe I'm wrong here.... but I believe if they were so advanced they would have built a boat and left their mark/story else where no?

Now before there are cries of "well, th emayans didnt expand, the sumerians didnt expand..." Remember, we are suppossed to be talking about An Advanced civilization!!!!!

Perhaps we should define "advanced"

Peace

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Serum39]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serum39
Something has occured to me that hasn't before....

Atlantis, an Island or Islands are claimed to have existed with an advanced civilization.... lets just go with that notion.

An Advanced civilization.... I repeat... An Advanced civilization.... now, can anyone find a reason as to why an Advanced civilization decided to esstentially "stay on their own Island" and not want to expand and explore the "new frontiers"? Is not human nature to look up at the stars, to look across the seas? To want to explore the horizons?

If they were truely advanced, then there is no doubt in my mind that they would expand their reaches...

Now with that said, lets assume they DID expand... where is the evidence of this advanced civilization in other places? MOre Importantly- where are the other legends and stories that can confirm what Plato had said?

Maybe I'm wrong here.... but I believe if they were so advanced they would have built a boat and left their mark/story else where no?

Now before there are cries of "well, th emayans didnt expand, the sumerians didnt expand..." Remember, we are suppossed to be talking about An Advanced civilization!!!!!

Perhaps we should define "advanced"

Peace

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Serum39]

Serum 39,

A very good point. The truth is, the only ancient references we have to Atlantis are the original dialogues from Plato. In these, Plato mentioned nothing about Atlanteans being advanced beyond the local civilizations that they had enslaved. In fact, the story's main thrust is that the Athenians defeated the Atlanteans and freed pretty much the entire Mediterreanean from their despotic grip.

Descriptions of battles are included. Only conventional weaponry (of the time period) is mentioned.

It was only recently (late 19th, early 20th century) that people started making these crazy "advanced civilization" claims. They originated with mediums and other spiritualists that infected those times. Of course, mediums gotta eat too.

Harte

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Since the OP didn't mention any facts I'll state at least one: Atlantis was the fictional creation of Plato.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Yes, and only fictional about it is they haven't advanced society and/or technology. Isn't that odd how most of the Plato's Atlantis writings are incomplete or missing.
Censorship old 2000 years how can it be?
I wouldn't rule it out though.
And it is almost funny to read thousands of pages and even more numbers of locations, from Himalaiia to Pacific deep. Even in heart of Europe, Balkans, Americas and list goes on.
It is absolutely largest disinfo ever. Why is it so weird to have some islands lost in the Atlantic. Is it so hard to believe in that.
It is well known among geologists such change in geography is possible.
Even as we speak maior tectonic movement is likely to be triggered and to change even put some countries under the water.
I can call all this interest largest disinfo and old censorship.
Why we haven't any public research in the Atlantic now, it can easily prove or dissaprove theories.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I have to agree with the lunar cycle and not the solar cycle described by Plato. Humans were not on earth that early. My best guess on this Atlantis legend is that the Phoenicians settled a great outpost in the Caribbean Ocean to control their mining operation around the Americas. Their outposts were named after the sons of the Sea god, such as Gadeirus and Atlas. Wouldn't the greatest sea farers of all time put great emphasis on the sea god? It is highly possible that Ramses III captured a few of these Sea People and assemilated them into his Egyptian culture. The legend would have been passed down and possibly written down. There would have to have been many errors to the accuracy of the event.
There is possibly one biblical connection to the suffering of this western outpost. I would have to say the actions of King Solomon determined its fate. The ten northern tribes were so infected with the Phoenician (Caananite) religion that God had to sever the connection by dividing the Nation of Israel into ten and two and then punish that great sea faring nation by putting a stop to its western connection.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

An Advanced civilization.... I repeat... An Advanced civilization....

Plato makes no such claims....this is the product of later sci-fi authors, not Plato. Read the Dialogue and see for yourself.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join