It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two facts of Atlantis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gypsywoman
Hello. I am new to this board.

Atlantis is somewhere in the triangle near Bimini.

So if you connect the Basque language, Atlantis and the Bermuda triangle and how civilizations can be lost, where they came from and why strange things happen it makes sense.

First off.. welcome
enjoy your stay.

Second, wow that is really cool, maybe the technology used in Atlantis, which could have been electrical and what not, is what interferes with things in the Bermuda triangle, like an underlying electrical grid type thing. meh

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Isnt basque related to berber in north africa though? im not a linguist so i couldnt tell you. I have long believed the arabs have knowledge of atlantis.
Also i have believed that the Azores were a part of Atlantis, not only because it makes sense geographically with platos story, but because of the step type pyramids on the island as well as the story of the guanchas.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
The only concrete fact about Atlantis is the fact that it appears once in any ancient texts, namely Plato's 'The Republic'

THe Republic is a book dealing with ideal forms of Government and Greek philosophy. To make his case Plato used examples that he made up to exemplify his perfect structure.

He set his perfect world in the past, but declared that it had been to war with Athens on several occasions.

He also said that 'Atlantis' was destroyed 9000 years before he was writing. Athens wasnt around at that time. Plato's story isnt true.

Onlyh in the 19th century, when far too many people were taught to read, was the idea of Atlantis taken seriously.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I expect Plato is spinning in his grave fast enough to generate the electricity for a small city. He mentions some mythical place once in his writings, while trying to make a point on utopias and their impossibility - several thousand years later people are sitting at computers going on about HAARP weapons and alien invasions.

It is all pure speculation. How can this thread open with "2 facts about alantis" and then just not give any facts but make some stuff up? Here are 2 facts about alantis:

1 Plato mentioned it once
2 Millions of people seem to think they know where is was and how it was destroyed

Speculation and collabarative fiction can be fun, but lets not bring the whole "fact" thing into it.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Is there absolutly no other mention of this in any ancient texts? how about ancient egyptian? supposedly the story came from an egyptian priest in sais. I know atlantis had an egyptian name, cant remember it but essential its the same story.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle JoeThe only concrete fact about Atlantis is the fact that it appears once in any ancient texts, namely Plato's 'The Republic'

Originally posted by FatherLukeDuke
I expect Plato is spinning in his grave fast enough to generate the electricity for a small city. He mentions some mythical place once in his writings, while trying to make a point on utopias and their impossibility - several thousand years later people are sitting at computers going on about HAARP weapons and alien invasions.

I have to agree with Father. I'm sure that Plato is spinning even harder upon hearing Uncle Joe's assertion that Atlantis was mentioned in Plato's Republic, since there is no mention of Atlantis in that particular work.

Atlantis appears technically twice in ancient writings, in Critias and in Timaeus, both works by Plato, both written immediately following the Republic, and both a continuation of the conversation taking place in the Republic.

Atlantis never had an Egyptian name that we know of, and there is no mention of Atlantis (or any similar legend) in all of the writings we have from ancient Egypt. Plato states as he tells the Atlantean story that Solon, the Greek poet from whom Critias' grandfather heard the story, had translated all the people and place names into Greek, having planned to write an epic about the story and not wanting any confusion from the average reader of the day.

Wouldn't you know it, Solon never got around to writing his poem.

My opinion is that no place named Atlantis ever existed in the ancient world. Of course, it does exist today, as a resort destination in the Bahamas.

Harte

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Is there absolutly no other mention of this in any ancient texts? how about ancient egyptian? supposedly the story came from an egyptian priest in sais. I know atlantis had an egyptian name, cant remember it but essential its the same story.

Nope. It doesn't appear anywhere else. There's nothing even vaguely similar in the (vast number of) Egyptian texts that we have and can read -- texts dating from the beginning of the Egyptian kingdom some 7,000 years ago or so.

Nor are there any Egyptian legends mentioning it or anything vaguely similar. Ditto any other cultures of the Mediterranean area.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm terribly curious as to why one would even look to Eqyptian writings for something that was supposed to exist on the other freaking side of the continent. If one were to look it should be at spoken history of the people living say in Ivory Coast or some such.... Also, if atlantis was so tech. advanced, then they would have had commerce and trade with other nations just as a point of normal operation, so it would have spread a bit more than to just one mans (Plato) writings.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Basque is a language unto istself with no connections to any other langauge on the planer. I own a translatin agency and there is a book called Langauges of the World that backs up that fact.

The Pyrinnes mountains and basque people and culture, the bermunda triangle (around Bimini) and the electrical things that happen there, and my readings recently about the findings which they are calling Atlantis (Cayce stuff) and the movement of the plates and where everything used to line up has caught my attention.

Any info on any of it good or bad is appreciated!

Thanks,

GW

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Can anybody find any information, or find out if these statements are factual:

"The document "History of the Golden Ages" reveals over 30 ruins including pyramids, domes, paved roads, rectangular buildings, columns, canals and artifacts that have been found on the ocean bottoms from the Bahamas to the nearby coasts of Europe and Africa, referencing the vast size of the lost continent.

Dozens of historians and famous writers wrote about the Atlantis they believed existed, how the Myans and Aztecs had told their conquerors that they came from Atlantis and Mu, about ancient tablets photographed in Peru showing those two lost continents, Atlantis and Lemuria, and ancient maps clearly showing Atlantis.

Just some of the ruins so far found include:

* A pyramid explored by Dr Ray Brown on the sea floor off the Bahamas in 1970. Brown was accompanied by 4 divers who also found roads, domes, rectangular buildings, unidentified metallic instruments, and a statue holding a "mysterious" crystal containing miniature pyramids. The metal devices and crystals were taken to Florida for analysis at a university there. What was discovered was that the crystal amplified energy that passed through it.

* Ruins of roads and buildings found off Binini Island in the 1960's by the photographed and published expeditions of Dr Mansan Valentine. Similar ruins were also photographed off Cay Sal in the Bahamas. Similar underwater ruins were found off Morocco and photographed 50 to 60 feet underwater.

* A huge 11 room pyramid found 10,000 feet under water in the mid Atlantic Ocean with a huge crystal top, as reported by Tony Benlk.

* A 1977 report of a huge pyramid found off Cay Sal in the Bahamas, photographed by Ari Marshall's expedition, about 150 feet underwater. The pyramid was about 650 feet high. Mysteriously the surrounding water was lit by sparkling white water flowing out of the openings in the pyramid and surrounded by green water, instead of the black water everywhere else at that depth.

* A sunken city about 400 miles off Portugal found by Soviet expeditions led by Boris Asturua, with buildings made of extremely strong concrete and plastics. He said "the remains of streets suggests the use of monorails for transportation". He also brought up a statue.

* A marble acropolis underwater across five acres of fluted columns raised on pillars.

* Heinrich Schilemann, the man who found and excavated the famous ruins of Troy (which historians thought was only a legend), reportedly left a written account of his discovery of a bronze vase with a metal unknown to scientists who examined it, in the famous Priam Treasure. Inside it are glyphs in Phoenician stating that it was from King Chronos of Atlantis. Identical pottery was found in Tiajuanaco, Bolivia.

Many other examples of roads, buildings and columns are available, many of them made with materials not available in their areas.

Many ancient maps are also known to have Atlantis on them, including the ancient Greek ones studied by Christopher Columbus before he set sail for America.

Ancient writings from the Aztecs, Myans, Greeks, Egyptians, Spain, India, Tibet, and islands in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans all speak of ancient sunken continents and their connection to them.

Human footprints and shoe prints, a perfectly engineered cube, jewelry, a prehistoric animal with a hole in its skull that scientists admit only a bullet could make, a remnant of a screw, and other modern artifacts have been found in layered rock strata geologists admit formed on these objects MILLIONS of years ago. All of these discoveries were printed in public daily newspapers when they occurred, and left out of history books simply because historians could not explain them with THEIR theories."

source:
www.world-mysteries.com...

All of those ruins that are stated is supposedly Atlantis.. in the Bahamas.. but I'm thinking it's just part of the Aztecs and Mayans.
There are still artifacts of Aztecs and Mayans found in the ocean.
And about those writings of sunken continets, by the Mayans and Aztecs, What could those contintents have been or were those "continents" mistaken for something else?
The information that Zipdot posted and that site seem more plausible than the stories of a civilization with a strange power and near infinite knowledge.. but what's said about the skull found with a "bullet hole" in it and the powercrystals or whatever, kind of contradicts that theory about Atlantis in Bolivia

[edit on 7/4/2005 by Logical_Psycho]

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the URL. Gonna do some serious reading today.
It is said that the civilization was lost due to supreme technology and not so supreme morals. Similar to today. It would be a good thing to learn from a past even if it may only be fable. I for one do not want to go the way of the large flying birds (dino) or the Atlantians.

Wonder if there is a messge here..hidden in our communal curiousity?

GW

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

These globs of glass were discovered to be clay pots that had melted under intense heat!

According to legend, Atlantis was destroyed by volcanic erruptions. Could this have melted the clay pots?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logical_Psycho
Dozens of historians and famous writers wrote about the Atlantis they believed existed, how the Myans and Aztecs had told their conquerors that they came from Atlantis and Mu, about ancient tablets photographed in Peru showing those two lost continents, Atlantis and Lemuria, and ancient maps clearly showing Atlantis.

That one's fake. The tales of "Mu and Atlantis" show up long after Cortez conquered them.

* A pyramid explored by Dr Ray Brown on the sea floor off the Bahamas in 1970. Brown was accompanied by 4 divers who also found roads, domes, rectangular buildings, unidentified metallic instruments, and a statue holding a "mysterious" crystal containing miniature pyramids. The metal devices and crystals were taken to Florida for analysis at a university there. What was discovered was that the crystal amplified energy that passed through it.

Nope. Someone else found "Roads" and then Brown (who is not an MD or a PhD, but a self-proclaimed doctor) suddenly shows up and says he saw all that... and gee, there's no actual proof.

Liar!

* Ruins of roads and buildings found off Binini Island in the 1960's by the photographed and published expeditions of Dr Mansan Valentine. Similar ruins were also photographed off Cay Sal in the Bahamas. Similar underwater ruins were found off Morocco and photographed 50 to 60 feet underwater.

I remember those, but they're not actually roads.

* A huge 11 room pyramid found 10,000 feet under water in the mid Atlantic Ocean with a huge crystal top, as reported by Tony Benlk.

Him and what submersable?

In case you don't know it, there's no suit you can use to go down that far.

* A 1977 report of a huge pyramid found off Cay Sal in the Bahamas, photographed by Ari Marshall's expedition, about 150 feet underwater. The pyramid was about 650 feet high. Mysteriously the surrounding water was lit by sparkling white water flowing out of the openings in the pyramid and surrounded by green water, instead of the black water everywhere else at that depth.

...and never, ever found again in spite of better technology. Do you get the feeling that someone's making up stuff?

* A sunken city about 400 miles off Portugal found by Soviet expeditions led by Boris Asturua, with buildings made of extremely strong concrete and plastics. He said "the remains of streets suggests the use of monorails for transportation". He also brought up a statue.

The only place I see this report are UFO pages. No other reports around. This is suspicious. Soviets are hardly modest when it comes to reporting archaeological finds.

* A marble acropolis underwater across five acres of fluted columns raised on pillars.

...where?

* Heinrich Schilemann, the man who found and excavated the famous ruins of Troy (which historians thought was only a legend), reportedly left a written account of his discovery of a bronze vase with a metal unknown to scientists who examined it, in the famous Priam Treasure. Inside it are glyphs in Phoenician stating that it was from King Chronos of Atlantis. Identical pottery was found in Tiajuanaco, Bolivia.

...and why hasn't any of this turned up? Why aren't the promoters of Atlantis showing it to skeptical scholars to flabbergast them?

Many ancient maps are also known to have Atlantis on them, including the ancient Greek ones studied by Christopher Columbus before he set sail for America.

They also had all sorts of other things on them, such as "the men who live here have no heads and have mouths in their stomachs."

Ancient writings from the Aztecs, Myans, Greeks, Egyptians, Spain, India, Tibet, and islands in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans all speak of ancient sunken continents and their connection to them.

Human footprints and shoe prints, a perfectly engineered cube, jewelry, a prehistoric animal with a hole in its skull that scientists admit only a bullet could make, a remnant of a screw, and other modern artifacts have been found in layered rock strata geologists admit formed on these objects MILLIONS of years ago. All of these discoveries were printed in public daily newspapers when they occurred, and left out of history books simply because historians could not explain them with THEIR theories."

I'll bet that if you go to track down the source, you'll find the artifacts have all Mysteriously Evaporated or were badly misinterpreted. And that none of them points to "Atlantis."

Now, I'd believe that there were older civilizations (American Indians in the US about 40,000 years ago... yep. I'd believe that. But I wouldn't believe they were swooping around riding temple roofs and wielding ray guns.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Thanks for some clarification on those supposed "facts" from that website.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by gypsywoman
It is said that the civilization was lost due to supreme technology and not so supreme morals. Similar to today. It would be a good thing to learn from a past even if it may only be fable.

This was exactly Plato's point. Think Aesop (another Greek.)

Harte

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Let's try the Proto-Encke-Oljato comet that passed by the earth atmosphere around 1000 BCE that caused "mass destruction" across the four corners of the world and rained debris onto the earth as it passed along the area between the Equator and the Artic Circle. Go read my post here : www.abovetopsecret.com... , for further explaination. There was NO ancient nuclear war but a comet large enough to cast light upon the world 24 hours a day.
Nuclear war- bah humbug.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
But what have we learned from this fable if it is one.

Should non-governmental agencies be able to take away your home via eminent domain so the town or state you are living in can get more taxes than you can pay?

Should daughters be left to starve to death at the hands of their husbands who are already having children with another woman or should the parents be allowed to care for her till she dies at home with them? Should Judges rule in that forum?

Should judges let out child molestors so they can kill again and not be held responsible?

Can priests get away with Rape and be let free just cuz they represent G_D? Like heck they do!

Should TV commercials spread negative morals by staing GET YOUR OWN BOX, and being narcassistic by ONLY CARING ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY SAVED ON THEIR CAR INSURANCE?

Should a popular movie with two good looking actors be allowed to show a man kicking a woman in the stomach while she lays on the floor and call that HUMOR?

Should TV commercials promote lying to one another and seflishness and stealing?

Should a government allow us to fight a war with Arabs who did not bomb us and lie to us and have our leader say OOPS...I was not told the truth or does the buck stop with him? Where is personal repsonsibilty? Where is morals and ethics? And what ever happened to the Middle East...if we could not win there..how were we to win in Iraq. (Although I support the troops..it ain't their fault they are there.) What the heck are we doing there..oh yeh..oil money for the Bush...use a country for their own personal use and we let this happen?

Oh BTW aren't we suppose to declare war afte 30 days with an act of Congress. Is this war declared ...??that passed my by.

Should a government be allowed to take the press and make it so it is no longer a FREE PRESS cuz they now have to reveal sources.

Can you say Facist!

If Atlantis was or was not a true place..have we learned NOTHING from the story? Nothing at ALL?

Thanks for listening.

GW

Scuze the typos!

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Harte,
INCORRECT! Plato did in fact mention Atlantis in other writings, but it was Laws, not Republic. Structured as a conversation between an Athenian, a Cretan, and Clinias (Spartan)
ATHENIAN: Then what view do you both take on the ancient legends? Is there any truth to them?
CLINIAS: What legends are you talking about?
ATHENIAN: Those which recount recurring destructions of humanity by floods, epidemics, or from a variety of causes, when only a few survivors are left behind.
CLINIAS: Oh, those stories are entirely credible to anyone.
ATHENIAN: Well, then let us discuss one of those mass exterminations, the one that was brought about by the Great Deluge.
HERE PLATO REITERATES HIS INSISTNECE THAT THE ACCOUNT IS TRUE AND MAKES CLEAR REFERENCE TO SOLON.
ATHENIAN: Poets, you singing as they do under divine guidance, are among the inspired to do so, with help of their Graces and Muses, often hit upon true historical fact.
MOTIVATION MENTIONED FIRST IN TIMAEUS AND LATER IN LAWS:
The story continues in a similar vein and discusses the 'dark age' when civilization slipped back into ignorance and chaos following the destruction. Plato also hints that the society was advanced when he wrote of the scientific discoveries lost during destruction. Along with technology, Plato says important minerals were also lost.

The Egyptian name for Atlantis was Netero or "Sacred Island". Sea Peoples related to the Victory Temple of West Thebes built by Ramses III mentions that one captive told Ramses that the reason they invaded was because their homeland sank beneath the waves. The inscription reads: "The head of their cities has gone under the waves. The great heat of Sekhmet mingled with their heat, so that their bones burned in the midst of their bodies. The shooting-star was terrible in its pursuit of them... a mighty torch hurling flame from the heavens to search out their sould, to devastate their root. The Kel and the Meshwesh of the sea, they were made as those that exist not. The land of Meshwesh was destroyed all at once."
AND
The Ipuwer Papyrus speaks of the world appearing to turn upside down in a cosmic cataclysm.

The right answers are in front of us but the 9,000 BCE date is incorrect. IF you use solar years (365 days) you get a figure of 9,000 BCE But in lunar years, which is what the priests of Ancient Egypt used in recording history, you get a much more believable date nearer to the 900 BCE mark for the date of the last cataclysm. Also, important to mention, is that if you substitute aruoras or 'side' for stadia, the dimensions of Atlantis as described by Plato, you get a much more accurate and believable picture of what Atlantis really looked like.

According to legend, Atlantis was destroyed by volcanic erruptions. Could this have melted the clay pots?

No according to legend Atlantis was covered with water. And yes, the volcanic activity that in fact occured from the deluge (comet impact) would have melted even walls! First the comet hit, then the volcanic activity began, then it exploded out the tail end of the Oceananic Fault Line to bust out right near where Plato said Atlantis was.

GypsyWoman,
NO, man has learned NOTHING. We are as greedy and self-indulgent as the Atlantean forefathers and will most likely meet a similar fate.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
You know during certain parts of the year, you can see ruins of an ancient city 150miles off the coast of cuba. It has been picked up by different satallites in space.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
www.altarcheologie.nl.../cuba/cuba_1.htm

[edit on 24-7-2005 by jake1997]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join