It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Templars and Baphomet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What exactly did the Baphomet symbolize to the Templars?

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Egg Mundane

Baphomet could be a corruption of the Arabic "abufihamet" meaning "wisdom" or "father of wisdom". They seemed to worship Baphomet in the form of a idol head. Interesting stuff.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
Baphomet could be a corruption of the Arabic "abufihamet" meaning "wisdom" or "father of wisdom". They seemed to worship Baphomet in the form of a idol head. Interesting stuff.

You actually believe that!?!? That is one of the multitudes of lies that the Templars were charged with by King Philip and the Church when they were charged with treason!

They were also charged with spitting on the cross and doing the mexican hat-dance on it! Come on!

[edit on 5-6-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
From what I understand; during the Crusades, the Templars formed Gnostic Brotherhoods along with Islamic Mystics; which later degenerated.

Baphomet could be a corruption of the Arabic "abufihamet" meaning "wisdom" or "father of wisdom".

The question is, if that is really an Arabic word, and if it means something similiar to "Immersed in Wisdom".

Here's some relevant info:

www.gnosis-usa.com...

Baphomet [from Greek baphe "immersion" + metis "wisdom"]

From The Theosophical Glossary: "A medieval mystic term usually identified with the goat of Mendes. The Templars of Malta were accused of worshiping Baphomet as an idol. Baphomat signifies a baptism in wisdom or initiation, but became degraded and misunderstood when the keys to its real meaning were lost." The symbol of the Baphomet is related to Arcanum 15: Passion, as explained in The Initiatic Path in the Arcana of Tarot and Kabbalah. The term "baphomet" hides a message when read backwards: Tem-o-h-p-ab, which is the symbol of the Latin words Templi ommun hominum pacis abbas, which means "The Father of the temple of universal peace for men." See Typhon.

Typhon (Greek) From The Theosophical Glossary: "Typhoeus in Hesiodic theogony is a son of Tartarus and Gaia, a fire-breathing titan with a hundred heads and begetter of destructive hurricanes. He rebels against the gods and is killed by Zeus with a thunderbolt and buried under Mount Etna. Typhon was originally his son -- post-type of himself -- but the two were later identified. He represents the necessary counterpart of Zeus, as darkness is of light, Set of Osiris, or Satan of God. He is the Dragon Apophis, the Accuser in The Egyptian Book of the Dead, murderer of Osiris, destroyed by Horus; the dark side of Zeus, as Set is the dark side of Osiris, and night the dark side of day; Python, Loki, Rahu, and falling demons in general. In one form he is the dragon slain by St. Michael or St. George. The original meaning is sublime, for Typhon in its prototypal significance is chaos, the unorganized womb or fountain of production, which calls forth the creative energy by resisting it, and is equally necessary with the former. When humanity falls into matter, then these dark-side potencies of nature acquire for mankind a distinctly evil connotation, and their names can be given to vast destructive forces which the misuse of the human will has engendered. In a more restricted sense as connected with our earth, Typhon was not only the causative agent, but likewise the symbol of all seismic and volcanic phenomena, as well as being, even according to ancient Greek philosophical thought, in intimate connection with meteorological phenomena as evidenced by winds and storms." See Typhon Baphomet.

Typhon Baphomet (Egyptian) An aspect or shadow of Osiris. Typhon is not an “evil principle” or “Satan,” but is rather the lower cosmic principle of the divine body of Osiris, being the shadow of Him. In the Book of the Dead, he is described as being one who “steals reason from the soul.”

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk
That is one of the multitudes of lies that the Templars were charged with

There is evidence for it. I'm not saying that King Philippe and Pope Clement V were dirty evil liars (they were), but that aside their is still some evidence that they did indeed use Baphomet in rituals. It is not a bad thing, I do believe they were lovers of Wisdom. That is they did not worship a "head" but wisdom itself. And who dones't like that.

What say you sebatwerk?

[edit on 5-6-2005 by Boatphone]

[edited big quote - nygdan]

[edit on 5-6-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

There is evidence for it. I'm not saying that King Philippe and Pope Clement V were dirty evil liars (they were), but that aside their is still some evidence that they did indeed use Baphomet in rituals. It is not a bad thing, I do believe they were lovers of Wisdom. That is they did not worship a "head" but wisdom itself. And who dones't like that.

There is evidence that they worshipped a head? Or, rather, evidence that the word "Baphomet" was used frequently in their rituals? Do we even have details of the rituals the Templars performed? If not, then what kind of evidence is there?

All we know for sure is that the false charge that the Templars worshipped a head which they called "Baphomet" was brought about by King Philip and the Church.

[edit on 5-6-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

the false charge[...] was brought about by King Philip and the Church.

I agree with you, I'm just saying that there is evidence that they kept and use heads in their rituals. Some say that it was John the Baptits's head that they kept. They did have beliefs that were way outside that of the church.

Hugues de Payen himself had three black heads on his battle shield.

[edited big quote - nygdan]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Articles taken from www.templarhistory.com

Shown left, is an illustration of Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, being burned at the stake. It all started with the arrest of the French Knights by Philip the Fair on Friday the 13th of October 1307. What followed was a set of accusations against the brethren of the order. This set of accusations was similar to that used against the Cathars before them and would be used by the Inquisition against the poor peasants of Medieval Europe accused of being Witches.

[edit: snipped cutandpaste - nygdan]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Egg Mundane

I think a better question is, was Baphomet a symbol that the Templars used. No one has demonstrated that.

Originally posted by Boatphonebut that aside their is still some evidence that they did indeed use Baphomet in rituals

Such as what?.....

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
edit post -bad nygdan bad!

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I agree with you, I'm just saying that there is evidence that they kept and use heads in their rituals. Some say that it was John the Baptits's head that they kept. They did have beliefs that were way outside that of the church.

Can I see this evidence please? Can I please see where it says that the Knights Templar worshipped a corruption of the prophet Mohammed?

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic12

Can I see this evidence please? Can I please see where it says that the Knights Templar worshipped a corruption of the prophet Mohammed?

I do not believe they worshiped a corruption of the prophet Mohammed!! I have never said that! I believe they worshiped WISDOM. And they had beliefs that did not meet eye to eye with the Church.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Worshipping wisdom was worshipping Baphomet. It makes no sense why Christian Crusaders would adopt Islam figures into their worship.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic12
It makes no sense why Christian Crusaders would adopt Islam figures into their worship.

I think that the idea in general is plausible enough. Why couldn't the crusaders adopt islamic characteristics in terms of religion? THey adopted islamic art and architecture and techonology and philsophy, so what not aspects of the religion? Apparently Shia'ism has some characteristics not so far removed from christianity. Also, the crusaders were in the holy land and syria, where groups like the esoteric-mystic Assasins were (and still are apparently), along with the Sufis, and Alawis and who knows how many others.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I find it unlikely that the Templars worshipped The Baphomet. Like many sources say, it was an accusation against the Templars.

taken from templarhistory.com

King Philip IV, who lusted for the Templar wealth, could only take it from them if they were heretics. The charges of demon worship, kissing genitals and such were common accusations of heresy that lasted from the destruction of the Cathars at Albi through to the Salem witch-hunts of the American Colonies...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I agree. However, it would be interesting to see what effects islamic religion had on christian religion. Supposedly the Templars were 'close' with some islamic sects, like the assasins (whom apparently they rented land from to put their castles and forts upon).

Does anyone know if the Templars had any beleifs that were unique to them or even unusual for the christian mainstream at the time?

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I agree. However, it would be interesting to see what effects islamic religion had on christian religion. Supposedly the Templars were 'close' with some islamic sects, like the assasins (whom apparently they rented land from to put their castles and forts upon).

WERE the Templars close to muslims? Being crusaders, they would generally spend a great deal of timme FIGHTING them, no?

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Does anyone know if the Templars had any beleifs that were unique to them or even unusual for the christian mainstream at the time?

Yes, most all of their beliefs were NOT mainsteam at the time. They had knowlage of many different cultures and religions. They were extremely powerful and were not able to be controlled by the church. They had there own ideas and agenda. They even adoped some of the beliefs of the Cathars!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

WERE the Templars close to muslims? Being crusaders, they would generally spend a great deal of timme FIGHTING them, no?

They were only crusaders during the crusades. Most of the time they were on their own doing as they pleased, growing more powerful.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   

the false charge[...] was brought about by King Philip and the Church.

I would LOVE to see this evidence. Maybe you could present it for us?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join