It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapture?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I use to hear in Sunday school always about the rapture and how we would be taken in the wink of an eye,well after hearing so many things I cant really believe in it anymore,can't really find any hard evidence or scriptures in the bible that support it.Do any of you fellow Christians believe in it?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
My days in Sunday school were much different. NEVER a mention of some "rapture".

This word is now being used to scare the heck out of people who look to God for help, and instead God's word is interrupted and changed. Many "evangelical" and "pentecostal" leaders use this to have more under their command so they may exert THEIR influence and agenda on everyone else.

I wish the sheep would wake up. Saw a preacherman on TV the other day saying what is wrong, this is wrong, etc. He then said, "But God loves you, and we love you." Trouble was not a smile crossed his face. He continued on with his agenda without realizing what love really is.

I don't understand why many don't see thru this tripe.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater

They don’t see through this because people are sheep as you stated, meaning they follow. Most don’t take the time to do as instructed:

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The Rapture is a security blanket (IMHO) based on several misinterpreted passages including 1 Corinthians 15:50-53 where they pull the “wink of eye” hook from.

However if they were to understand: the 1 Corinthians passage above and 2 Thessalonians 2:3 and a few others, they would realize that we are not going anywhere, Christ is coming here and all mankind whether sinner or saint, will be changed into an incorruptible form.

[edit on 6/1/2005 by curtisthebull]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheApocalypse
I use to hear in Sunday school always about the rapture and how we would be taken in the wink of an eye,well after hearing so many things I cant really believe in it anymore,can't really find any hard evidence or scriptures in the bible that support it.Do any of you fellow Christians believe in it?

I believe it. (Go ahead, persecute me!
)

You're not going to find any hard evidence, unless you consider faith to be that. Look to story of doubting Thomas. When he met the arisen Christ, after unbelieving, Jesus put Thomas' fingers through the hole in his palm. Thomas SAW and believed. Jesus said, "blessed are those who believe without seeing."

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

I believe it. (Go ahead, persecute me!
)

I don’t think most would want to persecute you; however I am interested in how you come to your belief and does that belief have a Biblically foundation.

While faith is great, faith in what is the question. Faith in Christ, yes, faith in an eschatological theory that may or may not be correct, well that causes me to pause.

Again, no persecution intended.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
No worries!

I was always in church from the smallest. I always believed - before anyone told me to, before I was "saved" as a young teen.

I began my church-going life as a Methodist. I joined the Baptist Church after moving down south as a kid.

My mom always taught us to read and study the word for ourselves. And to pray that the Holy Spirit would speak to us. She taught us to be self-reliant in that way so that we would not be mislead by wolves in sheep's clothing.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by curtisthebull

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater

They don’t see through this because people are sheep as you stated, meaning they follow. Most don’t take the time to do as instructed:

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The Rapture is a security blanket (IMHO) based on several misinterpreted passages including 1 Corinthians 15:50-53 where they pull the “wink of eye” hook from.

However if they were to understand: the 1 Corinthians passage above and 2 Thessalonians 2:3 and a few others, they would realize that we are not going anywhere, Christ is coming here and all mankind whether sinner or saint, will be changed into an incorruptible form.

[edit on 6/1/2005 by curtisthebull]

From the King James Version

1 Thessalonians 4:17 - Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Now why would we need to meet Him in the air if He was on His way down to stay for a while? I don't base my beliefs on a few chosen verses, but on an overall theme running through out the Bible.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I thought the rapture was invented by an excommunicated catholic priest who wrote some book about it. Then some preacher in the 1800’s read his book and founded what we call the Pentecostal and Baptist religions. Didn’t the bible say something about in the end times there would be a perverted form of Christianity? I wish Jesus would hurry up and come back and end this whole debate. Every generation thought they were living in the end times, so will every other one until our Lord comes and takes us home! Until then our new Christianity will continue to preach tolerance but not of others. But don’t questions someone’s Faith like Farwell, Bush etc. That’s just not right anymore. The flock needs to do as told and not question.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Yep I heard that it was a woman in the Catholic Church that thought it in the 1800s from a "vision".

From Dark Elf:

Now why would we need to meet Him in the air if He was on His way down to stay for a while? I don't base my beliefs on a few chosen verses, but on an overall theme running through out the Bible.

Actually I heard when they translated the Greek word "aer" from the Greek bible they mistranslated it as "air".

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It is they who have perverted the faith. That's why I said my mom taught us to know what those scriptures say. It's the best defense against being mislead.

Look at them. These fine, upstanding Christians, bloodthirsty for war and condemning all who do not conform to their intolerance.

If you ask me, they are not Christian at all. I don't know how they could be. They need to go back and study the sermon on the mount and the beattitudes.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Researching the origin of the rapture would be a very enlightening thing. To bad I’m to dam lazy.

[edit on 1-6-2005 by DiRtYDeViL]

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I set out to read the entire bible awhile back - front to back (tho I've read the New Testament several times). What a project!
It is not easy. Sometimes I get knocked around by life and I get mad and put it down. But then I think, this is a spiritual attack on me. The powers of darkness do not want me to follow through. I will NOT stop. And I am almost done. I'm at a place that is focusing on Mesopotamia, strangely enuff (with all this Iraq stuff going on.) It's very fascinating.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheApocalypse

From Dark Elf:

Actually I heard when they translated the Greek word "aer" from the Greek bible they mistranslated it as "air".

From the KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon, Strong’s #109 ajhvr, Transliterated word aer
Definition:
1. the air, particularly the lower and denser air as distinguished from the higher and rarer air
2. the atmospheric region

When in doubt, I try to use the original Greek or Hebrew and cross Reference with The Strong's Concordance.

Here is a handy site :

bible.crosswalk.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I believe there will be a rapture. I've posted the verses before and will surely do it again. Off the top of my head I think there are probably a dozen or so and they do say plenty, and even show that it is before the tribulation. It's time consuming to post them and every other time I do people still disagree. So will it really matter if I do post them is my question?

I will post them and go into word meanings(although it will probably the weekend before I have time) but a favor would be appreciated on others part. Please pray and ask God to reveal the truth to you concerning this subject.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
As most of us know, rapture is NEVER used in the Bible. "Catching up" or "setting aside" I believe are the two most accurate translations...

Mad props to ECK and dbrandt...I'm with ya' all the way.
See ya' there

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The word rapture comes from the Latin word rapturo which is a translation of the Greek word aJrpavzw Transliterated word Harpazo.

Definition:
1. to seize, carry off by force
2. to seize on, claim for one's self eagerly
3. to snatch out or away

1 Thessalonians 4:17 - Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

When God destroyed the world with water, Noah and his family were spared from His wrath. When God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot and his family were spared from His wrath.

Christians who believe that the rapture will take place before the Great Tribulation, believe that we will be caught up and spared from His wrath.

Maranatha

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf

Christians who believe that the rapture will take place before the Great Tribulation, believe that we will be caught up and spared from His wrath.

Question: Since there is no wrath towards Christians from God, because we are covered by Christ’s blood, why do we have to be evacuated from the earth?

None of your examples were evacuated. Even Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego weren’t evacuated but kept though the tribulation. Why, to do God’s work.

While man’s wrath will be kindled against those who do God’s work, God’s is capable of directing his wrath appropriately.

Mar 13:9 But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.
Mar 13:10 And the gospel must first be published among all nations

So, should we not want to be here to be a willing servant to God and for God? Is this not the work that gives us our rewards you good and faithful servant?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
John 17:15 (Jesus
"I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou should keep them from evil."

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Just as Lot was taken from sodom
Just as noah was taken into the ark
Gods people will be spared His wrath.

The study of the jewish wedding feast is in order here

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
But it doesn't mean there will exactly be a rapture.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join