It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Doctors call for long pointed kitchen knives to be banned in UK.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I can't believe this argument has gone this far....It's preposterous....

To think that such a vaguely descript proposition can create such a heated flurry of opposition...."long pointed knives"....
.....Next it'll be "big round things with tiny holes in them"

If your "long pointy kitchen knives" are something you treasure, then hide them before someone stabs you in the back with them....Hell - I've got to hide mine just so my father doesn't go out and use it for yard work....

I wonder what the "one fat lady" would have to say about this?! It needs more butter Jennifer!!

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Yes you cant legistate those things BUT you can stop the numbers, the number of people killed by weapons will go down if their illegal. How? Because there are no more of those weapons ready to use.
Also of the population of britain see no point in makeing a weapon if you can buy one down the local shop.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
(sigh) You win ... Wrong, but you outlasted me. No patience for silly arguments, that's Monty Python's department.

Like Enron said ...

To think that such a vaguely descript proposition can create such a heated flurry of opposition...."long pointed knives".........Next it'll be "big round things with tiny holes in them"

Beware the big round things with tiny holes in them.....

[edit on 3-6-2005 by sigung86]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86

The Okinawans took their already native art, simply called "Té", (pronounced "tay") or "hand" and began to teach....

The Okinawans combined the native art called "Té" and significant portions of what we now call Kung fu along with some of the various attributes of the Japanese "Jitsu" styles. They trained mightily, and began to develop simple weapons out of their daily implements. And so, was born what was called "Karaté", or "China Hand" in deference to the Chinese culture which had contributed so much of the art that they took in.

this is off topic, but for posterity i would like to point out that 'kara' is 'empty'. i believe it's 'empty hand', much like karaoke is 'empty orchestra'('oke' is a japanized version of orchestra).

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

(sigh) You win ... Wrong, but you outlasted me. No patience for silly arguments, that's Monty Python's department.

Silly arguements?
You mean the arguement over if you could help stop someone being killed.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

this is off topic, but for posterity i would like to point out that 'kara' is 'empty'. i believe it's 'empty hand', much like karaoke is 'empty orchestra'('oke' is a japanized version of orchestra).

For a more truthful and concise posterity, the homonym kanji for the word "Kara" meaning "Tang" or "China" was changed by Master Funakoshi Gichen in the late twenties - early thirties to the homonym kanji for "Kara" meaning "empty". At that particular juncture in history, "China Hand" became "Empty Hand".

This was done for purposes of nationalism, in that Funakoshi felt that the art would be better received in Japan, where he was trying to expand it from Okinawa if China, which was Japan's enemy, wasn't part of the title. Thus Karaté, "China Hand", became Karaté, "Empty Hand".
Source: Karate Do Kyohan, by Funakoshi Gichen.

Karate was a recent import to Japan only in the thirties. It had little to no exposure in Japan prior to that engendered by Funakoshi taking it to Japan and exposing it with a tremendous effort and assistance by well known, and respected Jiu-Jitsu and Judo Masters. Actually many of his early demonstrations and training sessions were carried out in the Kodokan (National Judo School for want of a better term, off hand). Sorry, I didn't mean to leave that part unresolved in my initial post and sorry to the Mods for an inadvertent attempt to comandeer a topical thread.

Thanks for the opportunity to clear that up, and if I can be of any further assistance, please u2u me.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Thanks for the opportunity to clear that up, and if I can be of any further assistance, please u2u me.

great reply! let's develop the karate tomato-slicing technique together, daijobe? we may need it soon, if devilwasp gets his way.
omoishiroi, desu ne?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

great reply! let's develop the karate tomato-slicing technique together, daijobe? we may need it soon, if devilwasp gets his way.
omoishiroi, desu ne?

Sorry BillyBob! Ya got me! I don't speak Japanese... I actually do American Kenpo, and Xingyi (Chinese Internal).... But I've been in the arts for about 43 years, and so have some acquaintance with the history.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join