It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Doctors call for long pointed kitchen knives to be banned in UK.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You don't understand, little by little they're eating away at our basic civil rights and everyone is just rolling over and letting it happen. first this, then that and next minute it will all be over.. What's worst is that we will all be loving it and won't complain one bit.Here in the UK they won against hunting foxes, now they are trying to ban fishing.
They've already banned handguns and semi-automatic weapons, but guncrime has risen dramatically. Mainly because the majority of gun crime has been and always will be done with illegal unregistered firearms in the first place.

Here, it is now illegal to smack your own child - this is because doo-gooders think that this will stop child abuse. Morons...

HELLO!!! Child abuse was always illegal in the first place, if someone was going to kick the hell out of their kid before, they arn't going to stop now you can't smack them. It was illegal then anyway and it is now. Now all we have is a bunch of out of control brats running around and no-one can do anything about it.

Too many people are too stupid and too nammy pammy to really see what is happening. Regardless of wherever there is a NWO or some big master plan, these things are happening and the outcome will be all bad. If it's not a planned NWO, then it is just a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Now they are trying also to ban buying crossbows, knives, swords etc, especially off eBay and such like. idiots, if a nutter is going to go out and attack people he's going to do it anyway. Most of the swords on eBay are crud anyway. You're probably better off getting attacked with that then a decent garden axe or something.

PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM!

NOTHING will be solved by these actions.

PEOPLE are just scared of the TRUTH!! They always have been and always be nutters out there and people will always get pushed over the edge sometimes. Banning stuff will NEVER solve it. People have killed each other and animals very effiecently for years, ever since we used our hand and went onto rocks and sticks. PERIOD.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
DW
That very same argument was used to criminalize marijuana.

It didn't hold water then, it doesn't hold water now.

"They know what's best for us, they have the best intentions, they are only thinking of what's best for us, they know best, obey, obey, obey."

It's not just the knives..it's the principle of the thing.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
People should be worrying about REAL problems like the enviroment, earthquake predictions, ecology, sorting out the various messes we have created around the world like New Zealand.
Thinking about what the hell we're going to do when all these densly populated areas are flooded due to rising sea levels, or destroyed because they are on a fault line.
Worrying about what we're going to do with all the nuclear waste and how we're going to supply our power and fuel our transport vehicles like lorries, cars, planes, trains, buses etc when all the fossil fuels run out... soon..

Worrying about the long term effects of all the RF and EM energy around our heads from the Mobile phones and their masts, Electrical cables, TETRA, Microwave links, etc.

Worrying about what the hell society is goingto be like in a few years now there are no realistic ways to discipline kids and to punish offenders.

blah blah blah...

we shouldn't be worrying about banning kitchen knives because they're pointy. get some perspective.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

You know what, listen to people that save lives for a liveing, know what damage these weapons do

I just wanna post this little section of my previous post again

The end reslut is you have a 0.0007% chance of dying by some sort of knife. And even a smaller chance of being killed by a kitchen knife.

See that DW...0.0007% chance of death by knife....now think of how much lower the percent is of dying by a kitchen knife...allot lower

I think you should be worrying about other things like....sports, yes sports. there are more sport related deaths than deaths invloving knives in America.

That is fact.....read my previous few post, I back it all up with facts....

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
as has been repeatibly stated. BANNING EVEN LARGE KITCHEN UTINSLES aka KNIVES WILL NOT STOP PEOPLE GETTING KILLED. give me ANY item and i will find a way to use it to kill someone. even the argument that "large knives arn't needed" is pure bunk. they may not be needed in a kitchen where "just heat up and serve meals" are typicaly utilized. but some people actualy make food from scratch. when my parrents still lived with me they would typicaly go out and buy large roasts, they would bring them home and cut them into smaller roasts and steaks. (man i wish i knew meat enough to do that). they saved a mall fourtune doing that. guess what? a 12" knife wan't even big enough to utilize propperly. so it seems that there is a NEED for large knives after all.

my father also used to have a friend that had a hobby farm. we got a lot of poultry from him. the chickens that we got from him were typical in size to the large turkeys that you buy in a store. the turkeys MY GOD. we had one that was arround 60 lbs once. i had to clean the damm thing as my mother could not even lift it and dad was out getting some forgotten ingreadiants. i could not even use the sing to do it i had to use the bathtub. even then it took up about 1/3 of it (thank goodness for those removeable shower heads
). trust me we REALY NEEDED A BIGGER KNIFE THEN WE HAD for that bird. it was actualy amuseing to see dad try to figure out how to cook that one
he thought he was gonna have to cut it in half, but luckily he was able to squeeze it in to the roaster oven and use tinfoil to raise the lid about 10 ".

any way the ability to own large knives does not cause murder and removeing the right to own them will not even slow down the murder rate one bit. just as gun ownerhip bans have not even lowwered the rate of gun crimes. or that not alowing the propper disiplen of children has done anything to curtail child abuse. in order to cure a person of sickness you must cure the ailment. just treating the symptoms is pointless. SAME THING.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

You know what, listen to people that save lives for a liveing, know what damage these weapons do

I just wanna post this little section of my previous post again

The end reslut is you have a 0.0007% chance of dying by some sort of knife. And even a smaller chance of being killed by a kitchen knife.

See that DW...0.0007% chance of death by knife....now think of how much lower the percent is of dying by a kitchen knife...allot lower

I think you should be worrying about other things like....sports, yes sports. there are more sport related deaths than deaths invloving knives in America.

That is fact.....read my previous few post, I back it all up with facts....

Is the UK america?
No....
In edinburgh from 2000- 2004 knife crime increased by 50% , from 283 to 430.
West lothian knife crime increased by 87% between 1999 and 2004.
Overall the entire country of scotland has seen a 10% increase from 4805 in 1999 to 5276 in 2003.
Tell me is that a safe society?

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
DW
That very same argument was used to criminalize marijuana.

Is it?
I thought the arugment was that drugs hurt you....but heh, believe what you want.

It didn't hold water then, it doesn't hold water now.

To who?
Me ?
You?

"They know what's best for us, they have the best intentions, they are only thinking of what's best for us, they know best, obey, obey, obey."

It's not just the knives..it's the principle of the thing.

If you seriosly think thats what the message is then mabye you should wake up.
If you really care about your safety, do some research and decide for your self if its safe for you.

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I just figured this one out.

I've got a few of these knives, since I believe that one is not human if one does not grow and prepare one's own food.

I looked in my Chef supplies catalog- my knife is in there.

OMG ITS FRENCH!

Not to worry. There's plenty of flint in England

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Overall the entire country of scotland has seen a 10% increase from 4805 in 1999 to 5276 in 2003.
Tell me is that a safe society?

There are 5 million people in Scotland, give or take. So that means one person in 100k suffers a knife attack living in scotland. Sounds reasonable to me, and I'm scottish.
My aunt and uncle have lived on the same farm for twenty years or so, and have never been attacked with a knife. Maybe the cities are the problem, not the knives? Ban cities, you have my support, what are you waiting for? Oh, you like cities? Well too bad, I like knives.

If you seriosly think thats what the message is then mabye you should wake up.
If you really care about your safety, do some research and decide for your self if its safe for you.

Don't resort to that..we're having a discussion here...

I care more about good sushi and bone crackers than I do about 1 in 100k humans...

What does that tell you about my perspective on this issue?

I'm perfectly awake, and I'm very comfortable with my level of safety, due in no small part to decisions I've made in my own life. The government doesn't need to defend me against my fellow citizens, and it has never had to defend my fellow citizens against me - and it's for that reason that the state has so little relevance to my existence. So, when the state comes into my kitchen and starts legislating my COOKWARE, I don't rely on that entity for support, and I don't have any respect for its logic, so it will have to scare me (using prison) into obeying. And that's terrorism.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Scotch On The Rocks

So, when the state comes into my kitchen and starts legislating my COOKWARE, I don't rely on that entity for support, and I don't have any respect for its logic, so it will have to scare me (using prison) into obeying.

Dare I say it? Fair dinkum!

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get any more Scottish than that, friend.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have pondered for a couple days how to post on this subject and I think I have summed up my feelings on the subject pretty well..........

This has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of in my entire life.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
If long pointy kitchen knives are outlawed, only outlaws will have long pointy kitchen knives...

Perhaps this could inspire culinary vocation vice recidivism, but having dined extensively in the U.K., most likely not.

Cordon Bleu Monkeys, not just for "Michelin Stars" anymore...

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Yes those long pointy knives.... they are called vegetable knives. If one intends to cut large amounts of vegetables quickly and safelly they are the only way to go.

Also funny thing... did your gun crime go down when you banned those? Oh what I couldn't hear you was that a NO? that's right nope!

And now you can't kill a home invader only hurt the minimum possible until the police arrive....

Now what are you going to do when a home invader comes in armed with your kitchen knife stolen a week before the ban goes into effect? hope you know how to not kill someone with a fire poker

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
For some folks, I think the point is being missed.

All silliness aside, you must look a the whole progression of stupid rules that are coming about. Here is a short list of rules or possible rules (long pointed knife), and I'm sure that others can easily be added to the list.

- Christmas trees and the word "Christ" is bad at Christmas time, because it "forces someone to believe a certain way, and therefore is unconstitutional." What, hello, I never forced anyone to look at my Christmas tree. I look at Hanakaa stuff in the holiday season, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Let Jewish people have Hanakaa, fine with me.
- This is something my nephews brought home from school. (piece of paper) My brother and his wife can go to jail (or something ridculous) for letting their kids ride on a lawnmower on my dad's lap. What? Dad, I'm sure is being safe with the kids, he's not running around in high gear with the blades on.
- Long pointed knives, and I'm sure the list of ridiculous rules goes on and on around the world.

You can't "sterilize" the entirety of life, and run around covered in bubble wrap your whole life in fear of getting hurt. What if I wanted to go skydiving, but I can't because somebody made a rule, "no skydiving," because I might die. Yeah I might also die from getting hit by lighting or tons of other possibilities just going normally through life. Banning long pointed knives, how many lives is that actually going to save? Maybe the guy who lives in a "Nerf" house who had one long pointed kitchen knife and nothing else that could be used to kill someone else. But he had to get rid of it, because of the new law. The psycho bent on killing, might brab a bat or something else. He could grab this very monitor I am staring at and bash my brains in with it.

I'm not so sure this is about "saving lives", or "war on terror," or "unconstitutional," or whatever excuse is used. It may be about complete controll. I could be wrong, but I have never seen such rules in succession. (all recent stuff)

I feel like are watching a parade of nonsense go by, and at the end, we have no freedom.

Troy

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
in a way it's kind of like the "you mut wear a seatbelt" laws. now personaly i ALWAYS wear mine unles i'm driveing a customer's car into the shop. you get in big truble if you get a custumer's seatbelt greasy. it was even amuseing when i had a custumer's brakeline burst while driveing it ito the shop. it took 5 minutess to calm my doctor down from the you must wear a seatbelt rant
. but i degress.

sure every one KNOWS that wearing a seatbelt MAY save your life. but why should people not be alowed to make up their own minds. i PERSONALY knew 4 people who died needlessly BECAUSE they were all wearing seatbelts. their car rolled in the middle of nowhere. they were knocked unconcious and ended up supended upside down untill they all died. the cop even admitted that if even one had not been waring a seatbelt that there wa a very good chance they would have all survived.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Is the UK america?

No

Instead of taking kitchen knives away from law abiding citizens why not enforce tougher punishment for such crimes? You seem to blame the problem on the knive, when in fact it's the criminals and YOUR governmets fault.

Here's the way I see it. It's the governments fault!! why? hell look, you said it yourself....50%, wow!!! YOUR government seems to be slacking off, the only other logical explanation is that Edinburgh's population has doubled..and I highly doubt that. No, im not taken away blame from the criminals...they are the ones directly to blame.

Same thing I said about Edinburgh applies to this.

DW, Just a little note for you, crime in America has decreased alot the past 4 years. And if you do the math and percentages (according to the stats provided bt you)....crime is alot worse in the UK. For someone who is quick to blame and to point out the flaws of my goverment (The US. not that right or wrong and there are many flaws) you blame the flaws of your government and your nations high knife crime, on a kitchen knife.....how lame is that.

DW, I have researched and I have decided that it is safe for me to own large kitchen knives.....I guess you think otherwise about yourself?

[edit on 29/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   

There are 5 million people in Scotland, give or take. So that means one person in 100k suffers a knife attack living in scotland. Sounds reasonable to me, and I'm scottish.
My aunt and uncle have lived on the same farm for twenty years or so, and have never been attacked with a knife. Maybe the cities are the problem, not the knives? Ban cities, you have my support, what are you waiting for? Oh, you like cities? Well too bad, I like knives.

So 1 person in 100k is "acceptable"?
If your scottish then you know how bad the NED problem is and how likely everyone of them is to own and carry a knife.

Don't resort to that..we're having a discussion here...

I care more about good sushi and bone crackers than I do about 1 in 100k humans...

What does that tell you about my perspective on this issue?

That you care not that one person in every 100k could be killed.

I'm perfectly awake, and I'm very comfortable with my level of safety, due in no small part to decisions I've made in my own life. The government doesn't need to defend me against my fellow citizens, and it has never had to defend my fellow citizens against me - and it's for that reason that the state has so little relevance to my existence. So, when the state comes into my kitchen and starts legislating my COOKWARE, I don't rely on that entity for support, and I don't have any respect for its logic, so it will have to scare me (using prison) into obeying. And that's terrorism.

Your comfetalbe that half of the homicides in scotland are caused by knifes?
Happy that glasgow alone has highest murder rate in britiain?
Happy that for every million people, 57 people are killed?

Originally posted by Sugarlump
Yes those long pointy knives.... they are called vegetable knives. If one intends to cut large amounts of vegetables quickly and safelly they are the only way to go.

Yes there is only one way, use a knife, not one half the size of your arm.
Tell me, do you use a machete to peel your onions?
I dont...

Also funny thing... did your gun crime go down when you banned those? Oh what I couldn't hear you was that a NO? that's right nope!

Yeah it also managed to stop another dunblane from happening.
Tell me, do you like hearing that children are being killed by "tools" ?
Do you like the fact that those children where killed by "tools"?

And now you can't kill a home invader only hurt the minimum possible until the police arrive....

Really?
Take it you have never read the self defence law then?

"It is both good law and good sense that a man who is attacked may defend himself. It is both good law and good sense that he may do, but only do, what is reasonably necessary."

Now what are you going to do when a home invader comes in armed with your kitchen knife stolen a week before the ban goes into effect? hope you know how to not kill someone with a fire poker

No you dont need to kill, there are plenty of other knifes.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
No

Then you need not use american statistics.

Instead of taking kitchen knives away from law abiding citizens why not enforce tougher punishment for such crimes? You seem to blame the problem on the knive, when in fact it's the criminals and YOUR governmets fault.

Oh really is several years in prison not "harsh enough" , is life in prison for murder not "harsh enough" ?
Tell me what is "harsh enough"?

Here's the way I see it. It's the governments fault!! why? hell look, you said it yourself....50%, wow!!! YOUR government seems to be slacking off, the only other logical explanation is that Edinburgh's population has doubled..and I highly doubt that. No, im not taken away blame from the criminals...they are the ones directly to blame.

The governments fault now is it?
Now look who's scapegoating.
The government has tried to put more police on the street, tried to enforce harsher laws but GUESS WHAT?
It hasnt helped.

Same thing I said about Edinburgh applies to this.

So its the governments fault that its citizens are walking around with knifes killing each other?

DW, Just a little note for you, crime in America has decreased alot the past 4 years. And if you do the math and percentages (according to the stats provided bt you)....crime is alot worse in the UK. For someone who is quick to blame and to point out the flaws of my goverment (The US. not that right or wrong and there are many flaws) you blame the flaws of your government and your nations high knife crime, on a kitchen knife.....how lame is that.

I point out things that america has done, not things a knife and one of citizens has done.
Also american statistics are no use in comparision, why?
Diffrent culture, size, government and people.
I blame the high knife crime rates on guess what?
The knifes and the people who commit the crimes.

DW, I have researched and I have decided that it is safe for me to own large kitchen knives.....I guess you think otherwise about yourself?
[edit on 29/5/2005 by SportyMB]

I think its safe for me to own one, I know I wont use one but.. is it safe for the person next door to own one?
Yes he is a police officer, is it safe for half the NED's on the streets to own one?
Not in my opinion.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
NO offense intended ... I don't think, but DevilWasp... Your desire to have everyone's life controlled by the government, just to make it safer for you is kind of, frankly, strange.

But, what the Hell do I know. I've always kind of tended to be personally responsible for my actions and willing to accept the penalties and rewards of my good, and not so good choices. I'd rather it that way than to have someone sitting in a room somewhere called "government" making his choices for how I should live my life.

I, like Majic, love England, and the "Brits". So, you have to understand, not accept, but try to understand, my frustration at watching you try to wimp out and sell out for safety and governmental absolution and removal of personal responsibility.

I don't want to convince you otherwise, I just can't help but wonder where and when it will stop. Orwell's 1984 wasn' t necessarily a result of an evil government, but more than likely, from what I can discern of people, British, American, Armenian, Greek, whatever, and their modern propensity for letting someone else (the government) make their choices for them.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

The governments fault now is it?
Now look who's scapegoating.

DW..as can can clearly read I do say,

im not taken away blame from the criminals...they are the ones directly to blame.

and

when in fact it's the criminals and YOUR governmets fault.

I was not implying that the goverment is directly responsible, I am saying that the government has the obligation and responsibity to ensure the safety of it's citizens while ensureing thier rights at the same time.....and yes in a way the Gov't is responsible and to blame.

Oh really is several years in prison not "harsh enough" , is life in prison for murder not "harsh enough" ?

Don't pull that crap on me boy, yeah people that committ murder may get Life in prison. But people who hold people up and commit violent acts using knives do not get that...they get jail time, even in the UK.
That's a whole other issue though.

So its the governments fault that its citizens are walking around with knifes killing each other?

NO it is not...it's the governments fault that these repeat offenders are let back on the streets.

I blame the high knife crime rates on guess what?
The knifes and the people who commit the crimes.

I blame the people too, but I don't blame the knife.
Again I will go back to stupid analogies.....If I get a baseball bat and beat someone up...is it the bat's fault...no, it is my fault......and If I am a reapeat offender then it is the governments fault for letting me back on the streets.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
NO offense intended ... I don't think, but DevilWasp... Your desire to have everyone's life controlled by the government, just to make it safer for you is kind of, frankly, strange.

Am I saying that?
No, I am saying that allowing knifes almost the size a machete to be bought by anyone, is insane.
You do not allow certain people to own guns, why? Because they are a danger to society, but they can own a knife?

But, what the Hell do I know. I've always kind of tended to be personally responsible for my actions and willing to accept the penalties and rewards of my good, and not so good choices. I'd rather it that way than to have someone sitting in a room somewhere called "government" making his choices for how I should live my life.

That is not what this government is trying to do...

I, like Majic, love England, and the "Brits". So, you have to understand, not accept, but try to understand, my frustration at watching you try to wimp out and sell out for safety and governmental absolution and removal of personal responsibility.

No I cant understand why you think its "wimping out".
Government absolution?
Its removeing a threat to society, a knife half the size of my arm , tell me do you feel safe knowing a cirminal next door or even just a person you dont like next door owns a knife like that?
Its not removeing personal responsibility, its about showing personal and social responsiblity.

These knifes if really needed could be introduced with a license scheme, but to allow these kind of knifes to anyone is rather tooo dangerous.
Oh and BTW, you cant love me, I am not english.

I don't want to convince you otherwise, I just can't help but wonder where and when it will stop. Orwell's 1984 wasn' t necessarily a result of an evil government, but more than likely, from what I can discern of people, British, American, Armenian, Greek, whatever, and their modern propensity for letting someone else (the government) make their choices for them.

A knife will not stop your government, no matter what you think.
A gun might but a knife no, if the government wanted to turn into a dictatorship they could do so easily.
How do I know this?
The American and british people have nethier the weapons nor the training to stop the military.
The one flaw in this plan?
The military is made up of people, these people though loyal to thier Comander, are people.
They know what is right and wrong and will not let thier country turn into a dictatorship.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join