It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Doctors call for long pointed kitchen knives to be banned in UK.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Doctors are calling for long pointed kitchen knives to be banned in the UK. Apparantly a lot of murders/attempted murders in the home are commited with these knives, so doctors are calling for them to be banned.

news.bbc.co.uk
A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.
A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Absolutely ridiculous, what are they thinking?
A few months ago when they were calling to ban hunting/combat knives we joked that this would happen and now it is.
The problem is with the people, not the weapon wherever it be a gun, knife, hammer, pick, brick, chisel, etc!

From reading this I guess that a short knife won't kill? Emm ok then... This is just another ridiculous step into a nammy pammy society where no-one has any freedoms - queue Demolition Man world!!

Related News Links:
uk.news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Oh, I see just get rid of anthing that can be used to kill.

What about my bare hands? When people start getting choaked to death are they going to start wanting hand to be banned.

Thats about how silly this is. Knives dont kill people, people kill people.

[edit on 27-5-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I was wondering if someone was going to post this.

And so it starts. The slavery of a nation. Take the citizen's firearms, that doesn't stop crime so take away knives.

These doctors are puppets .

Roper

PS. Coming to a country near you!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
How ironic.

NHS food 'needs Oliver treatment'

Junior doctors are calling on celebrity chef Jamie Oliver to repeat his success with school dinners and lead a campaign to improve food in hospitals.
During their annual conference in London, delegates approved a motion calling on the British Medical Association (BMA) to ask him for help.

Junior Doctors Committee chairman Dr Simon Eccles warned poor hospital food was slowing patients' recoveries.

BBC

If this request for Jamie Oliver to overhaul the standard of hospital food comes to fruition, i'm sure the food would be prepared with a very sharp kitchen knife. Perhaps for the unfortunate victim of a kitchen knife stabbing.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Edit: derogatory comment removed.

[edit on 27-5-2005 by TheBandit795]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
So what axes, nail files, needles, and skewers – what next? Priceless I just love it!!!! Don’t worry about removing the cause of violence just remove the implement. No wonder the world is going down the tube.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
As a UK citizen I think this is a sensible option, there are a few knives in my home that we NEVER would use on anything short of killing a bear.

There's a knife in my house with a blade almost as long as my wrist and just as thick, tell me, what in gods name are you going to cut with THAT??

I laugh at the slavery part, people seem to remember that the gov needs the military to stay in control, the military is made up of people not machines but people , try and remember this.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

the military is made up of people not machines but people , try and remember this.

The people together make the machine. Much like all the cells in your body that make you a human.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Edit: also removed

Thanks for backing me up devilwasp:

Originally posted by devilwasp

As a UK citizen I think this is a sensible option

[edit on 27-5-2005 by TheBandit795]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

There's a knife in my house with a blade almost as long as my wrist and just as thick, tell me, what in gods name are you going to cut with THAT??

Are you a vegetarion? Hmm maybe meat....Novel concept huh.
Stick to the veggies kid

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
What are they going to do next, wrap me in bubble wrap and ask me not to go near anything sharp!

People need to remember that a knife is but a tool of the person, no person, no danger, hell a tooth pick is a weapon if used right.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Knives, you just know they lay there, all by themselves, debating when they shall leap forth, and impale themselves in the hapless victims body, as guns, inanimate, lacking life, suddenly arise from there slumber, taking aim as if they've become human, firing to kill, then resting once again on tabletop, having been touched by no man.....amazing, and I predict the swinging club, the baseball bat, to stand erect, begin to circle violently upon it's own, to connect with the head of the poor man, then said bat, of it's own accord shall stand itself in the corner as though nothing did occur.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
You do relise that even though they are a machine they are still people, the military is still made up of people.
If the people are unwilling to pull the trigger then no one will be killed.
The machine is destroyed.

Oh and DJ, nice personal insult....mabye next time when you've graduated primary school we can have a chat...

Sporty, unless your planning on skinning a bear there's no need for a kninfe that size.....

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Im not sure what you are arguing, you want to fill the army with people that will not shoot?

In my statment before, I said that people make up the machine, like your cells make you.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Im not sure what you are arguing, you want to fill the army with people that will not shoot?

The fact is that you order the people in the machine to do something they KNOW is wrong, they wont do it.

In my statment before, I said that people make up the machine, like your cells make you.

Yeah but cells dont have free will...

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
People do stuff all day long that they know is wrong. People in the armed forces kill people that are not in the armed forces. ALOT of people in iraq are still being killed and have no reason to be being killed.

I would say the people have as much Free will as the cells. Everything being equal.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I almost didn't read this thinking it was a joke --

We will be using a knife like that tomorrow to split some lobsters. I've also used it for other things too numerous to list. I'm just sitting here shaking my head at this. Next they will want to ban all string because you could strangle someone -- or plastic garbage bags because you could put it over someone's head and smother them -- then we better do away with cars because so many people are killed by them each year. Geeze..........

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

People do stuff all day long that they know is wrong. People in the armed forces kill people that are not in the armed forces. ALOT of people in iraq are still being killed and have no reason to be being killed.

They dont remove people's rights for no reason though.
They kill people who are trying to kill them BTW.
Yeah those people killed in iraq are people with guns and bombs, we're not executeing people nowadays.

I would say the people have as much Free will as the cells. Everything being equal.

I wouldnt....I can go anywhere I please just about, a cell cant.

Can I ask when is it ok to stop BTW?
If we cant ban these then why should we ban guns?
Or tanks?
They can ALL be used for another purpose....

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I think this has gone too far. Yes, some kitchen knives can be used as dangerous wepons, but as many pointed out, so can many other household implements. A long and sharp screwdriver can easily be worse. Hammer has also been mentioned.

I understand the dilemma, but to dictate a change in the size and shape of a traditional, millenia old cooking aid is beyond bizzare.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Not everyone that has died in Iraq, or even here for that matter, was shooting or tring to kill the for forces.

But, you can get rid of all of the tihings in your life that might be able to kill you, I dont care. Your life is going to suck when you get done.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join