It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers going from Humvees to Minivans in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

edmunds
The U.S. Armed Forces have ordered 19,000 minivans and 5,000 Pacificas from the Chrysler Group for use as light-duty vehicles in Iraq and elsewhere around the world, displacing less fuel-efficient Humvees, according to the Windsor Star.

The switch to the gas-powered school-carpool mainstays is designed to reduce fuel consumption and improve passenger-carrying ability. The U.S. military has complained it is inefficient to use Humvees to carry a few soldiers at a time, especially in noncombat situations.

Uhhh yeah.
I'm sure soldiers and contractors will feel really safe driving around Iraq in Minivans when even their Humvees can't hold up to the insurgents.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

The U.S. military has complained it is inefficient to use Humvees to carry a few soldiers at a time, especially in noncombat situations.

will mostly be used in NON Combat... I think its a good idea...

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Screw fuel consumption!! If I'm a soldier I'm thinking less RPG consumption.

And the beat goes on......................

Peace

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
If it were me in a way id almost feel safer in the van, Humvees, scream Look at me im American soldier, blow me up

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

"The U.S. government has put their down payment on the vehicles and we're building them already," a plant source told the Star. "They're supposed to be going to Iraq as taxis and stuff."

That's weird...US military running the taxis...

And why do they need to conserve fuel in Iraq of all places. Better do that back home or in peace zones.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
What was the price of fuel delivered to the combat zone? Somebody quoted $400 per gallon. For all intents, the "combat zone" includes all of Iraq. It probably costs a few grand to carry 3 soldiers to and from duty, in one day.

Aaarrggghhh.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Aelita]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

The U.S. military has complained it is inefficient to use Humvees to carry a few soldiers at a time, especially in noncombat situations.

will mostly be used in NON Combat... I think its a good idea...

Not mostly. Especially. Different words, different meanings.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
blame it on the environmentalists who complained about humvees that consume too much gas and suggest using more efficient vehicles with less protection.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Yes, I'm quite sure that eviromentalists had a hand in this endevour, the same eviromentalists that are wholly disregarded when it comes to reducing green house effects by the United States Goverment.

Regardless of the situation these vehicles may be used in, it should be noted that this is an insurgency that has been indiscriminate in it's tactics and victoms, placing soldiers in a minivan is just a big X.

Deep

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I'm sure soldiers and contractors will feel really safe driving around Iraq in Minivans when even their Humvees can't hold up to the insurgents.

The article notes its for general military use around the world, and that htis obviously includes iraq.

If they send people into combat zones or danger zones in reuglar cars, agreed, that would be clearly, undeniably, stupid and negligent.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Heard on the news this evening that the military has 3 dozen of these in Iraq already and ordering 50 more.

Here's one link to the story.

The soldiers that operate these "HUMMERS on steroids" said they feel 100% safe in them.

Soldiers that are following in Hummers feel more at calm and are confident in the Buffalo's capabilities.

EDIT: The link isn't a link to the news story I heard. It's just a link to the vehicle that's being ordered by the military, with specs and all.

[edit on 25/5/05 by Intelearthling]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Either way there going to explode.

Hey Osama
Ya?
They got minivans! What are we going to do?
We will have to blend in... Who has a minivan?
My mom!---Ya, my mom to...---same---Ah; My mom...

Immagine: Miniguns on Minivans. We can call them the new M&Ms.

new topics

top topics

join