It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Star Wars III Anti-Bush?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
check out this link, does it have any relevance on what some people are getting from star wars regarding the bush administration.............

www.abovetopsecret.com...

yes very hard to see the dark side is, much to ponder have we if we are to stop the dark one in time............ (bad yoda impression, I know, lol)

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Anyone who's claiming this trilogy has ANYTHING to do with Bush obviously isnt a Star Wars fan...yes...ill admit it...im a HUGE Star Wars fan....have been since my early years (Im 25 now)...and this back story...these prequel movies...have been in concept mode since before I was in High School (I graduated before Bush was elected by a few monthes)...please leave current politics and Bush bashing and this movie 2 seperate issues...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have one question...

Does the right wing feel guilty? Is this paranoia I am smelling?

I don't think Lucas saw into the future in the 70's. After all, this whole series was ultimately envisioned in the 70's. His thoughts for this series was formed in that time frame. I am pretty sure he conceived how Anakin's turn was going to happen. I am sure of the Senate and the Chancellor being thought of in the 70's.

Why? Because he decided to do EPISODE IV FIRST! That means he had storylines thought up for the first three. Do you think he just got drunk when he did the opening credits? Accidentally added a "V" after "I"...then ran out of money to fix it...?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
OXmanK

exactly This was written years before there was ANY bush in the white house, and he has the downfall in the republic from countless historical precedents, like I said I'm not sure who started this whole star wars/bush angle but like I posted above in my example if nobody is pointing fingers or naming names and you automatically think this reminds you of a certain somebody..........

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Nah, the NWO is nothing like what happens to the Republic....

Right Emperor Cheney?

"heh heh heh heh...."

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Indeed Gazrok.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
From the SW aspect of this, I did see an interview recently where Lucas was asked about the similarities with the current political situation. He stated that the story had nothing to do with any actual president, but rather it was the way that all democracies end.

Now similarities to that are a different story...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, historically, he's correct....

Not to mention, true fans know that this was of course the story as seen on the screen in the 70's. We all know the Senate is dissolved by the Emperor....this takes place as one of the first scenes in the first movie...when Leia threatens to go to the Senate, and is then informed it is no more....

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
www.elitestv.com...

I don't know about the credibility of this website, but I read this quote on Yahoo this morning and now I can't find it in Yahoo form (Yahoo memory hole again?)

Lucas says:

'The parallels between what we did in Vietnam and what we're doing in Iraq now are unbelievable. On the personal level it was how does a good person turn into a bad person, and part of the observation of that is that most bad people think they are good people, they are doing it for the right reasons,' he added.

So there it is: Iraq is similar to Vietnam, which was on his mind when he conceived the saga. I was seven years old in 1980 when Empire came out and the ending of Revenge of the Sith is exactly how it was told to us fans in 1980 (lava planet, duel with Obi-Wan, etc). Since Lucas had this moment in his mind way back then, I think we can assume that the major plot points were conceived by Lucas in the 1970's also.

I saw the movie last night and I can only say that it is awesomely dark. I believe without a doubt that it is intended as a sort of political comment, but not against a particular government. Lucas' vision is not that myopic. It's an excellent tale of how a few powerful people, acting in secret, can steal an entire government.

The best line is when Padme says, "Are you sure we're fighting for the right side?" That was the line that got me.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Actually ... the first guy to say "If you're not with me you're against me ", was Jesus ...as far as i know... so maybe Lukas is trying to compare DARTH VADER to Jesus ..?

Lukas is a Cientologist/Buddhist/ whatever else?? and he did say the name "JEDI" was a reference to JEWS...????

Star Wars - The Antichrist Force

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I have just seen the Movie, and I have to sleep on it.

But I just gotta love General Kenobi with his Wise Words!

General Kenobi's answer to already Darth Vader - Anakin statement: "If you're not with me, you're my enemy."

Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes!

General Indeed!

[edit on 19/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes!

Actually this may be the most telling quote from the movie from what I've heard. Star Wars has always dealt in absolutes, good against evil. Is Lucas changing the entire premise of the story here?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think Clone Army in this movie represents US Army.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm shocked no one picked up on this...

but Lucas is an openly Liberal guy...VERY Liberal.

He has also revealed that, in the first episode entitled "Phantom Menace" he named the leader of the evil trade federation after two of the GOPs biggest men. Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich.

Remember the Trade Federation's leader's name?

Nute Gunray

Gunray backwards = Raygun (Reagan)
Nute= newt

Supposedly there are other instances, but that was the only one Lucas admitted to.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Actually this may be the most telling quote from the movie from what I've heard. Star Wars has always dealt in absolutes, good against evil. Is Lucas changing the entire premise of the story here?

The true intention of Jedi is not to be overly good. It is intended to be utilitarian. The reason why they are against the Sith because it is pure greed. I.e. not for the whole. That is why the order failed and it perished. Because they too were dealing in absolutes when dealing with the Sith. Obi-Wan is the only one in the movies who ever realized it. (In fact, probably the only one who ever truly got it was Qui-Gon Jin.(sp))

Play Knights of the Old Republic II. That is a journey down the road Good vs. Evil...and the end is just what Obi-Wan said.

And besides, have you seen the movie yet? Cause so far it seems like you are quoting off some freeper magazine and haven't heard/seen it for yourself yet. It's only seven bucks...go see it.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Ok, well I finally saw it and I think the quotes Souljah said "If you're not with me, you're my enemy." "Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes!" are strangely out of place in the show, and may be planted to try to tie this to Bush...otherwise, I don't see any parallel to the story and Bush/War on Terror/etc. In the end, I think he may have tried to stick something in there, but people (on both sides) harping on this are probably trying to read too much into the story.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I have not seen yet, want to really really bad.
I have heard on the news recently people comparing GW bush to darth vader, wouldnt he be the emperor though?, and his right hand man(could be cheney) be vader?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I saw the movie today and it was fantastic. Just basically a classic good vs evil story, with evil winning in the end until its total defeat later on.

Subtle political hints in the film aside, I truly enjoyed it, as it was everything as I'd "foreseen" years ago.

Sometimes, the bad guys wins. Sometimes, the good guys wins. The balance of life, such is. Oooh, yes! *mimicking Yoda*

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Ok, well I finally saw it and I think the quotes Souljah said "If you're not with me, you're my enemy." "Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes!" are strangely out of place in the show, and may be planted to try to tie this to Bush...otherwise, I don't see any parallel to the story and Bush/War on Terror/etc. In the end, I think he may have tried to stick something in there, but people (on both sides) harping on this are probably trying to read too much into the story.

One thing I didn't see any real comparison from the RotS and the war on terror/Iraq: it's all about oil and the ability to control the energy resource, galaxy-wide.

The entire Star Wars saga is all about powers: the powers to do good against the powers to do evil.

Unless you wanted to make power a political commodity in the SW Galaxy's stock markets.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This just in off the AP wire.

"Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich" by William L. Shirer is being attacked by House Republicans due to anti-bush rhetoric.

www.amazon.com...

Seriously though, if all stories about republics falling into tyranny are anti-bush, we got a lot of book burning to do.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join