It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Star Wars III Anti-Bush?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
While I would agree that Bush is left-wing, I think you are mistaken dj if you intend to associate left-wingers with Democrats. Why o' why would democrats care about an anti-Bush move?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I don't mean to say Bush is left-wing...I don't think he is. But it's Senate Democrats, liberal groups such as moveon.org, plus some Europeans who seem to have started all this talk or are taking advantage of it.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Oh, I see, once again republicans aren't supposed to take responsibility for their actions. It's all the democrats fault. I got it. Good job.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Ahh, c'mon djohnsto77 - what are you whining about?

Its the republicans "at the controls" - not liberals!

And judging by your signature, you are one hardcore liberal hater.

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.

"Political debate with liberals is basically impossible in America because liberals are calling names while conservatives are trying to make arguments...It's really all the same lie [that liberals tell], that conservatives are either stupid or scarily weird and therefore you don't have to deal with their ideas."

"ANYTHING [liberals] CAN DO TO BRING DOWN CHRISTIANITY AND JUDAISM IS GOOD FOR THEM. BECAUSE THEIR MINDS ARE WARPED, BECAUSE LIBERALISM IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY, LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL DISORDER."

Talk about some anti-liberal quotes!

Now, when "you get the taste of your own medicine" in form of anti-bush quote in Star Wars Episode 3, its suddenly not "fair"?

PS: She would make a good Sith B|t*h!

[edit on 23/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
is ep.3 anti-bush?
the story was written like....30 years ago, as i recall lucas wrote the story for all 6 movies as a single movie and producers told him it was way too big. So he had to split it up. So unless lucas has fantastic foresight or we are reading to much into it. I will give you that is anti-totalitarian.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I'm confused as hell about this whole thing! Who cares if it is!? I am so sick of "groups" bashing movies because they don't fir in what they want them to fit into.....it's a damn movie for entertainment. Half of this country did not elect dubya into office and don't want him there......so if it was anti dubya it wouldn't surprise me....but as I stated.....it's a movie, get over it..
and as XphilesPhan said this story was written a long time ago......and even if it were.....are people to no noger be able write what they want...we now have to have aother telling us what we can make a movie about and what we can't! I don't see this much publicity again't fils that depict truely horrible things....
damn people!

[edit on 5/23/05 by LadyV]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
DJ! YOU ARE WRONG! THE GOP WERE THE FIRST TO SAY THE MOVIE WAS ANTI-BUSH!!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't Kerry, it wasn't Lucas, it was the GOP! The GOP said it was attacking Bush and tried to get the rating bumped to R instead of PG-13. I know being a republican means you have Grade +++A Blinders, but read this again....

THE GOP WERE THE FIRST TO ADMIT IT WAS ANTI-BUSH! Then everyone picked up on it.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure this first came up in Cannes, France...do you have a link that says otherwise?

Thanks

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well, besides CNN, Fox, MSNBC, and local news channels, not to mention NYT, NYP, WP, and Newsweek, I don't have any other sources.(sarcasm)

Conservative Senator Tom Delay was lacerating(sp?) Mr. Lucas over the film's perceived jabs at President Bush - as when Anakin Skywalker, on his way to becoming the evil Darth Vader, warns, "If you're not with me, you're my enemy," in an echo of Mr. Bush's post-9/11 ultimatum, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." Fox News

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This just in:
My ex-wife, who is the biggest Bu#e I've ever met, e-mailed me and said she'd just seen the movie and she thought it was the best of them all!

I'd say that pretty much settles it. A brainwashed Republican saw nothing but a great movie.

The weather, after a short commercial break.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
JTL,

The first people to see this and make comments about it being anti-Bush were the anti-Bush people at the Cannes. Some Republicans might have picked up on their statements, but that was before they even saw the movie themselves. The only thing I really question is that line "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy." I certainly don't buy that this line was in the script years and years ago.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy." I certainly don't buy that this line was in the script years and years ago.

It's a mute point, regardless....It's neither here nor there...

I mean, how many other movies share that exact same line?

Even if this remote and far-fetched idea had some inkling of truth, what would it change?

Nothing....

This is being glamorized like some modern day Leni Riefenstahl.....

Film is a medium of conveying thoughts and ideas.....

Roll credits....

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
So, I give you proof the republicans were the first to whine about the movie, you say frenchies were, but provide no proof..... So republican.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
So, I give you proof the republicans were the first to whine about the movie, you say frenchies were, but provide no proof..... So republican.

I have yet to see a link from you, you posted some stuff and cited many news organizations but provided no link that these statements predated Cannes.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
i'd say the quote is a deliberate shot at bush. good for lucas. he knows good and evil. he wrote 'star wars', you know. humanity as a whole has accepted this as a paradigm of the struggle between the dark side and the light side of 'the force'.
do you think the viewing public would respond to a jedi saying that? you're either with us, or you're with the terrorists. is that a democratic, mature, realistic thing to say? there is no one who sympathizes with both sides, or hates both sides, or is completely neutral? are we humans, or one-way switches?
only a sith deals in absolutes.

that may have been the best part of the movie for me, if i hadn't have read this thread. the bushes spoil one more joy in life. typical sith #.

[edit on 24-5-2005 by billybob]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What do you mean pre-dated the Cannes? You havn't posted anything about Cannes. No quotes, no nothing! Fine, the jews in Australia were the first to say it was anti-bush. I have no proof, no qoutes, never been on any news program or paper, just like you. You just keep saying they did, but show nothing.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Here's the first story I know of:

CANNES, France — Without Michael Moore and "Fahrenheit 9/11" at the Cannes Film Festival this time, it was left to George Lucas and "Star Wars" to pique European ire over the state of world relations and the United States' role in it.

Lucas' themes of democracy on the skids and a ruler preaching war to preserve the peace predate "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith" by almost 30 years. Yet viewers Sunday — and Lucas himself — noted similarities between the final chapter of his sci-fi saga and our own troubled times.

Cannes audiences made blunt comparisons between "Revenge of the Sith" — the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side and the rise of an emperor through warmongering — to President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq. (emphasis mine)

FOX

[edit on 5/24/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The only thing I really question is that line "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy." I certainly don't buy that this line was in the script years and years ago.

That line perfectly fits into the whole Star Wars idea, the difference between Jedi and Sith, the way how Anakin views everything and why he was actually a danger. He was always reacting emotionaly and somewhat in absolutes. He could never let go (remember what Yoda said, how he has to learn to do that), he was driven by emotions and by doing that it was likely he would deal in absolutes eventually. People were either his friends or his enemies. It is how he became who he is.
The ultimate choice in the end is logicaly his mentor. That is the whole POINT of the transformation. Man.... Bush doesn't own a copyright to that sentence. It was actually written millenia ago in a very famous book by a very famous author...

So people, get over yourselves and enjoy the movie.

It is Star Wars, for crying out loud!!
The Jedi!! Movies we grew up with!!
The Force, damnit!

You are so NOT going to ruin this for me with the anti-Bush paranoia craze.

Stop being so Sith-like

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
It is Star Wars, for crying out loud!!
The Jedi!! Movies we grew up with!!
The Force, damnit!

Hmmm, with You Force Strong is, I see!

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
has anyone ever thought that maybe the "message" isnt political but religious ??

is it a coincidence that Jedi = Jews, and Good vs Evil, and yoda claims that "prophecies can be wrong" ??? ect etc etc???

[edit on 24-5-2005 by BaastetNoir]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join