It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Carbon Nanotube Based X-ray Source Demonstrated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
A new instrument for X-ray imaging has been demonstrated by the University of North Carolina's physics department and an affiliated start-up company called Xintek. The new instrument could eventually supplant traditional X-ray imaging devices because of its smaller size and simplicity. The use of carbon nanotubes allows room temperature use.

lfw.pennnet.com
May 13, 2005, Chapel Hill, NC--Scientists at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a UNC start-up company, Xintek, have invented a new X-ray device based on carbon nanotubes that emits a scanning X-ray beam composed of multiple smaller beams while also remaining stationary.

The device can create images of objects from numerous angles and without mechanical motion, which is a distinct advantage for any machine since it increases imaging speed, can reduce the size of the device, and requires less maintenance. A report on the invention appears in the May 9 issue of Applied Physics Letters. The physicists already have received U.S. patents on elements of the work and expect more to be granted.

"This technology can lead to smaller and faster X-ray imaging systems for airport baggage screening and for tomographic medical imaging such as CT (computed tomography) scanners," said Dr. Otto Zhou, Lyle Jones distinguished professor of physics and materials sciences in UNC's College of Arts and Sciences. "We believe this is an important advance in X-ray technology, and we are extremely excited about it," Zhou said. "If it works as well as we think it will, other advantages will be that scanners will be cheaper, use less electricity and produce higher-resolution images."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet another use of carbon nanotubes. Hopefully, this will be produced commercially and improve the current state-of-the-art.

The first link below is a .pdf copy of the Applied Physics Letters paper referenced in the Laser Focus World Article. The Zhou group website is the second link, while the third link is to Xintek Inc.

Related News Links:
www.unc.edu
www.unc.edu
www.xintek.com

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Yes another use for Nano tubes. I really do hope it will work as well as they say it will. I have said before that I thin Nano tubes is the greatest invenchen in the last few decades or so, seems like that still holds true.
I wonder what else this new use for Nano tubes will lead to?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
A new Hydrogen sensor has just come on the market as well as high end sporting equipment. It seems that CNT's are taking the same development path as Plasics and Graphite.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
weren't there a number of environmetnal concerns about carbon nanostructures getting into the environment? Building up in concentration and becoming carcinogenic?

Now is the time to make sure there are no problems-not after making this an indispensable material (like oil) and building culture and infrastructure around it. I'd hate to see all this enthusiasm sweep the problems under the rug. If there are no problems found, then and only then being making nano-anything the panacea of our times.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
That was Buckyballs. They are water soluable and the "study" wasn't even peer reviewed. It was just a "preview" of a study. That's how the Hype wagon works unforunately. Toxicity studies are getting lots of funding these days, mostly because Companies are paranoid that thier discoveries might be held back due to litigation.

Infact they have already been able to engineer the Toxicity out of these molecules.

www.physorg.com...

That's whats so great about Nanotech. IF there is some flaw in the design it can be engineered out, that's what alot of these activists don't understand.

As for nanotubes remember Buckyballs and Tubes are very different molecules. They found that Nanotubes CAN interfere in the resperation of Rats not due to the toxicity but to the electrostatic effects that made them cling together inside thier airways. So that's a good thing as there is a good chance that if they are released into the environment they may just clump together making cleanup relatively simple.

Another bonus of this tech is that IF it gets released on-masse, alot of it will just bind to rock when it comes into contact with it.

So saying we know little about the negative effects is obvously wrong, you're just not looking hard enough.

[edit on 18-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
the tricorder is just years away...

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

Could you please exsplain what the tricorder is?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Golem

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

Could you please exsplain what the tricorder is?

A tricorder is a fictional device from Star Trek that could take readings remoting of any substance/lifeform in the Galaxy. It's small and compact.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 19-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Sardion,
ok thanks a lot, and those were pretty good pics also!
And some how I think that might be a bit more then a few year away

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Red Golem, Laz you're both wrong. The Tricorder has already been invented. The company which invented them(around the time the Next Generation came out like 2-3 season) no longer exists. It flopped with 1990s tech, with Nanotech I can see a new version coming out by the end of the decade.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Red Golem, Laz you're both wrong. The Tricorder has already been invented. The company which invented them(around the time the Next Generation came out like 2-3 season) no longer exists. It flopped with 1990s tech, with Nanotech I can see a new version coming out by the end of the decade.

Thanks for the info, but could you provide a link that might have the abilites of the one that floped?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I already gave the link

A real-world device comparable to the tricorder was developed by a Canadian company called the Vital Techologies Corporation in 1996. The scanner was called the TR-107 Mark 1; Vital Tech. sold 10,000 of them before going out of business. The TR-107 could scan EM radiation, temperature, and barometric pressure.

Software exists to make hand-held devices simulate a tricorder. Examples include Jeff Jetton's Tricorder - 2.0 for the PalmPilot and the "genuine Tricorder from Elegant Solutions" for the Pocket PC..

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Sardion
ok thanks, and sory I missed the link before.
Does sound like the tech is close but not quite to the level of the tricorder.

new topics

top topics

join