It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian held hostage in Iraq.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

On the tape, Mr Wood says that he has worked in Iraq for more than a year.
He says that he "has done many jobs with the American military" but it is not clear what sort of work he does.

Source
Link

A contractor perhaps?
I hope he will be released.

Sanc'

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Who cares. Right?

Another hostage. Another beheading. So "last year". Right? Nobody cares anymore than they care about whatever was the latest hit TV show in 2004.

Either this man:

A/ Deserves it for being in Iraq knowing the risks and working for a US company.
B/ Was just an innocent civilian doing his job helping to rebuild Iraq.

No need to post about this poor man's fate, take your pick and move on to another thread? 0 replies.

I'm not aiming this at any person or group in particular. Or trying to trivialise this man's plight. But it's so plain to see how disinterested people have become towards the beheading of hostages. So bored of it. So desensitised. Such a frightening thing is now mainstream.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
i don't get this one, that's not new. but i don't get this one so much i needed to post about it.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Australia given 72 hours to act.

A Militant group holding Australian engineer Douglas Wood hostage in Iraq has given Canberra 72 hours to start withdrawing troops from the country in another video message released overnight.

Al-Jazeera television broadcast brief footage, which showed Mr Wood with two machineguns pointed at his head.
"The group calling itself the Shura Council of the Mujahedeen of Iraq, which is holding Australian hostage Douglas Wood, gave Australian authorities 72 hours to start withdrawing their forces from Iraq," the Qatar-based news channel said.

Source

Sanc'.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
sanctum

Lets hope he is released go home to his family soon .Surley some knows where he is being held

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
A/ Deserves it for being in Iraq knowing the risks and working for a US company.

This would be my choice. Look, this guy did know the risks before he went over there. Sorry dude, your number's up. Now where is his family going to be without him? I'm not insensitive to this man's plight, but at what point does someone take personal responsibility for their actions??

Rest In Peace brother (in advance)

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hmm imo we should just export some american street gangs over there.

it's all about the crack game son.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Id just like to point out that since typing that post I have found out that Wood owns his own company. Although he used to work for Betchel, a US company. So ignore that end part on choice A/.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This is a selection of the most unintelligent posts i have ever seen from cargo and dr love. Idiocy. Plain and simple. I'd like to see how long your fat, net surfing cynicism would hold up in a real life horror situation like this poor bastard is facing. Shouldn't even the oldest members have to reapply to retain their membership?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Goregrinder, I think you misunderstood Cargo.
When I read his post, I took it as a comment from someone who was upset at the lack of replies on this thread about a tragic incident.

It seemed to me that he was asking 'has it really reached the point that this is longer a big deal and no longer warrants a response?'

[edit on 7-5-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Cargo, even though he ran his own company it is a US based company, he lived in California prior to going to Iraq... So point A/ is still valid

I'm with Cargo and the Doctor on this one... although i have empathy for his plight and feel for his family... the dangers of being in Iraq were known and anyone who goes there should know the risk... the only thing that makes this different to all the other kidnappings by the Iraqi Resistance is its an Aussie, so obviously its been getting alot of cover in the media...

I'm not saying we shouldnt try help the guy... but i wont be suprised when the headlines state he's been killed...

And who can we blame for Iraq becoming the lawless state it is these days? I wont answer my own question...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by goregrinder
This is a selection of the most unintelligent posts i have ever seen from cargo and dr love. Idiocy. Plain and simple. I'd like to see how long your fat, net surfing cynicism would hold up in a real life horror situation like this poor bastard is facing. Shouldn't even the oldest members have to reapply to retain their membership?

Exactly!!!! Gores......I was horrified at the level of non-compassion there....

Guys!!! come on, just one look at this poor guy, and how can anyone even slightly contemplate that he 'deserves' any of this.....

Jump on me all you like for my perhaps niaveness......But it makes me kind of wonder that in one instance......These people are responsible?.....for crashing two planes into a building to make their 'apparent' point......

But then, decide to 'just' take one man hostage to prove another one

Okay, perhaps Im Waaaay off there, but I don't know much about the politics and stuff

Sep

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A sunni sheykh is trying to release him, hopefully he will be alright.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jacqua

Jump on me all you like for my perhaps niaveness......But it makes me kind of wonder that in one instance......These people are responsible?.....for crashing two planes into a building to make their 'apparent' point......

Ummm the captors of Wood , or the group they work for, had nothing to do with 9/11... these guys are fighting against an occupying force and trying to get the US led invasion force out of their country... I dont agree with their methods, but your comment goes to show how easy it is to brainwash people into believing Iraq was involved in 9/11

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Saying he "deserves it" is crazy, he's just some poor guy trying to make a living.
Yes, no doubt he was aware of the risks, that doesn't mean he "deserves" to be kidnapped, abused, and perhaps murdered. He wasn't out there trying to harm anyone, as far as I have heard.

How about C/ Another innocent victim of this stupid war?

[edit on 5/6/05 by xmotex]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by goregrinder

They aren't the ones voluntarily stepping into a warzone. Nobody should die in such a manner, but honestly what did the guy expect going over there?

A casualty of war and nothing more needs to be stated over him just like all the dead Iraqis that didn't need to die over this war either.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Asian, brainwashed? There are some people that believe the loss of a human life is sad, no matter where they come from. Your anti-american comments show nothing but bias. Severing a mans head on video is savage. It's murder. Just as every death in war is murder. Look at things like a humanist, and less like a typical anti-american, and your viewpoint may change.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   

QUOTE by Specials (Ummm the captors of Wood , or the group they work for, had nothing to do with 9/11... these guys are fighting against an occupying force and trying to get the US led invasion force out of their country... I dont agree with their methods, but your comment goes to show how easy it is to brainwash people into believing Iraq was involved in 9/11)....end QUOTE

Thanx, Specials......but I DID make major reference to the facts that I wasn't really knowledgable about these sorts of things......And being brainwashed, for me, is 'believing' until I am told 'otherwise'

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Jacqua]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The disrespect towards soldiers and civilian workers alike in iraq disgusts me. Nobody deserves to have the their head lobbed off slowly with a short knife.

Maybe im wrong, but everyone seems to think that going into iraq is a really dumb thing to do. Its not dumb, its dangerous. And the fact that he had the courage to do so demands respect. Anyone that is willing to do so demands respect. They should not just be told that "they deserved it".

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Hmm imo we should just export some american street gangs over there.

it's all about the crack game son.

LOL that was actually funny!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join