It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian held hostage in Iraq.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Here is aljazeera's article regarding this news, and their 'take' on Australia's Mufti.
Canberra mufti out to help Iraq captive.sic

Outspoken Mufti

The outspoken al-Hilali is the 64-year-old Mufti of Australia's 300,000 Muslims, who make up about 1.5% of the nation's 20 million population.

More Australian troops are soon to be deployed in Iraq

He made headlines in 2003 when he was charged with assaulting and hindering police and resisting arrest after his car was pulled over. The charges were later dropped.

Egyptian-born al-Hilali was under the spotlight again in 2004 when he described the 11 September 2001 attacks on the United States as "God's work against the oppressors". He later said his statement had been misinterpreted.

aljazeera

So, where does this Mufti stand? I don't know.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake
Perhaps, just perhaps Mr Wood (like so many others) who have been taken and executed in the most vile manner, thought they were just doing some good. For their efforts they lose their lives - but it is their fault...

I don't mean this in a rude way, but you're very naive. There's a lot of money to be made over in Iraq, and everyone wants a piece of the pie. People get paid so much money to go over there because it is so dangerous. I'm sick and tired of these people saying things like "oh, they were just trying to do good for the people of Iraq" and "oh, they were just trying to help rebuild Iraq". Let me let you in on a little secret, that is/was the furthest thing from their minds. You only start hearing that from them when they're on TV blubbering with a gun pointed at their head. They were/are there for the benjamins plain and simple.

It's like going to Vegas, but at this Vegas you gamble with your life.

Peace

No, I am certainly NOT naive. I do however get sick and tired of the endless chatter that assumes EVERYONE is ‘in it for the money'. Yes, many are, I DO realise that – I am not completely devoid of brains. There are many others however who do put themselves at great risk to help others and for their efforts they also from time to time lose their lives.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Sheik AlHilali 'optimistic'.

THE Mufti of Australia, on a mercy mission to save the life of hostage Douglas Wood, is optimistic after discussions with a group of influential religious leaders in Baghdad.

"I am optimistic. I have met members of the Ulema Committee and they will publish a statement calling for Douglas Wood's release," Sheikh Taj Aldin AlHilali said.
The Ulema, or Committee of Muslim Scholars, is an influential grouping of Sunni clerics that represents some 3,000 mosques across Iraq and has often mediated the release of foreign hostages.

Article

and more from another article,
Wood's release 'vital to safety of Muslims'.

Australia's Islamic spiritual leader, Taj Din al-Hilali, said late yesterday he was locked in talks with Iraqi clerics and tribal leaders with links to Douglas Wood's kidnappers.

Sheik Hilali entered the meeting after claiming he had won an extension to the deadline, by which the captors said they would execute Mr Wood, to midnight last night Baghdad time (6am AEDT).

In an impassioned plea to the kidnappers in Iraq last night, Sheik Hilali argued that the release of Mr Wood could mean the continued safety of Muslims in Australia, along with their way of life.

Imploring the kidnappers to release Mr Wood in the name of God, Sheik Hilali said he would "knock on every door" in attempts to meet them and argue Mr Wood's case.

Article

This is pretty strong language from Australia's Mufti. I was born in Australia, i'm 42 and i see no signs of a concerted effort by non-muslims to compromise the safety of Australian muslims.

Sure, Australia has racism, religious and ethnic persecution as 99% of multicultural societies do but i see no threat to muslim's in Australia as mentioned above.

Sanc'.
edit:text

[edit on 12-5-2005 by sanctum]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Australia urged to watch language.

An influential tribal sheikh from Iraq's Sunni triangle says the Federal Government must moderate its language, if it is to appeal to the kidnappers of Australian Douglas Wood.

A leading Sunni cleric from the insurgent stronghold of Ramadi, Sheikh Zaidan al-Owad fled Iraq when the US military tried to arrest him.

In an interview with the ABC, Sheikh Owad says he is certain the men holding Mr Wood are Iraqi and can be convinced to release their captive if the right language is used.

"The statements by the Prime Minister and the Australian Government are not helping, statements like 'we will not be dictated to by terrorists'," he said.

Article

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Now this man knowingly entered a country heavily under seige. Now i don't say that he deserves to die, but seriously would u expect anything less? Now the man goes over there because he gets to earn a packet, the reason he earns so much are obvious enough, a good chance ur gonna be killed, whether by a stray missile, or some wacked terrorist decides that your gonna be his next target. Now if a country was to pull its troops simply because one of their civilians was captured and sentenced to death, then what about the countless number of people who have already laid down their lives for this campaign? what makes him so special that we waste all these honourable and patriotic people's lives simply so he can go on living?

No reason. The man doesn't deserve to die. But it is war. And there are casualties. I just love the media footage, were he pleads for his life, with an AK pointed at his head. It just amazes me how people can be so simpathetic towards the man when he obviously went over to make a quick bob, got caught up in the mess and nows theres people demanding we yank our troops. Now im not a fan of this war in iraq. But even worse would be to adhere to these 'people' simply because of they hold one of our own hostages.

At the end of the day. He was in a country were murders are a daily occurance. Who cares how he dies. Only that he does.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doorak
Now this man knowingly entered a country heavily under seige. Now i don't say that he deserves to die, but seriously would u expect anything less? Now the man goes over there because he gets to earn a packet, the reason he earns so much are obvious enough, a good chance ur gonna be killed, whether by a stray missile, or some wacked terrorist decides that your gonna be his next target. Now if a country was to pull its troops simply because one of their civilians was captured and sentenced to death, then what about the countless number of people who have already laid down their lives for this campaign? what makes him so special that we waste all these honourable and patriotic people's lives simply so he can go on living?

No wonder the world is it the state it is with attitudes like yours and so many others to be fair to you. As for your last line -

“At the end of the day. He was in a country were murders are a daily occurrence. Who cares how he dies. Only that he does.”

Who cares how he dies? Many people who have never met Mr Wood do care and thank God they do. I am sure his wife, daughter, grandchild, brothers and sisters care.

ONLY THAT HE DOES – I would hope that you didn’t mean this to come out the way it has.

As for the comment that he has gone over to Iraq to earn a packet, I am sorry, you have no idea why Mr Wood has decided to do what he did. Only he knows why he is there.

I do agree with you, that regardless of what we feel about the war in Iraq, pulling troops out because someone is kidnapped and held to ransom isn’t an option. But, surely life is sacred – all life and we should pray that when the time comes to depart this life, that we do so in peace not facing the prospect of having our heads sawn off!!!!!!!

No reason. The man doesn't deserve to die. But it is war. And there are casualties. I just love the media footage, were he pleads for his life, with an AK pointed at his head. It just amazes me how people can be so simpathetic towards the man when he obviously went over to make a quick bob, got caught up in the mess and nows theres people demanding we yank our troops. Now im not a fan of this war in iraq. But even worse would be to adhere to these 'people' simply because of they hold one of our own hostages.

At the end of the day. He was in a country were murders are a daily occurance. Who cares how he dies. Only that he does.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
good post lady of the lake, there is no option of pulling our troops out just because they demand it.
if we give in to them because of this who knows where it would lead! what will be there next demand? there is no telling where it will stop or if it will at all!
i have heard the talks are going well, but everyday he is there the less likley it will be he returns.... what has happened to the american who was taken from the water treatment plant? nearly a month or so now and no demands or deadlines have been given
the japanese guy who they claim to have captured aperently suffered extensive wounds from the fire fight he was engaged in and is expected to have died from his wounds as no video of him has been released?

my heart goes to them all and there familys

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Hostage Douglas Wood freed

Prime Minister John Howard has told Parliament that Australian hostage Douglas Wood has been freed in a military operation in Iraq.

Full details to follow.

Link

Speaking in Parliament, Mr Howard said Wood was well, he was with the Australian emergency response team in Baghdad and receiving medical treatment.

"He was recovered a short time ago in Baghdad in a military operation that I'm told was conducted by Iraqi forces, in co-operation with ... American forces."

Mr Howard said the focus now was to reunite Mr Wood with his family.

SMH

Fantastic news

Sanc'.
edit:text

[edit on 15-6-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Totally agree this is FANTASTIC news. We should also recognise the role that our Muslim Australian's played in having Mr Wood released. This does more to bridge the divide than any 'shallow' talk.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Yes Lady of the Lake. Australia's Mufti Sheikh Taj Aldin Alhilali did a great job during two separate visits to Iraq. Well done to him and to all involved in Mr Woods safe release.

Sanc'.
edit:sp

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
sorry, double post

s

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   
EXCELLENT! WOOT! That's awesome! Nice to see one of these ugly incidents turn out ok. I was sure Mr. Woods was without hope. I prayed for him. I thank God and all involved for his release. Made my day this has.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Incredible. I am so relieved.

This has made my day, and I can't wait to hear his story.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Good to hear that he has? been released. I was just wondering whether or not the family donated a rather large sum to obtain his freedom?. One of his brothers used to be a director of a large finance and investment company in Melbourne, Australia. Can anyone add some views on this opinion.?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by aussieman
Good to hear that he has? been released. I was just wondering whether or not the family donated a rather large sum to obtain his freedom?. One of his brothers used to be a director of a large finance and investment company in Melbourne, Australia. Can anyone add some views on this opinion.?

Hi aussieman, i think it will take a day or two to establish if the Wood family donated any money. The abc have quite a few links.

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AvDnu2vOjnwf4x1tH6x8vmZX6GMA;_ylu=X3o'___'BiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

hostage is free, ya dont need to give ransom money to the terrorists or donate money. if u want to donate, u can donate to U.S. forces or Iraqi commandos who saved this man.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Australian hostage Douglas Wood has thanked Iraqi troops for helping to free him from insurgents holding him in one of Baghdad's most dangerous neighbourhoods.

Wood, 64, in a message read by Australia's counter-terrorism chief Nick Warner, said he was extremely happy and relieved to be free again.
He was freed by the Iraqi army's 2nd battalion, 1st Armoured Brigade, with some assistance from US forces in Ghazaliya - one of Baghdad's most dangerous Sunni Arab neighbourhoods.

The suburb is located near Baghdad's airport and the road which connects it to the central part of the city - considered to be the most dangerous stretch of concrete in the capital.

Article

This is such good news. He is a very lucky man.

Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
If it wasn't for the Wood family and Sheikh Taj Aldin Alhilali making a concerted effort to stall the situation long enough for the necessary action to take place, I don't think there would be a rescue to celebrate. Not to mention the fact that Alhilali, who has health problems of his own, offered to take Douglas Wood's place as hostage.

No doubt that this is also a huge win for the Howard government. They never once stepped back from their policy of not negotiating with terrorists, and to top it off the hostage is free. I'm no Liberal party fan, but you've got to acknowledge how positive this is from their political point of view.

Overall though, it makes you feel great just thinking about how good Douglas Wood and his family are feeling right now.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I'm sick of this guy already, yeah that's right i said it.

He said in a press conference he's thinking of going back to Iraq, when asked why he said 'Good business opportunities'. What an idiot, obviously he learnt nothing about Iraq while he was there. He came across as the typical greedy business man who see's dollar signs rather than reality.

He said he knows nothing of the people that took him but he doesn't think it was Al-Qaeda because they didn't kill him, well anyone could of told you that considering it's only Al-ciaqawi's group is doing the beheadings and these other scenarios are about getting troops out and awarness in. Dramatic way of doing it, yes but do you think CNN will run headlines from Iraqi's who don't want wars in thier streets? Hostage taking is a PR tatic for a silent voice, albeit an extreeme one but these people CAN be delt with properly and the Government was told by analysts that publically calling these people Terrorists is a stupid move because if they don't know who they are then they don't know their motives.

There's rumors of a book deal and even a corporate sponsership because he asked for a 'Fosters' when he was released - what true Australian asks for a f-ing Fosters for starters!!
(yes all those Americans who frequent the 'Outback Resturants' - we don't drink Fosters and i asked them when i was there why they don't have real Australian beers and the girl behind the bar said 'we get told that all the time from Australians').

Anyway, 'Dougles Woods' is all we are going to hear about for the next few weeks and i'm sure it will be slanted to denigrate the Iraqi people rather than trying to understand how he was captured and why and what his hosts actually wanted considering contractors aren't the most popular people over there.

There's seems to be something suss around this whole thing, there's two sides to the story already.....

Go back there Woods, finish off your contracts and retire a fat old rich man, who cares.

[edit on 20-6-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
OK so the latest update (June 20th) is:

Australia's Mufti Sheikh Taj Aldin Alhilali, the man that went to Iraq to organise the release of Woods is saying the actions of the military who stormed the place where Woods was placed was a stupid move and the only reason they found him was due to information the Sheikh provided.

He's saying, if they waiting 12 hours as he had arranged with the people holding woods, not only would of Woods been freed as was arranged, but also two Iraqi's that were also being held would of been released.

Because the forces rushed the place to get Woods out, they've now made it an almost 90% chance that the Iraqi's won't be freed now.

The force that found Woods said that he was there and the people with him were unarmed, Taj Aldin Alhilali said he had arranged that they were not to be armed so the place wasn't shot up when the transaction was made.

Australia's government has been very coy about saying how Woods was freed, saying they 'don't know the details' that were involved. This lends credence to Mufti Sheikh Taj Aldin Alhilali's claims since he seems pretty sure about the series of events and was about the only person actually doing something about freeing Woods for most of the time.l

It's good Woods is alive but seriously, there's no reason why they needed to rush it and put Iraqi captives lives at risk. This will be interesting to see how it pans out, i expect the media and government to try and destroy the credability of Alhilail because the only other option is to admit they rushed Woods release at the expense of two Iraqis lives. If this turns out to be the case then Woods release shouldn't be glorified at all.

There's something wrong with this scenario. The government wants to paint it as a big patriotic event but it just doesn't add up to be such a thing at all.

[edit on 20-6-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join