It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's got a $2.5 billion wild hog problem. These states see the worst of it.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Its funny because for years there has been a growing wild boar problem in the Forest of Dean area of Gloucestershire.
We arent allowed to hunt the things, but I know a few lads who nab a couple every now and then, the whole village gets free pork for a while and still the things multiply.

Actually they are now legally hunted in the UK on National Trust/Wildlife Trust sites as it's essential to control their numbers closely to allow the forrest to stay healthy/regenerate (I volunteer for the Wildlife Trust).

The Forrest of Dean needs around 400 boar for ideal habitat with around 400 being culled per year to keep population from getting out of control.

Permits are around £50 and theres a one off fee of £300 if hunting for meat. I think there's addittional police checks required for 'legal quarry' but not sure.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: crowf00t
a reply to: Creaky

Sorry but I don't buy the 'unclean' business.

everything alive eats everything alive until life ceases to exist then there is extinction from nothing to eat.

So what if everything eats everything, the law was given to the Jews not you and me
Kinda pointless argument unless you are a Jew

Many Jewish rituals were about cleanliness

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

what do you kill them with? Kitchen knives, or a big stick?

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Cleaning fish is not something some other cultures do; Head and scales still on it; Is such a thing unclean? If someone turns their head from food having weighed it?

Then they're not really hungry are they...

Some places have been so bad with hunger; Such as Islands that many resorted to eating each other.

So having the luxury to say; Oh no... That's this or that and then turning one's nose at it; Is a luxury is a philosophy also one quick to fail for that very reason as there is no real humility in it.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Its funny because for years there has been a growing wild boar problem in the Forest of Dean area of Gloucestershire.
We arent allowed to hunt the things, but I know a few lads who nab a couple every now and then, the whole village gets free pork for a while and still the things multiply.

Actually they are now legally hunted in the UK on National Trust/Wildlife Trust sites as it's essential to control their numbers closely to allow the forrest to stay healthy/regenerate (I volunteer for the Wildlife Trust).

The Forrest of Dean needs around 400 boar for ideal habitat with around 400 being culled per year to keep population from getting out of control.

Permits are around £50 and theres a one off fee of £300 if hunting for meat. I think there's addittional police checks required for 'legal quarry' but not sure.

thats interesting I would guess they just dont pay, the ones I am thiniking about but boars are out of control in the Forest I've heard of them interrupting footy and rugby matches and rooting through gardens and allotments.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

Gross! I was coming up with a plan to utilize the meat from the killing of wild swine into dog food but dogs don’t even touch it!

You're just ignorant about it. In both places I mentioned it's considered a delicacy. Here in Mexico they make the best tamales.

Sure, you don't want to eat a boar in rut, and there are a couple of glands that you need to carefully remove; but that take knowledge and effort.

Some of the very best meat I ever ate was a suckling that a friend trapped with the sow. I split it and roasted it whole over mesquite. DAYUM!

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke

originally posted by: 38181
a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

Gross! I was coming up with a plan to utilize the meat from the killing of wild swine into dog food but dogs don’t even touch it!

You're just ignorant about it. In both places I mentioned it's considered a delicacy. Here in Mexico they make the best tamales.

Sure, you don't want to eat a boar in rut, and there are a couple of glands that you need to carefully remove; but that take knowledge and effort.

Some of the very best meat I ever ate was a suckling that a friend trapped with the sow. I split it and roasted it whole over mesquite. DAYUM!

I'll never forget the time we had big one tied up in the back of the truck having a beer and taking pictures We had the dogs tied up at this point , The Boar got loose and got a second wind We all where jumping out of the bed and yelling cut the dogs loose cut em loose lol We never killed them on site we would take them back deworm and feed and water for a week or so Then dig a hole Yummy
edit on 26-11-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2023 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

WOW!

There is no way I'd be in the vicinity of a tied up live wild hog. I want that sucker door-nail dead if I'm in the general neighborhood.

I saw a video once of some stupid kids that shot one with a large caliber pistol. The thing was lying there looking dead and they were standing beside it talking about the kill. First time I watched the video I was thinking, "Move idiots! Move idiots! Shoot him at the base of the skull!"

The hog revived. It wasn't dead, just knocked out. The ensuing video and photos of the carnage were horrific. The deep and long slices in the legs and back of one of the kids looked barely survivable.

I saw a video of some old men here n Mexico who smoked out a den of wild hogs. They built a fire at one hole, plugged the rest and waited by the only way out. One by one the hogs exited and some old coot whacked each one on the back of head with a club, then another fellow would drag it off. I assume they were promptly stabbed in the heart off screen, but there's no way in hell I'd be involved in laying hands on a wild hog that'd been knocked on the head.

Now, there is a family in our small town that has one as a pet. First time I saw it it had gotten out and I didn't know it was "domesticated." The sucker started following me down the street. Scared the crap out of me! I started throwing rocks and if finally wandered off.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Umm no. I am a Jewish enviro scientist and I say kill the pigs and god is not going to mind if you feed the hungry with them.

Dont appropriate a culture to suit yourr argument, culling evasive species is part of enviro management.

posted on Nov, 28 2023 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

WOW!

There is no way I'd be in the vicinity of a tied up live wild hog. I want that sucker door-nail dead if I'm in the general neighborhood.

I saw a video once of some stupid kids that shot one with a large caliber pistol. The thing was lying there looking dead and they were standing beside it talking about the kill. First time I watched the video I was thinking, "Move idiots! Move idiots! Shoot him at the base of the skull!"

The hog revived. It wasn't dead, just knocked out. The ensuing video and photos of the carnage were horrific. The deep and long slices in the legs and back of one of the kids looked barely survivable.

I saw a video of some old men here n Mexico who smoked out a den of wild hogs. They built a fire at one hole, plugged the rest and waited by the only way out. One by one the hogs exited and some old coot whacked each one on the back of head with a club, then another fellow would drag it off. I assume they were promptly stabbed in the heart off screen, but there's no way in hell I'd be involved in laying hands on a wild hog that'd been knocked on the head.

Now, there is a family in our small town that has one as a pet. First time I saw it it had gotten out and I didn't know it was "domesticated." The sucker started following me down the street. Scared the crap out of me! I started throwing rocks and if finally wandered off.

It's exciting the bay dogs will corner the hog and the pits normally just 1 or 2 are trained to hit the hog behind the ear and just hold on (Not to damage the meat and stay at the side away from the tusk) until the hog is just too tired to fight anymore , At this point you call the dogs off put your knee on the hogs neck and tie it up I've seen guys get cut wide open just by the hog raising it's head those tusk are way sharper then you would think .

My favorite boy Tuggboat - Weight Pull Pic he pulled 8200 pounds in the 65 pound weight class 1st place

edit on 28-11-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2023 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeTheGoddess2

Umm no. I am a Jewish enviro scientist and I say kill the pigs and god is not going to mind if you feed the hungry with them.

Dont appropriate a culture to suit yourr argument, culling evasive species is part of enviro management.

What are you talking about?
Have you, did you even read the comments
Appropriate Judaism?
What?

edit on 29-11-2023 by Creaky because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join