It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes the U.S.A. the best?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
What are all the factors that make the U.S.A. the best nation in the world? What are the obvious and nonobvious factors? How can the U.S.A. stay the best nation in the world for eternity? In what ways can the U.S.A. improve?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
i shouldn't reply to this thread, but it's stronger than me...

I am not really sure that we all agree that the USA are the best nation in the world. If i may give a suggestion, why not rephrase the question to:

Is the USA really the best nation in the world? and IF yes, how?

or even better:

is it possible to have a best nation in the world?

Jules

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
RELATIVELY speaking, yes, America is the best country in the world.

From a philosophical standpoint, the fact that America simply doesn't oppress it's people is the biggest reason.

However, the other big reason is it's capitalism. While the principle may not be sound, think about what capitalism allows: wealth. It allows people to become rich.

Not to mention America is the safest, most resource-abundant, secure, influential, and wealthiest nation in the world. That alone makes it the best country.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   

However, the other big reason is it's capitalism. While the principle may not be sound, think about what capitalism allows: wealth. It allows people to become rich.

so basically what you are saying here is that if you are rich, you are the best. I am not sure it works like that to me, but that's why we have different point of view!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
What are all the factors that make the U.S.A. the best nation in the world?

The foreign and defense policies of Ronald Reagan resulted in the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the freeing of approximately 122 million people in Eastern Europe.

The state of Israel would cease to exist if not for American protection, and about 5.5 million Jews would be in grave danger.

Nearly 23 million Taiwanese would be denied freedom if not for American protection. More than 48 million South Koreans would be living under a dictatorship if not for American protection. USA action led to the removal of the Serbian dictator Milosevic, who was responsible for the murders of hundreds of thousands of people in the Balkans.

American action in Central America, Grenada, and Haiti has kept millions of people out of totalitarian regimes. Of course, all of this has cost every American taxpayer big. And thousands of American servicepeople have lost their lives protecting people overseas.

etc....

I don't know if we are the best....but we are pretty darn good.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
again, you put the idea of being the best nation in the world on the military basis and money and the fact that the US are helping and helped many people in the world and the history.
I will not deny that, of course, as, as you said in your thread, the US have saved many lives and did a lot of good things for the world (but let's keep in mind that the US have not done only good and they have done pretty bad as well, like the mess we have today in Afghanistan and Iraq, but that's my point of view, again).

so let's come back to the first question. If we want to see why is america the best, we should define the workd best in this thread.

for me being the best country in the world is not just a matter of being rich, having a huge military pawer. I see in the best, all of the other aspects, such as the relations with other countries, the social aspect, the environmental aspect, the place of the country in the world and the action done for it, and so on.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by andpau66
More than 48 million South Koreans would be living under a dictatorship if not for American protection. USA action led to the removal of the Serbian dictator Milosevic, who was responsible for the murders of hundreds of thousands of people in the Balkans.

American action in Central America, Grenada, and Haiti has kept millions of people out of totalitarian regimes. Of course, all of this has cost every American taxpayer big. And thousands of American servicepeople have lost their lives protecting people overseas.

etc....

The US divided Korea and when the Koreans tried to set up their own government the US overthrew them and installed a military government.

The US has supported dicatators in Central America and Haiti.
The Grenada invasion wasn't something to be that proud of either.
www.globalpolicy.org...

If you want to talk about what's good about America you should steer away from discussions about the numerous interventions by America.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Ok.
This is a very assumptive and moronic thread.

Common sense and thoughts of the good of the board tell me to shut this thread down and trash it before the mayhem begins, but I feel helpless, unable to overcome my morbid fascination with death and violence. I'm sure they are coming down the pike.

Excuse me while I go and don a smock so as to prevent blood from splattering all over my new Bibb overalls.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Ok.
This is a very assumptive and moronic thread.

And this is by far the best contribution to it, so far

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
i like america
i live here

i wont say america is the best (because marijuana is illegal here)

america is 4th best

I rate nations "bestness" on their Marijuana Laws... versus the chance a white boy like me will be killed and robbed

New Zealand 1
Netherlands 2
Australia 3
America 4
Jamacia 5
Canada 6
Rwanda 7 (heh just joking Rwanda sucks)

[edit on 11-4-2005 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Oops. I suppose I did throw a back hand, didn't I?

Oh well, it really wasn't intentional, I was just pointing out the obvious.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Hmm...
I usually rate people's intelligence by inversely comparing it to their desire for drugs, but I have to agree with you on your first choice in regard to countries.

I now nick name you Bill O'Rielly. You have the propensity for being right for the wrong reason!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I'd suggest we need to establish a criteria for best. Here's mine, in no priority orger, just off the top of my head. I suspect this will only prove the US is not the best place to live, just the biggest economy and best military...

on a per capita basis;
crime rate, murders
avg income compared to avg cost of home
% population above/below poverty line
infant mortality rate

more difficult to quantify;
access to quality health care (not price, access & quality)
education quality and opportunity
pollution / smog factor
religious freedom from persecution
democracy versus dictatorship etc
climate
upward mobility

gets along with neighbors ie canada, mexico

cool looking flag

anything I left out ?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Quality of beer,
Natural resources and beauty,
Number of fast-food joints per city block.

I do not agree with crime, per se. Some folks just ask to get blown away. Another thing, road rage. But, that goes back to those who need acute lead poisoning. Why is it that my temper is seen aas the crime and at the same time the idiot is the victim?

Also, Democracy is not a very good standard, as that is nothing more than mob-rule tyranny.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
IMO, I think America is the best country out there, but then, I am biased and have been american all my life, and wouldnt give up my freedom for anything. America isn't perfect, we have a lot of problems, but at the same time, we are very fortunate.

My reasons for thinking the US is the BEST:
I can say Bush sux and not be shot.
I can travel where I want in the US, when I want.
I can make myself rich or poor.
I can choose to join the military or not.
I can hunt and fish.
I can speak my mind.
I can feel secure in knowing my children will have these same rights when they grow up and can persue whatever fields and jobs they want.
I can be secure in knowing that they will have all the rights and responsibilities that comes with freedome.
The list can go on and on and on.....

The things we need to improve on:
Healthcare, Canada has a good example of what we need in this department.
GLobal policies, if we continue to create Bin Laddens and Saddams, we will keep paying the price in American blood.

We don't have total freedom,I dont think anyone has the right to tell me I cant use drugs if that is what I choose to do. (George Washington and Ben Franklin were stoners!)

We are forced as parents to conform to specific ideals, and if there is dysfunctionality in a family, social services can and often does rip apart families that would be fine otherwise, I understand that they might mean well, but often times they hurt families more than help.

This could be a long list too
But I will stop.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by Darkblade71]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
What has this topic got to do with anything ATS related? I might has well start a thread with "Why red is my favourite colour" or "Why are cats better than dogs?" (obviously they are).

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
maybe a better question would be, why do americans think they live in the best country in the world?

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joshm2u
maybe a better question would be, why do americans think they live in the best country in the world?

Because they have never been (or lived) anywhere else and they seem to have all that patriotism pumped into them from the time they are a child. When your constantly reassured and reinforced by the media and government that your country is the best most believe it. Plus everyone has some degree of attachment and fondness for their birthplace.

Originally America was a land of opportunity (and it still is, though much harder to get into) and a new start. It covers a wide diversity of resources and enviroments and is made up of a wide varity of people. Originally it's constitution was drawn up to be free of Kings and allow everyone a decent chance at life. Of course it's not perfect and has it's share of problems but it's not too bad. One thing it has contribted is capitalism with morality. Thanks probably to its puritanical christian roots it holds onto a sense of morality and tries to keep to a form of justice (for better or worse they like to project it across the world), though blind greed can and does take over, at least they are usually held accountable in the end.

America will not be the superpower forever, all great empires and powers fall on their sword eventually or shrink to a shadow of their former selves.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Darkblade, there are citizens of other countries that can make the same claims you have just made.

There is one thing that you left out. Whether it be true or not, real or simply a facade for the U.S. citizens, there is one other ingredient that separates us from the other countries that can make the same claims.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I locve America the best because Americans constantly come up with ways to toot their own horn. Just go to an Olympics and listen to the "U.S.A. U.S.A!" and the fact that some Americans think there are actual winners of the games.

I love Americans arrogance, because it is going to hurt all the more when their $%^& hits the fan.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join