It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes the U.S.A. the best?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Mods how about moving this thread to the slug fest in PTS ?
While the topic may have some merit it will end up as anthoer you hate america vs common sense thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jawapunk
. Just go to an Olympics and listen to the "U.S.A. U.S.A!" and the fact that some Americans think there are actual winners of the games.

What like other people dont cheer there own countries on
sheesh give me a break. I remember alot of other people chanting for their countries and waving their flags at the Olympics.

Americans had some good reasons to cheer at the games 103 of them to be exact

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What makes USA the best... well the only thing that makes the USA 'the best', is the opinions of the ultra nationalisic residents of the country... anywhere else in the world wouldnt agree the USA is the best.

My understanding is Norway has won the best country to live in title many years running. Now i know this doesnt constitute 'the best' but its the closest you can come to because 'the best' is a matter of opinion.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'm a 7 th generation American, but also Norwegian, so its all good !

Norway still the world's best place to live
For the fourth year in a row, the United Nations has ranked Norway as having the highest standard of living in the world. Sweden, Australia and Canada are next in line, while the United States is further down the scale The United States landed in eighth place on the list, while France, for example, was 16th.

www.aftenposten.no...

and the ladies aren't tough to look at in Norway......If Bush goes after Iran, I might have to take my scandanavian but to Norway

another opinion;
Ireland is named 'best country'

Dubliners have reason to be cheerful, the survey finds
Ireland is the best place to live in the world, according to a "quality of life" assessment by Economist magazine.
The country's combination of increasing wealth and traditional values gives it the conditions most likely to make its people happy, the survey found.

Ireland was followed by Switzerland, Norway and Luxembourg. All but one of the top 10 were European countries.

The USA languished in 13th, while Britain was 29th

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 12-4-2005 by syrinx high priest]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
'America is the best country because we are free...'
Hmmm, free to have electoral malpractice, start wars to settle old scores, free to be chained to oil, free to bear arms against each other, free to be force fed alarmist journalism and patriotic rubbish...

Hey my kinda place...

Then again No.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Ok.
This is a very assumptive and moronic thread.

Thank you, Thomas Crowne. You took the words right off my keyboard!

Most people think their own country is the best in the world in which to live, and those that don't, emigrate to a new land.

Its is assumed by Americans only that America is the best country in the world in which to live.

Now if you want to discuss why you think its great, fine. Like any other country it has good and bad. However these days, seems to me the US has more bad about it than good. Sad.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I can choose to join the military or not.

Whoa, there buddy...maybe you should have a look at a bill that was put through the 108th Congress - H.R. 163 and S. 89

Universal National Service Act, 2003 - H.R. 163

Universal National Service Act, 2003 - S.89

Kinda drafty in here, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Seems we have several people who feel the need to throw rocks at my country. I guess I can't blame you; I cringe every time I see one of these "U.S.A. is the best" threads. I'd get sick of them, too, and would argue against it just for the heck of it.

Sure, we have personal freedom in this country. To some extent, anyway. But there are many other nations that have the same freedoms we do. Well, most of the same freedoms; I notice many nations do not trust themselves and have allowed their government to disarm them. That's their bag, though.
We have beautiful countryside, and so do other nations. For several years, for example, I was stationed in Germany, and greatly enjoyed the countryside there. It's hard to think of a more scenic place than Garmisch. The food and beer was awesome, too.
Ah, I could keep on going down the list, but here's a couple things that makes America a good place from which to hail.

If any of our allies find themselves in a bind and are about to loose their freedom, the United States will come to their aid, and will come will a sizable military that will get the job done. As a matter of fact, many nations don't even have to spend much on their own defense because they know the U.S. will cover them.

Another point to keep in mind when throwing rocks at America is the generosity of those people who piss you off because they chant "USA! USA!" Again, everyone looks to us when crap hits the fan. They look to our cash, and they look to our military machine to be turned into a humanitarian machine. And both always come, too. Even to those who despise us and want us dead.

So, to those of you who get tired of threads like this one, I'm with you. To you morons who are looking forward for the crap to hit the fan for the U.S., you'd better think that stupid thought clean through to the end. Do you want to pick up the tab that the U.S. picks up? Nope, I didn't think so.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Seems we have several people who feel the need to throw rocks at my country. I guess I can't blame you; I cringe every time I see one of these "U.S.A. is the best" threads. I'd get sick of them, too, and would argue against it just for the heck of it.

Hey TC, didn't hit you with a rock, did I? Didn't mean to if I did, buddy! But you are right, these threads are tiresome. People forget that there are people on ATS from all over the world - and this constant patting on shoulder has gotten old. America is a wonderful country in many ways...but no one can dispute that it is very, very troubled these days. Sad that more don't see it. Its almost like they have to do it to convince themselves of something they know is not true right now.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Money....its a pretty simple fact.

Many may say, oh!oh! .....its not about the money. But it cannot be denied that just about every human being wants to better there lives and their conditions. This is what drove to cadastrophic numbers imigrating to America for the past Century and a half. 99.9% of families in the world wish to succeed or better themselves. Its the nature of a human being. Look at all of us who go home from work each day complaining about wanting another raise. Money is trading power. Its really what runs the damn world. The US may not be top dog in other aspects, but it is made for making money and most people, even ones who will deny it upfront, want a piece of that dough.

Carburetor

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
No, AL, you didn't hit me with any rocks, I assure you. If I did get hit with a rock, it is all my fault. I have the power to make this thread go away, and I started to do that as soon as I saw the title. I decided to let it fly anyway since maybe some light would be shined on stupidity along the way. I think Ignorance and stupidity reared their ugly heads on both sides of the moron fence, and sensible people hit them with the spotlight. AS this is true, I am glad I didn't kill the thread.

Lessons learned from the thread:

There are a lot of good qualities about the U.S., and fortunately, these same qualities are shared by other countries. What does make it great is not that it is powerful, or that it is wealthy, but that it is willing to use its power and wealth to help others in the world. What separates us from other countries is not necessarily the willinglness to do that, only the ability. I know this to be true because we have representative from all over the world at this board, and there are people from all over the world who have hearts as big as Texas. Because of this, I have no desire to take a thing from them, or make pompous claims.
Rejoice in your own nation's strengths and beauty, but at the same time, appreciate that of other countries.

AS far as the light shone on bigoted morons who look forward to the fall of a generous nation that has done more good than harm in the world, all I can say is that I pity those types, their self-hatred causes them to hate others, and they are so blind they can't see that what they hope for will cause pain and suffering to many innocent people and not just those in the U.S.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Carburetor
Money....its a pretty simple fact.

Many may say, oh!oh! .....its not about the money. But it cannot be denied that just about every human being wants to better there lives and their conditions. This is what drove to cadastrophic numbers imigrating to America for the past Century and a half. 99.9% of families in the world wish to succeed or better themselves. Its the nature of a human being. Look at all of us who go home from work each day complaining about wanting another raise. Money is trading power. Its really what runs the damn world. The US may not be top dog in other aspects, but it is made for making money and most people, even ones who will deny it upfront, want a piece of that dough.

Carburetor

if its money you're going to use as a criteria, we come in lucky 13th...........

Ireland is named 'best country'

Dubliners have reason to be cheerful, the survey finds
Ireland is the best place to live in the world, according to a "quality of life" assessment by Economist magazine.
The country's combination of increasing wealth and traditional values gives it the conditions most likely to make its people happy, the survey found.

Ireland was followed by Switzerland, Norway and Luxembourg. All but one of the top 10 were European countries.

The USA languished in 13th, while Britain was 29th

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Im more or less talking about where a good portion of the world's monetary deposit can be found. Last i hear the US runs around 20% plus/minus the world's economic size as a single nation. Sure as of late we have some small nations with great wealth to population, here and there, however the big bucks lie in the US. No arrogance intended, this is simply a huge reason why people flocked to the US over the past century was to have the chance at bettering their lives. I guess i have to also add freedom, cause feedom allowed people to achieve their financial success here in the US.

As someone stated earlier....this is a very opinionated topic

It seems most apparent to me that this is why the US has mostly been viewed as the best over the many years past. Most countries have a few thousand years of growth behind them, however in just 200 years the US shot to 3rd in population ranking in the world, mostly due to the high steady immigration over the past century or more. Flocking to wealth and freedom to grow and have more for their families I guess is how i see it.

Thanks,
Carburetor

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Rejoice in your own nation's strengths and beauty, but at the same time, appreciate that of other countries.

Wise words, TC. I concur totally. Though I disagree with much of America's foreign policy these days, I appreciate many things about our neighbour to the south...have many friends and family there. I hope it finds its way back to sanity soon.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Wow, I think that stating that the US is the "best" is being rather presumptious.
When it comes to governments- it's ok. All governments are flawed in one way or another, and some should just stay on paper. They look better that way.

It would be a nice country if the corruption was removed. The justice system ideology of "innocent until proven guilty" is a great way of looking at crime. However, the law has been so abused and twisted for people's own personal views that it has been corrupted. Political officials should be in there for the people- this doesn't mean the richest capitlistic business men should be in charge. Show me a politician that doesn't own at least one Georgio Armani suit and I will chop off my right arm. Education is seriously lacking when it comes to teaching our youth about history, english, and social interactive skills. Look at Japan for example. Their children go to school pratically all year round and go for about 10 hours a day. Half of the European countries are at least bi-lingual if not more. Why do children in America often have trouble pointing out their own country on a globe or better yet not even know all the words to "The Star Spangled Banner"? Who finds this disturbing? I do, for one. Why is it children are raising children and parents are blaming society, tv, music, and the internet for "tainting" their children? When they themselves are too busy in their own personal lives/agendas to even be bothered to know what their child learned in school that day, help them with their homework, or better yet simply spend "quality" time with them. The "best" you say? Well we could be better.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The reason we are the best is because we sincerely believe we are the best. Honestly though, we are the best.

One reason is because generally everyone is given an equal opportunity to succeed in our nation and if people make the right decisions, even a wal-mart employee that is also a political refugee of Cuba can own the roof over their head, give their children a free education, and live a free life.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
My using the Olympics was merely an EXAMPLE of the bigger issue, American arrogance. I really don't care if you cheer for your country, but when it is a constant thing and occurs when unwarranted that is when it crosses into arrogance. This thread for example, what does this discussion serve at all? Only to pat each other on the back, and denounce anyone that doesn't feel the same?

TC you may feel like someone has thrown rocks at your country, but what the hell did you expect to happen when a moronic thread like this is allowed to exist? Obviously I am going to feel differently about your country than you yourself are.

As for your comment on paying for everything good in the world, don't you think that if you create some of the worlds problems you should have to foot the bill? IE IRAQI WAR?? By the way, you weren't the biggest supplier of aid in the last Tsunami crisis, not that that really matters but it is an example to counter your claims of supreme benevolence. If your nation was truly benevolent you wouldn't have to be patted on the shoulder for everything you do.

I do like the United States, but when a thread like this shows up, it kind of angers me, because there is no basis for a best nation, so you have the most money, a sizable military, the most obese people per capita in the world, one of the largest polluters, what does it matter?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I suggest someone take the title and change it too "what makes Americans think theyre the best?" as 99% of them are brainwashed into thinking.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Look to me america would be the last country i would want to live in, couldnt put up with all the advertisment and patriotism every god dam day. Now not to say we dont have any advertisement in australia, we do have plenty but no where near america. Anywho i will firstly agree that australia does depend upon america for militray back up, we dont spend no where near as much on our defence funds. So our government tends to suck up americas butt. So does this one tribute, that a country has a large military give it the basis for the best country? I dont think so.
Firstly the one badist thing about amercia is its gun laws. We are a fully civilized country over here, there is no need for guns. Not to say some criminals have them, but they are very hard to obtain which reduces the amount of killings alot. Farmers are still aloud to have their rifles, and anyone over 18 can obtain a gun licence and get most single shot guns, no semi-auto or auto weapons are aloud, and no handguns.
Next america has been known for to go to to make money, but business and the economy are a very slimsy thing, there has been plenty of depressions in the past. So at the moment the EU is on the rise, and from the amount america is spending in iraq and the cost of oil going up, i believe the america giant will be able to sustain itself much longer and will fall into a reccesion. Then the EU will become closer affiliated, and will become a super power in the world along with china. These are my opions by the way your more than happy to disagree.
So after those things put to the side, what lefts? I do not see any difference between australia and america. In healthcare we are higher, our econmy is on the grow, where i live, melbourne was rated the "best city to live in" the world last year, and we are also in both of the previous U.N. ratings. Also as quoted by the cool bud smoker also, we do not have very tight marijuana laws, melbourne is the strictest out of all the cities were it is not legal, but cops do not enforce the law on it unless you have alot on you and you are intending on stealing it. Plus no jail time, you jsut get a fine.
So look im not saying australia is the best country in the world at all, becasue we do lack in certain areas aswell, we have the highest teenage suicide rate, we are the biggest users of ecstasy in the world, we have very little national pride, or care in history since we have none, we are only a young country of just over 200 years. Most people dont even know our first prime minister, and to be honest i cant remember off the top of my head. lol And the speed limits are ridiculous! 50kmp on streets and 40km in school zones, this really pisses me off....Anyway Im planning to move to england soon for a few years, and maybe live in Amsterdam
for a few years then move to ireland and spain and hopeful italy later on. See the world and experience it.
Look america, your country is good im not saying its bad. It just doesnt suit my tastes. To me america is like a old trashy whore, past its prime and wearing lots of make up and showing lots of ass. But hey youve sleep with one trashy whore in your life? LoL All im trying to say americans, is be open minded and rethink all the propaganda patriostism that they pumped into when you where kids. If you think that it didnt happen to you, rethink it and see if when u tell a child santa claus is true. He will believe you no matter how ridiculous it is. Hey if no one every told u santa claus existed wold you still believe it? Maybe not, but america is ridiculousy bad....your a good country, so believing that your the best is easier to believe.
Anyway enough of my ramble, i just hope that i helped open one programmed person to come to their logical thought.

By the way cant be botherd checking for spelling mistakes, sorry if there is heaps...kinda stoned.

[edit on 14-4-2005 by wang]

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Oh I do certainly love my country, but I pawn for the days of old, were honesty, integrity, happiness, kindness, and caring weren't barted on the stock market. But, I fear for the future, because sometimes a conspiracy can really put a pinch on you just as the truth can. But watch, 20 years from now when were old and grey (something i'm not looking forward to) things might very well go back to the way it was. Were fear wasn't commonplace and some schmoe has the balls to label you a terrorist without an inkling of who you are. But I also admit it's not entirely bad, when I lived down south they were some of the friendliest people around, albeit racist but friendly nontheless. But were still not on the level were you can invite a neighbor over for dinner without being accused of obsessing over poisons. And about the military, no it isn't easy to join. I tried and i got burned big time, besides if you do one wrong thing your out, and that's it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join