It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a tattoo artist, the people I meet tell a troubling story

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 09:51 AM
link   
4 decades of tattooing people, I get all kinds in my chair for hours at a time.

They talk, open up, confide and tell secrets and I'm somehow a shrink

I mostly listen.

Mostly.

I've learned to love them all, but there's been a gradual change in folks over the years that I find troubling;

Used to be, it'd mostly tattoo bikers and sailors - you know, strong willed, hard working, independent, unafraid of confrontation, put effort into being in a community and always making an effort to help, protect, entertain, teach and love their group.

Now, everyone is getting Ink from all walks of life and I see over half in my chair as weak as I've ever seen. Not from the pain of needle, but from what they say.

Many hours I spend with them... many.

They waste there days on video games, worrying about little things that mean nothing, dependant on others to live, afraid of confrontation, totally enslaved by their job or spouse, weak beyond anything I've seen in the past.

They won't make it if they needed to depend on themselves. They're so clueless it seems they have no soul and operate solely on autopilot. They have no connection to anyone else but themselves.

Empty vessels.

We're taught that we're special, which makes us all about ourselves. If we're all special, then who is average?

So lost they are and don't even know it. I try to help, but rarely successful.

Few are left that could stand up, let alone would

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: godservant

Few are left that could stand up, let alone would

sadly, that mindset is why we are where we are today. We are all afraid to do something, as doing it, would fit into the stereotype that's been previously set up. So we all hide our anger and smile.

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: godservant

Sheep herded by the Wolves not the good shepherd, made to be reliant upon government to do there thinking, hedged in by laws that work only to control them, by systems of debt that chain them and by poverty the greatest tool of the elite that is used to strike both fear and loathing of others into them, told that greed is good, that saving not sharing is the way forward and that buying, buying, buying is there only purpose.

Sorry it is all by design, there is only one whom can set us free.

Don't think that these people are lesser than their forebears they are simply in a different situation and don't know any different.

Good and Evil both use systems to control but only one set's you free.

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Used to be, it'd mostly tattoo bikers and sailors

How many marshmallows did you see before social media? Probably not many?

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   

You have me curious as to what kind of imagery their getting as their ink.

Wondering if there's a symbolic trend or pattern of something that is common between these kids.

Hard to gauge really, as from what I understand tattoo artist deal with trends all the time.

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I hate seeing everyone with tattoos. I mean what is worse than seeing a chubby 40 something with sleeves? Its just ugly. Sorry, that is what I think.

Also, these days if you are an independent spirit and dont need to rely on anyone that seems to make people detest you. I used to have a pretty full social life. These days its just me and a couple of pals and my family. Other people wont talk to me because I say things they are afraid other people might hear or some such BS. Its annoying, but I am not going to let other peoples problems become mine.

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I've learned to love them all, but there's been a gradual change in folks over the years that I find troubling;

No there hasn’t been a change in people, what there has been a change in is the AMOUNT of people getting tattoos.

When I was little anyone that rode a motorcycle or got a tattoo was very scary. Now when we see these old guys on motorcycles we say they are “The Mild Ones” little SpongeBob humor there. Everyone and their aunt Sally is getting tattoos now. It is no longer forbidden, it is as common as getting your hair done.
You are seeing people that never would have stepped foot in your shop even 25 years ago.

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Oh and this thing with people putting their kids names or dates of deaths of loved ones on their skin. Seems so tasteless to me. But whenever I ask people about their stupid tattoos they perk up. I am guessing because otherwise they get no attention -- to be honest I have no idea why this is going on. It just seems pathetic. And thanks OP for bringing this up. Its been something that has been annoying me for about 10 years now.

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Hey! I hope things are good with you and your kindred. Your OP interests me and the replies too.

I guess I would fit into the old school clients. I have four tattoos. I had them done when I was younger. I chose so well and the themes are still really dear to me. It was deep.

I have a Lion of Judah on my arm; the one that Haile Selassie used as his emblem for this throne as Head of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. It is a Lion carrying the Cross. It is beautiful, in yellow, red and green. It is an emblem for Christ and the tribe of Judah. Haile was the last Christian king of a two thousand year Christian kingdom that fell to the communists in the early 1970s. He told his official not resist as he did not want any bloodshed. He had had enough of it. After they deposed him it is believed he was suffocated in the night as an old man under house arrest because he was taking too long to die. They buried him under the palace toliet, a shameful act. Guess what happened after they did that? A huge famine happpened as we know; "Feed the World ", "Band Aid" and all that. At the same time little Bob Marley suddenly sprang up out of the ghetto to world fame to let everyone know about the king, his martyrdom and fall of such an ancient Christian Kingdom to atheist violent communism. There is lots to read on this. Haile Selassie wrote two volumes of an autobiography in French that is translated into English. It is my way of wearing a scar as a memory for it. It was a wound upon me too that I carry.

I have a tattoo of a native American wolf with the Eye in the hill behind. A biker tattoist literally drilled it so deep across my heart. He was loving it and in his own way impressing the gravity of the experience on me. I was honoured for the experience. I read "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" at that time chronicling the genocide of the Native American Tribes, by Dee Brown. I spent a summer reading it and weeping on the grass outside the nurse's residence where I was shacking up with my girlfriend at the time. I kept crying page after page. It's a huge book of death and murder that takes weeks to read. I spent a few years with Shaman related stuff, but had to affirm my Christian faith and loyalty to Christ, do or die, in the finish. Yes, that is the wound and scar I wear over my heart to recall every day that evil happening. It really hurts to this day that the indigenous people get bullied and murdered by the land and resource grabs from the world market.

I have a Mermaid tattoo on my right arm. I am a water person. The sea is literally on my door step. I have a Crab tattoo. I ended up living with the fishermen and they do the crab and lobster pots. I'm a Cancerian too and the Moon is a major power in my psychological tides and creativity.

Tattoos are not for everybody. I have not had one for years. There is no need, but didn't I choose well as a youngster getting these. i love them all very much. They still look very good too as I am careful about sunbathing too quickly and too much. They were done very well: One by a guy in Newquay, Cornwall; one by a huge biker guy in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire and two by my fisherman friend's step dad in Redruth, Cornwall.

Yes, all the meaning and memory is still there. It was a torture of love, an artistic surrender to a self inflicted wound to show care, affection, mourning, remorse, interest and a message that this all matters.

I will let you into a secret. When i had the Lion of Judah one done in Redruth as the drill was a drillin' there was an afternoon silly gameshow on in the background on the little tv. Suddenly one of the contestants answered a very banal answer and said "Robert Nesta Marley" completely out of the blue. The show host looked at him very strangely as it had no relation to the question being asked. The tattoist lookedf at me very bemused and I was equally bemused. What a cool experience. i have had a few like that. There is some fun I want to share with you guys here over time, I hope.

Yes, you are artists. In the old days the Israelites were told not to do it, but I don't think it is too much of an issue these days. Amy Winehouse and Angelinas Jolie had them and they are Jewish women. I have met loads of young Jews who have them. As a Christian i don't see why it should be an issue because the skin perishes. They are just bodies that last a while and go to dust. Art is fun.

Stay blessed, artist!

edit on 8-10-2022 by Tarantula777 because: (no reason given)

(post by Mandroid7 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 02:15 PM
link   
im def average.
im a power lifter, i cant get my bench north of 400 lol.

if you bench 400, you are above average elite.

im just upper middle class in my bench.
but still middle class aka average lol

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 03:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: greendust
I hate seeing everyone with tattoos. I mean what is worse than seeing a chubby 40 something with sleeves? Its just ugly. Sorry, that is what I think.

Also, these days if you are an independent spirit and dont need to rely on anyone that seems to make people detest you. I used to have a pretty full social life. These days its just me and a couple of pals and my family. Other people wont talk to me because I say things they are afraid other people might hear or some such BS. Its annoying, but I am not going to let other peoples problems become mine.

C´mon man, lighten up, its art, people get to spend money on themselves while the artist gets paid, its the world we live in. By your logic, you see someone get out from a hair salon and go, ugh, that hair just looks ugly to me. or someone buying clothes that they like (not need) and then go, man those are some ugly clothes.

Anyway, i am sorry something has been troubling you for the past years to cause a reaction like that, take care man. Oh, and just in case you are in to the whole devils lettuce, might be worth it to stop for a while.
edit on 8-10-2022 by XipeTotex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 03:59 PM
link   

So lost they are and don't even know it. I try to help, but rarely successful.

I have no tattoo but please help me

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

You have me curious as to what kind of imagery their getting as their ink.

Wondering if there's a symbolic trend or pattern of something that is common between these kids.

Hard to gauge really, as from what I understand tattoo artist deal with trends all the time.

Funny, the type you're inquiring about usually get simple line work or words with no artistic flare.

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: XipeTotex

C´mon man, lighten up, its art, people get to spend money on themselves while the artist gets paid, its the world we live in.

Plus - it's something you have that no one can ever take away. The art on you is really yours. I paint on people and love the art, humbly.

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Why doesn’t it surprise me you are a cancer.

a reply to: Tarantula777

posted on Oct, 8 2022 @ 06:43 PM
link   

That's kind of telling from a psychological persective.

Incomplete and simplistic.

posted on Oct, 9 2022 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a friend of mine has a studio called mind paint.

want her to have her do one for me on my 70th.

my brother had mom and dad tats.

but ever get these people?

(post by jedi_hamster removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join