It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't figure this computer out... I'm lost.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I've got decades of experience with computers, and this one has me stumped. It's constantly reaching a blue screen with the below commands before loading the operating system, using the ssd or hdd, and removable media. The built in system test shows all hardware is good. i7 processor, 8gb ram, 1tb HDD with 128GB SSD. It is an HP Omen if that says anything. The thing won't even boot Linux.

This computer is the only one in the home with Nvidia graphics which one of my kids needs for an application.

BSOD screens show the following randomly every time it attempts to turn on.

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
edit on 29-8-2022 by Jeremiah33three because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Jeremiah33three
Have you recently updated your graphics driver? In many cases it can be related to that. Although that is a lot of BSOD errors.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ManSizedSquirrel

I doubt it's driver related as I've pulled the ssd and hdd and connected another computers hdd and got the same errors.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Did you do an operating system upgrade, at some point? If so, from what to what?

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: GlobalGold

It was always win 10

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jeremiah33three

I doubt it's driver related as I've pulled the ssd and hdd and connected another computers hdd and got the same errors.

The other HDD you put in, was it same operating system as what this has now? If this operating system was upgraded, it it possible to connect an older operating system HDD to it?

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jeremiah33three

It was always win 10

But it didn't always have these errors, right?

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Interesting, how about the ram? I know that “ IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” relates to memory.
edit on 29-8-2022 by ManSizedSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Both hdds were windows 10, and it never had these errors before. The first few times, it loaded windows and then almost immediately crashes, now it does not load windows at all other than bsod.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I'll try to get some ram for it and test, but the internal system test on the BIOS showed that it's all good.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Sounds familiar.
Back 2 pCs ago, I was running windows XP with a expensive Nvidia card for gaming. When it was booting up, it would flash a blue screen for a second , and it may very well be the same thing you are seeing. I had a professional work on my PC once and he saw that, and was surprised. He said thats not supposed to happen. I told him it happens everytime. I think it still does. Its out in the garage now

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:48 PM
link   

If you get the same problems on other computers, why would the problems be RAM related on just the primary computer?

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm confused. It's just this computer. The hdd was from another computer that I temporarily tried to boot this one with. No other computers in the home have any problems. The computer I borrowed the hdd from still works fine after having its hdd put back in. The hp blue-screens no matter what I try to boot.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Can you access bios at least. im no expert rather amateur actually but perhaps some settings are conflicting the booting. like the hdd modes ahci, sata, ide etc are they properly set, perhaps some hdds have to be formatted to match the modes.

Other than that sometimes i have had to swich ram sticks between their places to get boot up, some weird issues dunno but might be worth to try, also testing one ram at time to make sure its the same problem with each ram stick

Next i wonder might power supply be running its course near end or merely not be providing enough power to the set up

LE: also some systems i had to take usb like mice/keyboard off while booting and then just place them back on when it boots normal
edit on 29-8-2022 by romilo because: added one more idea

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: romilo

That's interesting, the charger that was used for about a year was the wrong current but it worked. It was from a much lower end computer of the same manufacturer. The battery is shot, but both cables provided enough power to run.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I misunderstood.

Maybe try installing with the graphics card OUT ?

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I'm so credentialed in this crap it's ridiculous. and you say HP Omen; there are Omen laptops & desktops. which?
from the assumption its a desktop:

Can you get into BIOS? if not, unhook everything NOT required to access BIOS. unhook hard drive. if you have 2 ram sticks and it'll boot with one, pull the 2ned one.
if it has integrated graphics, hook up to integrated graphics. unplug the mouse. motherboard, cpu, ram, IGA, keyboard. NOW can you get to bios?
No? see if you can find a bios reset jumper or if there is a battery you can pull out, wait a couple of minutes and replace, and try again.
if still no bios, you have at least narrowed down the problem.

if there was a "yes" in there somewhere, make a Linux Mint USB boot stick. just google "linux mint usb bootable" and follow directions.

boot using it. everything work great? go back to windows boot into safe mode; if it CAN boot into safe mode, sometimes that will fix things, all on its own. if you can boot into safe mode, and it still gives you bluescreen out of safe mode, bad drivers; go back into safemode, uninstall recently installed software ESPECIALLY drivers. if you rip out everything recent, can onlt boot into safemode, it COULD be a virus... but...

sorry, you have likely been infected with microsoft malware. the only fix is to either install windows 10 AME, Windows 7 (and NEVER run windows update), or the rare Windows 9 (which is really windows 8 with fixes, but someone called it windows 9, and...). W@indows 10 AME is probably your best bet. you can download it from archive.org, and as long as you NEVE#R run EDGE browser, you are cool.

seriously, I have had 2 hard drived and 3 motherboards DESTROYED by the windows 10 "Update" process in the last year. the windows 11 update? if you don't have the RIGHT TPM (Trustworthy Platitude Monitoring, I believe), it'll cook your board. Milspec A66 MSI motherboard, poof.

edit: sorry, if none of this works, no bios, no linux, then i'd personally think that something has blown up the motherboard; CPU should still be ok, RAM, etc. odds are it's the UEFI, microsoft messes with it, and for your convenience it's now accessible from the internet! it COULD be the power supply, if you are getting an unsteady 5VDC, everything goes screwy. of course, the obvious. a failed firmware update (or an invalid one) can cause this.

one question, though; you said everything tested good? how?

edit on 29-8-2022 by RealDealer because: left out stuff

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'd love to try that, but it's a laptop.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Maybe:

Update BIOS to latest version

The next thing is to completely remove Nvidia drivers using DDU: Completely remove everything from Nvidia using DDU and install the newest copy of the driver available.

www.guru3d.com...

Head to Nvidia or to get the newest driver.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:18 PM
link   
1) If you have tried another computer's HDD , was it from an IDENTICAL system ? (And I mean IDENTICAL) . Otherwise , you just wasted time .

2) You could try loading UEFI (BIOS) defaults or optimized defaults , save and exit . (pi__ poor overclocks can cause this)
Overclock is bad . Don't do overclock . Undervolt either . No matter what you read online.

At one time I had one bad SATA cable and it caused all kinda weirdness . Took ME a month to figure that one out .
Then I had some strangeness , and it turned out to be my HDMI cable was loose on the TV .

That is what you are troubleshooting .

edit on 8/29/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join