It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the Kurds have their own country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
i think the Kurds should have their own country because they've never had a place to call home i mean they've always been pushed around by the turks and i think its about time they stand up and establish their own country.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yes, that is quiet reasonable, they should have their country, and all the other nations who are repressed, I will make a list, and post it later here or on another topic. This is something we can not let for greater nations to do anymore.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think it would be the second Israel, and of course with the same problems. I'am not very into the history of the Kurdians. The differenc between the Kurd's and the Israeli's is that the Kurd's don't have any aliance, and it would be very very difficult for them to establish their own country.

But even if there is an revolution, it would probably end up with an intervene of UN troops, because the world isnt making any difference between revolution and terrorisum, oh, sorry, if there were large oil fields, the Kurds automaticly would become the status "terrorists" -> the US gets in with their troops -> killing innocent people (war on terror) -> the zionist's get richer.

My point is, whatever the Kurds do, there will be a military intervene (invasion)... so, it doesn't make anty sense to me.

Greetings from Bulgaria

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
First you need to look at several questions. Can the kurds rule themselves? Does the majority actually want to? Also are the countries willing to give up land?

I do heared allot of stories that the kurds in turkey werent all that pro kurd state. Allot of kurds have been killed for those ideas by kurds who do want it. Similair to the situation now with muslims attacking other muslims because they cooperate too much with the west.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
They are an oppressed people from all sides. The Kurds who have fought in Iraq are some of the bravest I warriors. Fearlessly running INTO a fire fight with only one magazine! They are so passionate and seem to overcome any obstacles that are put in front of them.

I think they are truly admirable and deserve to have their own country.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I agree with Bulgarian, it'd be like a second Israel. I think the Kurds SHOULD have their own state, but I don't think it's all that feasible, it'd probably be absorbed by Turkey. I find it kind of odd how much animosity exists between the Turkey and the Iraqi Kurds. The only reason Turkey wanted to contribute any troops to the Iraq war was to keep an eye on the Kurds and make sure they don't get an independent state (to which the Turkish Kurds would probably go.)

The Kurds are capable of ruling themselves - they've been pretty much autonomous for the last few decades. With Saddam gone, they have the potential to be a very wealthy little country (if they become one) too with the huge oil deposits around Mosul and Kirkuk that they can develop and actually keep the money for themselves.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The supposed to be kurdish nation is divided between 4 countries: Syria, Irak, Iran and Turkey... 2 "allied" to the US and 2 members of the Axis of evil which further complicates the matter.
But once the US starts to get problems with Irak and Turkey it'll surely play out the kurdish cards but for now it keeps them for the "good" time.

Sep

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
IMHO, it is simply too soon for the Kurds to try to form their own country. Most of the Kurds know this. They are proud people and dont want to be anyone's pupets. If they form a nation now they will lose everything. They have to wait a while till they gain some strength in Iraq before they can do anything.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I very much doubt that the US will turn its back on turkey. Turkey always has been a good ally of the us.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I very much doubt that the US will turn its back on turkey. Turkey always has been a good ally of the us.

I will save that comment for later. We have all seen many times how quickly the US can turn on a former Ally

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Have you seen the size of the area that the Kurds want as their country?

kurdistan.org...
kurdistan-maps

It's huge.
It would be one of the largest countries in the Middle East.

I don't think they should get their own country.
A lot of the Kurds are terrorists.

PKK

Primary PKK targets are Turkish Government security forces in Turkey but also has been active in Western Europe against Turkish targets. Conducted attacks on Turkish diplomatic and commercial facilities in dozens of West European cities in 1993 and again in spring 1995. In an attempt to damage Turkey's tourist industry, the PKK has bombed tourist sites and hotels and kidnapped foreign tourists.

www.aina.org...

Assyrians did not fare better in their ancient capital of Nineveh (present day Mosul) or Karkuk. In these cities, Assyrians were subjected to terror raids by Kurdish bandits. Residents of these and other northern Iraqi cities were harassed, intimidated, and sometimes shot. Homes, businesses, and government buildings were looted and burned. News footage showed traffic jams leading into and out of the cities with empty Kurdish vehicles lined up trying to enter the cities to loot and over loaded vehicles full of booty lining up to leave the cities. In Karkuk, armed Kurdish terrorists evicted unarmed civilian residents at gunpoint without hearing or due process. One Assyrian observing the apparently premeditated terror inflicted by the Kurds lamented "They seem to relish being the perennial barbarians at the gates -- forever the bandits waiting for a lapse in authority to reek havoc and ransack civilization."

"The Kurdish onslaught was not supposed to happen!" cried another Assyrian. "We had been given assurances that they would not enter the cities." Indeed, in the lead up to the war, the US expended enormous diplomatic capital in an effort to balance the desires of Kurdish paramilitary forces to march into Karkuk and Mosul with Turkey's trepidation over the possible establishment of an economically viable Kurdish break-away regime in northern Iraq. According to earlier reports, an US -brokered agreement between Turkey, the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK), would keep Kurdish forces out of Mosul and Karkuk in exchange for Turkey not invading Iraq.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
that is a little to big maybe they should cut down on their country before starting it.

top topics

join